April 26, 2024, 07:50:03 AM

Author Topic: Cops News Thread.  (Read 75530 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cops in T&T.
« Reply #240 on: January 05, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
Fuad Khan isnt a vet...he's an urologist.

I think the real intention is the fact that he basically lives at the hospital...like many others...which arent designed for long term occupancy. St. Anns is. If he want somewhere to stay and as eye witness reports show him to be a pest...well...let him get evaluated and work from there.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »
Fuad Khan isnt a vet...he's an urologist.

I think the real intention is the fact that he basically lives at the hospital...like many others...which arent designed for long term occupancy. St. Anns is. If he want somewhere to stay and as eye witness reports show him to be a pest...well...let him get evaluated and work from there.

Bourbon, the larger point is that in a proper society, outside of a court order, you can't pick somebody up off the street and take them to a mental hospital for evaluation.  The only times you see that happening in the US is if the person behaving in such a manner that they pose a threat to either themselves or to others, and there is an indication that they would benefit more from an evaluation than from jail.  There is nothing on that video indicating this fella has mental issues.  You can't go by what observers say and use that as the basis for either jailing or committing somebody.  If so then I could say "I see Bourbon exposing himself to young schoolgirls and talking to de sky... I think allyuh need to take him St. Ann's".  That is shit, call it what it is.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2015, 05:11:24 AM »
And I could tell you...having worked in Emergency Response that one of the frequent calls that the ambulance service gets locally is for psychiatric calls. Family, passers by, anybody can do something as simple as call (and waste) an ambulance, have them pick up a person, get them carried to the hospital, go through triage and if the doctor finds nothing medically wrong with them, and hears that the medical complaint was a psychiatric call can write a referral letter to St. Anns. If they violent then police should assist, and if the police have no resources to use then it left as is. And I talking about family members not willing to take responsibility and calling an ambulance service to help.

Sad to say but its true. The reality is that in most instances locally...the systems so slow and backward something like that would take ages.
Tangentially related to that....he should be glad the police didn't follow the process..cause it might very well be worse. The amount of licks he would have gotten off camera I sure it would have been worse.

And you know why that happened like that? Is a total waste of police time to have to pick up a man...carry him to the station to be charged....have to now monitor and baby sit him cause of his condition..wait for a case to come up..might very well be delayed..have to make court appearances and all that. Much easier to hit the man some hard slap and send him up de road. Which is what they did. Only reason this getting so much coverage is because some youth man chain him up to go back and video tape it. I almost certain that if this were full police officers and not SRP's then this wouldn't have come to a conclusion so quickly. The whole situation eh right...but...in the circumstances I not surprised how it turned out...and as I said..the man is a known nuisance.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
And I could tell you...having worked in Emergency Response that one of the frequent calls that the ambulance service gets locally is for psychiatric calls. Family, passers by, anybody can do something as simple as call (and waste) an ambulance, have them pick up a person, get them carried to the hospital, go through triage and if the doctor finds nothing medically wrong with them, and hears that the medical complaint was a psychiatric call can write a referral letter to St. Anns. If they violent then police should assist, and if the police have no resources to use then it left as is. And I talking about family members not willing to take responsibility and calling an ambulance service to help.

Sad to say but its true. The reality is that in most instances locally...the systems so slow and backward something like that would take ages.
Tangentially related to that....he should be glad the police didn't follow the process..cause it might very well be worse. The amount of licks he would have gotten off camera I sure it would have been worse.

And you know why that happened like that? Is a total waste of police time to have to pick up a man...carry him to the station to be charged....have to now monitor and baby sit him cause of his condition..wait for a case to come up..might very well be delayed..have to make court appearances and all that. Much easier to hit the man some hard slap and send him up de road. Which is what they did. Only reason this getting so much coverage is because some youth man chain him up to go back and video tape it. I almost certain that if this were full police officers and not SRP's then this wouldn't have come to a conclusion so quickly. The whole situation eh right...but...in the circumstances I not surprised how it turned out...and as I said..the man is a known nuisance.

