April 28, 2024, 05:33:31 PM

Author Topic: Truthseeker writing a book and need Forumites help.  (Read 3077 times)

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
Truthseeker writing a book and need Forumites help.
« on: January 25, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »
Dear Forumites:

My name is Lumumba Shabazz aka truthseeker.

I am currently writing a book called Make The Ball Happy and would like if you would all sumbit inspirational soccer stories for possible publication. This book will be geared towards the high school/college bound soccer player and it will featured inspirational and motivational stories about people's experiences, about how they overcame adversity, obstacles and challenges. It could be stories about your most memorable experiences... your first ball, cleats etc...  Btw, the first bal i ever got was a gift from my mom oin the US and it was an orange and black ball that I used to clean after every practice and put in the bed next to me. lol

It could be about your most embarrassing moment on the field and how you became stronger because of it.. The story must give hope; it must inspire and it generally should be the kind that others may get goose bumps from after reading it.

An example of such may be my own career. I started off as a U16 southern midfielder in T&T before being picked for national selection along with Ivan Sampson and young Nevinson (GK) in South. At trials, i am certain that I was the poorest youth there, lunch in a brown paper bag (bake and cheese and lime juice) and I had to endure a 2 hour wait to borrow a pair of boots from a rich partner who left me waiting outside while he thought about lending me the shoes.

At the trials, all of the Naps, benedicts boys were all in matching tracksuits talking about the camps they attended in Europe weeks before, and i sat there thinking that my camp was small goal on de hill in Claxton Bay. My uniform was bad case of color coordination.. blue and red socks, green shirt and yellow pants (a true kalediscope). I must have been a sight to behold.

The trials were slated to begin at 9am in Skinner Park but started at 1pm, and before the players even took the field, the selectors had their team chosen already. i lacked both name and pedigree.
And did not play on the kind of school team that would have given me any sort of leverage.

In fact, 10 minutes before the sweat ended, I was still there lingering on the sidelines. it was not until a coach pointed out that I didn't play yet that I was given a run on the field. Most expected that i couldn't play so when i started to win tackles like crazy across the midfield and started linking well with sampson that i was  duly recognised.......... (and on and on)

Forunites, my story takes many different twists and curves and obstacles at this point, all of which I overcame, and the end result is the person i am today. This is the type of story i am looking for. stories of encouragement, hope, faith, love of the game, heartbreak moments etc... But please be original and authentic. And remember this is geared towards the 14 to 18 age group.

If you are interested in writing a story, please drop me an email at Shabazzsoccer@gmail.com. The book will be self published with possible pickup by a major house depending on initial sales. And if your story is chosen, i will ask for your permission to publish it.

I know many people in here have stories to tell of themselves or maybe those that they may have heard. send me an email and I will send you the info and instructions.

Blessings and thanks

truthseeker
PS: even Assnal and Chelski men can apply
Shabazzsoccer@gmail.com/Shabazzsoccer.com

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Truthseeker writing a book and need Forumites help.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 04:03:13 PM »
I sure touches could write a good story  ;D

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 04:23:48 PM »
I remember a young prodigy by the name of Dexter Sandy living in a squatter's village in Blue Basin.

Very humble the few times I heard speak about ftbl, bear in mind he was in Form One back then. Started playig First 11 in Form two.

Well QRC gave him the recognition he needed. I think he's doing well for himself in the States now.

I'm sure he would have some stories to tell.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:49:15 PM »
Respeck Truthseeker.

You should start off de book on de right foot by admitting you were wrong all along, that Thierry Henry IS the best striker in de EPL and Arsenal, by far de best team in de EPL.  ;D

On de local front, I eh think it have a more inspirational story, if it come to pass as we all hope it would, than Kerwyn "Hardest" Jemmott.  De life obstacles dat fella had to overcome and ah believe, in spite of all de good intentions and frankomeh over hyperbole of some posters, EVERYBODY on dis site and who love Trinbago football wishes de perverbial fairy tale ending for him.

If Hardest stick to dis path of truly comitting himself to his career and respecting the gifts he was given by the Almighty, it eh go have no greater story dan dah one.

If I may, VB have a tailor made one in my opinion.  De story of Graeme Rodriguez.  A different twist on overcoming adversity but no matter de twist, is adversity still and very inspirational.

Best of luck on de book bro!

