April 27, 2024, 03:41:40 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland Forever Thread.  (Read 608852 times)

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland Forever Thread.
« Reply #3480 on: December 02, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »
O'Neill "says yes to Sunderland"

Martin O'Neill has agreed to succeed Steve Bruce as Sunderland manager, BBC Sport understands.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:21:58 AM by StoreBayLimer »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: December 02, 2011, 08:07:28 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15997197.stm

Good coach... always liked him, ever since his Celtic days about 10 yrs ago.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
Bakes,

He's a great coach, but its dragging on hope it hasn't hit a snag.  Doesn't play the prettiest football but knows what he is doing.

If he does come its a shame Kenwyne's still not here because he would of made or broke him.  If you remember when all the stuff was going on I suggested Villa would be the best place for him because of MON.  He likes a target man aswell.

Can't expect miracles straight away but should be able to steady the ship until he gets a chance to change it around a bit in the summer. Think a few of the players are in for a shock.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: December 03, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
Well its Wolves v Sunderland on Sunday 4.00 PM KO.

Santa came early this year.

http://www.safc.com/news/20111203/sunderland-appoint-martin-oneill_2256213_2536081

Sunderland appoint Martin O'Neill

Martin O'Neill has officially become Sunderland's new manager, signing a three-year contract.

Sunderland AFC can confirm that Martin O'Neill has been appointed as the club's new manager.

The 59-year-old has agreed a three-year deal on Wearside and will take charge of the Black Cats from Monday.

Vastly experienced, O'Neill has built a reputation as one of British football's most admired managers, steering Aston Villa to three successive sixth-place finishes in the Barclays Premier League between 2008 and 2010 after successful spells at the helm of Leicester City and Celtic - winning domestic honours and securing European qualification with both.

Speaking after officially joining the club, O'Neill said: "It's a very nice feeling to be back in football and to be the manager of Sunderland. It's a big moment for me.

"I'd heard about what a good club it was but coming here, seeing the stadium and training ground, I've been bowled over. It's absolutely fantastic.

"I hope I can help Sunderland to very successful period. That's what I've come for and that's my driving ambition."

After cutting his managerial teeth with Grantham Town and Shepshed Charterhouse, O'Neill rose to prominence in charge of Wycombe Wanderers between 1990 and 1995, taking the Chairboys from the Football Conference to the third tier of English football in successive seasons before a brief spell with Norwich City.

He swapped Carrow Road for Filbert Street in December 1995, steering Leicester City to promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs in his first season.

Winning two League Cups (1997 and 2000) and finishing runners-up in a third League Cup Final (1999) during his tenure in the East Midlands, he also guided the Foxes to four consecutive top ten finishes between 1997 and 2000.

O'Neill's success with Leicester attracted the advances of Scottish Premier League side Celtic and, in summer 2000, he moved north to Glasgow to guide a side which had finished 20 points behind champions Rangers in the preceding campaign to the domestic treble in his first season.

The Northern Irishman won three SPL titles, three Scottish Cups and a League Cup in his five years at Celtic Park, guiding the Bhoys to UEFA Champions League qualification on three occasions and the 2003 UEFA Cup Final. He also set a British record of 25 consecutive victories.

He left Parkhead in May 2005, returning to football - and the Barclays Premier League - a year later where he revitalised Aston Villa's fortunes to guide the club to 11th in his first campaign and sixth-place in the next three consecutive seasons. O'Neill led Villa to the League Cup Final in 2010, finishing as runners-up.

O'Neill is expected to be in the stands at Molineux for Sunday's clash with Wolves, however Eric Black takes charge of the team for the game. 

He will be enough to steady the ship for this season and start the building in the summer, good coach.

I am a very happy bunny.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:56:13 PM by kev »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: December 04, 2011, 10:55:03 AM »
The broadcast showed a glimpse of O'Neill in the stands at Molineux... living and dying with every half chance.  That was really great to see... only in charge a couple hours and already emotionally invested in the club.  I would be surprised if he couldn't turn the club around. There are decent players in the squad... Larsson, Bendtner, O'Shea, Brown... and perhaps my favorite on the team, Sessegnon.. what a terrific player.  In watching them against Wolves though, they lack a clear identity. 

