April 25, 2024, 05:56:05 AM

Author Topic: Stern admits disappointment after Gold Cup defeat.  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stern admits disappointment after Gold Cup defeat.
« on: July 16, 2005, 06:44:40 AM »
Stern admits disappointment after Gold Cup defeat.
By: Shaun Fuentes - sternjohn.com.

Trinidad and Tobago captain Stern John, in the following remarks, express his disappointment following the country's dismal showing in the final Group A encounter of the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup in Miami against Colombia. T&T suffered a 2-0 defeat at the feet of Colombia and will now shift their attention to the August 17 2006 World Cup qualifier against the United States.
"Obviously I’m seriously disappointed about the performance. We made a mess of  ourselves and I know all the guys agree it was like watching an amateur team play even though we know we are all professionals and capable of putting in a professional performance.
We never earned the right to play in the quarter finals with such a performance as we had today. I’m speaking for myself and the rest of the guys. It’s the third Gold Cup I have been to and then have to go home after the first round. It’s a worse feeling when you see that the other teams aren’t better than us. It really was a case where we beat ourselves.
We know how big the next game is for us. It’s a done deal in terms of what is required now. There’s no need to say that is necessary. I think come next month you will see a fitter team and the guys will be more up for it, speaking on my behalf as well. I know some of the fans may be saying that they are too accustomed with these kind of lines now, but to be fair, that’s the only way the situation could turn out now.
This can only be a positive for us. Because we played two good games against Panama and Mexico and then the expectations went high up. Then this Gold Cup performance has brought us back down to earth and make us realize that we have to be more consistent and work harder in all departments of the game.”
Not making any excuses too but I think Colombia showed us no respect in the build up to the first goal. Marvin went down and they saw that, for a while too, and they went on with the game and we all saw what happened after that with the goal. Even the referee saw what happened and he didn’t seem to care. Isn’t that what the FIFA fair play was about. If we were in that situation, we were would have stopped the play and it makes you question what is the purpose of fair play. They demonstrated that they will do anything to win a game and then if we start doing things like that, I bet we would be labeled as a the bad guys. But all in all, the way we played, we didn’t deserve to come away winners. We have got to learn how to play like a winning team on a more consistent basis.
We missed two major players in Dwight and Carlos through club commitments and injury. That’s the reality of the situation and now we must see how well we can work as a team to iron out the problems and get ourselves in order again. I’m not saying that our chances depends on one or two players. It should be a whole team effort and those two guys and the rest of the players are all vital to the overall team."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Stern admits disappointment after Gold Cup defeat.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 06:55:46 AM »
Well I guess we have to be like Colombia a little more and do anything for a win, who cares what they think of us, bad boy or none a win is a win, you need to develop that habbit. We would have been stupid to stop play in the middle of play and we were so close to scoring like Colombia was, I see many times our players think they were off side and stop play ? why, if de ref dont blow then buss de dam net, this is we problem, we try to play to clean and give teams to much respect, in these day and age no teams show you respect, they will feed on the weak, you cant have double mind. Poor excuse Stern John in your MLS days you have have buss them net at any cost, yuh get to soft and lazy. You and many on our players need to develop a determin and willing mind and play with heart, who cares about being a little dirty, thats part of the game, de same way de Panamiam player had Stern on check with a few rough tackles and took him off his game and it worked !!!!! so try that sometimes, give de opponent some hasty ways and they will respect you because de soft thing not working, lets try something different, a different tactic like them Central Americans do and me eh saying to cuff down man eh....

Big up Avery John for showing some balls vs Colombia.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 07:14:43 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 07:18:50 AM »
Well I guess we have to be like Colombia a little more and do anything for a win, who cares what they think of us, bad boy or none a win is a win, you need to develop that habbit. We would have been stupid to stop play in the middle of play and we were so close to scoring like Colombia was, I see many times our players think they were off side and stop play ? why, if de ref dont blow then buss de dam net, this is we problem, we try to play to clean and give teams to much respect, in these day and age no teams show you respect, they will feed on the weak, you cant have double mind. Poor excuse Stern John in your MLS days you have have buss them net at any cost, yuh get to soft and lazy. You and many on our players need to develop a determin and willing mind and play with heart, who cares about being a little dirty, thats part of the game, de same way de Panamiam player had Stern on check with a few rough tackles and took him off his game and it worked !!!!! so try that sometimes, give de opponent some hasty ways and they will respect you because de soft thing not working, lets try something different, a different tactic like them Central Americans do and me eh saying to cuff down man eh....

Big up Avery John for showing some balls vs Colombia.

I agree..at this level..play with the whistle. Unless the ref eh blow..go for goal. Good sources say that SJ change he name to Stern "half slab" John. [slab ah cake that is]. Puff and stuff smiling when "half Slab" in town.

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 07:24:25 AM »
Puff and stuff smiling when "half Slab" in town.

hahaha daz ah good one

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 07:34:05 AM »
I'm disappointed that Stern mentioned nothing about his sub par performance.Its one thing to mention about the team but but he needs to take stock of the sh!t he's playing.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 07:57:47 AM »
He needs to go to the hills, and meditate.. While up there, take a bush bath, and ingest some bush medicine..!!!

Clensing is what is needed.!!!

I think Trumpet bush will do well for him.. It will help clean out he system.. Probably some of the shittiness will pass out!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 04:04:02 PM »
i seriously think stern dont think that he is a problem and a liability on the side right now..hopefully he go back and they put him through a rigorous training program

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 11:50:24 AM »
If only Beenie had bench Stern for all dat shit he was putting down maybe Stern would have realised by now that as a capatain he personally let himself and his team down badly with his substandard performances in all 3 games we played!

Stern its time to wake-up!! Yuh pants bottom was smellfully brown at the end of each game and it was not from mud on the pitch!

Lets see what Beenie does now to wake-up Stern!  >:(
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline sloaneseale

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 01:20:37 PM »
Stern was a good player but when you're not producing the goods over such a long period  how can you still be starting?Makes no sense at all. Not even sure if the bench has space for him right now. He has actually been un-scoring goals. Put Cornell and Yorke up front to work it together and please bring Anton Pierre back in defense. The man has a good work rate and was growing from strength to strength. Where's the Tiger? The midfield still needs work...

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
ppl ah tink he was talking bout marvin goin down injured right before de first goal . What he was saying is dat they or another team would have stopped play and let the player be attended to (which is de descent ting all teams normally do ) by de team staff . This was not done by Colombia and it was a shame in my view even though I did not notice it .

Aye..... de man have ah right to mention dis cause it was unsportsman like and unprofessional by Colombia, if it was done. It doesn't hide de fact that they played horrible unprofessional  football.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

1]; } ?>