April 26, 2024, 07:56:08 AM

Author Topic: Cops News Thread.  (Read 75531 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Family Releases Dashcam of Man Run Over By Police
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »
His decision to run ultimately led to his death. It shouldn't have, but that is a different argument.
This was a bad decision. Just like Trayvon Martin made a bad decision.
What did the ledger in his cost-benefit analysis add up to for him to decide that running was the best option. I am not blaming the victim, but rather, wondering what is the thought process. I'm trying to think of a situation where running would result in a BETTER outcome than whatever charge he thought he was about to collect. How long could he run? How many actually escape?

Stop thinking like a lawyer for a moment, and think like a human (difficult, I know). What did he die for? To avoid another charge for having no license? I want to reach out and shake some sense into these young people.

Lol... this is so patently foolish.  I'll just look past your unnecessarily snide comment about my supposed difficulty to think like a human and just address your assumption that I'm "thinking like a lawyer."  I notice a trend, you is just the second person in as many nights to mention my profession as though that automatically and reflexively defer to my legal training when analyzing any situation.  I am swayed by logic, not emotion, not hyperbole.  I won't even address the foolish comment about Trayvon making a bad decision... clearly you drinking from the same tainted vat of Kool-Aid as Ribbit. 

The assumption here is that had he not run he would have lived... you don't know that.  I don't even have to refer to my professional experience on this... cops kill people all the time, and many of the victims are complying or trying to comply.  The issue here is one of poor training, coupled with over-exuberance by the cop.  Cops are humans and like most humans, when we get over excited it becomes easier for us to lose focus (forget caution/good sense) and get caught up in the adrenaline rush and get carried away.  Believe it or not, police chases don't happen very often, and this is precisely why it is discouraged.  Anything can happen.  Same reason you don't shoot at a moving vehicle... unless yuh on TV... or in Trinidad.  This cop was negligent in how he operated the vehicle... ESPECIALLY on grass.  You can't stop as efficiently on grass... any dummy knows this.  This cop was unprepared for an emergency situation given how he approached the scene. 

How often do we hear of suspects running from the cops?  Maybe you don't, but I hear about it all the time.  Many involve chases where the suspects are fleeing on foot.  I think in all my years this is the second time I've ever heard of a suspect getting run over by a cop.  This alone should tell you that the decision to run was contributory, but hardly THE dispositive factor in his death.  Chances are he would not have run and Officer Odie here with he overglad self coulda pull out a gun and shoot him instead, or get over-exuberant in subduing him.  It is simply poorly-reasoned logic to state/conclude that "his decision to run ultimately led to his death."

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »
that's quite the mugshot collection. there was a fella in the states that used to get arrested and booked every 2-3 days on average. they had a link to his mugshot collection. you could even figure out from dat collection when he get a haircut or when a new shirt enter de wardrobe. looks like de fella was running about four arrests per year when he checked out.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »
I'll just look past your unnecessarily snide comment about my supposed difficulty to think like a human and just address your assumption that I'm "thinking like a lawyer."

Sorry, this was just a little Pavlovian bell-ringing for my amusement. Lawyer jokes are cheap. I'll try harder next time.

That aside, I'll try to make my comments clearer, so that a logician such as yourself can understand my muddled thoughts.

1. The sequence of events that led to his end started with him running from the cops.
2. What circumstances would make this a good decision? The statistics from the link below say people escape about 25% of the time, maybe those are good odds if you're facing jail time.
3. Would a different decision have a different outcome? - We can't know this, but we can say that the likelihood of a bad outcome is reduced if you make better decisions.

Too many times, people's lives are undone due to poor decision making.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/march-2010/evidence-based-decisions-on-police-pursuits
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
hmmm For not wearing a seat belt he would have just gotten a ticket one would assume  no need to run  ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »
it's obvious that if de man didn't run he would be alive today.

bakes is jealous of crump because he on tv and makin money. bakes working hard as a moderator on sw.net and he cyah get a wuk like crump. crump milking his trayvon connection cause he understand de theatre.

hmmm For not wearing a seat belt he would have just gotten a ticket one would assume  no need to run  ?

no doubt he have more than a few bad cheques that de police eh find yet.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »

bakes is jealous of crump because he on tv and makin money. bakes working hard as a moderator on sw.net and he cyah get a wuk like crump. crump milking his trayvon connection cause he understand de theatre.

no doubt he have more than a few bad cheques that de police eh find yet.