I'm still trying to figure out what Lee Catermole's role on the pitch is... the guy's a foul magnet pub league player yet he's Sunderland's captain.  Meanwhile Craig Gordon... geez, I think it's time for Sunderland to just cut that kid loose.  There's adequate cover in Mignolet and now Millwood, and I simply don't think he was ever worth the 12 million quid they paid for him,  especially since he's always injured.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: December 04, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »
Lack any real pace, guile or organisation tbh.  As I said above a few players are in for a big shock this week.  Got a hard set of games coming after Blackburn, we lack balance so MON will have to find a work around until January.

He doesn't suffer fools so its going to be an interesting month or so.

As for Gordon he is still injured, but in the last year of his contract.  There was something between him and Bruce similar to what went on with Kenwyne imho.  We paid £9 for him, but that was to make a statement and had to overpay for everyone.   

I think you mean Westwood who looks a decent keeper, but would like to see Gordon back tbh.

MON starts tomorrow, John Robertson isn't coming with him so he will have to find a new sidekick.  Bruce left a few good players, but no balance and big gaps.  Place will be buzzing next week whatever teh result.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: December 05, 2011, 04:50:29 AM »
This team needs a huge injection of confidence that a new manager should bring.  I watched them self destruct yesterday without being pressured by Wolves. 

I have always liked ONeil as a manager.  His work at Aston Villa was phenomenal and i hope he takes Sunderland to the next level that they crave.

I am curious to see how he cleans house.........
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: December 11, 2011, 03:08:51 AM »
Sunderland v Blackburn KO 1.30 PM GMT

Well start of a new era, don't expect any massive changes apart from attitude as he can only work with what he has, but would expect an improvement.  I do believe we were in severe danger of relegation under Bruce, with MON we have a much better chance.

Andre,

MON is a cautious manager and changes will be gradual, I would expect to see a couple in January (possibly even just short term quick fixes) and the real work to start in the summer, but it won't happen in 1 or 2 transfer windows.  You look at his record anywhere and it is good, sometimes it just doesn't work for a manager or a player at a particular club, I hope thats not the case this time.  There will be a big crowd today which isn't bad considering the state of the economy, time of year, live on Sky and we have won 2/3 games all year at home. 

I don't think its going to be pretty he has already mentioned getting set piece defending right, no pace, confidence and working with what he has.  But its a long time since I have looked forward to a match and many others feel the same way.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: December 12, 2011, 01:28:07 AM »
Got the result, but got away with a couple of things.  Few hard matches coming up so needed the points.  Showed up perfectly what we are missing just hope he gets some money in January to sort it out.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: December 18, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »
Spurs v Sunderland.

half way through 1st half, anything from here is a bonus.

Funny fact after a couple of players being investigated, we have more players on bail at teh minute than wins.  Sums up Bruce's time and attitude I think.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: December 21, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
QPR v Sunderland KO 8.00 GMT

Don't know what will happen in this game QPR blow a bit hot and cold and MON hasn't had that much time yet.

The Spurs game was surprisingly even, helped that Bale was injured and Lenon went off, but we were more organised and up for it, but sadly still lacking because of the available players, need a couple in january.  Given Bruce signed 30 or so players in 2 years I think it speaks volumes we are still so short on quality.

Transfer rumour time and there is a story doing the rounds about Kenwyne either moving to QPR, Wolves US or Villa (Bent maybe leaving, stress rumour only).  I suspect there maybe some mileage in this as these stories with players not playing / getting pitch times are either started by the agent so the player can play or the club wanting him moved on or off the wage bill.  Just have to wait and see.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: December 26, 2011, 03:07:03 AM »
The QPR game was a bit scrappy, went 2-0 up, then 2-2 and won it at the death, MON does them a bit better but it still showed where we are short.  can't argue that much as Santa already was very kind to me and came early this year with MON becoming our manager, but a couple of decent players wouldn't come a miss in January.

