March 28, 2024, 11:21:00 PM

Author Topic: Juve buy Vieira from Arsenal for 20 mln euros  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Juve buy Vieira from Arsenal for 20 mln euros
« on: July 14, 2005, 01:28:30 PM »
Juve buy Vieira from Arsenal for 20 mln euros

(Adds quotes)

By William Schomberg

MILAN, July 14 (Reuters) - Italian champions Juventus agreed to buy Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira for 20 million euros ($24.38 million) on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Juventus said the French international midfielder had signed a five-year deal with the Turin-based team.

"Arsenal Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed for the transfer of Patrick Vieira to Juventus," the London Premier League club said in a statement.

"At this stage, Patrick is now finalising his personal terms and conditions with Juventus."

Vieira, 29, was the core of Arsene Wenger's Highbury side which have won three league titles and four FA Cups under the French coach.

Vieira told Arsenal's website: "When you spend nine years at the club, like I did, it is a difficult decision to leave.

"But in the end you have to make a choice for your future. It was a very difficult decision, but I am happy with it.

"I made the decision to leave because I felt it was time for me to have a new challenge. But that does not mean I was unhappy or that I was having a problem at Arsenal.

"I can go with my head held high. I did my best every day in training and in every match," he said.

Vieira had been closely linked with moves to Real Madrid in the past two close seasons and said in May he wanted to see out the last two years of his contract with Arsenal.

VIEIRA REUNITED

His move will re-unite him with Fabio Capello, current manager of Juventus but formerly boss of AC Milan when they signed Vieira in November 1995 from Cannes.

Juventus said his fee would be paid in three instalments over two years, with an initial 10 million euros being followed by a further five million euros in July 2006 and July 2007.

A 1998 World Cup winner and Euro 2000 winner with France, Senegalese-born Vieira has also been one of English football's most consistent performers since making his debut in September 1996, shortly before Wenger's formal arrival at the club.

His last act in an Arsenal shirt was lifting the FA Cup in May after the penalty shootout defeat of Manchester United in the Cardiff final. Vieira scored the final spot kick.

"Patrick was a great player for us, one of the greatest in the club's history and I feel I had a special relationship with him because I made him come here," Wenger said.

"I think his impact, not only at Arsenal but in English football overall was just tremendous."

Vieira started his Arsenal career as a creative player but following the departure of compatriot Emmanuel Petit, he became increasingly defensive, often shoring up the Arsenal backline.

He was sent off 10 times under Wenger and had a long-standing feud with United's captain Roy Keane which made United v Arsenal games the highlights of the English season.

Turin-based Juventus have a long and successful tradition of signing French internationals, beginning with another midfielder, Michel Platini, who was the lynchpin of the team during the mid-eighties.

Vieira is the sixth member of France's 1998 World Cup-winning squad to sign for Juve after Zinedine Zidane, Didier Deschamps, Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet and Lilian Thuram.

Thuram and Trezeguet are still at the club and feature in the club's first-choice lineup as does another French international, defender Jonathan Zebina.

Updated on Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 1:17 pm EDT

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Juve buy Vieira from Arsenal for 20 mln euros
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 01:59:41 PM »
Waste of money.....He aint worth it!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 07:05:09 PM »
that is so true...Arsenal shoulda sell him a couple seasons back when he price was bout $30+ million.
but i have 2 questions...who going to replace him?..and who going to take over as captain?...i just hope it aint Thierry "you can't touch me cause I'm God" Henry yes.
the more i think of this..they shoulda never let Ray Parlour go.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 07:12:33 PM »
that is so true...Arsenal shoulda sell him a couple seasons back when he price was bout $30+ million.
but i have 2 questions...who going to replace him?..and who going to take over as captain?...i just hope it aint Thierry "you can't touch me cause I'm God" Henry yes.
the more i think of this..they shoulda never let Ray Parlour go.

