June 16, 2024, 02:19:03 PM

Author Topic: Platini has won the UEFA presidential election  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Platini has won the UEFA presidential election
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:13:11 AM »
Soccernet.com

Michel Platini has won the race to become the next UEFA president after a stunning election victory over Lennart Johansson.

The 51-year-old Frenchman becomes the most powerful man in European football after he was elected at the UEFA Congress here in Dusseldorf by 27 votes to 23.

He will serve as UEFA president for the next four years and will also be a FIFA vice-president.

Platini has tried to appeal to the smaller countries and wants to limit the number of clubs in the Champions League to a maximum of three from any one association.

He added: 'We must always see to it that the strong help the weaker ones. Let's defend the national associations against the interests which are threatening them.

'It is a game before a product, a sport before a market, a show before a business.'

Platini immediately invited Johansson to become an honorary president of UEFA.

The former France forward said: 'This is just the beginning of an adventure.

'I'm happy today to be able to represent European football, I'm very moved and very happy.

'This is a great victory but I have huge admiration for Lennart and I would ask for Lennart Johansson to become an honorary president of UEFA.'

Johansson was given a standing ovation by the delegates at the invitation of Platini.

The Frenchman added: 'When I was a footballer, when you won a great victory you received a cup and went on a lap of honour. This is a great victory for me but I'm not going to do a lap of honour because now the work starts.'

The election result was close - had Platini won two fewer votes he would not have achieved an absolute majority of the 50 valid votes and a second ballot would have been held.

Irish FA president Jim Boyce said: 'I am not surprised - Lennart Johansson's age has definitely been a big factor but I have great respect and admiration for the man.'

FIFA president Sepp Blatter welcomed the win for Platini, who worked as his special adviser between 1998 and 2002.

Blatter said: 'The result is no surprise to me. I'm happy I will be working with someone who has the same vision for football as I do.'
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:15:44 AM by Patterson »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Platini has won the UEFA presidential election
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 11:15:55 AM »
Good for him time the bull frog take a rest
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »
Weary that is what came to mind when I see the man.

Platini is the better choice. He was a player so he knows the game on a real personal level and hopefully will strive to keep it honest and a priority above everything else artificial that inevitably accompanies it.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »
most interesting ting to me is the uefa champions league position and his relationship with the G14

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Platini promotion puts Sepp in control
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:57:20 PM »
Platini promotion puts Sepp in control 'With Johansson defeated, Blatter has reached nirvana'
TOM ENGLISH

(tenglish@scotlandonsunday.com)

THE old master, Sepp Blatter, was in Dusseldorf during the week; dropped in at the Uefa congress, pressed the flesh, plunged a knife in Lennart Johansson's back. Standard stuff really. After 17 years at the head of European football, the admirable 77-year-old Johansson had his title taken away on Friday by the 51-year-old Michel Platini. Sepp's man. His protégé, if you like. So now, with an acolyte in charge of Uefa, Blatter's influence grows wider.

Platini's support base in Europe will come in handy if anybody dares to take on Blatter as president of Fifa. A rival wouldn't have stood much of a chance before but with Platini's influence the possibility of a contest - even a token one - is now rendered pointless. With his nemesis Johansson finally defeated and a devotee now in charge at Uefa, Blatter has reached his footballing nirvana. He cannot be touched.

The headlines were all about Platini, though. His "philosophy" - much the same as Blatter's - worries the more powerful nations in European football. He's the Robin Hood character, intending to reduce the number of foreigners per club to five and to limit the number of Champions League places per country to three, a policy that would take one slot away from England, Italy and Spain while helping smaller nations who have to trek through qualifying rounds.

There will be war on this issue in time. Already you've had Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and others advising Platini against messing around with the Champions League, a tournament Johansson has done a fine job in building up. Platini's relationship with some of Europe's elite clubs will get nasty soon enough.

But if Friday was a victory for Platini, the subplot belonged to Blatter. Just as Joao Havelange, his predecessor at Fifa, tutored Blatter, so Blatter tutored Platini. He and the French legend have been tight from way back. Platini has supported Blatter through all his travails. No matter what allegations were levelled at the Fifa president, he had a supporter in the Frenchman. Through the dirty wars Blatter fought with Johansson, Platini was on his side. Blatter called him his "footballing conscience" and made him his special adviser at Fifa. He groomed Platini, personally, for high office.

Championing Platini's cause made sense for at least three reasons: first, Platini's loyalty to him in the past demanded it; second, his loyalty in the future would give Blatter reams of allies in Europe. When Blatter looks to be re-appointed at Fifa, it will be nice for him to know he's got dozens of votes sewn up thanks to his friend; and third, quite simply to give Johansson a bloody nose.

On Thursday, on the eve of voting, Blatter came out publicly with a statement of support for Platini. It was unprecedented. It was like holding an SNP drive round Jack McConnell's place. This show was supposed to be run by Johansson but Blatter tried to hijack it. And he did a reasonable job.

Blatter's stunt cannot have surprised Johansson. Ever since Blatter won an extraordinary - and, to put it mildly, dubious - victory over Johansson in the race for the Fifa job in 1998, he has consistently asked questions of his administration; about Fifa finances, about corruption and lack of transparency and all manner of dodgy dealings. "Blatter has sold Fifa's family jewellery," he said. "It has become personal with Mr Johansson," Sepp said.

He's had to wait a while but he struck back at his old foe last week and now Johansson has been voted out and replaced by a man who feels he owes Blatter a debt of gratitude. The world of football is nicely tied up now. It's Sepp's world. We, Platini included, just happen to be living in it.

1]; } ?>