Sunderland v Everton KO 3.00 GMT.

Everton always seem to win and Cahill always scores, even though he hasn't scored in ages we must be one of his favourite teams to play against.  Everton are having a bit of a hard time scoring.  A win would be nice.

I hope everyone had a great and safe Christmas and the fat bar steward in the red coat was kind to you.  I will take this opportunity to wish you all a wonderful, New Year and may 2012 bring you everything you wish for.  Please remember, be good, if you can't be good be careful and if you can do neither, don't get caught. Take care.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: December 27, 2011, 02:07:42 AM »

I had a chance to see the game (Sunderland  vs Everton) today.  The goal by Sunderland was in some ways deserved, although there was a little bit of luck.  The penalty was unfortunate.  Everton was surprisingly poor.

Kev, thanks very much for the updates.  Wishing Sunderland the best of luck for the remainder of the season!

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: December 27, 2011, 03:39:14 AM »
The game showed where both teams are short, up front, thought the result was about right.  The penalty, well there is not a lot you can say, sometimes there is a tangle of legs and the ref gives it or not and can go for and against you in the season.  This one I don't know what he thinks he sees because nobody attempted a tackle Osman kicked the ground and went over (not a dive imho).  The only thing I can think is that he tought a leg had caught a sunderland player, but as nobody tried to tackle it has to be intentional, so how he came to teh decision is baffling tbh.

Man City New Years Day should be interesting the way Brown and O'Shea have been defending.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
Sunderland v Man City KO 3.00 PM GMT.

Few injuries not expecting antging, should be "interesting" given our lack of pace especially in defence.

Everyone have a good safe night and say hello to the hang over for me.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: January 01, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
KEV!!!

Play yuhself. :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Unbelievable!   

Ji was offside though. But we go take it.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

giggsy11

« Reply #3496 on: January 01, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
Well played Sunderland! :beermug: The difference in the side with O'neil vs Bruce night and day. Side better organized, disciplined and appears to have a plan to follow on the field. Bendtner is the worse!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:05:36 AM by Giggsy11 »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 01, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
Two Man City players cost more than the entire Sunderland squad and yet!!! Offside? Yes! But calls like that usually even out by the end of the season.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

giggsy11

« Reply #3498 on: January 01, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
Two Man City players cost more than the entire Sunderland squad and yet!!! Offside? Yes! But calls like that usually even out by the end of the season.

Seems like City needs a second wind and a plan B.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 01, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »

;D  always happens when yuh spoilt for choice, hard to make up yuh mind
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

giggsy11

« Reply #3500 on: January 01, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »

;D  always happens when yuh spoilt for choice, hard to make up yuh mind

The interesting thing with City is they only have one midfield creator (Silva), and very inconsistent wideplayers.  Teams I think figuring out how to defend against their skilled players in and around the box. Nasir might as well still be at Arsenal for all his contributing to the side.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well what can you say, the club kept the illness very quiet so I was fearing the worst when I seen the teamsheet with no proper fullbacks etc.

Strange game really, City had the vast majority to only really created 1 or 2 really good chances we also had 2 very good chances that should of done better with. 

I got the impression that City players just thought they had to turn up to win tbh, I was surprised as I have been very impressed by them this season.  But would of been happy with a small defeat or draw before the game and during tbh.

As for the offside, well its one of those sometimes its given sometimes not the linesman is just behind so probably doesn't see Ji through the Man City player so can't give offside.  But as I have said before about this very tight decisions it happens and is understandable whatever way it goes.  Having said that it makes up for the 2 points the non penalty cost us last week, that wasn't even debatable tbh.

The difference under MON is there for all to see, from an unorganised, ill discipled rabble with no Plan A let alone Plan B to a team that actually has some  idea of what to do.  It is also nice to see him constantly telling them what to do, encouraging them and even today was pushing them forward at the end. 