You looking 4 Touches to rest some cuss in U tail? T is ah STRONG Ars supporter!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 07:25:38 PM »
boy Jumbie..Arsenal was meh side too yes...but then i didn't like how they started playing with arrogance and then diving all over the place and the moaning too.
Wenger really doing a good job but i guess i had liked the more hard fought type of football when they had more British fellas.Right now they too damn predictable.
Feliz

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 07:29:45 PM »
Henry WILL be the  captain and he deserve it. No Question.

He been carrying that team on his back.

When the team went on that unbeaten stretch he score about 75% of the goals.

In the Confederation's Cup that France ended up winning without Zidane, Patrick etc when Marc Vivien Foe died he dedicated every goal to him in the game with Turkey and the Turkey didn't look like they could care less about what happened.

In the final when he score against Cameroon he didn't even celebrate.

The man is pure class. People just playa hatin.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:35:36 PM »

In the Confederation's Cup that France ended up winning without Zidane, Patrick etc when Marc Vivien Foe died he dedicated every goal to him in the game with Turkey and the Turkey didn't look like they could care less about what happened.

that fella isn't 'captain' material..same thing in my mind as Stern john lol..a captain doesn't necessarily have to be the best player you know...and i ent playa hating..i just ent like the fukker just cause i have badmind lol
Feliz

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 07:49:46 PM »
boy Jumbie..Arsenal was meh side too yes...but then i didn't like how they started playing with arrogance and then diving all over the place and the moaning too.
Wenger really doing a good job but i guess i had liked the more hard fought type of football when they had more British fellas.Right now they too damn predictable.

Dah is like me last yr..Che was the team ah was backing..then they manager start flapping and turned me away from dat team..especially when he start blaming the ref having ah sorf spot for Barca..Ah still like Robben though...

Barca is meh team though..CL is we one next season!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
i ent wasnt to sound like one ah dem fellas that is jump from team to team hen they winning but i went with Leeds after them Gunners,but everybody know what happen to Leeds eventually lol..so now I with Newcastle,which was always my second team since Shearer went with them.So now that team going downhill plus Shearer leaving next year lol..maybe ill go back to Arsenal next year lol
Feliz

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 08:44:57 PM »

that fella isn't 'captain' material..same thing in my mind as Stern john lol..a captain doesn't necessarily have to be the best player you know...and i ent playa hating..i just ent like the fukker just cause i have badmind lol

Well he have the respect of the players.....he get all the players involved... Plus he captain the side already.

But ah could appreciate yuh badmind ;D

Ah figga that is what it was...LOL

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 08:01:12 AM »
First of all Vieira is a boss or Real Madrid and Juventus, two clubs of enormous pedigree would not be running the man down if he was not a great player who has won almost everything worth winning. He will be missed by all Arsenal fans and the EPL will miss him. The man is a legend one of the best in his position in the world.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 08:29:11 AM »
the man good but not great ,he never impressed me much and as for captain it could be berkemp because of experience and groom a new captain over this coming season.
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »
sometimes i feel some men does post for posting sake....Viera not great!! come on..and I am a manchester fan saying that..

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 08:55:39 AM »
sometimes i feel some men does post for posting sake....Viera not great!! come on..and I am a manchester fan saying that..

A lot of people will not say Vieira is not a great player because he's not a flair player like Ronaldihno, Henry, Kaka and so on, but in his position and his role, he has to be considered one of the best. Just like how a lot of people don't rate players like Makelele and Roy Keane. Lampard and Terry...in my oipnion only look that good this season because Makalele was able to free up both of them because of his work rate. But then again you support Man U so I would expect a comment like that.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 09:00:46 AM »
duscam,probably u r posting for posting sake.my opinion is that he is not great if your opinion is different well bless.and is not about if u r a manchester fan or not.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:47:12 AM by jaden »
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »
duscam,probably u r posting for posting sake.my opinion is that he is not great if your opinion is different well bless.and is not about if u r a manchester fan or not.

well said fella..and yeah i posting for posting sake  ;D
Feliz

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 03:44:32 PM »

Lard fair weather supporter.  yuh supporting a side or yuh not supporting a side. Wha yuh going to United or Chelski now? Typical
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 04:11:34 PM »
While I vex he going....we shoulda sell him last year to Real when they was giving us more money.

