April 19, 2024, 05:38:34 AM

Author Topic: Why top international clubs stop coming to Trinidad and Tobago?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why top international clubs stop coming to Trinidad and Tobago?
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:03:15 PM »
I have a question Why is it that top international clubs stop coming to Trinidad and Tobago? Is it because they get big money to go to the United States and Asia or we just stop inviting them to our island. With that said I meet the directors of Falkirk football club during the World Cup I ask him to bring his team to Trinidad he said that it would be too much money to travel all the way to Trinidad but it sound like a good idea
I say the Pro league should invite four international club during there summer brake for a mini tournament with four teams from the PFL  that way some off our players could get some exposures. Let meh say this I had a lot off ideas before if some off you remember my ideas for the PFL 4 years ago they now starting to implement them hopefully this could be done in the next two years only because this summer will be the Gold Cup.

So know lets say the PFL loves this ideas and wants to run with what teams should they invite to generate excitement among the T&T pubic   

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Why top international clubs stop coming to Trinidad and Tobago?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:45:45 PM »

What condition the football fields in now?
Add to that we now have limited direct flights from London.

Those things not the reason they not coming but if they were interested those things not going to help.

The MetroStars came a little while ago.
If we hosted a mini tournament for clubs from different leagues who might be interested in each others players that might work.

Sheffield United...their Belgium feeder club....W Connection...maybe KC Wizards or some other MLS team.  I say Tobago is the best place for dem during summer but gate receipts won't be able to pay for it.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:59:42 PM »
I have a question Why is it that top international clubs stop coming to Trinidad and Tobago? Is it because they get big money to go to the United States and Asia or we just stop inviting them to our island. With that said I meet the directors of Falkirk football club during the World Cup I ask him to bring his team to Trinidad he said that it would be too much money to travel all the way to Trinidad but it sound like a good idea
I say the Pro league should invite four international club during there summer brake for a mini tournament with four teams from the PFL  that way some off our players could get some exposures. Let meh say this I had a lot off ideas before if some off you remember my ideas for the PFL 4 years ago they now starting to implement them hopefully this could be done in the next two years only because this summer will be the Gold Cup.

So know lets say the PFL loves this ideas and wants to run with what teams should they invite to generate excitement among the T&T pubic   

It's a good idea. Usually international teams would bring their team only if they think the Trinidad market will help their club in some way or the other. Falkirk probably bankrupt (or close too) or not interested in any of our players that's why they talking that nonsense. If they don't think that their are players in Trinidad that can make a contribution to their team then they would not pursue the trip.

In addition, teams would also come if they think that the country can promote their team well enough to increase a fan base.

As mentioned before, it all goes back to marketing (would their club be affected in a positive manner?). There are also other factors which clubs look into. EPL, SPL teams would not bring their team here for pre-season because they may think that is not a strong enough pre-season.

What I think we could do is invite smaller clubs initially (instead of big clubs) and make sure that it is well organized (funded, advertised, etc). In this way, hopefully the bigger clubs can hear through the grape vine that the experience in Trinidad is a good one and thus be encouraged to bring their team to our country.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:14:21 PM »

That's a very good idea. It should be in the summer when these teams are in preseason in England. I think that will help the Pro league to test themselves against some English/Scottish teams, but also a few teams from Spain, Germany, France and Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombian, and Mexican would be a good thing.

This should be done every year. Once marketed properly money could be made from it as well as the players getting exposure to different opposition, and who knows maybe some teams might sign a few players if they make an impact.
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 05:02:50 PM »
I say we bring a team from Brazil Sao Palo two from Europe EPL SPL teams Birmingham they will be in the EPL  only because they have a connection with Stern football program maybe AC Milan Rangers or Falkirk  and one from Africa  Orlando Pirates is a good team I really don’t like our players going to the MLS so I personally would not invite an MLS team.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:38:41 PM »
didnt Newcastle come down the other day?
when was the last time a British team came down?
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 05:43:05 PM »
de other day try 5 years ago the last team was Dundee

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
de other day try 5 years ago the last team was Dundee
lol
i sure newcastle was down there bout 2-3 years ago
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 07:28:11 PM »
Lemme answer de question.. They stop coming because de does get embarrased every time by ah lil small team in Trini. Dey winniing big league in England and getting beat in Trini.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »
Actually Newcastle came Trini when I was still in school...bout 8 years now

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:01:10 AM »
Anybody know who was responsible for bringing Crystal Palace back in the Strike Squad days, and Newcastle?
I would like to know how those were arranged.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »
This was the same thing my brother and I were saying. I think the major difference is that clubs are going all over the world and there is little attraction revenue wise to a place like TnT when you can go to Japan, Thailand, the Middle East or even in the case of the big guns, to the US during the summer.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »
Actually Newcastle came Trini when I was still in school...bout 8 years now

When they played Jabloteh what was the final score ?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »
It is due to two factors....location and cost.