Crump loves the race card it seems
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »

Moderator job have perks... doh be vex that my letter of interest reach een first and leave yuh home scratching yuh fadda nuts.

Must be more to the story... possibly had weed on him or outstanding warrants.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:02:10 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »

Sorry, this was just a little Pavlovian bell-ringing for my amusement. Lawyer jokes are cheap. I'll try harder next time.

That aside, I'll try to make my comments clearer, so that a logician such as yourself can understand my muddled thoughts.

1. The sequence of events that led to his end started with him running from the cops.
2. What circumstances would make this a good decision? The statistics from the link below say people escape about 25% of the time, maybe those are good odds if you're facing jail time.
3. Would a different decision have a different outcome? - We can't know this, but we can say that the likelihood of a bad outcome is reduced if you make better decisions.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/march-2010/evidence-based-decisions-on-police-pursuits

Try ringing yuh bell ah little harder because yuh buss dey.  As for the "muddled thoughts"... why start with him running from the cops?  Why not start with him not wearing he seatbelt?  Clearly that is what allegedly triggered the initial police inquiry.  Or wait... what about him deciding to drive?  Naturally if he wasn't driving he wouldn'a need to wear seatbelt... no police attention... no need to flee... no need to get cornered, get out run... get run over by reckless cop.  But what about the decision to leave the house in the first place?  If he did only keep he ass in de house like any responsible human being at that time of night, no need to drive... no need for seat belt... no police...

Why focus on the proximate nd superseding acause of his death when we can engage in an infinitely pointless tautological exercise...

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2013, 05:29:28 PM »
Allyuh fellas can't be so heartless.   It doesn't matter what he did or his record.  That kind of behavior is similar to just finding a negro and lynching him.  Maybe he should have stayed home.  Not walked down that side of the street, eat less fatty foods.  If the law keepers are not committed to the process then there is no civilization, in that case the privileged can determined who lives or dies.   We should never let empathy elude us so much as to watch someone run over by police and say, "serves him right."   I'm positive you won't be able to eat that seed when harvest come.   

Malcolm X called white people "White Devils".  I don't agree with him but I can understand why he can have that view.  And it's a valid view even though not entirely true.  So we need to have more compassion for other peoples' pain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:32:49 PM by Preacher »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »

Try ringing yuh bell ah little harder because yuh buss dey.  As for the "muddled thoughts"... why start with him running from the cops?  Why not start with him not wearing he seatbelt?  Clearly that is what allegedly triggered the initial police inquiry.  Or wait... what about him deciding to drive?  Naturally if he wasn't driving he wouldn'a need to wear seatbelt... no police attention... no need to flee... no need to get cornered, get out run... get run over by reckless cop.  But what about the decision to leave the house in the first place?  If he did only keep he ass in de house like any responsible human being at that time of night, no need to drive... no need for seat belt... no police...

Why focus on the proximate nd superseding acause of his death when we can engage in an infinitely pointless tautological exercise...

The great thing about the bell is that the response is involuntary.

Once again, I apologize for not being clear. I struggle to rise to your standards. The reason why I picked that decision to question is because the risk/reward calculation is so obviously different. But I acknowledge that a pointless tautological exercise means getting out of bed in the morning could carry severe risks. Russian roulette might be safer.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »

Once again, I apologize for not being clear. I struggle to rise to your standards. The reason why I picked that decision to question is because the risk/reward calculation is so obviously different. But I acknowledge that a pointless tautological exercise means getting out of bed in the morning could carry severe risks. Russian roulette might be safer.

You real flattering yuhself with the "involuntary" response talk... there's a difference between responding to something and reacting to it.  But if yuh really so desperate for self-gratification and think yuh do something... free up yuhself. 

As for you questioning the decision, I dunno why you feel the need to break it down.  I understood from jump, as I'm sure everyone else did.  A rational individual would conduct that risk/reward analysis and figure that even if you run away from the cops yuh leaving behind a car registered to someone... who could then finger you to the cops.  At best the car wouldn't lead back someone who could ID you, but yuh leaving behind prints that might. 

