April 26, 2024, 06:31:34 PM

Author Topic: Rise in Food Prices, Killing the Lower Income Families  (Read 1118 times)

TrinInfinite

Rise in Food Prices, Killing the Lower Income Families
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:53:17 AM »
This is when you have a government who doesn't care to invest in agriculture and agricultural support programs for farmers and uses the land for housing develpoment instead of food produce...Especially if they plan to import 100% of their food to Trinidad and Tobago.. >:(

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_features?id=161054569

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rise in Food Prices, Killing the Lower Income Families
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
I could fully understand about canned stuf etc thats imported (not necessarily made in TnT).. however..people 2 4king lazy. Whatever happened to the days when everyone had a small kitchen garden? Try planting and stop complaining. Sometimes people does over-blame the gov't oui. What did any previous gov't do to encourage agriculture?

What the govt could do is set up community garden plots on state lands so people can have little gardens. I rent a small plot every year, here in hamilton and grow all kinda stuff. For $30 I get the plot from early spring to mid fall.. it comes ploughed, water and it's fenced. Since it's community based everyone looks out for each other and shares when they have too much of something. Not only does it give me a chance to spend time with my kids, it also teaches them about gardening without pesticides etc...and gets them away from the computer and tv.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
I could fully understand about canned stuf etc thats imported (not necessarily made in TnT).. however..people 2 4king lazy. Whatever happened to the days when everyone had a small kitchen garden? Try planting and stop complaining. Sometimes people does over-blame the gov't oui. What did any previous gov't do to encourage agriculture?

What the govt could do is set up community garden plots on state lands so people can have little gardens. I rent a small plot every year, here in hamilton and grow all kinda stuff. For $30 I get the plot from early spring to mid fall.. it comes ploughed, water and it's fenced. Since it's community based everyone looks out for each other and shares when they have too much of something. Not only does it give me a chance to spend time with my kids, it also teaches them about gardening without pesticides etc...and gets them away from the computer and tv.

Yeah dey have plots like dat around york u but I was never into all dat.  Jumbie ah looking for some tomato's for ah choka hook ah brudda up nah   :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

Yeah dey have plots like dat around york u but I was never into all dat.  Jumbie ah looking for some tomato's for ah choka hook ah brudda up nah   :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

doh worry you getting that soon.well, late july - mid Aug. I also grow the hottest peppa you ever sample..sure to traumatize your taste buds. Just remind meh in the summer.

Offline johnny_ringo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »
well every other govenment (even past pnm regimes) have subsidisted the agriculture sector.
how bout developing new lands for agriculture cause we all know u cant keep using the same soil year after year.
how bout giving a few more $$$ to the small business sector so famers could get their loans
how bout we start feeding our people instead of givin them free empty houses cause they still gonna thief & kill if their kitchen bare

1]; } ?>