Most teams go to Miami as facilities are plentiful, support easy to come by and transport is not an issue.

The Hilton in South Florida has a specific football training ground/field attached and markets these facilities

TT has trained and stayed there on occasion. During my time in Florida alot of teams such as Guatemala, Colombia, Honduras etc pass tru and play warm up games because they have a fan base that are willing to come out and support.

Also European teams go to Mallorca for weekends to get sun. Also the quality of our teams down here (while we think they big) does not intice a European to pelt oout money to come and play us.

Also when Hibernian came here with Latapy one of their fans died in a jet ski accident in Tobago...all dem kinda things does throw off people.

Lets not forget...Crime and our poor Tourist friendly image has really hurt.

Last ting...Trinis too damn cheap to come and watch ball. People not paying no kinda money to see any midtable English or Scottish sides.

I went to most of the Mls games, newcastle, Hibs, I went Sheffield United when Bent used to sweat for them in center of Excellence and all of them no big setta crowd.

Look at digicel...stadium empty and games are 20$

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
This might be a bit off topic but along the same lines, who attended the Watford Sao Paulo match about 16 years ago at HS?  Packed house, game finished 1-1, I forget who the scorers were at this point and Sao Paulo eventually won on penalties, some big name players like Falcao (I believe), John Barnes, and others were there and entertained the crowd, Barnes even get mauled by a compre ting after de match, if yuh see how broad de smile on he face was, kinda like dis  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 11:49:16 AM »
Location and cost are two main factors; however, it can be resolved with effort from the gov't, ttff and ppl of TnT.

The government needs to be proactive in handling sports and treat it as a major priority instead of a second class citizen by providing funding or incentives.  Additionally, it must provide continued support and not for the sport to be a one time thing.  TTFF needs a marketing image - overhaul if you will - with all the controversy that surround them for quite some time, advertising, PR, community service projects, just to get their name out there as being active.  Even if the two parties previously mentioned were to work things out with reference to each other and the general public, it is up to the public to go out and support the games.

I can see England, Japan or Spain coming to play TnT at "de stadium," it can happen, but we need to put our house in order before we welcome guests.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 11:49:37 AM »
In terms of the poor attendance issue which may come across sometimes as "cheapness", the travel stress factor and crime in T&T issues are making it hard for people ( everybody in the former and young ladies especially in the latter)  to conceptualize the travel, traffic jam and security logistics to pick up deyself to watch a 7 pm weekday game hoping to finish wuk, pick up chile to avoid dem getting kidnap, rush back in traffic or get somebody to drop dem home, especially on a weekday. I hear a hard-back male poster say he really want to go to the game buh he living Arouca and like he just cyah make. Imagine that. Trinis are slowing losing the ability to have quality afterwork outdoor leisure time during the week. Life is maybe tougher in that respect compared to long ago. But yes dey also cheap, even if they did have the time to spare.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Barataria, I was there for both games. My sister had autograph from Junior, and maybe  . Who can forget johnny barnes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:17:12 PM by ttcom »
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
Location and cost are two main factors; however, it can be resolved with effort from the gov't, ttff and ppl of TnT.

The government needs to be proactive in handling sports and treat it as a major priority instead of a second class citizen by providing funding or incentives.
Is high time we stop looking at de government for these types of things. Dey should create a proper infrastructure and environment so that we can have a vibrant sport industry, but other than that let dem concentrate on building the people.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 01:49:25 PM »
same answer as with the Terry Fenwick thread... dey doh wanna deal with the TTFF and their shit...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 02:01:48 PM »
"Dey should create a proper infrastructure and environment so that we can have a vibrant sport industry"...Tallman

In response: I am not saying that the gov't should take over proceedings but suggesting that they play a more active role.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »
In terms of the poor attendance issue which may come across sometimes as "cheapness", the travel stress factor and crime in T&T issues are making it hard for people ( everybody in the former and young ladies especially in the latter)  to conceptualize the travel, traffic jam and security logistics to pick up deyself to watch a 7 pm weekday game hoping to finish wuk, pick up chile to avoid dem getting kidnap, rush back in traffic or get somebody to drop dem home, especially on a weekday. I hear a hard-back male poster say he really want to go to the game buh he living Arouca and like he just cyah make. Imagine that. Trinis are slowing losing the ability to have quality afterwork outdoor leisure time during the week. Life is maybe tougher in that respect compared to long ago. But yes dey also cheap, even if they did have the time to spare.

