March 29, 2024, 07:19:20 AM

Author Topic: What about a quality Olympic team program?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
What about a quality Olympic team program?
« on: July 15, 2005, 12:54:52 PM »
Seems to me T&T's Olympic team is always assembled "by the way", I might be wrong but there never seems to be enough prepartion nor a continual path towards the Olympic team.

Most of the big world teams place considerable emphasis on their Olympic team not only for the chance of qualifying or winning Gold medals, but simply because the Olympic team is U-23s, and any fool will tell you that your U-23s will be the core of your future World Cup Campaign.
 eg. Cameroon, Nigeria, USA, Brazil, Argentina, Italy.......

Hell! Let them play in the Pro League, or the Super league, let them do small camps in Guyana, Grenada, Bdos, Ja, etc. for exposure. Occasionally use them as the President's XI to warm up the big side or a visiting team.

Yet we are still in the "Oh gosh! Olympics qualifiers round d corner boy, leh we put together ah side" mode. When will we learn?

Please let me know if I am wrong.........

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What about a quality Olympic team program?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 01:05:51 PM »
I think the TTFF does forget that the Olympic Games takes place every four years.  Our past Under 23 teams have always been the most last minute collection of players..at least in recent times, they call up under former U 20 players...I remember there was an Under 23 team with  bunch of unknown players sprinkled with a few good ones such as Sheldon Bennett that they sent out to be fed to the lions.  Ever since then, they have not placed much emphasis on the under 23 team to my knowledge except one team in 1993 that included Dennis Lawrence and Avery John.

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 01:11:12 PM »
Well said nigelfabian, I have been saying this for a while now, but T&T will learn the hard way. Other caribbean nations have already began to use their U23 players in senior games.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 03:59:05 PM »
Not at all, acording to my chat with Lincoln, he is set to assemble our U-14 team, U17 tam, Women"s teams, U 21 and olympic teams and they will be in constant training.  Thats what the money he got from the government will be used for.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 04:18:39 PM »
ok i will take your word for it cause i know lincoln is yuh home boy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 05:59:45 PM »
Apparently from what I've been told, Olympic teams have some of the least priority of established football countries.

The reason is there simply is no money in it.

If you're looking at development, then your emphasis is at the Under 12, Under 15 and Under 17 level.

The Under 20 is the showcase for those players who came up through that development system to get picked up by the major clubs.   It also serves as the feeder for the senior men's national team.

In most instances in today's football, once you're past 20, you're deemed to be "too old" for clubs to take a chance on you.  Too many habits to break, etc.  Of course, if you're an exceptional talent, that will always overrule the norm.

Under 23's play in ONE tournament only.  The Olympics.  That's it.  Makes no sense on focusing on a under 23 team UNLESS.....

1 - You've worked with a core team since the Under 15 level and they stayed together through Under 17 and Under 20

2 - The intention is for the core of that team that grew together to go on to be the core of your National senior team.

This will only happen in non traditional footballing countries whose best players are unlikely to be snapped up by foreign leagues.

Just a counter opinion.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 10:36:54 PM »
Well said, Palos.  We talking bout big man that done supposed to have signed contract with professional teams.  The age at which players breaking into senior teams--both club and country--has gone done significantly over the last ten years.  At 23, men like Raul, Owen, and company was done superstars.

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 12:13:45 AM »
We have an olympic football team ??? ??? ???

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 03:22:40 AM »

NOBODY has an Olympic football team.  Every 4 years, some teams throw together some under 23 players and a few others and call it an Olympic team.  That is the point.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 10:54:03 AM »
I did not make my comment on here say or speculation, but on facts so I am not asking if the mentioned countries have such a program, but I am in fact telling.

For example, the US has a ODP team and ODP coaches and scouts
(eg Anthony James aka Duckins now head coach of YoungsTown girls team- he from Belmont, T&T)
ODP-Olympic Development Program. Hence Lincoln trying to organise this now as another man mentioned, if it was a waste of funds as a few have just suggested, why would Lincoln want it?

Most of the discovered US talent have passed through that system. It is simple common sense to have U-12 thru U-20, and then an Olympic program.

We all know about Pro teams not giving most players a look after age 20, but dat is more based on dollars and cents a business decision. (For future transfer, etc)

For national programs which is what I was talking about, teams understand that there are many late developers who can contribute, we especially would benefit as a country with our small talent pool to choose from.

Common put on yuh thinking caps........

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 12:08:13 PM »

What about getting some more info on what Lincoln is up to.
It easier to work on things when you not in the spotlight but at least the fans on this site could hear a little more on what going on behind the scenes.

I guess we have to wait until things start getting off the ground.

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 03:56:05 PM »
Lincoln has a very detailed youth development program.

It is Lincon's idea that we have National teams at all levels, both male and female in constant training.

He has also developed an educational protocol to help players develop comprehension and reading skills.  This program will encourage team work and will be fun based. 

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 04:13:03 PM »

NOBODY has an Olympic football team.  Every 4 years, some teams throw together some under 23 players and a few others and call it an Olympic team.  That is the point.

I know how it works boss. Read with a grain of salt nah!!!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 04:32:55 PM »

It is Lincon's idea that we have National teams at all levels, both male and female in constant training.

He has also developed an educational protocol to help players develop comprehension and reading skills.  This program will encourage team work and will be fun based. 

Good to hear.
Teach them some Spanish too so we go know what them Central Americans saying on de field and we cud cuss the ref in dey native tongue....dey real thief in dis Gold Cup....even doh we didn't need help to boot weself out.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 02:09:10 PM »

Just see Landon Donovon and Kassey Keller giving interviews on Telemundo....IN FLUENT SPANISH.
Dem things make you more marketable.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 08:38:21 PM »

Good to hear.
Teach them some Spanish too so we go know what them Central Americans saying on de field and we cud cuss the ref in dey native tongue....dey real thief in dis Gold Cup....even doh we didn't need help to boot weself out.

Some of the worst refing really. No man managment just flashing cards and really  no accountability. CONCACAF have to work on this
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>