April 24, 2024, 07:07:44 PM

Author Topic: Winning the Digicel By Losing!  (Read 2117 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Winning the Digicel By Losing!
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:45:27 PM »
I do not feel bad we lost to Haiti, we didnt get knocked around either - 2:1

We were able to use  not just a local team, ...but more importantly a local B-team (no Jabloteh players) to get to the finals and still give a good showing.

We were able to use this oppurtunity to look at players we would NOT normally look at in the local league and  in US colleges, and give them meaningful playing time.

And at the same time still give a good  representation of TnT.

We come away from this experience with  a wider pool of players, they have learned to play as a unit, and now futher reinforced most positions on the field.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Winning the Digicel By Losing!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:02 PM »
The atmosphere in the stadium was something to behold.

Roberts becoming one of my favorite players.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »
Well on to costa rica and panama
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:15:36 PM »
when i was listening to the Commentators about some of the players not playing as well as they did in the last game, the thought came to me that maybe some of these young fellas put too much pressure on themselves. One game they did great and next game they did so so.
Also I will not take away from what Haiti accomplished by intercepting many passes.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »
The atmosphere in the stadium was something to behold.

Roberts becoming one of my favorite players.

True

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »
What this tournament has shown is that the future of TNT football looks bright. With the proper foundation being laid we will become a powerhouse in the region. Good to see the young fellas rising to the occasion.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
Perhaps a better title might be "Winning the Gold Cup by losing the Digicel"?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:08:44 AM »
Good Morning Guys,
                             This defeat is a blessing in disguise. Them guys must be real disappointed. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and prepare mentally and physically  for the future. Now, they should play Panama and CR to keep their momentum going. They should not stop now. Plenty practice games before the Gold Cup. This defeat will make them hungry. This tournament was the easiest they will ever have. The Gold Cup will be tough. But that is the way it should be.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
General Observations from the Digicel Cup
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 05:56:20 AM »
Well, this is perhaps a record for me, i went every single T&T game in the competition.

Pros:
1) Wonderfully run competition, logistics were spot on most of the times, plenty professionalism. Quality of football was impressive.

2) nice crowd support, 15-16000 last night for the finals. Even the mexican wave made a few laps around the stands.

3) T&T, apart from the first half of last night's finals, and a part of the second half vs Barbados, played better than I expected. Although this is almost a second string local team, we basically showed the rest of the caribbean that we are a level above them. This must be very worrying for CFU as even Haiti knows come WCQ's.... T&T will be extremely difficult to contain.

4) Darryl Roberts - The man like a machine, real run and work hard, lovely touch and technique... The most impressive player for me in the competition. Up with Stern, he will be an excellent new dimension. He reminds me a lot of Leonson Lewis, build, style of play, etc etc...

5) Telesford - Very good prospect for one of the stopper positions. Very good young player, showed his class.

6) Densil and Jemmott - Showed a real decent partnership, complimented each other well most of the time. Very good players to have at our disposal for the next 3-4 years.

7) Tinto - Hint of supreme talent now developing. Silky smooth skills in the mould of Carlos....

8) Coach Rijsbergen! I see a post asking whether we give him enough credit, he is doing a very very good job so far with this young team.... Just goes to show that with adequate prep time and a decent coach, we can achieve good things.

Cons:

1) T&T was prone to spells of almost total indifference (eg. first half last night and part of the second half vs BIM)... Its like we just fall asleep sometimes.

2) Although we walked through this competition to the finals, I got a sense that T&T were just a slight bit lucky... In many of the games, the opposition was real running us, pace like fire and  intensity that was causing problems, then BAM! we come and score, the opposition get demoralise, and we start with confidence... We cant keep playing like this vs CONCACAF's big guns.... Martinique looked VERY IMPRESSIVE agasint T&T, and although they played with 10 men for about 70 mins, they still were attacking T&T with no fear. Up till they got that man sent off, they looked the most impressive team we played in the tournament. Cuba looked extremely impressive too, a little less flashy than Martinique, but with more poise and technique. Haiti was somewhere in the middle, but they had the best tactics. We generally looked slower than these latin and french caribbean teams, they were outnumbering us most of the times on and off the ball.

