April 24, 2024, 11:36:20 PM

Author Topic: Roberts Signs with Sparta Rotterdam FC.  (Read 9853 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Signs with Sparta Rotterdam FC.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 06:10:57 AM »
Good luck..
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Signs with Sparta Rotterdam FC
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 07:06:56 AM »
Congrats Robbie. you deserve it. I never knew about you till the Digicel Caribbean Cup and I was immediately impressed.
So, dreamer whey yuh was all dis time? We've been following him on dis site throughout his college career, and remember when Beenhakker call him into camp last year, and also Bertille did give him ah small sweat against Northern Ireland in Tobago. As recently as the 2006 college season, ah was making posts about him almost every week. Yuh was dreamin  ;D?

So yuh see, Bertille gave de man his first cap, so he deserve piece of de money  :rotfl:.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 07:22:42 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 08:07:21 AM »
Top tier in Holland. Very very good. Well Robbie, help de boys stay up in the top league ok? Cool. People we need to know how many get promoted/demoted in the Dutch leagues. Tallman, help we dey wit some info on dat please so we can make some good inputs on the "Trinis in action thread". And also some sites that speak english. Ah cyah take dis dutch lingo ting wit everybody soundin' like dey horkin' spit

breds. i doh think yuh need tallman to websurf for yuh  ;) check out espn's soccernet. there is a link to all the top European first and second division tables (for the bigger leagues). the tables are color coded and the teams that get promoted, demoted, qualify for the Champion's league, UEFA Cup etc..are explained. There are scores for every game and match reports..all in english. There are game schedules and match previews for the upcoming games, so you can see who is likely to play, who is injured, etc..There are stats for the league and stats for all the players in each team. I am sure there are other sites but I like this one. Check out the layout..here is the Eridivisie table.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=ned.1&cc=5901

And congrats to the youth...this is a great move for him and possibly for T&T football. I am sure Wim had something to do with it. As a national team coachg it would be highly unethical for him to act as  a player's agent, or he could be acused of playing 'his players' to make money instead of players who deserve to make the team. So even if Robert's agency negotiated the deal...Wim might have alerted some of his Dutch contacts to have a look at Roberts..just a hunch
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:17:36 AM by Filho »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 08:51:49 AM »
Yeah Tallman, I remember dat but de buzz didn't sound big enough to catch a fire somehow and I had a suspicion that Alvin Corneal's boys got the best opportunities partly because of more talk up. I also wondered if Alvin had somehow positioned himself to get some kinda percentage of the bonanza when his coaching school players make it big.  Btw, ah not trying to be cynical here as I also accept that players who have  gone to coaching schools like his have a foundation to take off at the rigt time

Yeah Fihlo, I good now.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
Hardest sign for Ajax yet?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 09:23:40 AM »
So yuh see, Bertille gave de man his first cap, so he deserve piece of de money :rotfl:.
So how much he go have to give Anton Corneal....  :whistling:...
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
So yuh see, Bertille gave de man his first cap, so he deserve piece of de money :rotfl:.
So how much he go have to give Anton Corneal....  :whistling:...
Corneal and BSC is pardnas, he go handle him  ;D
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Is this our first ever TnT player to play in the Dutch league?

besides tiger, ah think martin robertson from qrc played in holland for psv. not sure how much playin time he got there though. but ah real proud of darryl...from ah youth ah know this was his dream...to be ah pro!!! ah know his father is very proud of him and the entire cane farm possy too!!! :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2007, 10:20:40 AM »
well done roberts.....good potential....hopefully can turn into an international goalscorer ( his weakness so far...in my opinion)...which he needs to enhance his talents...also his footspeed....and i dont mean pace ...i mean speed of executing the skill he is trying....but good player....good luck kid
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2007, 10:40:07 AM »
Thats great new's man. GO and work hard boy, that is all we ask of you. Work hard.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »
Hardest sign for Ajax yet?

