April 27, 2024, 04:26:51 AM

Author Topic: New T&T passport  (Read 29261 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New T&T passport
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »
All ah hearing on the radio (TnT) is that there's a new passport coming out soon. According to what the ads say, supposedly some immigration (ports outside Trinidad and Tobago) usually gives citizens grief with the current passport. This new passport is supposed to have better secutiy features.

My question is this..My TnT passport does not expire until 2008, are these new passports "a must" ?  Or is it just recommended to get the new one?

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Passport Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:12:34 PM »
All ah hearing on the radio (TnT) is that there's a new passport coming out soon. According to what the ads say, supposedly some immigration (ports outside Trinidad and Tobago) usually gives citizens grief with the current passport. This new passport is supposed to have better secutiy features.

My question is this..My TnT passport does not expire until 2008, are these new passports "a must" ?  Or is it just recommended to get the new one?

Ah didn't hear anything bout it but I am assuming dat you have until yu old one expires and den you change it to de new one.  Dis is what happened to me when I had to change to de current one.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:16:35 PM »
Don't know if this will answer your question.

http://www.ttmissions.com/forms.html

Excerpt from this link:

Passport Renewals

This application kit is for holders of Trinidad and Tobago citizenship who want to obtain a new Trinidad and Tobago passport. Please note that passports issued prior to Feb. 1, 1994 are no longer valid. Holders of these passports will need to apply for a new “T- series” passport.
 Requirements for Passport Renewals (135KB)

Passport Extensions
Please be advised that the Trinidad and Tobago Government is proceeding to introduce a new machine readable passport for issuance to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. As a consequence, effective Monday 11th July, 2005, the current Trinidad and Tobago passports will not be renewed/replaced; however the holders of the current type passports may apply for an extension of the validity of those documents. An extension would be granted valid for two (2) years (NO CHARGE). * More Information

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:17:03 PM »
Jus checked de website and it didn't have anything on a new passport being issued.  Will dig some more

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 02:53:30 PM »
Yea.. as mentioned, they have the ads playing on the radio. I think the new one comes out in Feb.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »
Update.. just heard that the new passport was launched today by the national security ministry. The new one has some sort of finger print id thing embedded.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »
Well look at dat and de passport office website doh ahve nutting on it.  As usual, keep us posted Jumbie :beermug:

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 03:24:45 PM »
Well my TT passport expires this September anyway, so I guess I will be getting one of those new ones soon enough
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »
The new ones are for 5 years and not 10 years like the old ones.

Trinidad Express
New-type passports from today
Wednesday, January 17th 2007

AFTER today, the Immigration Division will no longer be issuing and extending the current passport.

This as Immigration, a division of the Ministry of National Security, will be commissioning the new Machine Readable Passport (MRP) System today.

In an advertisement in the daily newspapers yesterday, the Ministry of National Security said that the issuing of passports under the MRP system would come into effect from January 24.

At a post-Cabinet press briefing last week, Minister of National Security, Martin Joseph, said the new passports would cost $250, which is $100 more than the old ones.

He said the passport would also run for a term of five years instead of the ten years of the previous passport.

The minister said the Immigration Division will soon host a press conference to alert the public on the details of the MRP.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:56:08 PM by dcs »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:27:53 PM »
them guyanese might get them b4 we do. :devil: :devil:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FGI: Miami Consulate website
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 08:58:31 AM »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FGI: Miami Consulate website
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:15 AM »
i hear they real helpful there.

make sense since a Naps man running things.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
I took my wife there to renew her passport and the service although slow was pretty good.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »
I took my wife there to renew her passport and the service although slow was pretty good.

Slow is not the word, and it was me alone in there the SEVERAL times that I had to go to pickup a passport that I was told was ready over the phone, which could not be found when I drove ALL THE DAMN WAY TO THE OFFICE. They need a better phone system to help the receptionist, when she is there, and that writing in book thing she and her relief doing remind me of the '60's from before I was born.

Mustbe was me alone then who find they need real improvement.

On the other hand they were all quite friendly in a very Trini sort of way so man just keep cool collect mi passport 2 weeks late and went about mi business.

Wha' yuh go do.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »
They need a better phone system to help the receptionist, when she is there, and that writing in book thing she and her relief doing remind me of the '60's from before I was born.

This exists elsewhere in our diplomatic universe and I understand fully your reaction. Tip of the iceberg.

There is so much that needs to be done in the arena it ain't funny. That said, there are some other things that can be remedied without tapping the public purse.

Has anyone seen a passport application form recently? Why are the frigging blocks (for filling in one's name) so tiny? It's a challenge to make the letters fit. Even the crossword puzzle blocks in a newspaper are bigger.

Also, there are not enough blocks to accommodate the length of several typical names. Wth?

http://www.ttmissions.com/documents/Passport_Form_A.pdf

Ah mean, assuming your pop's full name is 'Robert Ramkissoon' de blasted thing won't fit ... and we all know that several Trini names are more involved than this (Sumintra Buswahroopsingh comes to mind ;)) ... and that's interpreting the full name absenting the middle name or even initial.

The form itself bears no indication of being a document produced by the Gov't of T&T ...

Also, with respect to Item #7 ... declaration of recommender ... it is conceivable that the recommender is NOT a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago yet the form does not accomodate this reality.

And, dahs jes de form  ...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:20:16 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New TT passport
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 04:09:03 AM »
Home based I need some help.
Mih passport only have about a square inch of free space left so I need a new passport.
I can't get one here so I'll be home for 10 days this month.

