April 25, 2024, 05:09:16 AM

Author Topic: Give credit where it is due  (Read 3219 times)

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Give credit where it is due
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:44:39 PM »
If you ask most supporters at the games "which player they are least impressed with" they would say Gary Glasgow or even Dwayne Jack. I have been at the games that these two players are constantly being ridicule by the supporters. I will admit, I am not a fan of Gary. I think he is over the hill. He has been missing very easy goal scoring opportunities, not holding up the ball well, loosing the ball when he has it and not winning 50 50 tackles.

As a result, he has not been a favorite in my book since I look at a lot of footballing qualities in a player before I judge them (i.e. can he pass? shoot? hold the ball? win tackles? score goals? create goals? MAKE A DIFFERENCE)

But I will like to say this much. I must now give credit to Gary and respect him for his efforts. He has 5 goals in 3 games which makes him the top marksman in the Digicel Cup (I think). Not to mention, that each game he scored in Trindiad and Tabog got good results (1 tie and 2 wins).

I hope he continues he scoring form and I guess I will have to make a tentative exception for him in this competition, since even though he is not holding the ball well and continues to loose it when he gets it, HE SCORES!!

Would he get away with this in the Gold Cup? I cannot say (I don't think so). The competition would be better and goals might be harder to come by. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Big up Gary. Let the goals rain.

Kingman 

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Give credit where it is due
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:34:10 PM »
What allyuh think bout Wim and co.? You think the coaching staff deserve some credit too? I think that to take a young, inexperienced group who had never played together through a couple of tricky matches against Martnique and Haiti is not bad at all. I know real posters not on Wim, and although it is too early to be singing anyone's praises, I giving Wim a small  :applause: for leading us to the GC. I eh taking that for granted at all.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 04:52:26 PM »
Finish the job now Wim.  Big coaches win big games.

Can your boys win the cup?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Jack eh good talk done
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 06:02:25 PM »
Jack eh good talk done

I would not go as far as saying that. I think he have some potential but he needs more time. Some players adjust and settle quicker than others. Jack is just not one of those players. Remember how Dennis Lawrence was in the initial stages? Jack will come along I think....I hope, he have good characteristics as a center back.

Kingman

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »
yeah i always was undecided on gary too but hope he just use this as an oppotunity to redeem himself before his career is over blessings.....
All American

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »
goals win matches and once gary continues his current run of form he will become sharper and fitter.
Having said that I also want to give a personal bigup to Jemmot because it seems like he is one for the future as well. De coach seems to be happy with him and though there are conflicting reports I believe that he did better than he did not. Build-up might have a lot to do with the expectations of that player but if we just rate him as a player (and not as Latas grandson) then he aint doin to bad.

Class is permanent remember.  form is temporary.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 09:31:59 PM »
It funny to see Scott Sealy int scoring

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:48:21 PM »
Doh worry, Sealy eh finished yet. Wim won't yank him off and park him on the bench just so to damage his confidence forever. This a good player who just did not show what he has at all somehow. He is hurting and the sting of being booted out by Roberts will drive him to train hard and perform. Watch and see. Wim go give him a run just now and watch him good. Yuh cyah be good then written off as a shittong just so. Former MLS player of the month and top scorer for Kansas Cirty Wizards. Watch those Goals Galore Trinbago Style videos of Sealy. He scores with his foot (not noted to be strong in the air) so the system and style has to suit him.

Only one thing. T&T likes to use alot of wing play and crosses for header goals as we got so used to Stern, Jones etc. Not sure how Sealy can optimally adapt if it is really true that he is not inclined to score with headers. I guess with time? Yorke wasn't famous for heading before he left T&T.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:48:12 PM »
We go have to disagree about Jack and Sealy.  The man does run wit he hands break up and Sealy doh be in the game.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 06:45:19 AM »
I want to give credit to our new goallee...Jan is showing good form, and real committment to the team...
good potential for the future ;D

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 07:34:15 AM »
wey allyuh get this " Lawerence was like Jack in the early days "..crap from....is dennis lawerence allyuh talking about ???....jack miles off lawerence in the early days.....dont forget lawerence went straight into world cup qualifing games under porterfield.....allyuh talking bout the height similarities right ???....there is nothing else....take it from me.....good luck to jack with his progression in his game....but stop the lawerence comparisions....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »
wey allyuh get this " Lawerence was like Jack in the early days "..crap from....is dennis lawerence allyuh talking about ???....jack miles off lawerence in the early days.....dont forget lawerence went straight into world cup qualifing games under porterfield.....allyuh talking bout the height similarities right ???....there is nothing else....take it from me.....good luck to jack with his progression in his game....but stop the lawerence comparisions....