It should be apparent then how that situation differs from what Fuad Khan has suggested, and why I talk about how backwards Trinidad is.  The rest of what you say about police taking out their frustrations/meting out summary judgment on people on the streets, that only confirms my statements.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »
"Backwards" ... hmmm.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2015, 05:00:14 PM »
That man in de wheel chair shoulda be related to me, I woulda beat de both police officers like a f00cking judas.

That big head indian babaylon feel he bad because he have on a badge.

Boy, he really know who to pick on, yuh feel he woulda slap a creole?

Indian to f00cking soft we.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
That man in de wheel chair shoulda be related to me, I woulda beat de both police officers like a f00cking judas.

That big head indian babaylon feel he bad because he have on a badge.

Boy, he really know who to pick on, yuh feel he woulda slap a creole?

Indian to f00cking soft we.

It is safer to shoot a creole or dougla like you who is not in a wheel chair than to slap him. Just saying.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »
vet  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »
vet  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

I heard it on a T&T raido talk show I was listening to. Should have doubled checked before taking it as gospel. My bad but don't forget that many of the current T&T government minsiters have false papers/qualifications and are not the best qualified for the positions they hold so it was easy to believe!  :devil:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:37:51 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »
Yuh know it never surprise me how we culturally do things- is like a kinda doltish backward genetically programmed  defective gene running in we veins despite all the scholars and smart people we have.
Now imagine we brought in two high priced police commissioners from Canada  and then we let the go - with all the methodology  knowledge and training they have yuh go tell me we could not learn from that?

Now in today's Guardian uh reading of the need for better training for police officers. How. A 21 year old with seven months training go walk into a bar  and confront bandits? Did he know that a robbery was in progress?  Did his partners not cover the exits? Like what really happen end here?
 Now people calling for better training- ent this government had ' a supposedly top qualified' police officer in position? Was he satisfied then with the level of training accorded to the recruits? Now the minister on NS bumping gums again and talking after the fact?

Trinidad Guardian
' A need for better Police Training '

January 8th 2015

Gerald Kowlessar
Sacrificing quality for quantity. That was how president of the Police Service Social and Welfare Association Insp Anand Ramesar summed up the training of police officers. He said if modern policies were not implemented to train police recruits there would be more incidents like that of the shooting of PC Kashyap Lochan and even worse. At the same time, Ramesar commended Lochan, who has been in the service for only seven months, for displaying dedication and bravery in the line of duty.

Ramesar said an examination of the incident involving Lochan showed the service sorely lacked proper policies. He said back in the 1980s, officers underwent some 18 months of training—six months in what was known as the Police Barracks, six months on the job and six months back in the barracks, with one month of vacation. Now a person undergoes six months of training to become a police officer and six weeks for a Special Reserve Police.

“The training is more academic than actual physical training. A lot of the drills have been cut out. “When we evaluate it, we recognised that the organisation lacks policies and proper modules when it comes to training and development that is structured to providing the relevant competencies for police officers,” Ramesar said. He said simulation exercises must be a part of the training process if the service was expected to produce quality officers.

“The Commissioner of Police needs to put proper modules in place when it comes to training. We need the simulation training that is taking place in first world countries like that of New York. “We need to look at those countries where policing and best practices operate. We need to bring real training where officers would be faced with dangers like close combat and real shooting situations,” Ramesar added.

He said such recommendations were made to acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams but were yet to be implemented. Executive members of the association are expected to meet with Williams early next week and top on the agenda is the issue of training. At the weekly press briefing held at the Police Administration building in Port-of-Spain yesterday, public information officer Supt Joanne Archie said the service was faced with challenges, but this would not deter officers from carrying out their duties.

She said members of the public needed to be reminded that crime was not a static phenomenon but rather dynamic. “The guarantee I would give members of the public is that the police officers would continue in all  their initiatives to ensure crime is reduced and the fear of crime is also reduced.