That's a rational person.  Spend any time around/dealing with these fellas and you'll soon understand that the streets lives by its own code and it takes a lot of counter-programming to untrain the years of conditioning that by now makes flight instinctive rather than rational. No one here has suggested that flight was a good... let alone the proper response.  Not sure why you intent on beating that dead horse.  The larger point is that his flight may have set the chain in motion and thus is part of the chain of factual causation... no different from him deciding to drive, not wear a seatbelt etc.. etc..  A chain that stretches all the way back to his parents decision to have unprotected sex.  No offense to you... or take offense if yuh want, but this is a simplistic analysis.  The superseding cause of his death was the recklessness of the police officer behind the wheel of the car.  It's your choice where you want to place your focus/emphasis.. and when that focus is found wanting, feel free to ring some more Shango bells in hopes of getting a reaction.  And when even that fails just conjure up one in your head anyways  :beermug:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »

You real flattering yuhself with the "involuntary" response talk... there's a difference between responding to something and reacting to it.  But if yuh really so desperate for self-gratification and think yuh do something... free up yuhself. 

As for you questioning the decision, I dunno why you feel the need to break it down.  I understood from jump, as I'm sure everyone else did.  A rational individual would conduct that risk/reward analysis and figure that even if you run away from the cops yuh leaving behind a car registered to someone... who could then finger you to the cops.  At best the car wouldn't lead back someone who could ID you, but yuh leaving behind prints that might. 

That's a rational person.  Spend any time around/dealing with these fellas and you'll soon understand that the streets lives by its own code and it takes a lot of counter-programming to untrain the years of conditioning that by now makes flight instinctive rather than rational. No one here has suggested that flight was a good... let alone the proper response.  Not sure why you intent on beating that dead horse.  The larger point is that his flight may have set the chain in motion and thus is part of the chain of factual causation... no different from him deciding to drive, not wear a seatbelt etc.. etc..  A chain that stretches all the way back to his parents decision to have unprotected sex.  No offense to you... or take offense if yuh want, but this is a simplistic analysis.  The superseding cause of his death was the recklessness of the police officer behind the wheel of the car.  It's your choice where you want to place your focus/emphasis.. and when that focus is found wanting, feel free to ring some more Shango bells in hopes of getting a reaction.  And when even that fails just conjure up one in your head anyways  :beermug:

Mih grandfather was a baptist preacher, the bell ringing must be hereditary. 

But thanks for the information. His conditioning led to an impulse move that was irrational. Maybe his downfall was inevitable and the circumstances just happen to be unusual. In that case, no one is to blame. The police man is a victim as well.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »
Allyuh fellas can't be so heartless.   It doesn't matter what he did or his record.  That kind of behavior is similar to just finding a negro and lynching him.  Maybe he should have stayed home.  Not walked down that side of the street, eat less fatty foods.  If the law keepers are not committed to the process then there is no civilization, in that case the privileged can determined who lives or dies.   We should never let empathy elude us so much as to watch someone run over by police and say, "serves him right."   I'm positive you won't be able to eat that seed when harvest come.   

Malcolm X called white people "White Devils".  I don't agree with him but I can understand why he can have that view.  And it's a valid view even though not entirely true.  So we need to have more compassion for other peoples' pain.

preacher, to be honest i read that fella rap sheet and i only thinking of all the victims he sucker out of money or beat (c.f. multiple counts of battery and one count of agg. assault). maybe if those people get a nice writeup in a papers people woulda think on them just a little bit as well. instead dey out of frame - cause this story is only about this po' black man and de racist zimmerman cop and crump trying to level de scales of social justice while wearing a yellow tie. de ME in deland must be look like quincy cause he part of de conspiracy now.

dis must be de most popular narrative in us culture by far.

bitter, yuh tying up de boy in knots!  :rotfl:

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »

preacher, to be honest i read that fella rap sheet and i only thinking of all the victims he sucker out of money or beat (c.f. multiple counts of battery and one count of agg. assault). maybe if those people get a nice writeup in a papers people woulda think on them just a little bit as well. instead dey out of frame - cause this story is only about this po' black man and de racist zimmerman cop and crump trying to level de scales of social justice while wearing a yellow tie. de ME in deland must be look like quincy cause he part of de conspiracy now.

dis must be de most popular narrative in us culture by far.

bitter, yuh tying up de boy in knots!  :rotfl:

Rabbit I hear what you are saying about the people "Out of Frame" that have been hurt by this fellow.  Now check this, if this was a payback type situation from a civilian I could understand it even though it's still wrong.   I think we can both agree that police can't go around murdering people, who they perceive to be deserving.   
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T prisons officers have been labelled as “crooks”
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2013, 03:01:59 AM »
Prisons boss’ stunning claim: 5 percent of service corrupt
By Jensen LaVende (Guardian).