"Lawrence was like Jack in his early days" statement was never made no where in this thread. At least I can't remember reading this until now. No one trying to make a comparison with their abilities. At least I don't think so or interpret that from this thread. The comparison however lies within the adjustment that is being made (time factor).

When Lawrence first started playing he was not a favorite, more so when Trinidad played against Haiti at the National stadium. After a couple years representing Trinidad and Tobago then the general public accepted and valued his efforts (more so during the 2006 WC qualifying campaign and 2006 WC).

At this point in time Jack is not a favorite on the national team but hopefully he will come along.

As for the height similarities, Jack is 6/3 or 6/4 and Lawrence is 6/6 or 6/7.

Kingman

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 08:48:27 AM »

"Lawrence was like Jack in his early days" statement was never made no where in this thread. At least I can't remember reading this until now. No one trying to make a comparison with their abilities. At least I don't think so or interpret that from this thread. The comparison however lies within the adjustment that is being made (time factor).

When Lawrence first started playing he was not a favorite, more so when Trinidad played against Haiti at the National stadium. After a couple years representing Trinidad and Tobago then the general public accepted and valued his efforts (more so during the 2006 WC qualifying campaign and 2006 WC).

At this point in time Jack is not a favorite on the national team but hopefully he will come along.

As for the height similarities, Jack is 6/3 or 6/4 and Lawrence is 6/6 or 6/7.

Kingman

i remember lawrence had a wicked game against mexico back in 2000 when we beat them 1 nil ......
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 08:51:54 AM »
small sorry kingman...i really did not mean you and this thread per say.....but i seeing this jack/lawrence comparision all over in the last week
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:11 AM »
Imagine Glasgow score de same amount of goals in his last 3 matches as he has done in his previous 41 matches  ;D.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »
Imagine Glasgow score de same amount of goals in his last 3 matches as he has done in his previous 41 matches  ;D.

WOW!! Serious Talliest?  :rotfl:

On a serious note, how come he is still featured in national colors with this record as a striker? If I selecting a national team I would first look at players record. If a player scored 5 goals in 41 matches there was no way in hell he was getting pick on my team.

Anyways, you is still not a favorite in my books Gary but as I said credit for scoring 5 goals in 3 games thus far.

Kingman
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:09:55 AM by kingman »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »

Glasgow for Chelsea or Barcelona........lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »

On a serious note, how come he is still featured in national colors with this record as a striker? If I selecting a national team I would first look at players record. If a player scored 5 goals in 41 matches there was no way in hell he was getting pick on my team.

Anyways, you is still not a favorite in my books Gary but as I said credit for scoring 5 goals in 3 games thus far.

Kingman

Kingman, relax breds. Gary is jus' filling in for temporarily absent specialized central strikers buh when Gold Cup come yuh go see him where he truly belongs doing more creating, crossing and cheeky moves on the right wing.! So doh study how much goals he score but how much goals the team will score with him around. He doesn't have to score..........but he still will. Is always have action in de wing and even in de box when he is around.
 ;D :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »

Kingman

Kingman, relax breds. Gary is jus' filling in for temporarily absent specialized central strikers buh when Gold Cup come yuh go see him where he truly belongs doing more creating, crossing and cheeky moves on the right wing.! So doh study how much goals he score but how much goals the team will score with him around. He doesn't have to score..........but he still will. Is always have action in de wing and even in de box when he is around.
 ;D :beermug:

I agree with you Dreamer, coaches like a player who does make things happen on the field especially near the box.  For all his misgivings Gary is that type of player.  He is still a shadow of his former self since the break leg, but as Corneal commented, is nice to him get in a position to throw away goals...at least one go stick.  That is why Beenie stick with Stern in lean times too.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

1]; } ?>