April 28, 2024, 07:25:52 PM

Author Topic: Stern John: I'm at Cats for 'total' football  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John: I'm at Cats for 'total' football
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »
Stern John: I'm at Cats for 'total' football
By Stuart Rayner (Sunderland Journal)

Stern John has revealed it was Roy Keane's brand of "proper" football which made him want to finally join Sunderland at the second attempt this season.

Keane succeeded where his chairman Niall Quinn had failed by bringing the 30-year-old centre-forward to the Stadium of Light as the sixth of his January signings.

After his debut at home to former club Coventry City on Saturday, which saw his new team win 2-0, John revealed he came close to joining the Black Cats in the previous transfer window.

"The move was supposed to happen earlier in the season when the chairman was in charge (as manager)," he said. "He was trying to get me but it didn't happen and now he's finally got me.

"I spoke to Roy Keane for a while and also Niall Quinn and everything they told me was what I expected of them. Now I just need to get on and help Sunderland back into the Premiership."

As well as citing all the usual attractions for joining the Black Cats - the stadium, fanbase, infrastructure and the lure of playing for Keane - John also pointed to the club's style of play as a big draw.

The Trinidad and Tobago international was bought primarily to provide a more robust alternative when the Wearsiders' pretty passing fails to penetrate - but it is Keane's commitment to the type of football he was taught by Brian Clough and Sir Alex Ferguson which most excites John.

"Watching the game (against Crystal Palace) on Tuesday night I really enjoyed the way the team tried to play total football, passing the ball and keeping possession," he said. "They're playing proper football, the way football's supposed to be played, and it's enjoyable to play in. Sunderland are attractive and try to play into the striker's feet. A lot of teams will be scared to come to Sunderland."

Having played in the Premiership with Birmingham City, another motivation for his £250,000 move was John's belief the Black Cats can give him the top-flight football he feels he merits. That John, who started Sunderland's early-season drop towards the relegation places by scoring against them for Coventry on the opening weekend, should be so positive about his new team's promotion prospects underlines the rapid transformation since.

"I feel I am a Premiership player and I want to play there again before my career is over," he added. "Sunderland also belong in the Premiership so I want to get them there as quickly as possible.

"There are a lot of new players in from the start of the season to now, it's a whole new team. The manager has brought in the players he thought could get them back in the Premiership." Although John admitted it was strange playing against a club he had left less than a week earlier he enjoyed the experience, not least because a 2-0 win means Sunderland are now one place outside of the play-off places.

"It was strange playing against Coventry but as soon as you cross the white line you're wearing the Sunderland shirt and you have to play for the team," he said.

"I would have loved to have scored on my debut but I think it was a good win."

John, one of three Trinidad and Togabo internationals in the starting line-up, believes familiar faces have helped him adapt to life on Wearside.

"I've settled in really well because apart from the T&T players there are a lot of others I've played with before like Wardy (Darren Ward) and Kenny Cunningham," he said.

"It's easier when you go to a team and you've played with a few of the players before because you know their strong points."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John: I'm at Cats for 'total' football
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
Nice one Tallman. Nice.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »
Welcome to the 2007 - 2008 EPL season. Today's match will feature Sunderland vs Manchester United.

5th minute: Yorke evades Scholes' tackle and passes to Edawards on the right. Edwards beats his marker Heinze and whips in a beautiful cross and Stern John is there to finish. This look like it came straight out of the soca warrior playbook.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 12:48:19 PM »
Welcome to the 2007 - 2008 EPL season. Today's match will feature Sunderland vs Manchester United.

5th minute: Yorke evades Scholes' tackle and passes to Edawards on the right. Edwards beats his marker Heinze and whips in a beautiful cross and Stern John is there to finish. This look like it came straight out of the soca warrior playbook.

:rotfl: Allyuh is kicks yes. Men real fantasizing. Daiz nice though Israel.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline labi

• New Warrior
  • AKINLABINHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

WAKE UP SOLDIER!!
akinlabinho

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 01:52:28 PM »

:rotfl: Allyuh is kicks yes. Men real fantasizing. Daiz nice though Israel.

yeah its nice tuh dream... but yuh really gettin ahead of yuhself dey.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 02:00:06 PM »
So Sunderland cyah beat Man U?  Who tell allyuh dat?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
Doe study them fellas.

ManU does get duss every year from a promoted team.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 07:13:06 PM »

CONTINUED

6th minute: Rooney scores a wonder goal after skipping through the whole Sunderland team

8th minute: Rooney scores an outragous volley

10th minute: Ronaldo with a great header

continues all the way to 90th

FT    UTD 25   Sunderland 3(Stern hat trick)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 07:16:42 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »

CONTINUED

6th minute: Rooney scores a wonder goal after skipping through the whole Sunderland team

8th minute: Rooney scores an outragous volley

10th minute: Ronaldo with a great header

continues all the way to 90th

FT    UTD 25   Sunderland 3(Stern hat trick)

Well yes, allyuh men is kicks yes!! :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 09:26:47 PM »
And Sunderland lose because Ronaldo does his usual dive and cry and wins a penalty.... :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 09:47:57 PM »
I must say u guys those dream more than Joseph
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>