April 29, 2024, 10:37:20 AM

Author Topic: NFL Giants Strahan ordered to pay ex-wife $15 million interesting read  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile

January 13, 2007

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- New York Giants star Michael Strahan was ordered to pay his ex-wife $15.3 million -- more than half his net worth -- in keeping with the couple's prenuptial agreement.

Under the agreement, Jean Strahan was entitled to 50 percent of their joint marital assets and 20 percent of his yearly income from each year they were married.

ADVERTISEMENT

"She's grateful to the court," Jean Strahan's lawyer, Ellen Marshall, told The Associated Press on Saturday. "She looks forward to her future, raising their children and moving forward."

A call to Michael Strahan's attorney, Robert Penza, and his agent, Tony Agnone, were not immediately returned.

The NFL star had contended he wasn't responsible for the 20 percent because his wife failed to ask for it every year. But state Superior Court Judge James Convery disagreed, ruling "the plaintiff is not credible in his claim that the defendant never asked for her separate funds."

In addition to the $15.3 million, Convery awarded Jean Strahan hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support. The couple married in 1999.

"It pays to tell the truth, and I told the truth," Jean Strahan said in Saturday's New York Post. "I never asked for a penny more than the prenup that Michael and his lawyers wrote and made me sign. And all I ever asked for was that to be upheld."

truetrini

Re: NFL Giants Strahan ordered to pay ex-wife $15 million interesting read
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:50:56 AM »
Strahan's divorce trial gets real ugly

By AUSTIN FENNER and DAVE GOLDINER
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

New York Giants sack king Michael Strahan grimaces in the stand yesterday during his nasty divorce case with estranged wife, Jean. 

Jean Strahan 

Michael Strahan's nasty divorce trial hit a new low yesterday - as his estranged wife suggested the Giants sack king and handsome married TV doctor Ian Smith are more than just friends.

After the couple's marriage collapsed, "Michael moved into Ian's one-bedroom apartment," Jean Strahan told reporters after another bruising day in divorce court.

"And you can say an alternative lifestyle sprouted," she added, though her lawyer stopped her before she could elaborate.

The blond mother of two dropped the bombshell after the burly gridiron great made her cry in court when he testified that he couldn't remember her birthday.

"He basically denied we ever existed," Jean Strahan, 41, said angrily. "It was devastating to hear."

Michael Strahan himself hinted at some controversy when he said in court that he wasn't sure whether one of his love letters was addressed to "Jean" or "John."

"I've been accused ..." Strahan, 34, quipped on the witness stand before cutting himself off in midsentence and flashing his gap-toothed smile.

Strahan's lawyer rejected any hint that there's anything more than a friendship between his client and Smith.

"It sounds like sour grapes by someone who doesn't like what's going on in the court," said attorney Robert Penza.

Ian Smith derided Jean Strahan's comments as "absolutely ridiculous."

"This is laughable," said Smith, a best-selling author and medical correspondent for ABC's "The View." "I am a very happily married man."

Later, Jean Strahan's lawyer tried to back away a bit.

"I don't think she's making a definitive allegation," said Ellen Marshall, the lawyer. "Couples have private squabbles. This is one of them."

Smith's name has come up several times in the bitter Strahan vs. Strahan divorce case, which seems to get uglier by the day - rife with allegations of infidelity and arguments over who's the bigger spender.

Jean Strahan said she was miffed when her husband brought Smith into the hospital room when she gave birth to twin girls in 2004.

She also charged that Smith hooked Strahan up with extramarital affairs with women in Los Angeles and Toronto - claims the NFL star has repeatedly denied.

When things really got ugly last year, Smith put Strahan up at his upper East Side pad after the athlete's marriage imploded.

The doctor insisted he was simply doing what anyone would do for a friend in need.

"Michael Strahan is one of my best friends and needed a place to stay after he was kicked out of his own home," Smith said. "I let him sleep on my couch as any best friend would do."

Smith, 36, wed his longtime girlfriend, high-powered Chicago lawyer Triste Lieteau, last year in a glittering candlelit ceremony at the Rainbow Room.

