April 19, 2024, 03:10:04 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland Forever Thread.  (Read 606472 times)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: The Sunderland AFC 2007-2008 thread
« Reply #1770 on: May 11, 2008, 08:07:56 AM »
Jones named player of the season

By Nick Alexander

Kenwyne Jones is Sunderland's 2007-08 Player of the Season.

The 23-year-old striker has won the award in his first season at the Stadium of Light after an outstanding campaign. Jones has scored seven goals this term - and provided 10 assists.

"I feel very happy, it's a great moment, it's an honour," said Jones. "I feel good but it is not just my award, my team-mates have helped a lot this season.

"When you work all season to play well, to do something good for the team, and then at the end the supporters give you this award, it is a great motivation to carry on, to work more and to get better."

Jonny Evans, the centre-back on-loan from Manchester United, picked up the Young Player of the Year award for a second season running. He said: "I'm very honoured, the fans have taken to me and it's great."

Jones beat off competition from Danny Collins, named 2007-08 player of the season by the Supporters' Association, and Nyron Nosworthy to become Player of the Season.

Jones and Evans will receive their awards from Carl Blenkinsop and Kirsty Coates - two Sunderland supporters - before Sunday's game against Arsenal.

Carl and Kirsty were picked at random from everyone who voted in the Player of the Season poll on safc.com. There were nearly 10,000 voters.

The results are as follows:

Player of the Year
1) Kenwyne Jones 96,810 (points)
2) Danny Collins 69,690
3) Nyron Nosworthy 22,160
4) Craig Gordon 13,060
5) Andy Reid 11,030

Young Player of the Year
1) Jonny Evans 129,180
2) Grant Leadbitter 16,920

The points were allocated as follows:
First choice Player of the Season - 20 points; second choice - 10 points.
First choice Young Player of the Season - 10 points.

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: May 11, 2008, 08:11:24 AM »
http://www.safc.com/match/?page_id=14844&fixture=2849482&t=1
Sunderland - Arsenal Pre-Match

By Nick Alexander

Roy Keane says Sunderland "owe" their fans a good performance on the last day of the season.

The Black Cats finish their 2007-08 campaign with a sell-out home match against Arsenal.

And Keane reckons it offers his side a big chance to say thank-you for the support they have received this season.

Keane said: "People have asked whether I think they [the players] owe me. But I don't think it's a question of owing anything to me.

"They owe it to themselves and they owe it to their team-mates and the supporters and the club itself to give a performance which they and everybody else can be proud of.

"We've got a big crowd and we owe it to them to give a display which will send them into the close season in a good mood."

Sunderland have failed to take a point from games against the Premier League's top five teams this season.

Keane added: "It's tough, we've been close to taking points from the top teams on a few occasions.

"I think the most disappointing thing this season is the number of times we've been close to winning or getting a draw but not being able to see it through.

"Arsenal are an excellent side, they've got a great squad and will come up here looking for the win.

"I think it's a great game to look forward to. It's great that our season ends against a brilliant team like them and it's fortunate for us that we are safe and nothing depends on the result.

"But I want us to finish the season properly and I'm expecting a much better performance from my players than we got last week.

"I think it's important we finish the season well because you don't want to go into the close season in bad form.

"I haven't finalised my team but there's probably not going to be massive changes, it's not as if we've got 10 players waiting in the wings."

If selected:-

Grant LEADBITTER will be making his 100th club career appearance (Sunderland and Rotherham).

Home and away
League (inc PL): Sunderland 43 wins, Arsenal 45, Draws 33
Prem: Sunderland 2 wins, Arsenal 8, Draws 3

at Sunderland only
League (inc PL): Sunderland 28 wins, Arsenal 12, Draws 20
Prem: Sunderland 2 wins, Arsenal 2, Draws 2

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Arsenal 3-2 Sunderland
7 October 2007 - Ref: Rob Styles
Arsenal scorers: Van Persie 7, Senderos 14, Van Persie 80
Sunderland scorers: Wallace 25, Jones 48
Sent Off: McShane (Sunderland) 90
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 11, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »
It was a decent game, Keane.