3) Unecessary dribbling!!!!! Jemmot, main culprit. plenty odda men too, simple basic football...The men hit a man a dread spanner, the crowd gone mad, then u can bet yr house on one of 2 things that going to happen...A shit pass or the man try the dribble again and is hard jam and he loss the ball in a bad position. better dribble selection needed.

Leslie Fitzpatrick  - I dont know where to put this yute, in pros or cons... He have both.
Pros - The man have a wicked left foot. Best crosser in the team by a mile, and perhaps best passer as well. His technique is unpredictable. His first touch was plenty times very poor. he needed 2-3 touches to get the ball under control. But when he did, u know u getting a quality pass that causes panic in the opposition defense. I see him chest a 60 yard pass, screen it and leave out a defender at full pace and deliver an accurate cross in one movement. He does fight the game more than any other player. But at times, he appears a little slow and out of it. He definitely have to be kept for the next few years and developed. Excellent backup for Colin Samuel.

Coming away from the finals, i was a little sad we lose, but the crowd vibes and the T&T display throughout the entire competition had me feeling proud too. this was a team plenty people expected to get real licks.

When u think about it, we have a few players to look forward to rejoining the setup:

Kelvin Jack
Brent Sancho
Dennis Lawrence
Cyd Gray
Carlos Edwards
Colin Samuel
Silvio Spann
Chris Birchall
Otis Seatin
Dwight Yorke ( for a lill while again)
Stern John
Kenwyne Jones
Cornel Glen
(If I leave out anyone, allyuh could add in...)

And some of the other Jabloteh boys,,,We theoretically developing very good depth for the next WC run.

Trus me, haiti win last night and celebrate like when T&T qualify for Germany...But them and everybody else in the caribbean now realise after this competition that T&T are the undoubted and exclusive kings of caribbean football...and by a fair deal as well...

Onto Gold Cup 2007!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 06:14:27 AM by Flex »

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
Peaking at the Right Time
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »
I think the primary lesson to be learned about the results of this tournament is that the better prepared team.... won.  The old adage again comes into play…”Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.”

Maybe the cliche "Timing is everything" does have its merits. T&T was always playing catch up to Haiti.  Too little….to late!

This leaves T&T with certain questions that go a begging...the...WHAT IFS!

Consider the following.

(1)  While T&T was at the point of "still sourcing and selecting" players....Haiti was already running full steam ahead....as a “conditioned team.”  Haiti was the first team to arrive at the tournament...if I am not mistaken, a full week earlier than the "official" start of the “finals”.  Guaranteed they still had one last match to play, prior to the “official finals”...however, getting over this hurdle, worked to their favor, giving them a distinct physical and psychological match ready advantage going into the finals of the tournament. 

In effect, Haiti was probably much better "match and tournament prepared" than any of the other teams going into the final phase of the tournament.  That is, because they had already match tested the conditions that they were preparing to play in, learning to adapt, improvise, and overcome.

(2)  At the time T&T was “struggling” to qualify for the semis, only now showing positive results based on their preparation, Haiti had already qualified for the semi-finals.  This gave Haiti the advantage of “testing the main opposition” while resting their starters.  Results of this  “test” was not significant in terms of qualification, but more importantly, significant for the last phase, the final game.  Now it was only a question, of Haiti and T&T coming through to the finals….as expected.

Haiti was clearly studying us, our strengths and weaknesses.

If we are to analyze the statistics, results of the "final leg” of this tournament reveal.

P   W       D   L    
Haiti      6   5   0   1
Trinbago    5        3        1        1

Interestingly, of the two games played between Haiti and T&T, .Haiti scored 3, while T&T scored 4. Yet, they still won the tournament.

What if T&T had started preparing just one week earlier?  Would a friendly against a quality opponent help our cause, considering we already had home court and home crowd advantage?  The answer to these questions we will never know.

Up next…the Gold Cup!…or is it the under 17 competition in April?

Have we learned from our mistakes?

1]; } ?>