April 29, 2024, 11:43:43 AM

Author Topic: Sunderland Forever Thread.  (Read 609803 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland Forever Thread.
« Reply #3900 on: March 21, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »
Look at the date, Kev. Most figured he was gone, but his public comments projected that he could right the ship. Include me amongst those who thought he was being optimistic. Despite perhaps a measure of posturing, one got the sense that Poyet legitimately felt he could reverse the rot. Indeed, his subsequent comments seem to confirm that.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: March 21, 2015, 05:45:59 AM »
Gus Poyet Statement

"Certainly I am very disappointed to have left Sunderland but I am extremely honoured to have served this special club as their manager.

"When I arrived in October 2013, Sunderland had played 7 matches and lost 6, gaining only 1 point and they were bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

"31 matches later, at the end of the season, we had won 10 and drawn 8, taking us to the complete safety of 14th position.

"I will always remember fondly that miracle unbeaten run, a vein of form for which I was honoured to be shortlisted for the Barclays Premier League Manager of the Year Award.

"I leave Sunderland feeling proud of all of our achievements during my tenure, not least reaching the club’s first cup final in 22 years when we took more than 30,000 fans to the Capital One Cup Final at Wembley. Of the three Tyne-Wear derby matches since I joined the club as manager, I am very proud that we were able to win all three, two of which were away from home.

"I will never forget winning at Old Trafford last May, Sunderland’s first league victory there since 1968, which came shortly after beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

"This season, Sunderland remains the only team not to have conceded to Chelsea and the club has remained outside of the bottom three throughout.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank Chairman Ellis Short for giving me my first opportunity to manage in the Barclays Premier League, without a doubt the greatest league in the world.

"I also thank my staff for their valuable assistance, the players for all their efforts and, in particular, the fans who demonstrate such unbelievable passion for the club.

"I sincerely wish everyone connected with Sunderland the very best for the remainder of the season and beyond."

Gus Poyet: Overall Managerial Record

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION 10 Nov 2009 – 24 June 2013
P          W         D          L          %Win
194       86         59         49         44.3

SUNDERLAND 8 Oct 2013 – 16 March 2015
P          W         D          L          %Win
75         23         22         30         30.7

OVERALL
P          W         D          L          %win
269       109       81         79         40.5

HONOURS

BRIGHTON

2010-11 League One Champions
2010-11 League One Manager of the Year
2011-12 Football League Awards: Outstanding Managerial Performance

- See more at: http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/gus-poyet-statement/#sthash.keodXFwa.dpuf
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:55:43 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: March 21, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »

For the most part bar a couple of seasons my team have been shite for the 30 odd years I have supported them.

The comments are about you, your a snide on I'll ignore you completely.

You poor baby.  Well, take heart that it will all soon be over... we don't talk about Championship sides here on this board, so pretty soon you won't have much reason to come back and subject yourself to my abuse.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: March 21, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »

For the most part bar a couple of seasons my team have been shite for the 30 odd years I have supported them.

You poor baby.  Well, take heart that it will all soon be over... we don't talk about Championship sides here on this board, so pretty soon you won't have much reason to come back and subject yourself to my abuse.
You really think championship football gonna stop kev and this thread?  ::)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: April 05, 2015, 02:03:11 AM »

You really think championship football gonna stop kev and this thread?  ::)

A man that knows his onions  ;D  Only when I shuffle off.

West Ham game, disappointing to lose late on, but truth be told the goal was coming for a long time and we didn't really deserve anything.

The big one for most fans today, Newcastle @ 4.00.  The last couple of seasons we have gone into this game with a new manager and came away with the points against the odds, hope for the same thing again today after yesterdays results we need the points.  I wish I could call it but as it has been for a good while haven't a clue which team will decide to turn up.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: April 05, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
Once again Kev. Big up yuhself. You guys are making a habit of the great escape. This means that Advocat is getting fired in the middle of next season, of course.