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:28:45 PM »
Seeker

ah know you is ah cryptic riddle man...I eh realize you is ah author too

I hadda really siddong & think about some kinda overcoming obstacles anecdote to contribute

Either way best of luck with the book  :salute:...leh we know when it publishin, I go buy one
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
Give thanks boys but the journey now start. Bear in mind though that we alll have stories to tell and they don't have to be all about overcoming obstacles.

It could just be about your love of the game, or something about the game that you shared with another (maybe a relationshio between parent and child is restored because of their common love for the game). Maybe the heartbreak of 1989 is still fsh in your mind and you need to release. The letdown of that day still lingers for many of us...maybe its a story about how academics and football worked toghether to make you the kind of person you are today.

Trust me the parameters are wide, precisely because we all have diverse experiences, and that is what could make this book, potentially a beautiful one.

PS: Palos a a girlfriend of mine in London is a Huge Assnal fan and she is going to recapture in the story the first time she went to Highbury to watch a game. I might burn that story...lol

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 06:37:33 AM »
good luck truth seeker.....good concept...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
I eat roti with condence milk for lunch and play ball whole day then when ah tusty ah suck cane till ah fart out all de gas in meh belly... and for dinner ah suck chennet till ah get tie-tongue... ah roasting de chennet seed too when ah done, nothing eh wasting.... Ah play ball bear feet for 6 years straight, under meh foot tun black permanetly, ah coulda walk through pick-ah like it water and is only now meh foot starting to clear up.

Nigel Nevinson was a nasty keeper who could damage man, Anthony Sherwood hit him ah spanner in mid air and he leggo ah knee on he chest. It had ah defender from Benedicts name Blackman, he was good and Ramano Paul was good to, he camefrom Pres, right ? I know Sherwood came from Vessigny. Ivan Sampson had a serious left foot and ah hop and drop walk, he was nice too, taught he woulda make national but Glen Bengamin make it before him, Glen came from ASJA Boys.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 04:09:14 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:42:35 PM »
Sam as crazy as your story sound, it could make a nice story you know. Now bear in mind that you would be writing for a mainstream American audience but the values, hardships endured, obstacles  etc ... can have an appeal, especially in this era where youngsters are given $200 boots , $90 pro shirts and driven to and from practice.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 04:08:10 AM »
I eat roti with condence milk for lunch and play ball whole day then when ah tusty ah suck cane till ah fart out all de gas in meh belly... and for dinner ah suck chennet till ah get tie-tongue... ah roasting de chennet seed too when ah done, nothing eh wasting.... Ah play ball bear feet for 6 years straight, under meh foot tun black permanetly, ah coulda walk through picka like it water and is only now meh foot starting to clear up.

Another classic. Sam go check yuhself and see if yuh doh have athletes foot....  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Chennet....  :rotfl: :rotfl:

roti with condence  :rotfl: :rotfl:

pick-ah  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 07:47:10 PM »
I like your website....you're definitely a thinker

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
Good luck on your book TS!!!  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
IT takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing; may God bless your endeavour.

PS: You is a big man to allow even the jaundiced Assnal fans to contribute to your tome.  ;D
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 08:03:32 PM »
I eat roti with condence milk for lunch and play ball whole day then when ah tusty ah suck cane till ah fart out all de gas in meh belly... and for dinner ah suck chennet till ah get tie-tongue... ah roasting de chennet seed too when ah done, nothing eh wasting.... Ah play ball bear feet for 6 years straight, under meh foot tun black permanetly, ah coulda walk through pick-ah like it water and is only now meh foot starting to clear up.

Nigel Nevinson was a nasty keeper who could damage man, Anthony Sherwood hit him ah spanner in mid air and he leggo ah knee on he chest. It had ah defender from Benedicts name Blackman, he was good and Ramano Paul was good to, he camefrom Pres, right ? I know Sherwood came from Vessigny. Ivan Sampson had a serious left foot and ah hop and drop walk, he was nice too, taught he woulda make national but Glen Bengamin make it before him, Glen came from ASJA Boys.

Oh God Sam, you killin me here  :rotfl: :rotfl:
...and yes Romano Paul went Pres (as did Sherwood). I wonder what happened to him (Paul)?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 12:18:19 AM »
Give thanks boys. I am only trying to give back what the game itself have given to me. I think that I was a good player but I am a far better coach and person, and I would like to think that I can be as motivational and inspirational to youths as all of my coaches were to me.

Send alyuh stories... I need them.
blessings

1]; } ?>