Five per cent of this country’s prisons officers have been labelled as “crooked” by their head, Commissioner of Prisons Martin Martinez. Speaking to members of the media yesterday at the Noor Hassanali room in the Parliament chamber, Waterfront Complex, Port-of-Spain, Martinez said the majority of his staff were honest. He said the issues recently raised in the prisons arise from the hard work of his honest officers who seek to rid the system of contraband which makes its way into the prison via relatives and friends.

Martinez was speaking after the official handing over of the eight-page report on the current crisis at Golden Grove, Arouca, by a nine-member committee headed by Prof Ramesh Deosaran, who was mandated by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on Monday to look into the conditions within the prisons system.

The committee submitted the report, which included two appendices—one a report from Deosaran completed in 2006, and the other, Inspector of Prisons Daniel Khan’s 2012 report. Khan is also a member of the committee. The committee was set up after the shooting death of off-duty prisons officer Andy Rogers in Malabar on November 7 started a chain of events which led, among other things, to prisons officers being injured during rioting by the prisoners.

Rogers’ colleagues subsequently staged a protest which led to prisoners rioting at the Arouca prison, leading Persad-Bissessar to name the committee to resolve the problems.

Answering a question on the issue of contraband in the prisons yesterday, Martinez said one in every 20 of his officers was helping prisoners acquire cigarettes, cellphones and both cocaine and marijuana. “Out of my 3,000 officers, five per cent are crooked. They are crooked. But the other 95 per cent are decent, hardworking, honest officers,” Martinez said, thumping the desk. In fact, a raid during a lockdown at Arouca earlier this week netted thousands of dollars worth of contraband items.

Martinez said apart from his corrupt officers, the majority of contraband which gets into the prisons comes from relatives of prisoners. He said prisoners receive contraband from relatives through clothing, food and other amenities brought to them from outside. He added that some contraband items are carried in by the prisoners themselves who have not been properly searched or who insert them in their anuses.

Martinez added that the underground economy in the prison system is also fuelled by those who throw items over the prison walls. While Martinez admitted that only one in every 20 officers is corrupt, prisoners say that number is more like one in every three. Sources from within the prison walls have estimated that a large fraction of officers are crooked and are fuelling the underground economy for financial gain.

Attempts to contact Prisons Officers’ Association president Cerron Richards for comment were unsuccessful last evening as calls to his cellphone went unanswered and he did not return calls.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A few important things to remember the next time a cop pulls you over
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »
A few important things to remember the next time a cop pulls you over
By Adam Albright-Hanna (upworthy.com)

Obeying the law is a good idea. Knowing it is even better.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A few important things to remember the next time a cop pulls you over
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
Sadly these rights are specifically for Americans. In the UK, for instance, your silence can be held against you in court. It's a bug-bear of mine as it's designed to protect innocent people talking themselves into jail

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Cops in T&T Thread.
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2014, 02:52:18 AM »
COPS RAID COPS
By NALINEE SEELAL - NEWSDAY
Wednesday, February 19 2014

IN A CASE of police raiding police, senior South Western Division officers on Monday afternoon executed a search warrant at the Fyzabad Police Station where during a search, they discovered a quantity of marijuana, cocaine and several rounds of ammunition of various calibre, hidden in the ceiling above the male bathroom and inside a filing cabinet in the dormitory.

Discovery of the contraband items at the police station on Monday sent shock waves throughout the length and breadth of the Police Service. According to reports, Insp Anderson Parriman, head of the Fyzabad Police Station, acting on information, stunned colleagues at the station when he ordered a lockdown of the building and a thorough search to be carried out of the male dormitory and male bathroom. The search began at about 3 pm.

Insp Parriman, assisted by several senior officers and sniffer dogs, first went to the male dormitory and searched a filing cabinet where they found marijuana and cocaine packaged in sealed packets. The marijuana weighed 560 grammes while the cocaine weighed 36 grammes.

Officers then went to the bathroom and removed ceiling tiles where they found 130 rounds of ammunition of varying calibre. Acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams yesterday confirmed the raid.