:rotfl:

i glad for roberts. well done. :applause: :applause:   sparta rotterdam is a step up.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
Thanks Grande, just what I was looking for. I tiefing yuh ting and from a piece ah just putting the in-yuh-face punchline from it as it givin' meh eyestrain

Team                P  GD  PTS

1 PSV                22 45  56
2 Ajax                22 29  48
3 AZ                  22 38  47
4 FC Twente      22 23  44
5 Feyenoord       22  4   42
6 Heerenveen     23 11  37
7 Roda JC           22 -2  32
8 NAC                22 -3  32
9 FC Groningen    23 -8  31
10 Vitesse           22 3   30
11 NEC               22 -3   30
12 FC Utrecht      22 -5   29
13 Sparta          22 -17 25
14 Heracles         22 -24 18
15 Willem II         22 -29 17
16 Excelsior          22 -16 16
17 ADO Den Haag 22 -19 13
18 RKC                22 -27 13

With that goal difference, Sparta either have a defense problem or a goal scoring problem at this time. Robbie yuh know what to do as yuh have yuh wuk cut out. Then tell de coach de bring some more defenders.

Let's see  :thinking: :thinking: ...... As ah watch Grande figures, ..... at home Sparta score 13 and concede 14 and away they score 13 and concede 29.

A total of 26 scored and 43 conceded. Presshah!! Dem boys mus' be jess eating beats dread. Send for Nigel Daniel and Cyd now! Dey also must be lacking in a li'l confidence when they leave the comfort zone of home turf and start panickin' away

its a decent club with a decent grounds, i wasnt too far from the grounds when i stayed in rotterdam by my uncle and cousins, it would have been even nicer for him to get drafted by feyernord instead  ;D bc diz one of meh other clubs, my cousins played against rotterdam fc many times when they were with feyernord and ajax.... :beermug:

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2007, 12:29:12 PM »
Thanks Grande, just what I was looking for. I tiefing yuh ting and from a piece ah just putting the in-yuh-face punchline from it as it givin' meh eyestrain

With that goal difference, Sparta either have a defense problem or a goal scoring problem at this time. Robbie yuh know what to do as yuh have yuh wuk cut out. Then tell de coach de bring some more defenders.

Let's see  :thinking: :thinking: ...... As ah watch Grande figures, ..... at home Sparta score 13 and concede 14 and away they score 13 and concede 29.

A total of 26 scored and 43 conceded. Presshah!! Dem boys mus' be jess eating beats dread. Send for Nigel Daniel and Cyd now! Dey also must be lacking in a li'l confidence when they leave the comfort zone of home turf and start panickin' away

its a decent club with a decent grounds, i wasnt too far from the grounds when i stayed in rotterdam by my uncle and cousins, it would have been even nicer for him to get drafted by feyernord instead  ;D bc diz one of meh other clubs, my cousins played against rotterdam fc many times when they were with feyernord and ajax.... :beermug:

gard dammit!  :banginghead:

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2007, 12:57:42 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Congrats Darryl, ah real glad dat u eh take dat shitty offer with the MLS....all the MLS does do in my books is destroy players.....who eh agree cud kiss meh a$$.... ;D

W.K OUT
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »

gard dammit!  :banginghead:

Ah know!, trust me ah know.......... :rotfl: :rotfl:

W.K OUT
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »
I real real Happy for Roberts. :)

You could see the boy have something in Him. I glad he get a pro wuk and could develop even more.

Now this might be harsh to say.....and I know is a big combo of age, luck, talent, connections and hardwork.

But Roberts, Downing and the next fella from W-Con (Matthew Bartholomew) who get a contract were all young standouts. Does the move by these players reinforce the fact that the best get the opportunity and those in PFL are the remainder that cyar cut it?

All those who are star boys in TT have gotten trials in the past and still they remain here.

Now another thing that came to mind when I saw this........doe say is conspiracy neither eh but.

Could it be this move was on the cards a while now and Roberts, Baptisite, Bailey, Wiltshire, SEON POWER, Telesford etc. All have club watching them and they needed caps to make the transfers. Hence squeezing out Sealy and all the other PFL standouts who coulda play or make the side.

I waiting to see Seon Power get a pro contract abroad to reinforce my belief. Also Dwyane Jack was on trial with Wycombe before this digicel cup with two other Tobago United fellas and ent make it. Now from a footballing perspective I can see why but if is a transfer caps perspective then we could see why he make the team and get a run.

Not taking away these fellas are the best we have available. But the PFL or College standout of today is the foreign based pro of tomorrow.

We will never have a competent local core to match the best in Concacaf and the club (as we can see EVEN LOCAL) vs country obstacle will always continue to exist to the detriment of our football, but to the benefit of the individual player.