Well played Sunderland! :beermug: The difference in the side with O'neil vs Bruce night and day. Side better organized, disciplined and appears to have a plan to follow on the field. Bendtner is the worse!

Bendtner is truely awful, won't compete, can't hold it up and has the heart of a mouse, desperately need some pace and someone that can hold up the ball, compete with CH's.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the holidays I know I will.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 01, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »
Never cease to amaze me what a difference a good coach could make in a team.

From day one since O'neill took control of this team, they have been a whole lot more solid and structured and play with a great deal more confidence. All the players starting on a clean slate pushing to impress the manager and earn a spot in the squad.

What even more amazing is the players he doing it with. Mclean? Kilgallon? Colback? Ji? Vaughan? I mean really??

Average players at best punching well above their weight.

With some good purchases in the January window, Sunderland could have a strong 2nd half of the season.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 01, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Pure offside goal......no two ways about it.

Did you all see the man turn Ji head and drag he tongue, while they celebrating?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 03, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
Wigan v Sunderland 7.45 KO.

I really haven't got a lot of expectation tonight, given the illness and injury situation most of the team will consist of those on Sunday, that much running off the ball and another very heavy pitch, can't expect a great deal.  Would of been happily taken 3 points from these 2 games ( 1 tbh) so anything really would be a bonus.

elan, I know the goal was offside, but understandable the linesman didn't give it from his position.  Its OK having all these replays. lines on pitch and deciding the player is offside by an inch or so, but its not that easy live when not in position and linesman simply aren't going to get them right all the time, some will go for you some will go against.  A lot more difficult to understand the blatant ones when the linemans in line and the player is a yard onside though.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 03, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
Wigan v Sunderland 7.45 KO.

I really haven't got a lot of expectation tonight, given the illness and injury situation most of the team will consist of those on Sunday, that much running off the ball and another very heavy pitch, can't expect a great deal.  Would of been happily taken 3 points from these 2 games ( 1 tbh) so anything really would be a bonus.

elan, I know the goal was offside, but understandable the linesman didn't give it from his position.  Its OK having all these replays. lines on pitch and deciding the player is offside by an inch or so, but its not that easy live when not in position and linesman simply aren't going to get them right all the time, some will go for you some will go against.  A lot more difficult to understand the blatant ones when the linemans in line and the player is a yard onside though.

Sorry, but did not need a replay to see that one. In the build up and the movement you could have seen that easily. The lines man has the best position to see the offside  ???  His entire body was beyond the defender. Maybe the linesman can argue that a defender pass the ball towards the attacking player?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 03, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »
Elan,

I think its one of those understandable ones, he's a couple of yards behind JI and watching when the ball is played and when it is JI runs across the pitch rather than through towards goal and the City guy comes back a bit, so by the time he eyes have shifted he can't really see JI through the city player (as he is not in line) and he has to be certain, now if he had been that 2 yards further down when he looked up he would of seen JI in front and would of give it.  Its all about opinions but for me that mistake is understandable given teh circumstances, now the penalty last week, totally different.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
Well won 4-1 score flattered us a bit but happily take it.

Couple of cracking goals although don't think it was a free kick for the 1st and carried a little bit of luck, as said score was hard on Wigan.

Bendtner proved yet again he's useless.

What can you say about MON, 6 games 13 points

Posh away next in the cup on Sunday.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: January 08, 2012, 04:24:30 AM »
Posh v Sunderland KO 3.30 PM.

Live on terestial TV in UK after City v Untied match.

Don't know what teh team is going to be, MON might give another couple of youngsters a go. Colback is injured, picked up an injury during the warm up at Wigan and played through. Would like to go through so just have to wait and see, as many will know you just couldn't guess whether the team would ever turn up under Bruce it was always 50 / 50.  Whatever team it is today will turn up under MON.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: January 08, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
Boring game, MON just had them sat back and picked them off, very organised - professional.  Nice draw for next round Boro at home.

1]; } ?>