“There have been certain discoveries made by the Inspector in charge of that police station and he is to submit an urgent report to me. I will be assigning officers from the Professional Standards Bureau to do a priority investigation into this matter.

“Anything which points to improper conduct by police officers will be of grave concern to me and this matter will be urgently addressed,” Williams said. Williams said he could give no further information on the raid including whether or not any officer was questioned in connection with the find.

Acting Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Donald Denoon yesterday told Newsday, “an investigation is ongoing into the matter and I am awaiting a thorough report from Insp Parriman before the investigation can go any further.”

He revealed the items seized are to be packaged with special markings, which will then be sent to the Forensic Science Centre, St James, for certain tests to be carried out. The results of these tests will form part of the final report.

Denoon said based on what is contained in the report, a decision will then be taken on the next move with respect to finding out who was responsible for placing the items in these hiding spots.

Yesterday, other senior officers when contacted said it is possible that persons other than police officers who may have had access to the station — including members of the Defense Force — could have placed the ammunition in the ceiling. As for the drugs, sources said, they cannot discount the possibility that rogue cops are behind the hiding of the narcotics.

Up until yesterday no officer assigned to the Fyzabad Police Station had been questioned, or transferred in connection with the drugs and ammo found.

President of the Police Social and Welfare Association Insp Anand Ramesar yesterday said the find was a disgrace and a disservice to hardworking and dedicated police officers. “It is necessary for the Commissioner of Police to ensure a thorough investigation is conducted. Additionally, the regular act of transferring officers to other police stations when such an incident occurs, with no further action, cannot continue as very often, innocent persons are caught in the crossfire and sometimes are unfairly stigmatised.

“It is important that as they move forward we protect the integrity of those who are not responsible and simultaneously deal swiftly with those found culpable of this find,” Ramesar said.

This is not the first time contraband items have been found hidden in a police station.

In August 2009 and again in September of that year, police carried out separate raids at St Joseph Police Station where they seized four unregistered firearms and a quantity of narcotics in the office of a senior officer. Among the firearms recovered were a Beretta pistol and a shotgun, which were reportedly hidden in the ceiling of that office. In the September raid at that same police station, officers seized two shotguns, an undisclosed amount of ammunition and an undisclosed amount of marijuana.

One of the shotguns was found hidden behind the property room of the station and the other was found hidden in a kitchen drawer. Ammunition was also found in a drawer in an office while the marijuana was found in a drawer in another office.

As a result of the seizures, then Ag Commissioner James Philbert (now retired) ordered 38 officers of the station transferred to other stations with not one officer being charged. The items found at the St Joseph Police Station are still lodged at the Forensic Science Centre.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Cops in T&T Thread.
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
Crazy T&T Cops kill two more teenagers including Carifta Games bronze medalist!

COPS KILL 2 COUSINS
Mom: Police shot two minors, took up their bodies like dogs and drop it in the van and drive off

By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jun 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM ECT (T&T Express)

HAKEEM ALEXANDER, 16, who last year brought home a bronze medal for this country at the Carifta Games held in the Bahamas, and his 15-year-old cousin, schoolboy Tevin Alexander, were yesterday shot dead by police.

The number of police killings for the year now stands at 26.

Relatives said the teenagers were kneeling on the roadway with their hands raised in surrender when they were killed by uniformed police officers.

Police officers claimed they were greeted with gunfire when they entered the Chinapoo, Morvant, area yesterday and the teens were killed when the officers returned fire.

According to public information officer for the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, Insp Wayne Mystar, around 4.15 p.m. yesterday, officers of the Inter Agency Task Force (IATF) and the North Eastern Division responded to reports of gunshots in the Chinapoo area in Morvant.

“On arrival at Wallace Road, they were greeted with gunfire. The police officers returned fire and two men were shot in the exchange,” Mystar said.

Mystar said the teens were taken to the Port of Spain General Hospital where they were both pronounced dead on arrival.

“Three other suspects related to the shooting were also apprehended and two firearms recovered,” Mystar said.

Relatives, however, yesterday disputed the Police Service’s version of events surrounding the death of the teens.

According to Tevin’s mother, Lisa De Leon-Alexander, the two teens were running toward their grandmother’s home in search of refuge as they were being shot at by a gunman when they were killed by police.

“I called him (Tevin) and he was breathless, he said, ‘Mummy, I am running. (Name called) and them now shoot up the block.’ I said, ‘Running where?’ He said, ‘I am going up by Aunty Josephine.’ I gave him five minutes and called him back. I said, ‘Where are you?’” she said.