Anyhow all the best to ROberts, he have a bright future ahead of him and congrats. You have a fan here.

touches say de thing with a lil more conviction nah.. ;D
all corneal's player will get foreign contracts/countless tryouts..just rock back and watch..
youth+ talent+international caps = better looking resume, better chances of securing ah work permit..
all in all ah not vex...cause de more outside exposure for T&T players de better..

bless up to Darryl Roberts on his signing

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »
Congrats Robbie. you deserve it. I never knew about you till the Digicel Caribbean Cup and I was immediately impressed.

Forumites, I have one dotish question. Is this Division 1 in Holland the first tier or second tier (below a premier league)? That is, are they in the same league as, or below Ajax, Feyenord etc. Thanks. Either way I am happy for him so doh geh me wrong.

the same league as ajax  i think they are a mid table club .. wey fool fool lionpaw ah i bet he choking on his ball

Wham to u don? I hadn't been on this site in a while. Good luck to this Roberts fella I never heard of and I'm glad for u guys. U finally have a young player in a Top-Flight League. Time for u to pop the champagne.
Smoke and Fly

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2007, 02:38:18 PM »
Tiger played with Roda JC when he was ah youth, but I eh know how long he stayed there.

Ah wonder if Wim had any influence.

The article on the Rotterdam site says the contact came through MLF Sports Agency.
http://www.mlfsports.com/Press_Release.php
Heather MacKenzie, of MLF Sports. Ger Lagendijk, FIFA Players Agent in the Netherlands, was also involved in the transfer of Roberts.

Fellas da agency always advertising in Trinidad for players.They have Telesford also.Ah smell Corneal involvement too.They from either North or South Carolina.An area Corneal is very familiar with plus these two guys are his players.
Anyway Ah still feel good for Roberts.Ah hope he makes himself,his family and Trinidad proud. 
Carolina Based is right.

More of these young fellas need to understand how much a good agent can really help their career.

This is a great move for Darryl because he has excellent workrate and touch. He needs to be more clinical in his finishing. The Dutch are masters of technique and he couldn't find a better place to work on that missing element.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:47:48 PM by dumpalewie »
TnT Patriot

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2007, 03:02:38 PM »

Forumites, I have one dotish question. Is this Division 1 in Holland the first tier or second tier (below a premier league)? That is, are they in the same league as, or below Ajax, Feyenord etc. Thanks. Either way I am happy for him so doh geh me wrong.

the same league as ajax  i think they are a mid table club .. wey fool fool lionpaw ah i bet he choking on his ball

Wham to u don? I hadn't been on this site in a while. Good luck to this Roberts fella I never heard of and I'm glad for u guys. U finally have a young player in a Top-Flight League. Time for u to pop the champagne.

Yeah and its time for you to put down the spliff
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »
Tiger played with Roda JC when he was ah youth, but I eh know how long he stayed there.

Ah wonder if Wim had any influence.

The article on the Rotterdam site says the contact came through MLF Sports Agency.
http://www.mlfsports.com/Press_Release.php
Heather MacKenzie, of MLF Sports. Ger Lagendijk, FIFA Players Agent in the Netherlands, was also involved in the transfer of Roberts.

Fellas da agency always advertising in Trinidad for players.They have Telesford also.Ah smell Corneal involvement too.They from either North or South Carolina.An area Corneal is very familiar with plus these two guys are his players.
Anyway Ah still feel good for Roberts.Ah hope he makes himself,his family and Trinidad proud. 
Carolina Based is right.

More of these young fellas need to understand how much a good agent can really help their career.

This is a great move for Darryl because he has excellent workrate and touch. He needs to be more clinical in his finishing. The Dutch are masters of technique and he couldn't find a better place to work on that missing element.

I AGREE.....i just hope pl;ayers realise dat the UK isnt the only place to go play football

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »

Yeah and its time for you to put down the spliff

Why should I when it makes me fly?

Mi ago outside and builld a spliff now.