“The public’s fear needs to be allayed. In some areas we have had some successes but we are also saying we need to do more. When we look at our statistics and feedback from members of the public we agree there is so much more to do and which we are working on,” Archie added. She said many of the investigations which were solved were based on information from the public.

On the issue of training, she said, officers in their line of duty were faced with combatting lawlessness. “We are aware of what is happening and it is not the first time one of our officers have been shot. “We continue to train our officers and ensure they are equipped when they go out there to deal with crime and the lawlessness that pervades,” Archie said. When contacted, DCP Simon Alexis, who is the provost at the Police Training Academy, in St James, said he was in a meeting and could not comment. 

Griffith: Simulation training for police soon

Minister of National Security Gary Griffith said arrangements were being made to have simulation training organised for all police officers through the Ministry of National Security Training Academy. “We will be getting an indoor shooting range. We have to do the tender process for this. We will also have simulation training to give the officers the opportunity to look at different scenarios based on the threat.

“We will train them to use minimal force. They will be trained in how to use verbal persuasion and then the baton, then pepper spray and tasers before using their firearm. There will be drills for proper operation,” he said. Griffith said training directors went to the Waterloo Training College, in the United States, last year for training in dealing with all scenarios including road blocks, vehicle searches, car chases, aggressive confrontations, and customer service.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:42:21 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2015, 05:51:15 PM »
I believe the person in charge of National Security should be a properly qualified person rather than a political appointment attached to any particular political party. Crime and health are the most important issues in the country followed by Jobs, Education, Sports and Culture which can all be linked to helping to reduce crime.

This Gary Griffith fellow spewing all this political rhetoric and taking the T&T public for fools in preparation for them trying to win the next general elections despite a dismal performance in all areas of government and a long list of broken promises has convinced me of that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:57:37 PM by Socapro »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2015, 06:15:43 AM »
Cops in fist fight
By NALINEE SEELAL (Newsday).
Monday, January 26 2015

The arrest of the officer came minutes after he reportedly began cursing his colleagues on their way to a murder scene at St Paul Street, Port-of-Spain on Saturday afternoon. According to police reports, the officer who was last attached to the Western Division, but who is now on vacation leave reportedly parked his vehicle close to a bar where he was reportedly seen having drinks.

According to reports, his vehicle was parked in a manner which was blocking the free flow of traffic.

Shortly after 6 pm, homicide officers as well as officers of the Port-of-Spain division were called to St Paul Street, after gunshots were heard in the area. When officers arrived on the scene they saw the senior officer’s vehicle blocking the traffic as well as their access to get to what was now a murder scene. Police sources told Newsday that Kern Lewis, 29, of Quevado Circular, East Dry River, was standing in the vicinity of St Paul Street when he was shot several times about the body and head. When homicide officers tried to get to the scene, they realised the senior officer’s vehicle was blocking their pathway and they reportedly asked him to remove the vehicle. It was there, the senior officer allegedly began cursing the officers and refused to move his vehicle.

Acting ASP Richard Smith of the Port-of-Spain Division, who was on his way to the murder scene observed the confrontation and intervened by asking the senior officer to move his vehicle and desist from using obscene language. It is alleged that the senior officer again refused prompting acting ASP Smith to detain him and take him to the Besson Street Police Station. According to well-placed sources, while at the station, the officer continued cursing, and then reportedly attacked ASP Smith resulting in a fist fight between the two officers.

Other officers at the Besson Street Police Station quickly intervened and subdued the cursing officer and then asked him to submit himself to a breathalyser test. Newsday understands that the senior officer refused, promoting acting ASP Smith to seek guidance from his senior officers.