Even before Jean Strahan's explosive comments, things were already testy as the Strahans sparred over their big-bucks divorce in Essex County Family Court in Newark.

Her lawyer, Marshall, unveiled a string of sticky-sweet love letters in an effort to debunk Michael Strahan's claim that his wife abandoned their marriage.

"It's my first day of camp, I already miss you," Strahan wrote from Giants training camp in 2004.

In another letter, the 275-pound defensive tackle wrote the words "I love you" over and over - 24 times in all.

"Thanks for taking care of me," he wrote to her after an injury. "I promise to always take care of you."

Jean Strahan kept hundreds of gooey love letters to document their romance.

But she burst into tears when Strahan, sitting just 6 feet away, said he didn't know why one was dated March 22. It turns out that is her birthday.

He also said he didn't remember several cards, including one created from the ultrasound image of their twins during her pregnancy.

"I compiled them all because it's the only history of our love," Jean Strahan said. "That's going to be the only history of us together."

Originally published on June 21, 2006

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »
What kind of prenup agreement gives away more than half? Isn't the whole point of one to ensure that you get to keep your money?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:33:44 PM »
What kind of prenup agreement gives away more than half? Isn't the whole point of one to ensure that you get to keep your money?

I think he was putting all his salary in a joint account, thus making it a marital asset. so she get her 20% off the top and then they split his 80% down the middle.  at least that was my understanding of the article they had in the NY papers a few days ago.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:38:51 PM by daryn »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »
Me eh understand dem fellahs in dis day and age nah

If he and he wife build de wealth together...fine!! de woman deserve every penny she get

You mean to say she come after de money make..and he puttin it in joint account??  :o..especially considerin de kinda short career dem fellahs does have...dais pure assness

Look ah nex mad woman...de 'tan'tie in de middle

Kidd had to file ah restrainin order fuh she oui

Yuh tink dais ah embrace...dais ah headlock in smart  ;D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Strahan's wife sells his stuff at garage sale
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 04:22:47 PM »
Strahan's wife sells his stuff at garage sale

MONTCLAIR, N.J. (AP) -- New York Giant defensive end Michael Strahan's ex-wife held a posh garage sale Saturday at her Montclair mansion, allowing bargain hunters to sift through and cart away the defunct millionaire couple's cast-offs.

Items on sale outside of the $3.6 million home included cocktail dresses, a bronze football statue, handmade rugs, antiques and a set of cassette tapes on how to make relationships survive.

Diehard Giants fan and Montclair resident Jamal Callaway walked away from the sale with two televisions, with 32- and 20-inch screens, for only $100.

"I get to cheer for Mike on his TV," Callaway told The Star-Ledger of Newark.

When asked if the televisions were flat screens, he replied: "She's not that mad at him."

Jean Strahan is fighting to get the $6.5 million she says her ex-husband still owes her following their 2005 divorce, a legal proceeding that became notorious for its mudslinging.

In court papers filed last month, she claimed that she can't afford to keep the 30-room mansion, which has an eight-car garage and clear views of the New York skyline.

In January, a judge awarded her $15.3 million and set child support at $18,000 a month. Michael Strahan has paid more than half of the money but is arguing that the remaining $6.5 million is too much.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The part that getting me is,
After yuh done collect $15m from the man. Yuh still get child support?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
well child support is for the child(ren).  The divorce settlement is between the former husband and wife. 

I doh see nothing wrong with asking the man to continually put money towards the children's upbringing, esp if he going to continue being lucratively paid. 

all that being said, I sure she eh spending all that money on the children.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So you saying that is not enough to get Half he assets. You must suck money from him for the kids too.
If yuh eh getting nutten, that is one thing. (like Ralph Sampson kids) But at some point I feel is just vindictive. True the same laws must apply to all. but what about common sense? If she cyah raise them kids on $15m then she unfit to have custody.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
is not a matter of whether or not she have enough money to mind dem on her own.  he is the father, so he should contribute also.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:26:49 AM »
yeah, he contribute $15M!

I jus find they should take that into consideration.

1]; } ?>