This season he wsa injured plenty and when he wasnt there Fabregas handle it and Gilberto when he was playing.

It will be a blow but we go recover.......Wenger is better than any other manager in the EPL for spotting and nurturing talent. Look at how many young players arsenal offloads that are important to other EPLteams.

This was a bad business move but I feel they must be say lewwe get rid off him now when he value still high than later down when he will go for nuttin.

Arsenal need a goalkeeper and a central defender......thats what continues to hurt us.

We good everywhere else.....Bergkamp still have it and I hope Van persie come out jail and have the rape charge settle.

lastly we have the best fwd in the EPL......20 goals is surety from he.

But Chelsea I feel go take it again, we coming second and winning the FA cup.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 07:18:51 PM »
so Touches what u think bout Jenas as his replacement?..he looking over priced but the media stirring up dey usual gossip.
Feliz

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 07:27:12 PM »
Jenas not good enough to wear the O2

Average player from a average team........leave him right there in Newcastle.

Look big player here

If we get the Beast we good.

Last thing Felizano....how you could say Arsenal predictable breds.........Its true they predictable in that Henry will score goals and Pires will distress yuh on the left but Arsenal are a joy to behold and play the most attractive attacking football in the Premiership.

Try and look at the clinic we rest on Everton........bergkamp was pure class in that game
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 07:42:33 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 07:51:40 PM »
Jenas not good enough to wear the O2

Average player from a average team........leave him right there in Newcastle.

Look big player here

If we get the Beast we good.

but u ent feel the man have potential..and maybe under a great manager like Wenger he'll come good?..wouldn't u call Baptista a targetman?...i thought that wasn't wenger style...so does that mean Henry will drift around as he pleases?..u almost right on the predictability too lol..almost everything exciting from Arsenal has to go through Henry,Pires and Bergkamp.
Feliz

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 10:43:48 PM »
Dey sell him because they believe Fabregas ready to assume he role.  Last season he was a revelation when Viera was injured.  He was only 17, but was playing like a 25-year-old.  They go need a little more steel in the middle though.  I think they need to buy a replica of Makalele to complement all that skill they have in the middle.  Yuh always need a ball winner, regardless of all the skill yuh have in the middel.  Even Real realize that and went and buy Graveson from Everton last season.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2005, 10:04:34 AM »
Dey sell him because they believe Fabregas ready to assume he role.  Last season he was a revelation when Viera was injured.  He was only 17, but was playing like a 25-year-old.  They go need a little more steel in the middle though.  I think they need to buy a replica of Makalele to complement all that skill they have in the middle.  Yuh always need a ball winner, regardless of all the skill yuh have in the middel.  Even Real realize that and went and buy Graveson from Everton last season.

well they buy Cleb (spelling) & still have Gilberto, not to mention Fabragas. I think it was good business when you consider what they paid for him  ;D
Viera is a good player who does his job well, the only knock on him is his temper, well and the fact that he does not score enough. He served the club well time to move on.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 12:02:55 PM »
well its official.
Thierry 'If you blow too hard on me I'll tell my mammy on you" Henry is captain.
maybe he might turn out to be ok after all.
but i wonder how his sulking when things not going his way is going to affect the rest of the team?
Feliz

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 06:53:19 PM »
well its official.
Thierry 'If you blow too hard on me I'll tell my mammy on you" Henry is captain.
maybe he might turn out to be ok after all.
but i wonder how his sulking when things not going his way is going to affect the rest of the team?

Ah go take ah bow fuh callin that one in meh earlier post :D

1]; } ?>