Is it possible to get one in that time and can I do it without bribing somebody ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New TT passport
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »
don think so ,last I heard is months .

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 05:47:43 AM »

Nah yuh joking, The last time ah change it in 2004 it take 3 days but ah paid a lil extra to fast track it.
Now with the machine readible ah expect it to take a lil longer but not months.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 06:24:31 AM »

Nah yuh joking, The last time ah change it in 2004 it take 3 days but ah paid a lil extra to fast track it.

You have to get an appointment and I not sure but I doh think it have available for this year...but u cud call the TTPOST number they have and see.

People have been going offices far from where they live to get it...like Pt Fortin and Tobago.  By next year EVERYBODY need to get the new passports so u can imagine the lines, waiting times.  When u actually get the appointment set aside about 2-3 days and try to make it midweek.
Getting a new passport might be the most difficult thing to do these days.  Check and see if u can get it from a consulate abroad...not sure if they started doing that yet.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 07:23:10 AM »
How much for a Trini Passport again?
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 07:59:09 AM »

You have to get an appointment and I not sure but I doh think it have available for this year...but u cud call the TTPOST number they have and see.

People have been going offices far from where they live to get it...like Pt Fortin and Tobago.  By next year EVERYBODY need to get the new passports so u can imagine the lines, waiting times.  When u actually get the appointment set aside about 2-3 days and try to make it midweek.
Getting a new passport might be the most difficult thing to do these days.  Check and see if u can get it from a consulate abroad...not sure if they started doing that yet.

I keep reading about all the problems but I thought that was for people that applying for the first time, ah guess yuh suggesting ah try England ?

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »
fish is no scene dred..jus call and explain de scene and they will link yuh..yuh might have to go down to the new office in point or grande
i called and told them i was leaving for school and i got an appointment this month self
the hardest part is actually gettin thru on the phone
Back in Trini...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 09:53:52 AM »
O...and u have your electronic cirth certificate already?
I think u need that...and if u doh have it then it slows things down a lot.

But yea find out everything u can about getting it outside...i know they supposed to eventually be able to process applications from abroad but i dunno what the timeline for that is/was

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 10:16:06 AM »
U need d new birth paper worst case scenario is dat u get an extension
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 10:18:58 AM »

I keep reading about all the problems but I thought that was for people that applying for the first time, ah guess yuh suggesting ah try England ?
Dat might be yuh best bet. Yuh would probably get de older passport, but at least it good fuh 10 years unlike de new one which is only good for 5 years.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »
well, you have to have the electronic birth cert, yes, but without an appt you can go to the offices and prepare to sit and wait. Try to get there early- their appts go by the hour e.g. 9-10 or 11-12 so try to go on the half hour,e.g. 11.30 and you should get a number...
then you have to pay double $500 and ask for the pp to be done in a week. normal is now up to 6 weeks min.
if you explain your situation they are generally willing to help- go with a nice attitude and you'll get through
 ;D
good luck

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »
Ann3boys have the answer...

Best bet go to a consulate outside of TT and do it there.

I did mine in Miami...it took a few hrs. I dropped off the old one in the morning, went bayside lime, come back around 2 and it was ready.

I going and try that same skeff in a few months time.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »
thanks for the advice guys...mine expiring nex year so i going and send it miami like i did the last time.  i called them back in 99 and they were helpful, hopefully i get the same treatment this time.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
In NYC my breddrin get it in 30 minutes.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 04:38:34 AM »
Passport paralysis

Sunday, September 14th 2008 (Express)

The heavily advertised new arrangements suggest a radical departure from the old days of lining up well before dawn simply to get a number that gave one a chance of that brief interview necessary for obtaining a machine readable passport.

But has anything really changed? It is true than some manage even to secure that passport appointment. But this newspaper continues to be inundated with letters complaining of the inability to make contact with the hotline to secure the appointment, or of the dates of the granted appointments, some even granted for 2009.

Many have simply complained of bureaucratic runaround or even of the requirement of a particular colour of ink. It is true nevertheless that it is possible to have accelerated treatment on compassionate grounds, but each is dealt with on an individual basis and an applicant never really knows until he or she actually visits a passport office whether the application qualifies.

One really irksome requirement is the submission of a computerised birth certificate, seeing that these are generated from exactly the same database from which hand-written copies were at one time made available for a small fee in postage stamps.

Obtaining a computerised birth certificate can also be a challenge, especially if the applicant is elderly, where the Ministry expects applicants to name persons who may corroborate information. Errors nevertheless occur.

The provision of a passport is the function of the Public Service operating under the management of a Minister in accordance with policies that are determined from time to time by Cabinet.

Minister Cox informs the nation that from December 31st 2009 all old non-machine readable passports will become invalid, giving the approximate number of them being in excess of 400,000. It is also claimed that that the Immigration Division produces about 1400 machine readable passports each week so that anyone, even a SEA student, doing the arithmetic will tell you that it will take a few years to replace the old passports. What then? Thousands of citizens after December 31st 2009 simply trapped within the country unable to travel.

Each administration repeats the mantra of reforming the public service to ensure that it provides necessary services to the public, but there is little evidence of any serious change.

Minister Browne may suggest that we do not have a culture of service in the Public Service, indirectly shedding the matter to the Public Services, while public servants will lay the blame on the Minister and Cabinet for the system that it is supposed to operate and the failure to provide the human resources. And who suffers? But readers can be sure of one thing-not everyone actually has to go through the process to obtain a new passport.  

1]; } ?>