April 26, 2024, 08:51:32 AM

Author Topic: RIP Carlos Lezama  (Read 1761 times)

Offline johnny_ringo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
RIP Carlos Lezama
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
 :(
For those that dont know Carlos Lezama passed away yesterday. Mr Lezama was the main man resposible for NY's labour day parade. His vision took it from a few people jumping up to OVER A MILLION PEOPLE on the parkway.
This man truly took our culture world wide!!!
i belive the funeral is friday here in BK.
Respect to this man for all he did.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: RIP Carlos Lezama
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:05:39 PM »
Trinidad-Born Brooklyn Carnival Prez. Passes On

Hardbeatnews, BROOKLYN, NY, Mon. Jan. 22, 2007, 1 PM: Carlos Lezama, the Trinidadian-born migrant who led the West Indian American Day Carnival Association in New York since the late 1960's, is no more.

Lezama, according to reports reaching HBN, passed around 11 this morning Monday at Kings County Hospital after a sustained period of illness and subsequent hospitalization. He was 83.

His death comes following a recent stroke and the amputation of a leg. Lezama resigned as head of the association in 2001. He remained, however, as president emeritus. He was replaced in the post by his daughter, Yolanda Lezama-Clark.

In a statement yesterday, she admitted it was a difficult time for her family but added that they are comforted by the fact that their grief is shared by thousands worldwide who mourn this lost.

“Throughout our lives my siblings, as well as my mother, have been privileged to share my father with the million who are part of the Carnival family,” said Lezama-Clarke. “I am grateful that he has left an impressive legacy of which we all as Caribbean people can be proud.”

Lezama, founded the carnival 40 years ago. He migrated to the US in the early fifties and in 1967, was passed the reigns to the Brooklyn carnival by another Trinidadian, Rufus Goring. Lezama, who later became president, nurtured the organization and carnival celebrations till 2001, when, due to his ill health he retired. The carnival attracts millions on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn on Labor Day weekend each year and has also grown as a magnet for politicians looking to campaign and be seen as friends of the Caribbean community.

In 2001, the Carnival route - Eastern Parkway  – was renamed Carlos Lezama Parkway for that year’s Carnival Season. Three years ago the Carlos Lezama Archives and Caribbean Cultural Center, located at the Lezama’s family landmark home of 1028 St. John’s Place in Brooklyn, was inaugurated as a lasting tribute to the man dubbed as “The Father of Brooklyn’s Carnival.”

For his efforts in promoting the rich culture of Caribbean people and thus enriching the cultural life of New York City, Mr. Lezama has been officially recognized and honored by four Governors of New York State including Govs. Nelson Rockefeller, Hugh Carey, Mario Cuomo, and George Pataki and every Mayor since John Lindsay.

Among those paying respect to Lezama yesterday was the publisher of EVERYBODY’S Magazine, Herman Hall. “As a young member and director of the West Indian-American Day Carnival Association in the early 1970s. Lezama influenced, motivated and inspired me,” stated Hall. “I knew what Mr. Lezama endured to develop the annual carnival on Labor in Brooklyn. He brought recognition to the Caribbean-American community, united us and played a major role in enhancing the quality of life in New York City. He was admired and respected by governors and mayors of New York State and City respectively. He was a great and charismatic leader.”

Funeral arrangements are still to be announced. Lezama is survived by two children and grand and great-grand children. – Hardbeatnews.com

1]; } ?>