April 26, 2024, 06:39:17 PM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors seal Gold Cup spot.  (Read 14145 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Soca Warriors seal Gold Cup spot.
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:09:21 AM »
Soca Warriors seal Gold Cup spot.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

For the third straight match involving a National Team at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the atmosphere was inviting and guess what. For the second time in three nights it welcomed an impressive win for the hosts as this time they sealed their place in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup in style with a no nonsense 3-1 victory over usually competitive Caribbean opponents Haiti.
It was a sweet pill to swallow for head coach Wim Rijsbergen as he came into the tournament under some degree of pressure, firstly having to face the mountainous task of preparing a squad for South Africa 2010 knowing that he would be heavily scrutinized and secondly not knowing what to expect from a squad of little experienced players added to the fact that some of his better rated home-based players were forced out due to club conflict.
But Rijsbergen could already feel somewhat satisfied as his team not only topped their group and proved early doubters wrong but he surely would have come across some potential “Warriors” that could add some depth to the journey to Africa.
Again, young striker Darryl Roberts, now being hailed as a developing weapon, started alongside in form goalgetter Gary Glasgow who though missing further chances, ended up twice on the scorecard and now has five goals in two matches.
From the get go, T&T appeared sound but the Haitians also looked up for the battle and paced themselves well almost as if allowing the home team to come at them. In the starting defense was Makan Hislop in place of Dwayne Jack.
Glasgow’s snap effort was over bar from the six yard box inside the opening ten minutes. But the man known for his precise passing showed that he could place the ball in clear cut fashion too. Kerwyn “Hardest” Jemmott, the eventual Digicel “Man of the Match” stepped up and clinically buried a low left footer into the bottom right corner of the net to push T&T ahead 1-0 on 14 minutes.
Within ten minutes, Roberts got a sniff at a second but Haiti also caused some danger on the opposite end when Germain Peter blasted over bar after a neat build up.
Eight minutes approaching the half time, the home fans were all “oohs and ahhs” when Jemmott orchestrated a breathtaking move, sending Roberts through from the middle of the park and the youngster skillfully flicked into the path of Glasgow but he despairingly shot over bar from close to ten yards out.
T&T continued to control the pace of the game but Haiti always looked like they could spring something to hurt the hosts who were playing in front 8,500 odd fans. They showed more signs of that as the second half progressed. Substitute Brunel Fucien got the 1974 World Cup finalists back into the match in the 54th minute when he connected with a through ball and drilled his shot to the right corner past a stranded Jan Michael Williams. Captain Bruny Pierre was a pleased man at that point but he too was realizing that the game was far from over.
Rijsbergen had at the half took off Leslie Fitzpatrick, struggling with a groin problem and put in Kwame Wiltshire. He then got in on the action and delivered a good one from the left which led to Roberts going fully into a challenge with goalie Normil Yvesner, forcing the error and the loose ball for Glasgow to hammer home. Once again, T&T were ahead and the fans were again sensing a win. But skipper Densill Theobald and company knew they had to make sure this time. And there was no coming back for Haiti when Glasgow collected a through ball, evaded Yvesner and cut back in before curling his effort into the net.
Hayden Tinto also made a late second half entry and seems to have found the liking of the fans based on their reception to his appearance. By then Rijsbergen and the rest were already counting three points but aware too that they were still the unforced errors which would need tidying up for future affairs.
T&T’s Williams also brought out a couple brilliant saves to deny the Haitians even an extra goal down the stretch as the hosts completed another moral boosting win but remain well aware that the could meet the same team in the final if they end up there next Tuesday. They now await the second place finisher from the Bobby Sookram group (which plays off today) for the semi-final outing on Saturday at the Hasely Cawford Stadium.

Trinidad and Tobago 3 v Haiti 1

14 Shots 6
6 Corners 3
8 Fouls 7
1 Offsides 1
1 Yellow cards 1
0 Red cards 0

Line Ups

T&T: Jan Williams, Makan Hislop, Osei Telesford, Leslie Fitzpatrick (Kwame Wiltshire 45th), Kerwin Jemmott, Darryl Roberts, Gary Glasgow, Kerry Baptiste (Hayden Tinto 80th), Seon Power (Dwayne Jack), Nigel Daniel, Densill Theobald (capt).

Subs not used - Joel Bailey, Marvin Phillip, Keeron Benito, Scott Sealy.