Newsday understands, acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams was contacted and informed of the situation. Contacted by Newsday yesterday, the acting Commissioner confirmed that he was told of an incident involving two senior officers but he was awaiting a full report on exactly what transpired before commenting further. He said that he had appointed Deputy Commissioner Harold Philip who is in charge of operations in the police service to detail a senior officer to probe the incident. However, Newsday understands that the senior officer involved in the brawl remained detained all of Saturday night and yesterday he was slapped with the three charges by acting ASP Smith. Up until midday yesterday, the officer had not arranged bail for the three offences although his relatives were trying to make contact with his attorney to represent his legal interest in the matter.

Sources at the Besson Street Police Station told Newsday that they were appalled by the behaviour of the senior officer especially at a time when morale in the police service was low and the public seems to have a lot of distrust in the police service because of the behaviour of some officers.

One officer who witnessed the incident inside the police station involving the senior officer and acting ASP Smith said, he could not believe what he witnessed because he never expected that type of behaviour from a senior officer.

Yesterday, secretary of the Police Social and Welfare Association, acting Inspector Michael Seales, told Newsday, “I am appalled, I am stunned but I hope that swift action is taken in the circumstances to ensure that someone who is guilty of an offence be it a senior officer or civilian face the full brunt of the law.”

Newsday understands that the officer’s vehicle was eventually towed from where it was blocking the free flow of traffic and impounded at Traffic Branch pending further investigations. The murder scene was visited by several other senior officers and the body of Lewis viewed by District Medical Officer Dr Pounder and ordered removed to the Forensic Science Centre, St James.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2015, 05:02:15 AM »
Wining cop praised by police body
By Jensen La Vende (Guardian)

The police officer video-taped wining at a fete on Carnival Sunday was fulfilling his marital responsibilities, while doing his job and should be applauded and not reprimanded, according to secretary of the Police Second Division Association Insp Michael Seales.

Speaking during CNC3 Morning Brew yesterday Seales said officers are challenged to have quality time with their spouses as a result of their work schedule and the officer in question, a sargeant attached to the West End Police Station, “took advantage” of the situation.

Seales added that the best person to gyrate on the officer’s wife was the officer himself.

“The whole thing has been blown out of proportion. We want to promote healthy living between a spouse and her husband.” Seales said adding that he have seen people in uniform belonging to other arms of the National Security, dance with their significant others in the past but since the officer was gyrating there were some derogatory comments.

“We would want to applaud him because we are talking about him maintaining his marriage,” Seales said.

Also backing the officer was president of the association Insp Anand Ramesar who said the entire incident needed to be placed in context. Ramesar said the officer ought not to be dismissed but given some training in maintaining the public image of the police service.

On Wednesday, acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams during a Carnival post mortem media briefing said that officers are guided by their training and are held in high standard by the public.

Williams also said an investigation has been launched into the wining officer’s conduct

A police sergeant attached to the West End station dances with a partygoer during the annual Sunny Side Up Breakfast Party in Santa Cruz last Sunday. The officer’s conduct is currently under investigation after a video of him wining with another woman surfaced on Facebook.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »
Is that nonchalant or what?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
Steups... what a backwards cesspit this country called Trinidad has descended into. What we should be serious about we skylarking with, and what we shouldn't even give two thoughts to his front page news.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
Steups... what a backwards cesspit this country called Trinidad has descended into. What we should be serious about we skylarking with, and what we shouldn't even give two thoughts to his front page news.

We are now officially a drinking and PPing country but hopefully that will change once elections are called.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 06, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »

‘Disgruntled’ cops plan to stay away next week

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Disgruntled-cops-plan--to-stay-away-next-week-295430961.html

By Alexander Bruzual

Monday and Tuesday seems to be shaping up as a day of “rest and reflection” for several men and women of the Police Service (TTPS) as they plan to stay away from work to “think about” the current situation regarding their salary negotiations.

Yesterday afternoon, seve­ral police sour­ces called Express to indicate there were “serious rumblings” among the membership of the TTPS to “call in sick” or “declare an emergency” as a means of showing their frustration and unhappiness with the state of negotiations.