Peace and Blessings.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »

I AGREE.....i just hope pl;ayers realise dat the UK isnt the only place to go play football

I feel is more a agent thing than a player thing.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2007, 04:32:13 PM »

::) ::)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »
 I glad for the man too but REMEMBER BRENT RAHIM

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2007, 07:07:45 AM »
Good Move Darryl or Young Chennette.
                             Darryl's dad is a QRC old boy and play some good ball.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Anyone noticed that Sparta copied their uniform from Sunderland and the uniforms are almost identical.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »

off the sparta website - translated

Darryl Roberts (Trinidad & Tobago) has drawn on the last day for the closing of the international transferdeadline a contract by Sparta Rotterdam till and with 30 June 2008.  The castle club has near it an one-sided option bedongen for yet once two year.  Darryl Roberts became born on 26 September 1983.  Attacker Roberts made its debut in the national team of Trinidad & Tobago and plays this week under leadership of national coach Wim twig mountain two interlands against Panama and Costa Rica (4 February 2007).  Roberts completed its study at the Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, where he till on at present all-time topscorer is.  He played three seasons for the team of Carolina Dynamo in Greensboro in North Carolina (USA).  In January Darryl Roberts all five competitions of the national team played with in the tournament the Digicel Carribbean Cup.  He scored in that once.  Sparta Rotterdam has been pleased over the coming of the Middle-American player.  Darryl Roberts comes half February to the Netherlands.  The contacts its till position come via MLF Sports in the USA and Ger situated bank (Fifa Players Agent). 

http://www.sparta-rotterdam.nl/content/nieuws/default.asp?id=4114

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

besides tiger, ah think martin robertson from qrc played in holland for psv. not sure how much playin time he got there though. but ah real proud of darryl...from ah youth ah know this was his dream...to be ah pro!!! ah know his father is very proud of him and the entire cane farm possy too!!! :beermug: :beermug:

Where in cane farm he lived,I use to live in dinsley,he father was ah ballman ah what?

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Darryl Roberts in Holland
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2007, 07:30:13 AM »
JUST 23 years old, Darryl Roberts became the latest Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warrior to sign a European contract when he was hired for 18 months by Sparta Rotterdam, who play in the top division in Holland, home of T&T head coach Wim Rijsbergen.

Roberts confirmed the move while on a two-match tour of Central America with an inexperienced Soca Warriors team who were defeated in matches against Panama (2-1) last Wednesday and Costa Rica (4-0) on Sunday.

"I just signed a contract with Sparta Rotterdam. As you know, they play in the Eredevisie. So, hopefully, I could be over there by mid-February and see how things go from there. Honestly, I wanted to finish my degree first before I do anything. But, I was able to get the contract through the help of my agent Heather McKenzie, who is in America, and through the help of another agent who is in Europe.

"They suggested this Dutch league. I have spoken to the coaches here (Rijsbergen) and they gave me advice and they said I could develop very well as a player there and they gave me some personal experiences of their own. So, we will see how it takes off."

Until playing for the national team in last month's Digicel Caribbean Cup Finals, Roberts was an almost unknown player in Trinidad and Tobago, although he represented Fatima College in the Secondary Schools Football League from 1998-2001.

A former Malta Carib Alcons player, he was recommended to ex-T&T coach Bertille St Clair by current national assistant coach Anton Corneal in 2004 at the start of the qualifying campaign in which T&T booked a place at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

But, after being in the training squad for the game against Dominican Republic and a practice match against Northern Ireland, Roberts was not given another chance to address the selectors, until Rijsbergen spotted him in the United States during a scouting exercise late last year in South Carolina.

Roberts had continued to represent Liberty College, where he became Liberty's all-time leading scorer in his final season. He was also selected to his second All-South Atlantic Region team with his selection to the third team as a senior, having been named to the second team as a freshman in 2002.

In addition, he was named to his third Big South all-conference second team to go along with a first-team selection in 2002. That year, Roberts was selected a Freshman All-America after scoring a nation-high 17 goals.

He played through the Caribbean Cup Finals where he impressed quite a few, including coach Rijsbergen, notably when he took a goalkeeper's charge which set up fellow striker Gary Glasgow for a goal against Martinique.

Roberts said his Caribbean Cup experience was instrumental in securing the Dutch contract.

"The agent in Europe took some of the DVDs from the Digicel Cup, and when he went into Sparta and showed them the DVDs, from then on they were very interested," Roberts reported, adding that he will now go back to the USA and try to secure his work permit, before heading off to Holland in a week or so.

1]; } ?>