As for the goal. That was a hell of a strike. What a way to end the weekend!
That's what 70k a week gets you. I wonder how come Defoe never did that in the MLS.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

http://mediacdn.fanatix.com/media/2e/3b/d59fbce581b98f229b68b02670b23df7e4c0/upload.fanatix.mp4
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:09:16 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: April 05, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
Once again Kev. Big up yuhself. You guys are making a habit of the great escape. This means that Advocat is getting fired in the middle of next season, of course.

That's what 70k a week gets you. I wonder how come Defoe never did that in the MLS.

http://mediacdn.fanatix.com/media/2e/3b/d59fbce581b98f229b68b02670b23df7e4c0/upload.fanatix.mp4

Yes that was a spectacular strike, what a rocket....this weekend had some nice goals around the board

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: April 06, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »

He is only supposed to be in charge to end of season, being paid a lot of money and the rumour being he doesn't want it full time.  So it will be his replacement that is sacked come Jan / Feb next year then.   ;)

Not really a lot of blood and thunder for this particular game, it was OK but lit up by a great goal.  Points are the most important thing so just have to make sure these 3 aren't wasted as we have too far too many times before.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: April 10, 2015, 11:12:21 PM »
Look at the date, Kev. Most figured he was gone, but his public comments projected that he could right the ship. Include me amongst those who thought he was being optimistic. Despite perhaps a measure of posturing, one got the sense that Poyet legitimately felt he could reverse the rot. Indeed, his subsequent comments seem to confirm that.

Sorry I meant to reply to this but have been really busy.

For me Poyet is a strange guy, hard to like and is like Paulo Di Canio but more calculating.  He whinged about signings then and not being in charge then comes out and admits he was looking at the same players for ages and bought 2 ex Brighton players, it doesn't look like he had no say from the outside.

PDC was bang on there is an attitude in the dressing room and has been for a while.  As I have said on this thread on many occasions over the past few seasons.  They turn it on when they want or a new manager comes in, it happened under MON, PDC and Poyet.

The stats may back him up, but stats don't tell the whole story.  We were dead and buried last season, he was suicidal in January, the stats tell us points per game and it looks OK, look deeper and the majority of those points came in the last few games against the top opposition, take those out and points per game is woeful.  Indeed the last game when safe was back to a heartless display against Swansea at home.  The system he played was not lose and defend, keeping the ball is fine but keeping it in your own half does nothing with the inevitable odd lump forward, there was no tempo and it was like watching in ultra slow motion. 

Short (the owner) is a strange man, bought the club as an investment and has invested heavily until the last 2 seasons.  His only goal now is to stay in the prem.  For a very successful man he has made some weird decisions, at best could be called naive but in reality extremely poor.  PDC was a last ditch appointment to try to avoid relegation and he got away with it, but it was always going to end the way it did.  The fact the players revolted tells its own story, he appointed an agent as DOF and proceeded to buy foreign / free players young with some chance of sell on value, so went in the next season with a mad manager, players that had no prem experience, DOF with no prem experience and a worse team because he has filled the team by using the loan system.  Last season he got Poyet and was dead and buried until that once in a lifetime run, sacked the DOF got a new one.  Went into this season with a worse team (loans gone) and the players still here.  Like the PDC thing it was always going to be a long old season the only surprise to me is that we haven't spent as long in the bottom 3.  It remains to be seen whether he gets away with it again and its more hope than expectation.

Palace today at home, been playing well and have a bit of pace about them which isn't great for us.  Pardew the ex newcastle manager would love to get this.  What will happen god knows and any result apart from a hefty win for us wouldn't surprise me.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: April 12, 2015, 01:34:44 AM »
Well that went well, Sunday League defending with a high line and pacey opposition, woeful.  I would love to say I was surprised but alas no.