Haiti: Normil Yvesner, Dacius Gilles (Guillaume Stephane 88th), Gilles Frantz, Germain Peter, Guerrier Parnel, Baptiste Fritzson (Brunel Fucien 52nd), James Marcelin, Raymond Ednerson, Lormera Roody (Cadet Eliphene 52nd), Vubert Alain, Mayard Josue.

Goal Scorers

T&T - Kerwyn Jemmott 14th
T&T - Gary Glasgow 66th, 85th
Haiti - Brunel Fucien 54th

Officials

Referee - Courtney Campbell (Jamaica)
Assistant 1 - Ricardo Morgan (Jamaica)
Assistant 2 - Anthony Garwood (Jamaica)
Fourth Official - Roberto Moreno (Panama)
Match Commissioner - Chet Greene (Antigua)
Referee Assesor Osmond Downer (T&T)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:01:28 PM by e-man »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Soca Warriors Seal Gold Cup Spot
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:00:19 AM »
NICE real NICE
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors seal Gold Cup spot.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:33:01 AM »
Congrats T&T, I know you guys still have work to do, but as the tournament goes on you will improve. We did it with a second string team, so nuff respect..... the big picture we qualified for the gold cup and beat 2 teams that was suppose to beat us, now go win the Digicel Cup and suprise everyone......

Big Up !!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »
how many team from we region get tuh go tuh gold cup?

is it the two 1st place teams from the groups only? or 2nd place as well

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:24:24 AM »
dat darryl yute soundin like something tuh look out for in de future. congrats tuh de fellas dem and hardest n T.I
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:27:24 AM »

It is the four teams that make it to the semi-final rounds. There will be no invited teams to the Gold Cup this year. I am hoping that T&T will play in the New York area.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:41:39 AM »

It is the four teams that make it to the semi-final rounds. There will be no invited teams to the Gold Cup this year. I am hoping that T&T will play in the New York area.

thxs man.....yeah if they in the NY area I might make ah pass too

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:50:13 AM »

well breds u know we making a run, we already discuss de lime  ;D all of we goin down :beermug:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 08:51:55 AM »
look it here

Venues
Soldier Field, Chicago
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, Massachusetts
Reliant Stadium, Houston
Orange Bowl Stadium, Miami
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey
The Home Depot Center, Carson, California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:06:25 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:54:06 AM »
Sweet!

Offline chic

• New Warrior
  • diva warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:00:36 AM »
dat darryl yute soundin like something tuh look out for in de future. congrats tuh de fellas dem and hardest n T.I

congrats to the WARRIORS!!! they played well :beermug:.... lil trouble with defense still but that can be fixed .but look out for roberts and tinto in the future fuh real they doin it to people out dey man! :beermug:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:03:16 AM by chic »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 09:04:15 AM »

well breds u know we making a run, we already discuss de lime  ;D all of we goin down :beermug:

From London ON to Chicago (where the semi's and finals will be played on June 23 and June 24)
Add another 2 hours from Toronto

Total Est. Driving Time:  6 hours, 24 minutes, Total Est. Distance: 399.34 miles
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:45:34 AM »
Orange Bowl Stadium, Miami

OR

Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey

...good for TnT gold cup game
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Slade

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 09:59:28 AM »
Ahhh.... that was impressive, keep up the good work guys.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »
Haiti vs Suriname

Fenelon Gabart, Parnel Guerrier, Germain Peter, Guillaume Stephane, Marcelin James, Jean Baptiste Fritzson (Decius Dumel), JM Boucicaut (Jean Alcenat), Hons Chery, Pierre Bruny, Raymond Ednelson, Jacques Jamil

Haiti vs Jamaica

Montrevil Frantzy, Jean Sony Alcenat (Alexandre), Richard P. Bruny, Mones Chery, Jean Jacques Pierre, Stephane Guillaume, Jean Jacques Jamil, Fabrice Neol (Francois), Josue Mayard, Jemps Dorcelus, Jean Baptiste Fritzson.

Haiti vs Bermuda

Fenelon Gabard, Guillaume Stephane, Brunel Fucien, Cadet Eliphene Alexander, Boucicaut Baptiste Fritzon, Bruny Pierre Richard, Chery Mones, Raymond Enderson, Vubert Alain, Mayard Josue.