On Tuesday morning, the exec­utive members of the TTPS Social and Welfare Association, led by Inspector Anand Ramesar, stormed out of the office of the Chief Personnel Officer (CPO), Stephanie Lewis, as they refused to accept the offer which was laid out for them.

Since then, Ramesar and his team have been meeting with officers of the First and Second Division units of the TTPS throughout the country as they seek instructions on what to do next. The instructions they received were that “under no circumstances” were they to accept the current officer from the CPO.

However, police officers seem to be prepared to take the matter even further as they have informed the asso­ciation’s executives that if the situation was not addressed soon, they would stay away from work next week.

“Your information is correct. The membership has indicated that there is an intention to engage in some sort of informal behaviour next week.

“Clearly, this is behavi­our which the associa­tion has not spearheaded or instructed its mem­bers to conduct. But rather, the information presented to us seems to suggest that officers may rest and reflect on what is happen­ing regar­ding their salary nego­ti­ations on Monday and Tuesday.

“Simply put, this means that the availability of TTPS will not be what is usually expected,” Ramesar explained.

And if this does come to fruition, this action, the association president noted, would potentially “paralyse operations in this country” and as such, he was hoping sometime over the weekend, the acting Commissioner of Police, the Minister of National Security or even the Prime Minister would intervene.

“This is a situation we would all like to avoid. But the CPO is offering 60 per cent of a 16 per cent market shift, and this is something our membership is unwilling to accept. So our officers are disgruntled and frustrated, and they are showing this clearly.

In a brief interview with the Express yesterday, acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, up to press time, said he was not aware of any reports of officers intending to stay away from work on Monday and Tuesday and, as a result, he was not prepared to comment on the issue at the time

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #257 on: March 12, 2015, 01:53:34 AM »
Cop offers bribe after alleged sex assault: $1,800 to stay quiet
By Camille Clarke (Guardian)

Two policemen were put on an identification parade last evening in connection with the sexual assault of a woman and bribery. They are accused of sexually assaulting the woman in a squad car while they had her in custody on a matter. The officers—a constable and a member of the Special Reserve United—were also questioned by their colleagues from the Professional Standards Bureau (PSB) after the woman made a report on an incident in which they were allegedly involved.

Both officers are assigned to a station in western Trinidad. On Monday, officers assigned to the station where the accused are assigned said ten members of the PSB entered the building asking for the accused. After being told the officers were not at the station, the PSB members asked for the sergeant on duty. The sergeant reportedly told them one of the suspected officers was present but the other was on mobile patrol. 

The senior officer assigned to the PSB then instructed his colleagues to arrest the officer who was at the station and asked that a wireless be sent out for the mobile patrol unit to return to the station immediately. When the unit returned the other officer was taken into custody and the PSB members took both accused away. However, their arrests were not lodged in the station diary. The officers have been detained at the Central and Belmont Police Stations since their arrests.

The T&T Guardian understands that one of the officers is accused of sexually assaulting the woman while she was in custody, while his colleague was held for allegedly offering the victim $1,800 not to report the matter. The victim claims she was with the officers along the North Coast Road, Maracas, after being picked up on a report of possession of marijuana on February 25.

It is alleged that one of the officers took her into the back seat of the police vehicle where he searched her. He then allegedly placed his hands into her underwear and sexually assaulted her. He then allegedly told the victim, “I never see one like this before.” Contacted yesterday, members of the Professional Standards Bureau denied the officers were under arrest although they were still in police custody. The accused officers were placed on parade last evening where they were pointed out by the victim.

Williams not yet briefed

Contacted yesterday on the matter, acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams said he was unaware of the case as he was out of the country. “I haven't heard about the matter. I am sure they would not want to tell me but it could be simply dealt with by other officers,” Williams said. Attempts to contact Police Service Social and Welfare Association president Anand Ramesar were unsuccessful yesterday. Also contacted, the association’s secretary Michael Seales said he had not heard about the matter and did not wish to comment.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2015, 01:49:12 AM »
Sex assault victim makes positive ID: Two cops in court today
By Camille Clarke (Guardian).

