April 28, 2024, 06:33:04 PM

Author Topic: Ten of the worst managers  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Ten of the worst managers
« on: July 15, 2005, 08:43:49 AM »
ESPN, soccernet.com

10 of the worst... Managers

you can check out the list from this link.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=336164&cc=3888

But I was looking at Jabloteh's Terry Fenwick's story.

Terry Fenwick (Northampton Town)

Former England international Terry Fenwick was another manager who arrived at a lower league club to a fanfare. It was a fanfare that was soon replaced by the cries of pain from supporters as they watched their players run around the pitch with no leadership or tactical awareness.

Fenwick took over at Sixfields just after the turn of the year in the 2002/03 season. He was in charge for just seven games over 47 days, during which the Cobblers failed to win a single game and picked up just two points.

They would not recover from a tenure of complete farce and Northampton finished bottom of the Second Division, five points adrift of Mansfield and a further six from the safety zone.

All that can be said in defence of Fenwick is that the team was not exactly performing well before his arrival - but they were even worse afterwards.

Fenwick's spell as Northampton boss is the second shortest in English football history. He was last seen at Ashford Town of the Ryman League First Division, a job from which he resigned in January - the club went on to finish third from bottom, avoiding relegation by one point.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ten of the worst managers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:28:46 AM »
Here are two posts I made in the past about him, to tell yuh the truth I make the man look good by comparison!  Since his early moderate success at pompey he has been useless in the UK fuh true!!!

Unfortunately I know little about the current crop of local players in the PFL but I do know Fenwick.  Its certainly not Tactical genius as that was never something Fenwick was noted for at pompey.  During the 3 full and 2 part seasons he was at Pompey the highest they finished was around 7th or 8th I think. Generally they battled against relegation during his time but the team was workmanlike, adequately organised and therefore hard to breakdown...they rarely got battered in games from what I can remember. Fenwick has always managed mediocre teams in the UK with little financial clout, but he is no Harry Redknapp...this is why he gets found out.   I think his main quality in T&T is the organisation (i.e. discipline, well structured training and preparation for games, players knowing what is expected of them) he brought to Jabloteh. Also, you cannot deny He has experience at a higher level than any local coach in T&T.  When he was first at Jabloteh he was at a club that was relatively well run and attracted the better local players(i.e. one of the Big Fish)....if either or both of these factors has changed this season, he will definitely not be as successfull as he was last time.  You make light of the point in my previous post but I genuinely think it gives him an advantage over local coaches....how many of our guys have ever played at a World Cup finals.  All of what I have outlined so far in this post plus the fact that he can get that much more effort out of his players than a local is what made him successful and others flounder.  Will he be as successful this time around.....we'll see eh! :-\

If you look at it another way its a bad indictment of the ablities of many of our locally based coaches...if UK failures like Fenwick and Ricky Hill can get success so easily here. Or...maybe local players just have more respect for coaches that they know have achieved what they percieve as significant things in their career.  For English players, guys like Fenwick and Hill are 'a dime ah dozen'.  Most Trini's have seen video of or remember looking at these guys on TV, while you would struggle to find locals who have witnessed many of our local coaches (Brian Williams an exception) in action as players.  Sadly :-[ this especially relates to most of our greats that played in the NASL.

1]; } ?>