SAFC.com

Roy Keane's reaction to Sunderland's defeat to Arsenal:

"I thought it was a decent game. We played some good stuff and I generally enjoyed the game. We carved out some good chances and we should have scored.

"But if I've said it once, I've said it a number of times - if you get chances, especially against the big clubs, you've got to take them.

"I think Arsenal had one good, clear-cut chance and they took it; we had two or three great chances and we didn't take them. We paid for that, but overall I thought the performance was quite good today.

"It shows how well our lads have done when you look at the league - the two teams that came up with us have gone down. You have to praise the players for the job they have done.

"Birmingham and Reading took points from Arsenal and [Manchester] United and look at them, they got relegated, so I'm not too disappointed that we've not taken points against the top teams, that was never going to make or break our season.

"The best team always wins the league and the three worst teams go down. We're the 15th best team and we need to improve the quality of the squad.

"It's going to be an interesting summer. I'm due a meeting wit Niall [Quinn] and Peter Walker tomorrow and we'll identify the kind of players we go for.

"We have to look at players we think will improve the team but it won't be easy.

"Today we had some good chances late on and it's been a trademark of us this season. Can you imagine where we'd be without the last-minute goals?

[On Dwight Yorke]

"We saw the best of Yorkie today, that system suits him. He got a good ovation from the supporters, I think they appreciate what he's done for the club. We'll sit down over the next few days and decide what the future holds for him.

[On Jonny Evans]

"Jonny was outstanding today. Would I like to bring him to the football club? You bet your life I would. But he's under contract at United and we've got to be respectful to them, their season is not finished.

"You saw 48,000 there today and we've just about kept them happy this season, but, like me, they will want more next season.

"There was a great atmosphere and the players enjoyed showing their appreciation at the end."

http://www.safc.com/index.php?page_id=14849

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: May 11, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
Congrats to Sunderland for maintaining their spot in the top flight for another year  :beermug:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: May 11, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »
Congrats to Sunderland for maintaining their spot in the top flight for another year  :beermug:
here here  :beermug:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland Summer Transfer Rumours Thread
« Reply #1775 on: May 12, 2008, 02:22:19 AM »
Toadys gem is

Kevin Foley - Wolves Right Back - 2,500,000

He is Irish so always going to be linked, not the first won't be the last this summer

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: May 13, 2008, 02:40:44 AM »
No new links today, but I thought I would post this article up quoting one of the owners, don't know how accurate the figure is on Kenwyns salary, but would of thought not far off the mark.

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=
sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=62608-qqqx=1.asp

Chawke: we’ll meet Keane’s €63m war-chest demand
[/size][/color]

ROY KEANE will be handed his£50m (€63m) transfer budget by the Sunderland board, according to Drummaville consortium member Charlie Chawke.

The Wearsiders secured their top flight status in their first season after winning promotion from the Championship but Keane — who spent £44m (€55.4m) in the last two transfer windows — wants to embark on another significant spending spree to ensure a more comfortable campaign next year.

The Corkman has suggested he requires a £50m (€63m) kitty for signings and has also urged the Stadium of Light hierarchy to significantly increase the budget set aside for player wages. The club’s current top earner is striker Kenwyne Jones, who is paid £25,000 (€31,500)-a-week, but Keane is adamant that unless the club start matching terms offered by north-east rivals Newcastle and Middlesbrough, they will continue to struggle.

Keane is due to meet chairman Niall Quinn and key members of the Drummaville group in the next 48 hours for talks over summer signings but Chawke insists all the manager’s demands will be met

“If £50m (€63m) is what he needs that’s it,” he said. “He can’t do it without the money. If that is the money that he needs well then some way or other he must get it. It is just a matter of getting it for him and going about it in a businesslike manner.

“Roy has had a very difficult year with trying to make Premier League players out of Championship ones. But he has got in some good players now, and now he will get in more players to consolidate our position in the Premier League for next year,” he told Sunderland fanzine A Love Supreme.

Keane has already drawn up a list of potential targets, with a new striker foremost in his thoughts. Kevin Doyle, the Reading striker, is a potential option, with the former Cork City forward expected to leave the Madejski this summer following the club’s relegation.

Diego Forlan is also much admired, although the Atletico Madrid striker’s wage demands could be prohibitive.