“He breathless again. He said, ‘Them fellas coming up the hill, I going over the hill and going by granny.’ I said, ‘Why you so breathless?’ He said, ‘I am running.’ ‘I said, ‘Where Hakeem?’ He said, ‘Hakeem right here with me.’ So with that now I hang up the phone and called my mother,” she said.

“I called and said, ‘Mummy the children coming home, make sure they don’t leave the yard again.’ Then mummy called me back and she said, ‘I think they kill your child.’ I said, ‘They kill my child?’ So I kept calling his phone and no answer,” De Leon-Alexander said.

Tevin was a form four pupil at Belmont Secondary School.

His aunt ran out of her home when she saw the police officers force the teens to kneel and turned their guns on them, she said.

“From what my aunt is saying, because she is a stone’s throw away and she could see exactly what happened, she came out and she was begging for her nephew and they (the police) turned the gun on her. That is beyond outrageous,” De Leon-Alexander said.

“Somebody is seeing you doing something wrong. They are begging you not to do it as a human being and you still do it,” she said.

Leon-Alexander lamented that the same people hired to protect and serve are the ones who are killing them.

“Upstanding police officers came, shot two minors, took up their bodies like dogs and drop it in the van and drive off,” De Leon-Alexander said.

“Last time I checked their (the Police Service’s) motto was to protect and serve the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago and not to kill the citizens. These are the people were are supposed to trust and they turn around and violate our trust. There is no word to describe how I feel,” she said.

Hakeem’s father, Henry Alexander, said he took his son to Bowen Marine yesterday to see about a job.

Hakeem stayed home from work last week because of ill health, Henry said.

Last year, Hakeem claimed bronze for Trinidad and Tobago in the boys’ under-17 3,000m event in 9:49.59 at the Carifta Games.

Alexander yesterday brought out the trophies and medals his son won from running.

Among the four trophies Henry brought out yesterday was one Hakeem got last year when he placed first in the Morvant Police Youth Club 10k event.

“Imagine they (the police) are the same ones who come now and kill him,” Henry said.

Hakeem is said to be the national record holder for the National Primary School’s 3k.

Among dozens of medals Henry brought out yesterday were a gold and silver medal his son got at the National Junior Championship last year.

Hakeem was a former pupil at Success Laventille Secondary School and a member of the Simplex Club.

Police killings 2014:

1. Janus Alphonso, 28, January 10
2. Walcott Ali, 51, January 11
3. Nicholas Sylvester, 19, January 20
4. Kevon Charles, 26, January 31
5. Akeem Price, 22, February 4
6. Anthony Hepburn, 29, February 11
7. Junior Noel, 31, February 14
8. Anderson Deo, 22, February 14
9. Jeremy Innis, 19, March 10
10. Adrian Charles, 24, March 18
11. Satrohan Ramhanie, 22
12. Anthony Hospedales, 18, March 26
13. Jerome Clunis, 23
14. Gilbert Browne, 25, March 27
15. Naim Dean, 21, April 11
16. Roy Thomas, 29, May 1
17. Chandrabhose Samaroo, 32, May 5
18. Anthony Amogan, 43, May 9
19. Antonio Swan, 21, May 13
20.  Nigel Long, 35, May 13
21. Dillon Mason, 20, May 21
22. Jerome Cross, 27, May 22
23. Joel Apparicio, 31, May 22
24. Chaquille McCoy, 21, June 5
25. Hakeem Alexander, 16, June 9
26. Tevin Alexander, 15, June 9

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:59:13 AM by Flex »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Differing reports from relatives, residents as cops kill cousins
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2014, 03:02:25 AM »
Differing reports from relatives, residents as cops kill cousins
Published: Tuesday, June 10, 2014
By Camille Clarke (T&T Guardian)

Bullets flew in two separate communities yesterday, resulting in the deaths of two teenagers and the injury of one police officer. In the case that drew the most attention, two cousins were shot dead by the police during an alleged shootout yesterday afternoon at Superville Hill, Morvant. Hakeem, 16, and Tevin Alexander, 15, of Lezama Trace, Chinapoo Village, were taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital nursing gunshot injuries after the shootout but were pronounced dead on arrival.