when they finish building the train....
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 02:56:23 PM »
Lots of valid points raised in this thread, but to me, there have only been 2 periods when clubs ever visited Trinidad on a regular basis (or maybe I'm not old enough to remember):

1. Around 1990, when Strike Squad was flying high and teams like Villa, QPR, Leicester seemd to have a genuine interest in TnT football.

2. Around 1999/2000. Then, the international (i.e. - English) clubs stopped coming just around the time England lost their bid to host the 2006 World Cup (which was in 2000).

Jack decided CONCACAF would be backing England in the first round of voting for the host nation (although it was clear they were never gonna win it), then switched his vote to South Africa once England got knocked out. At the time England were a very unpopular choice because everyone wanted SA to win, and, even worse, England had gone back on their promise to back Germany's bid rather than launch their own. They need all the help they could get, and Jack, and by extention TnT, were a focal point of their bid. :beermug:

(Incidentally, alot of our players moved to UK clubs around that time, work permits didnt really seem to be much of an issue.  ;))

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 03:07:03 PM »
Lots of valid points raised in this thread, but to me, there have only been 2 periods when clubs ever visited Trinidad on a regular basis (or maybe I'm not old enough to remember):

1. Around 1990, when Strike Squad was flying high and teams like Villa, QPR, Leicester seemd to have a genuine interest in TnT football.

2. Around 1999/2000. Then, the international (i.e. - English) clubs stopped coming just around the time England lost their bid to host the 2006 World Cup (which was in 2000).
Actually, I think more foreign clubs visited prior to the Strike Squad era. Clubs like Flamengo, Arsenal, Hearts, Manchester United, Southampton, Bradford, Everton etc.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 03:11:30 PM »

Actually, I think more foreign clubs visited prior to the Strike Squad era. Clubs like Flamengo, Arsenal, Hearts, Manchester United, Southampton, Bradford, Everton etc.

My bad. Guess they were before my time!  ;D

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 03:35:24 PM »
i remember they used to come in the 80s and get (physically) beaten).

i remember a trini goalkeeper cuffing down a white man from what i think was nottingham forest in front of goal.

anybody recal that?

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »
good days good games too
Jack and suite was behind them games.  ASL arsenal(wasn't three a thread debating the final score in that game cause i still can't remember the final score), as vsl spurs, Asl vFlamengo , Corinthians, italy youth team, brazil youth team
TT always give them teams a good run
TTFA saying they lose money on the game every stinking time.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 12:45:59 AM »
I'm almost sure is ASL and Arthur Suite help bring dem team here.  Then de football killa Jack outlaw de people league and say anybody who playing fuh dem team cyah represent de national Team.  ASL and Sando Strikers was de Nat'l Team so wha yuh think happen? All dem big sell out game at PFCC and PSA on Long Circular Rd done.  League crash.  Foreign big club stop coming.  He also mash up de North vs South Classics.  Instead of Malvern or Falcons we have to live with de likes of Wasa Clean and White and others.  Steups.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »
 In the seventies I was a ball boy for Chelsea/Southhampton, Mexico/TT. I also saw Nautico, St. Mirren and Hull City.  In the sixties the old folks talked about the Brazilian school boys. They use to come. But things change. They can get more money in the US or Asia.

The other factor is Jack. What all yuh want me to say. He in everything.  Don't blame the gov't. They can do so much for football. If you all want greater gov't participation, then expect more political interference. There are other sports than need just as much assistance. Women sports in particular. T&T women have not won an Olimpic medal as yet. Women football does get shaft with ease. Women's netball??? Very sad. Field hockey. Hanging in there. I kind of straying off the topic.

Competition is not the problem. Money is the magic word. They can get more money elsewhere

TrinInfinite

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »
ttff not willing to pay the money, the clubs need to have an incentive for coming, will it aid them with their progress as a team, i dont really see too many clubs play countires anymore, teams like ajax use to play small countries but now i hardly see it, their is bigger money in playing countries, unless you playing barca and its brazil, but i think the u20 and u23 and u17 would benefit from playing big clubs....

1]; } ?>