But Keane is aware that unless Sunderland break their tightly-controlled wage structure, his chances of persuading any to join are slim.

“It was very, very tough last summer and I am under no illusions that this summer is going to be any easier,” Keane said.

“We had one or two players last summer who wouldn’t even come up for talks — that’s what you are battling against. We have to strengthen, we need to be stronger for next season.”

Chalke, meanwhile, is already making plans on how to fill the Stadium of Light next season. Sunderland’s average attendance was 43,344, the fifth largest in the league but also 5,000 short of the ground’s capacity, and Chalke will investigate the possibility of organising more charter flights for Irish-based supporters to see home games.

“I would love to see 48,000 jammed in week after week — that would be a success for me,” he added. “Then we can take on the Manchester Uniteds and the Arsenals and so on. It is very difficult to get flights from Ireland to games. It is something we are looking to work on and the board will have to address it better than they are doing and get people in on charter flights if needs be because half of Ireland wants to go to Sunderland.”

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: May 13, 2008, 06:19:58 AM »
The board and the owners sound very ambitious.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:24 AM »
amm...now ah know black ppl have a habit of not bein kidnapped eh but amm..da kinda allowance KJ pocketin dey...i hope none of d criminal underworld does browse dis site

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
Following the players being made available via relegation, out of contract and other circumstances..

what do you guys think of the feasibility of these guys as Sunderland targets:

- Lee Carsley (Everton - out of contract), but 34yrs old
- El Hadji Diouf (Botlon)
- Stephen Hunt (Reading)
- Nickey Shorey (Reading)
- Kevin Doyle (Reading)
- Steve Sidwell (Chelsea)
- Richard Dunne (Manchester City)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:44 AM »
Following the players being made available via relegation, out of contract and other circumstances..

- Stephen Hunt (Reading)
- Kevin Doyle (Reading)

plenty irish on that list  :devil:

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 13, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »
Keane should add Richardson to that chopping block - he is average at best ...I still picking Dwight to "dan it up" in de midfield over him - just not impressed with Richardson....

There biggest needs are in the middle of the field - center mids and defenders - Kenwyne just needs a man with vision and pace with him up top ...and yuh need a Makalele-type player to hold down the middle...with a strong central defensive pairing like Terry-Cavalho... why dey en make a play fuh Wes Brown?
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1782 on: May 13, 2008, 11:56:51 AM »
Keane should add Richardson to that chopping block - he is average at best ...I still picking Dwight to "dan it up" in de midfield over him - just not impressed with Richardson....

There biggest needs are in the middle of the field - center mids and defenders - Kenwyne just needs a man with vision and pace with him up top ...and yuh need a Makalele-type player to hold down the middle...with a strong central defensive pairing like Terry-Cavalho... why dey en make a play fuh Wes Brown?
They glad Wes Brown sign again with Man U. Dat mean they have a better shot of keeping Johnny Evans.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: May 13, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »

- Stephen Hunt (Reading)
- Kevin Doyle (Reading)

Trying to earn your money eh

Carsley I think is too old, I don't think teh owners are too keen on more players on the books like Harte, Cole Varga especially as RK seems to want to up teh wage bill significantly aswell.

EHD is not really RK kind of player attitude wise.

Doylle possible but not great in my eyes
hunt sick of hearing about him, got his new contract in Jan and disapeared for the rest of the season not keen at all personall, but I think RK is, he seems to get obsessed with the same palyers
Shorey has other teams chasing him and I understand he wants to saty doon sooth.
Sidwell again few clubs chasing him, he was a bosman to Chelsea so his wages are massive, there are rumours Chelsea are set to prune a bit this summer which will mean paying money to players to move for less wages.
Everybody is chasing Dunne, he is in the last year of his contract so can buy himself out of it, which will get him hefty wages, don't think he will make up his mind until the new manager comes in.