Two policemen assigned to the Maraval station will appear in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court today charged with nine offences. PCs Adrian Jack, of Curepe, and Omari Gonsales, of Laventille, were charged by members of the Professional Standards Bureau yesterday after the Director of Public Prosecutions gave the instructions to do so.

Jack, a police constable with nine years’ service, and Gonsales, a special reserve police officer with less than a year’s service, were charged with nine criminal offences, including indecent assault and grievous sexual assault, arising out of an incident involving a female suspect which occurred last month. In addition to the assault charges, the accused also face charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment, attempting to pervert the course of justice and corruptly soliciting and receiving $1,800 and $3,000 respectively from the alleged victim.

According to a release from the T&T Police Service yesterday, the charges arise from incidents on February 25 along Saddle Road, Maraval. The T&T Guardian understands that the victim, who was a suspect in a report of possession of marijuana, was initially taken into custody during a road block along Saddle Road, Maraval. The victim was then reportedly put into a police vehicle by two officers and taken to North Coast Road, Maracas.

It is alleged that while on the North Coast Road one of the officers went into the back seat with the suspect and sexually assaulted her. The other officer then allegedly offered her $1,800 to stay quiet. The victim, however, subsequently made a report. The officers were questioned and taken into custody by members of the Professional Standards Bureau on Monday. The two officers were pointed out by the victim during an identification parade at the Central Police Station on Wednesday night.

Colleagues stunned

Colleagues of the two officers yesterday expressed their disappointment and embarrassment over the incident. The T&T Guardian learned that some of their colleagues, friends and relatives even cried after hearing of their arrests. Concern was also raised yesterday over how the officers were allowed to take away the suspect from the road block exercise without permission from their seniors. It is the first time in years that the Maraval station has had any serious accusations of misconduct made against their officers, police said.

In a telephone interview yesterday, president of the Police Service Social and Welfare Association said he was still in shock over the incident. “I find it to be inconsistent with police behaviour. This is almost to difficult to believe,” he said. He noted that cases like those often took too long to be investigated and “the persons making the complaint lose interest and confidence in the process.” He said as the body representing officers, they would ensure their members were given fair treatment.

“We always advise our members if there is an investigation into any misconduct or criminal behaviours. At the end of the day they must be held accountable and must abide by the rule of law,” he said, adding the association will also make itself available to their families and their colleagues.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #259 on: March 14, 2015, 01:53:26 AM »
COPS IN JAIL
Shocked magistrate increases bail to $.8m on sexual charges, but accused unable to secure bonds
By Rickie Ramdass (Express).

THE two police officers on multiple criminal charges including the kidnapping and sexual assault of a woman will spend this weekend in custody after appearing in the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
Even though Cpl Adrian Jack and PC Omari Gonzales were granted bail in the sum of $500,000 and $300,000 respectively, the officers, who were last attached to the Western Division, were unable to have their bail bonds secured before the closure of the court.
The officers appeared before Senior Magistrate Gail Gonzales in the Fourth (A) Court around 11 a.m. and were not called upon to enter a plea on any of the indictable charges.

The charges

They face a total of 12 charges.
Jack is accused of indecent and grievous sexual assault against the woman; accepting bribes of $3,000 and $1,800 to forego a possession of marijuana charge against her; attempting to obtain $1,800 to forego the charge; perverting the course of justice; kidnapping and false imprisonment.
Gonzales is charged with kidnapping the woman; corruptly agreeing to accept $3,000 to forego the charge; accepting $1,800 as a reward to forego the charge and false imprisonment.
The offences are alleged to have taken place on February 25, 2015 along Saddle Road, Maraval, during a roadblock exercise.