Onwards and upwards (or is that downwards)   :)

A special mention to the ref who was awful and lost control early on, it should of been a lot worse, how Rodwell stayed on the field after 15 minutes is beyond me and the vast majority of fans.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:42:33 AM by kev »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: April 25, 2015, 12:23:56 AM »
Stoke away today who are doing OK, its mystic meg time because I won't guess at the outcome, but we need the points, so its hope rather than expectation, an all too familiar theme.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: April 26, 2015, 01:43:18 AM »
Well a 1-1 draw which is better than nothing, but other results didn't go our way.  Maybe the owners luck has ran out this season we shall see.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: April 27, 2015, 07:06:57 AM »
Southampton, Everton, Leicester, Arsenal and Chelsea to close off...
Honestly I only see Sunderland winning maybe one of those games.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: April 27, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
Which one? Leicester?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »
Yuh know when yuh back against de wall yuh does fight like a cat.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: May 02, 2015, 12:33:07 AM »

TBH I think we might win a game but only because of averages, nothing the team has shown.  Last years miracle was once in a lifetime, this year it is closer but showing absolutely nothing, don't think anyone has anything to complain about if we go this season.  The only saving graces (a faint hope) is that the league will be done and dusted for the Chelsea game and Arsenal have a FA Cup Final the following week.

Southampton at home today, again a bit of pace so a bit of a worry (understatement alert) but who knows I certainly don't, once more into blah blah blah.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: May 02, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »

TBH I think we might win a game but only because of averages, nothing the team has shown.  Last years miracle was once in a lifetime, this year it is closer but showing absolutely nothing, don't think anyone has anything to complain about if we go this season.  The only saving graces (a faint hope) is that the league will be done and dusted for the Chelsea game and Arsenal have a FA Cup Final the following week.

Southampton at home today, again a bit of pace so a bit of a worry (understatement alert) but who knows I certainly don't, once more into blah blah blah.
hangin in there  :D

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: May 03, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »
2-1 win both penalties which were right so no worries  ;D

Other results were not good so status quo maintained and still in the deep tata.  Same old same old for me so just see what pans out.  Have a nice week.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: May 08, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
Away to Everton in the early kick off 12.45.  We don't tend to get anything from Everton, although we did last year when they went down to 10 earlyish on.  Hope for a repeat, but thats all it is.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: May 09, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »
 :frustrated: ...seems like they're gonna pull it off again {sigh}

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: May 09, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »

Lets not count our chickens, you nasty man  ;)

A massive 3 points today, hammered and 2 deflections aswell.  Will the owners luck hold out again, haven't a clue but we were dead and buried last season and got away with it.  This is far from over Leicester is the big one, 3 points and I think that will be enough, but what do I know.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: May 16, 2015, 12:49:11 AM »
Well Leicester at home today 3.00 KO, probably biggest game of the season a win here and there is a very good chance we will get away with it again, but so many twists and turns my head hurts.  Only one thing to do sit back, see what happens and take it like a man either way.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: May 16, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
Hmm.... Curious result!  :thinking:

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: May 17, 2015, 01:28:44 AM »
A draw which was not quite good enough.  To go down now Newcastle have to avoid defeat and Hull have to win their last game and we have to lose both ours by more than 5 goals.  That isn't that ridiculous as we have Arsenal on Wednesday and Chelsea next Sunday.  Hull have Manu and Newcastle West Ham. 

I suspect our formation maybe 10-0-0 in our last 2 games as a point is all we need.  You always get strange results towards the end as a lot of nothing games but the past 5 or 6 weeks have been stranger than ever with the teams in danger or relegation have put a couple of wins together at various stages which no one could see coming.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: May 17, 2015, 11:08:43 AM »
Beat Arsenal

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: May 19, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
Arsenal tonight a point will do.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: May 20, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »
:D
one more season.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: May 20, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
:D
one more season.

point taken........ BPL next year.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: May 21, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »

And you were right :cheers:

Got away with it again, I suppose thats all that counts, but the owner seriously can't believe 4 in a row, can he  :banginghead:

Alls well that ends well

;D ;D ;D ;D

1]; } ?>