As for Richardson, he was late for training and was left out on Saturday, I think he might be on his way this summer, although he's been in the papers stressing he doesn't want to leave, I don't think all is well with him and RK.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: May 14, 2008, 09:23:39 AM »
Mauro Zarate from birmingham is available for about 10m pounds..

would be a great buy to partner kenwyne up front.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: May 14, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »
Content Sidwell open to Bridge exit

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8132742/Content-Sidwell-open-to-Bridge-exit

Updated: May 14, 2008, 8:44 AM EST 3 comments add this RSS blog email print Steve Sidwell's agent admits the midfielder is ready to leave Chelsea if an acceptable bid is lodged for him.

The 25-year-old is the subject of intense speculation with Middlesbrough, Everton and Sunderland all reported to be chasing him.

Boro are known admirers of the midfielder and tried to sign him before he was lured to Chelsea two-years ago when he left Reading on a Bosman transfer.

Sidwell's agent Eric Walters insists the player would like to remain at Stamford Bridge - but should any bids be accepted, he will then look at his future.

"Steven is very happy at Chelsea," his agent Eric Walters told the Evening Gazette.

"If Chelsea accept a bid for him then that will be a different matter and Steven would have to think about his future.

"I'm not saying he would welcome the offer or disregard it. If Middlesbrough made a bid and Chelsea accepted it then he would have to look at his options.

"His situation is he's under contract to Chelsea for another three years and there hasn't been any indication from the club that they want to sell him. Steven is happy to stay and fight for his place.

"It sometimes takes a year to bed in, especially when the manager who signs him moves on soon after his arrival."

Sidwell made 13 starts for Chelsea last term and 12 further substitute appearances

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 14, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
Mauro Zarate from birmingham is available for about 10m pounds..

would be a great buy to partner kenwyne up front.

He's returned to his club, or thats the plan, I don't think he will leave the country as it is already reported he is talking to 2 prem teams.  His side supposedly want £15,000,000 for him, but may let him out on loan for another year with an option to buy, no idea what the loan fee would be.  He is a good prospect / player and would hope the club have at least shown an interest.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: May 14, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »
I just heard Eto want to come to the EPL ;D

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: May 14, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »
I just heard Eto want to come to the EPL ;D

Apparently he is fairly easy to keep happy, just have a private jet so he van get to monte Carlo and back and its sorted.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:42 AM »
No real news last few days same links kickig about

Dunne
Sidwell
Tonge
Hunt

Hunt has come out and said he wont ask for a move but there is a get out clause in his contract.  Translation I signed a new contract in January, got a nice rise and fee, I've got a loyalty bonus payment written into it, so I can't ask to leave as it will cost me money.  Bid the right price and I am yours, as I don't want to be at Reading anymore really.  I really hope RK is passed his obsession with him and we leave it alone, too expensive and too manipulating.

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=14877

Keane wants to add experience
[/color][/size]
By Nick Alexander

Roy Keane has drawn up a summer shopping list of "five or six" players he believes will help Sunderland improve on this season's 15th-place finish in the Premier League.

Keane confirmed his list of targets to chairman Niall Quinn and chief executive Peter Walker at a meeting this week.

And on the list of most-wanted are players who will give Sunderland some "much-needed" experience at the top level of English football.

Keane said: "I don't expect to bring in the same amount of players as last year. I probably have five or six in mind, it's a small list of targets.

"The majority of the players I'm interested in are very much players who have played a lot of games in the Premier League, that's what our team has lacked.

"Look at the goals we have conceded at vital times, look at the way we started games slowly - it's because we lacked vital experience."

Keane believes the likes of Kenwyne Jones and Craig Gordon - players who have just experienced their first season in the Premier League - will be more effective next season.

"The group of players we've got will be stronger and wiser for next year, we have lacked experience this time around."

Keane also has a list of players he feels are surplus to requirements at the Stadium of Light.

"There are a few players we feel need to move on," he said. "I have a mindset of what a footballer should be and I try to set very high standards at the football club; whether it's in the youth team, the reserves or the first team.

"If people haven't got the same aims, it's best if they move on."