Haiti vs Barbados

Gabard Fenelon, Peter Jermaine (Fritzson Baptiste 32’), Stephane Guillaume, Fucien Brunel, Eliphene Cadet (Roody Lormera 80’), Alexandre Boucicaut, Richard Pierre Bruny, Ednerson Raymond, Mones Chery, Alain Vubert, Josue Mayard (James Marcelin 64’)

Haiti vs Martinique

Gabard Fenelon, Frantz Gilles, Peter Jermaine, Stephane Guillaume, Fucien Brunel, Eliphene Cadet, Alexandre Boucicaut, Pierre Richard Bruny, Mones Chery, Alain Vubert, Josue Mayard

Haiti vs T&T

Normil Yvesner, Dacius Gilles (Guillaume Stephane 88’), Gilles Frantz, Germain Peter, Guerrier Parnel, Baptiste Fritzson (Brunel Fucien 52’), James Marcelin, Raymond Ednerson, Lormera Roody (Cadet Eliphene 52’), Vubert Alain, Mayard Josue

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 10:36:34 AM »
I guess we have to wait and see where we (TNT) going to be playing before we could make dat run to NY/NJ??  I in once ah know what going on, jus have to get me passport stamped from de better half  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 10:38:42 AM »
I in once ah know what going on, jus have to get me passport stamped from de better half  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
"Now I have 2 things ah Love, me Wife and ManU."
wha eef ya tell she ya goin an change the order of things ya does love :devil: :devil:
she go hah to let ya go
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 10:43:01 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
I in once ah know what going on, jus have to get me passport stamped from de better half  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
"Now I have 2 things ah Love, me Wife and ManU."
wha eef ya tell she ya goin an change the order of things ya does love :devil: :devil:
she go hah to let ya go
AH try dat one before and ah crash and burn out in real flames  :devil: :devil: :devil:  So ManU fuss den she LOL (ps.  Doh tell she dat nah ah go get licks tonight again)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 10:47:16 AM »
licks is OK but ah Buss Head  :o :o

wait, you really means blows den ;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 11:02:05 AM »
whay TI he probablly going crazy now. SWeetness fuh sooo.... ah love it!!!!! :beermug: :beermug:
All American

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »
i know real men (and ladies) want the warriors to be playing in the NY/NJ area or Miami but i real hoping they in Houston.  Is bout 4 years now I ain't see ah TNT game  :'(

gongrats to the warriors and now is fuh them to win the digicel cup and warm up for costa rica cos that go be the first real test.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »
I personally will pay the passage to sent back Hislop and Jack to T'bgo. That is the biggest dissapointment nobody to give Cyd and dem a run for their money.

My goal has been achieved which was Gold Cup qualification so now for a new goal. Leh we win the whole ting.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 05:31:31 AM »
I personally will pay the passage to sent back Hislop and Jack to T'bgo. That is the biggest dissapointment nobody to give Cyd and dem a run for their money.

My goal has been achieved which was Gold Cup qualification so now for a new goal. Leh we win the whole ting.

Weary ah have to admit dat ah disappointed de Tobgonians eh impress.....ah hoping dat dey some how get in with a better club to get the coaching and guidance needed....
Cuz like ah couple people say on hear (and I did it too when he first started playing) Cyd used to play real crap in de earlies and look where he reach.....we missing him now when he not on de field.

Anywho, I was one who said dat nuttng but winning de Digicel cup was acceptable, ah glad dey going Gold Cup, but ah want de bragging rights too......especially over we good, good, friends and bosom buddies in Jamaica    ;D ;D.... ah in de stadium tomorrow, come rain or shine....

GO WARRIORS!!!       [/b] [/color]
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 05:49:38 AM »
Hislop not as bad and he he much younger than Jack. Hislop could still improve but there is no hope for Jack.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 05:59:31 AM »
Hislop not as bad and he he much younger than Jack. Hislop could still improve but there is no hope for Jack.
Oh shit  :) ....dat is putting it bluntly.... ;D....oh well ah goh still hope....

But aye, aye Jah Gol it just dawn on mih dat yuh just down de road from me....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »
T&T.... BAM BAM...... We want ah GOAL ... BAM-BAM
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 11:43:30 PM »

Jah_Goal ease up on Jack na man. I feel you memory short. Think back bout el Cyd when men talk bout how it have mad people in he family and he cyah be sane. Think bout the piece a la la he do in the GC against Panama. Think about Medford. If Cyd went from that to a WC player I cyah right off no footballer.

Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 11:56:23 PM »
curious about the Gold Cup setup....

how the actual tournament is?
cause i was reading a article online about us preparing for gold cup QUALIFIERS vs honduras and Costa Rica
here: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161087084

whas we group for these qualifiers? whas the others...
how much teams in all gonna be in the actual Gold Cup...
i was kinda surprised to hear at first 4 Caribbean teams gonna be in the Gold Cup...like is all qualifiers...no automatic spots from the Caribbean?

1]; } ?>