Hakeem represented T&T at the Carifta Games last year and Tevin was a Form Three student at Belmont Boys’ Secondary. Police said they were responding to a call of gunshots and heavily armed men in the area when they encountered three people, including the two youths, as they arrived at the scene. One man was armed with shotgun while the youths had handguns, they said.

Officers said one of the men ran through a track while one of the two youths opened fire on them. The other youth also opened fire and attempted to run through the track. The officers said they returned fire and the two youth suspects were injured. They were later taken to the hospital where they succumbed to their injuries. Two revolvers were recovered at the scene.

Police said the Alexanders were wanted for attempted murder, breaking and entry, sexual assault and larceny of a vehicle. The suspect who escaped was also wanted, police said. In a telephone interview yesterday, however, an eyewitness disputed the police account of what occurred. “The police tell them to go on their knees and put their hands up. They ask them where they come from and they ain’t give them time to say nothing and they put bullets in their belly.

“I say that is an injustice and start to make noise. All you not supposed to do that. The police that was there look up and he look at me and let go some bullets at my house like if that was me he would waste me the same way. He riddled the boy after that and gone.” Lisa De Leon-Alexander, Tevin’s mother, said her son was innocent and was going to see his grandparents on the hill at the time he was killed. “If they do something talk to the parents,” she said.

“The children dropped to their knees and begged for their lives and you still kill them. They ain’t search them or check them. All you buss my child skin if he was doing anything wrong.” She said her aunt, who lived near where the shooting occurred, saw the incident and begged for her nephews. “She was begging for her nephews and they turn the gun on her. That is beyond outrageous. Cause somebody who seeing you do something wrong is begging you not to do it as a human being and you still do it.”

De Leon-Alexander said Tevin was unable to go to school because she had no money to send him. “They (police) are trained to protect and serve us but they kill us. They (boys) not in nothing. They were running from a man who was shooting behind them because he wants them to turn to Muslim. What part of my child, if he wants to turn to Jesus Christ and not Muslim, you should shoot him?” The mother denied Tevin was wanted by the police or known to the police.

Henry Alexander, Hakeem’s father, said his son was a national athlete. Pointing to a host of medals and trophies, he said his son had been laid off because he was ill for over a week but he had managed to negotiate with the boy’s employer to rehire him. “I call him (Hakeem) and say the bossman wanted him to check him and he will get back the work,” he said.

“Then I heard there was a fight up and the police shoot them. I did now come from Down the Islands and they say police shoot them. I surprise to hear police shoot him in the head and the cousin... he break the national record in school.” Henry said his son wanted to return to school (Success/Laventille Composite) and continue his career to become a professional athlete.

Boys no saints
Residents at Wallace Road claimed the two boys were not innocent and they had complained about them numerous times. One resident, who did not want to be identified, said the two youths, along with two other men, planned to ambush a relative of hers and he barely escaped with his life. “They living up there and we living down here. I don’t know what they warring we for? They used to be here liming and drinking together. It was all of them,” she said.

“I told him (her relative) not to go because they shot up the house on Friday. I was waiting to give him money and when he come I hear him quarreling and bleeding plenty,” she said pointing to gunshots at the house. She added: “The same one who they say is an athlete, his mother talk to him, his grandmother talk to him, father talk, aunt talk. Everybody talk to him. What going on with he?” She claimed they had Zion (Wallace Road) hot with illegal activity. Investigations are continuing.

Policeman shot in leg
Police were up to last evening searching Cameron Hill, Petit Valley, for gunmen who shot a colleague. The constable was shot in the leg after the officers responded to a report of an alleged kidnapping in Maraval. According to reports, officers of the Western Division Task Force went to Cameron Hill around 3 pm as they followed leads but when they got there their pathway was blocked by debris.

Constable Jason Clement and some other colleagues got out of their vehicle to remove the debris when they were fired upon. He was shot in the right leg. The gunmen escaped in nearby bushes. Also last night, police were also searching the compound of the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen mosque in Carapo and surrounding houses during a raid for arms and ammunition.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:04:05 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Police does know who dey killing.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Police does know who dey killing.

Oh so they knew they were killing two talented youngsters included a T&T Carifta bronze medalist?
If so then how patriotic of them doing that as I guess they must have killed them out of love for the youths and the country as they don't want one of them who was a very talented athlete winning T&T any more medals in the future to bring glory to T&T and make all Trinbagonians proud.