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #1790 on: May 22, 2008, 05:33:42 PM »
Just noted that Sunderland did pretty well in attendance this season:

07-08 Premier League Attendances (avg)

75691 Man U
60070 Arsenal
50488 Newcastle
43532 Liverpool
43344 Sunderland
42126 Man City
41397 Chelsea
40345 Aston Villa
36955 Everton
35967 Spurs
34601 West Ham
32432 Derby
26708 M'boro
26181 Birmingham
23944 Fulham
23585 Reading
20746 Bolton
19914 Portsmouth
19046 Wigan

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: May 22, 2008, 09:41:43 PM »

75691 Man U
60070 Arsenal
50488 Newcastle
43532 Liverpool
43344 Sunderland
42126 Man City
41397 Chelsea
40345 Aston Villa
36955 Everton
35967 Spurs
34601 West Ham
32432 Derby
26708 M'boro
26181 Birmingham
23944 Fulham
23585 Reading
20746 Bolton
19914 Portsmouth
19046 Wigan

the big surprise is de team that goat name terry does play fuh. ;D
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 23, 2008, 04:58:22 AM »

75691 Man U
60070 Arsenal
50488 Newcastle
43532 Liverpool
43344 Sunderland
42126 Man City
41397 Chelsea
40345 Aston Villa
36955 Everton
35967 Spurs
34601 West Ham
32432 Derby
26708 M'boro
26181 Birmingham
23944 Fulham
23585 Reading
20746 Bolton
19914 Portsmouth
19046 Wigan

the big surprise is de team that goat name terry does play fuh. ;D
The Stadium of Light has the 4th biggest capacity Stadium after Old Trafford, the Emirates and St. James Park. Anfield beating them out in attendance (if only slightly) can be construed as a result of their unattractive football compared to a top feeder team like Liverpool.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 23, 2008, 07:49:17 AM »
Kev, yuh sticking or what?

Manchester City hope to finance a £12m deal for Zenit St Petersburg's Andrei Arshavin by selling defender Richard Dunne and midfielder Stephen Ireland, with Roy Keane's Sunderland leading the chase. (Daily Mirror)
[/b]

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: May 23, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »
omarldinho

Yeah sorry but there was any real news so I couldn't see the point of just putting up the same names again just for the sake of it as I am sure most people will be as sick as seeing the same lazy joournalism as I am.

Irish - Sunderland Target
Reading - Sunderland Target
Irish Sounding - Sunderland Target

Not really interested in Ireland to be frank, he disapears too often and too long during games and reporterly £8,000,000 just taking the piss.  I really do hope Roy Keane has learned from last year.

I hope to see him at Euro 2008 trying to pick up a couple of players, but there are conflicting rumours about money, targets and nationalities at the minute.  I must admit to feeling aprehensive as Roy Keane needs to improve a lot in the transfer market and I am not getting the right vibes just now.

Below is a copy of the Rumour Mill page from SAFC.COM lists all the players linked so far.

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=7218

Hidden away among the mass media coverage of last night's Champions League final, Sunderland are today linked with Reading full-back Nicky Shorey.

The Times reports that Reading have made Shorey available for transfer, with West Ham, Aston Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland all interested in the England left-back.

Shorey is the 17th name on our 2008 Rumour Mill list.

Visit safc.com's Rumour Mill page every day to read a summary of the day's SAFC transfer gossip - both ins and outs.

Here's the list so far:

Ins:
Jonny Evans (Manchester United)
Stephen Hunt (Reading)
Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Kevin Foley (Wolves)
Michael Kightly (Wolves)
Michael Tongue (Sheffield United)
Aidan McGeady (Celtic)
Richard Dunne (Manchester City)
Stephen Ireland (Manchester City)
James Beattie (Sheffield United)
Carlton Cole (West Ham)
Albert Adomah (Barnet)
Mauro Zarate (Al-Sadd)
Michael Bradley (Heerenveen)
Steve Sidwell (Chelsea)
Joe Ledley (Cardiff)
Nicky Shorey (Reading)

Outs:
Kieran Richardson (West Brom)
Paul McShane (West Brom)
Marton Fulop (Stoke)
Russell Anderson (Plymouth)
Graham Kavanagh (Sheffield Wednesday)
Michael Chopra (Cardiff)
Andy Cole (Burnley) Released

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: May 23, 2008, 01:12:30 PM »
Kev,

I actually think Ireland is a pretty decent punt. Young first and foremost, with alot more skill than your average British player and has shown the ability to play well when he's on his game. That is something you could work with.