Bail increased

Both officers were able to obtain bail at the police station on Thursday in the sum of $250,000 by a Justice of the Peace after the charges were laid, but upon their appearance in court, Magistrate Gonzales questioned why police officers with such serious allegations against their names are allowed station bail.
Pointing out the seriousness of the charges, the magistrate said she was “shocked” and “concerned” that the granting of bail was allowed to take place at the police station.
She said the courtroom was the appropriate jurisdiction for bail to be considered.
Soon after making the comments, the magistrate had the courtroom cleared of members of the public and the media to read the charges, given that some were of a sexual nature and the name of the victim is not allowed in the public domain.
Members of the media were later informed by court staff that Magistrate Gonzales had revoked the bail granted to the officers at the police station and granted the fresh bail bonds to be approved by a Clerk of the Peace.
Jack was represented by attorneys Keith Scotland and Chase Pegus, while Patrick Godson-Phillip represented Gonzales during the hearing.
Media photographers camped outside of the courthouse for close to four hours after the appearance in an attempt to capture photos of the officers but this was not attainable.
Court and Process Branch officers ordered members of the media to remove themselves to the far side of the roadway opposite the prisoners’ entrance to the courthouse.
Members of the public also gathered along the roadway to catch a glimpse of the accused officers but as they left the building, the officers hid their faces before being swiftly placed in a heavily-tinted Amalgamated Security Service van by their colleagues before being whisked away to prison.
They will return to court on April 9.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #260 on: March 17, 2015, 01:53:16 AM »
Online photos expose senior fire officer: Alleged victim fired
By Camille Clarke (Guardian).

A senior fire officer is now at the centre of a sex scandal after photos of him allegedly assaulting a former colleague and exposing himself were distributed by members of the Fire Services via the social media. The photos of the alleged assault show the officer attacking the female victim, who ends up crying with blood coming from her nose and mouth at the end of the assault.

Sources told the T&T Guardian that the victim, who is alleged to have been in a relationship with the officer, was forced to take sick leave after the attack and was fired from her position in the Fire Services soon after the incident, which occurred late last year. The matter was not reported to the police but some of the victims colleagues were so upset over the attack that they reportedly began sharing the photos of the attack online. The other photos which were circulated show the officer lying on a bed exposing his private parts.

Contacted yesterday, the officer in question confirmed the incident occurred last year. However, he claimed it was the woman who entered his Port-of-Spain office and “assaulted him.” Asked if anyone could visit his office and abuse him, he said: “My door always open.” Within moments of the conversation, the official contacted his attorney who then called the T&T Guardian to say it was important to let his client “comment before the photos were published.”

Threatening calls

Also contacted yesterday, the victim, who is now pregnant, said she was living in fear. “I am threatened, I fear for my life and making a report to the police because I am afraid to go to the police with it. “What did I do to deserve this? How long can I do that for?” she asked. She said since the incident and the sharing of the photos online she had been receiving calls from blocked cellphone numbers with the caller threatening her.

“I was on sick leave after I was abused. They (officers) did not want me to take my sick leave. This was after the incident happened, so I couldn’t work. The leave goes straight to him,” she said. The victim said she even left the country because she felt she was not safe here. She claimed to have become involved with the officer after she finished training. Asked if she did not think it inappropriate to be involved in a relationship with a senior officer, she said: “I knew certain things he didn’t want the public to know and he is afraid of letting them know.

“All I wanted was my job back and I was victimised and was physically assaulted. You can’t advantage people and do things to them if you have a reputation to hold.” She alleged that other female members of the Auxiliary Department were also being victimised. “If they don’t do certain things in the auxiliary you won’t get permanent work. So you have to sleep with a man to get somewhere in the service? “They come as a civilian. Do you need to sleep with someone to get rank?”

“I don’t really want to go back and I am a single parent with one (child) on the way. I am independent. I want to reason things out peacefully,” she said.

Association responds

President of the Fire Services Association Leo Ramkissoon called for an investigation into both incidents. “That is very serious and our regulations take this seriously. The law frowns on those who bring the service into disrepute. Those are serious allegations and must be investigated,” Ramkissoon said in a telephone interview. However, he said according to the Public Service Commission regulations officers of a lower rank could not investigate an officer of a higher rank.

