April 26, 2024, 09:30:11 PM

Author Topic: What's needed in this team?  (Read 820 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
What's needed in this team?
« on: July 13, 2005, 07:20:35 AM »
For the men who have seen the team play recently, what (not who) in your opinion does the team need to overcome the problems we've encountered.

Also how does the Costa Rica game in TT compare with the GC matches?
Live large and prosper!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: What's needed in this team?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 07:30:55 AM »
Our main problem is preparations and fitness, if we had prepare for the gold cup we would have known what we can or cannot do and what needs fixing, we went into the Gold Cup blind folded, now lets see what we can do vs USA, the Gold Cup revealed many things.

The Costa Rica game was much better than all the Gold Cup games. I believe the best game we played to date is the game vs Mexico. We improved in the pocession part of the game and the tactical part, our players needs to imporve, they give up and lose focus to easy.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fitness is the Key
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 07:49:40 AM »
That is my personal opinion, and maybe a couple selections.

Every single team in the gold cup has players who consistently run into space to provide support, a simple thing like this we dont do.
Stern only run to goal, ok he is a forward, and his job is to finish, but the rest of men dont give too much support either.
We always chasing the game, and when we get tired, we cyah even trap or have the heart to press and fight.
 vs. Panama and Mex, we showed decent fitness, but now is season break and we players suffering. I remember the same thing happen vs Jamaica in POS in 2000 when we lost and man jus come back from holiday etc etc.
So with improved fitness, I feel we will do better, as Mexico and Panama games, and even CR to an extent showed.
The next thing is selection. I know the coach sees the players more than anyone does, and he picks based on merit, mainly what he sees in training. This immediately suggests that men like Cyd and them have real big hearts, and does run they liverstone out in practise. But in game situations at this level and pressure, practise and game is very different. Men here complain that CG et al aint no true warriors, what madness! Did it ever occur to anyone that they might just not be up to this level of ball?? Nothing wrong with that, not all of us cut out to be superstars.
Cyd Gray should be overlooked now, I saw him as a weak link in the team, and apparantly the other teams did too, thats why they attack on his side so much. They also exert very high pressure on him when he had the ball, forcing him to go back to Jack 95% of the times, he just dont have the vision and technique under pressure to bring the ball up.
Sancho is much better, but like he playing West Indian cricketer now and always injured.
At left back, I find Avery do well.
Birchall deserve to stay, he still young and will improve with more international experience and stop playing so naive.
Seaton pulling stones, should be put in with Gray on a B team or feeder or something.
Spann on my borderline, but he aint starting ahead of Dwight in the attacking middle position in front the white boy.
Theobald is a next one who lapsing big time too, like he never recover fully from his injury, I will put him in Spann bucket and monitor him good, but cant start in front Carlos.
Samuel - well, we dont have much options on the left wing, so I guess him. I woulda go all the pro league game and just look for a left winger, we must have one fella who we could groom. It is sorely needed.
Stern need to bench for a while, he not at his best, and for quite a while now.I would start Jones up front with Glen and see how they operate together from the start. Stern could be a sub if anything.
What happen to the strikey from NE stars, forget his name? (not nixon).
As for the keepers, Shaka, Ince or Jack, I ok, I prefer any of the first 2 still though, but Jack coming along.

If we address them 2 main issues sooner rather than later, we MIGHT be in line to give the US a decent run in August.
Fitness and player selection.
Playing time together is crap, most of them fellas playing eons together now, nuff games practise already.
Team tactics and scouting opponents is also critical, but i assuming leo is one of the best in the region.
I just hope he not getting interference from anyone presently....

1]; } ?>