I think keane and sunderland have to be realistic about their expectations and what they can get in the transfer market.

you're not going to get a promising young player that can instantly cut it at premiership level, because he'll either be too expensive or be courted by the more prominent teams.

i'm also skeptical about Sunderland getting the seasoned internationals like Dunne, McGeady and Shorey because they could easily go to a mid table team like Aston Villa or Spurs where they would be welcome.  Whats the pull of Sunderland and what have they done to suggest that they can match a good player's ambitions?

Thats why its about the diamonds in the rough. The players who've been relegated with uncertain futures but good enough to cut it.  The players out of contract looking for a good deal (even if it means giving an older player an extra year where you normally  wouldnt), and the foreign players that a good scouting network could uncover.

Thats why i thought they wouldve made a play for Lee Carsley, cause you know what you're getting for at least this season. They really have to be astute in the transfer market.

Anyway, lets see what takes place.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: May 23, 2008, 02:22:39 PM »
ireland is good..but overpriced for sure

jus like how darren bent, joey barton and michael johnson(man city) are all overpriced

english players are overpriced on a whole in the football market
owen's price to go to newcastle(cant remember now) was ridiculous. A player who is injury prone and never got back his form since leaving england

jus dont get it...study Michael Johnson was supposedly equated to Gareth Barry in terms of price coming to the end of the season.
I mean come on, Johnson start off hot and sweaty and then die down
Barry is a established player in the EPL...aint sayin he a world class player in the 1st tier of world players but still...damn...

down to flamini and all was too expensive...his wages at AC i mean.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: May 24, 2008, 12:01:31 AM »
omarldinho, AZZURRI

The problem I have with Ireland is that he does disapear all too often and his attitude leaves a bit to be desired.  He was the guy that told teh Irish National side that he had to go home because his granny had died, but his girlfriend had miscarried which was a good enough reason anyway.  So when all this come to light he eventually apologised but didn't play the next few games because he didn't feel upto it.  Something just doesn't sit right with me personally with him, especially not at that money, I would rather have the untried Castillo at that or a bit more from what I have seen of him. 

McGready is well overpriced I have watched him a few times on the telly and can't see it personally for the money, he's OK but not that money, you also have to remember the standards in the SPL is  generally way below the Prem except for the old firm

I am very realistic around who Sunderland can attract
1st Draft are really Top 4 in premiership
2nd Draft Top 6
3rd Draft rest
4th Draft Relegation candidates

We simply can't compete on the 1st draft, I would hope to get a decent shot at 2nd draft as a signatory signing and expect 3rd draft.  I also expect players that are young from lower leagues with potential not for the first team but potential for the first team with the right coaching.  Its important for the club to compete on wages but not to the point where it puts the club in jepoardy.  We will have to over for players and the ones we really like have to overpay on wages to attract them, not a big problem if it is only a couple which are easily shifted if diasaster strikes.

Its the money really for British based players is crazy and better players can be had from abroad for the same money if not less, the worst aspect of the prem is how much mediorce players cost and are paid.  The weakest part of Roy Keanes management so far has been transfers, the rest I expected a lot of mistakes given his time in the job, I still think we need to look at the coaching aswell. 

I really hate this time of the year.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: May 30, 2008, 09:09:01 AM »
Reading star Stephen Hunt's £5m move to Sunderland has hit a snag - after he refused to discuss his future before he gets married in his native Ireland on Friday... and then completes his honeymoon in mid-June. (Various)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Liverpool want £10million Black Cats ace
« Reply #1799 on: May 30, 2008, 10:33:07 AM »
Kenwyne Jones has emerged as a top summer target for Liverpool Football Club.

Few eyebrows were raised when Roy Keane paid Southampton £6million to take the Trinidadian striker to Sunderland in August, yet he has been a key player for the Black Cats this season.

There is no question that the Stadium of Light club could let the 23-year-old leave during the January transfer window, with their Premier League status in huge danger.

However, Rafael Benitez is more than willing to wait for the end of the season, when he is likely to sell Peter Crouch and use this money to launch a £10million bid for Jones.

http://www.fansfc.com/liverpoolfootballclub/news.asp?newsid=179744
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>