And what stopped them from arresting the youths? But we must murder two more Black youths today as no one is supposed to care about the lost of another young Black life?
26 police killings and 90% of them are Black boys or young men and no one cares.

If they had evidence that the boys shot and killed someone for argument sake then why not arrest them and press charges for murder because you have evidence.
But guess what the boys were both unarmed when they were murdered by the police and it was seen by a number of witnesses so this account is not a fabrication.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:39:07 PM by Socapro »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Because Trinidad police not going and fight up with all of that. From all accounts the youths were not just "Carifta stars" but they were involved in badness and were wanted on some serious charges. To top it off they shot at the police.

Trinidad police not going through alla dat. I'm not saying it's right, but that's reality.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Because Trinidad police not going and fight up with all of that. From all accounts the youths were not just "Carifta stars" but they were involved in badness and were wanted on some serious charges. To top it off they shot at the police.

Trinidad police not going through alla dat. I'm not saying it's right, but that's reality.

Where you got that bogus information from Toppa, from the police accounts?
The police are trying to cover up their crime. The boys had no guns and fired on no one, rather they were the ones who were fired upon while going about their business.

The truth is that the boys were returning home because they live in the area and heard gun shots being fired and started running for cover and the police started chasing them. The boys were not armed or involved in any criminal activity and they could have been any other Black youngsters living in the area who were heading home. At first the boys thought it was gangsters in the area firing at them but then as the shooters got closer they realized it was the police.

The boys then tried to surrender themselves to the police with the hope that the officers will realized they were innocent and unarmed and rather than the police doing their jobs and confirming if the boys were indeed criminals they decided to shot them in cold blood and in the view of on looking neighbours.

And this is the brutality against young Black boys one of who represented our country and made us proud by winning a bronze medal at the Carifta games. And the latest information I heard today about Hakeem Alexander is that he also had ambitions of becoming a police officer which stands to logic since Hakeem won the Morvant Police Youth Club 10k event last year. So the police actually murdered a youth who had long term ambitions to become one of them, how sad and ironic!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:41:20 PM by Socapro »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The truth is...

Lets not pretend we can claim this - we have conflicting reports from both sides that both have a vested interest in spinning the story to their end.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
police willing to reveal voice recording of the calls that came in to the command centre about the boys shooting spree and victim who was the target willing to come forward

i dont see the need to highlight his sporting endeavours...they cud run cool

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How you know that's the truth, Socapro?

The Express gives an account from the relatives of the boys and the Guardian gives an account from the residents who say the boys were involved in badness. It also lists the charges they were wanted on - attempted murder, sexual assault, robbery, etc.

If you piece the two articles together the picture it paints is that the boys were fleeing some other bad-boys, there was shooting, police responded to the scene and were shot at. They then shot two of the boys. Whether it was during the fire-fight (police returning fire as they said) or whether they apprehended them and then shot them is in dispute. I think it is possible that the police apprehended them and then shot them. But I also do not believe the boys were innocent "Carifta stars" like you are portraying.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The truth is...

Lets not pretend we can claim this - we have conflicting reports from both sides that both have a vested interest in spinning the story to their end.
Please I don't want to engage you in petty arguments right now! An innocent ambitious young athlete and his cousin have just been murdered in cold blood and we are now on 26 police murders for the years so far most of which have been perpetrated on young Black men.

Trinidad is in some serious trouble right now especially if we going to condone two innocent unarmed Black youths being murdered by police in front of witnesses who all confirmed what they saw.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:35:50 PM by Socapro »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The Express gives an account from the relatives of the boys and the Guardian gives an account from the residents who say the boys were involved in badness. It also lists the charges they were wanted on - attempted murder, sexual assault, robbery, etc.

If you piece the two articles together the picture it paints is that the boys were fleeing some other bad-boys, there was shooting, police responded to the scene and were shot at. They then shot two of the boys. Whether it was during the fire-fight (police returning fire as they said) or whether they apprehended them and then shot them is in dispute. I think it is possible that the police apprehended them and then shot them. But I also do not believe the boys were innocent "Carifta stars" like you are portraying.

the victim has already identified the boys as the ones shooting behind him

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

the victim has already identified the boys as the ones shooting behind him

Which victim is that? The one the boys almost killed (allegedly, of course) in the Guardian article?
www.westindiantube.com

1]; } ?>