“If any investigation is to take place it must come from the permanent secretary at the Ministry of National Security or the Service Commission Department,” he said.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
Pray for TnT yes

POLICE BRUTALITY
Surprise roadblocks cripple T&T

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/POLICE-BRUTALITY-297324431.html

By Richard Charan

It was described as “total policing” but outraged citizens considered it an act of police brutality.

In a calculated move that brought torture to thousands of citizens yesterday, the police found a way to protest the compensation package being offered by the State by setting up surprise road blocks along all major roads in Trinidad and Tobago.

Just after daybreak, police officers began moving in convoys of buses, motorcycles and squad cars.

They took up positions at strategic points along the highways and secondary roads, stopping vehicles leading to Port of Spain, San Fernando, and Scarborough, Tobago.

The roadblocks were timed to coincide with rush hour, on the first day of the work week, when people were driving or seeking transportation to get to work, school, the airports, hospitals, doctors’ offices, and other places.

With an estimated 170,000 vehicles entering the capital daily from every part of Trinidad, and 180,000 people being moved along the Priority Bus Route along the

East-West Corridor, the police action brought the country to a standstill.

The chaos extended to the air and sea ports, with Caribbean Airlines having to delay departure of international and domestic flights because of the number of passengers trapped in vehicles going nowhere for hours; the ferry from Tobago was delayed and the water taxi service from San Fernando to Port of Spain was over-subscribed.

Countless people simply gave up and returned home with their children as schools closed, and end-of-term examination rescheduled. With taxis and Public Transport Service Corporation (PTSC) buses unable to move, thousands more people had no way of getting anywhere.

Alarmed stakeholders have pointed out that the police action hurt productivity, came at a huge economic cost, hurt the country’s image internationally, and had damaged the public’s already low confidence in law enforcement.

Vice-president of the Police Service Social and Welfare Association Inspector Roger Alexander, in a TV6 Morning Edition interview, defended the roadblocks, saying that it was in response to Saturday’s shooting of a police officer, meant to rid the country of guns, and was done to show the police were hard workers.

In the same breath, however, he also said it was outrageous that a police constable worked for the same salary as a ministry clerk, and that commuters should prepare for more road blocks and walk with “breakfast, lunch and dinner”.

Association secretary Michael Seales described the work done by his officers yesterday as “total policing”, and not protest action.

However, at the roadblocks, drivers reported that no vehicle searches were done.

They said they were asked for licence and insurance documents by slow-moving police officers who, in some cases, poked around in purses and asked that motorists honk horns, switch on headlights, and check the tyre pressure and oil level on the engine’s dipstick.

The Police Service could not say last evening how many arrests were made or tickets issued during the exercises, and in its daily press release which details the crime-fighting work of the TTPS, no mention was made of the roadblocks.

However, the exercise revealed the vulnerability of the nation’s transportation system, and showed the power of the rank and file of the Police Service, with Transport Minister Stephen Cadiz admitting that nothing could be done about the police blocking roads, which apparently was coordinated and executed without the knowledge of the most senior officers of the Police Service.

Acting Commissioner of Police Ann Marie Alleyne-Daly, at a press conference yesterday afternoon, apologising to the country, saying she would have prevented the police plans had she known.

The gridlock only ended when National Security Minister Carl Alfonso called on Alleyne-Daly to order her officers to stop the roadblocks but the damage was already done.

The directive had the desired result, since an emergency meeting was called to discuss the wage issue and to prevent a rumoured second round of roadblocks last evening.

However, the police lost big in the court of public opinion, with officers condemned for showing no consideration for people who took no chances and began streaming out of Port of Spain early last evening.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »

This not ah joke ting. Is rhel pressure.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Alexander-Prepare-for-more-297323781.html

Police Insp Roger Alexander advised yesterday that because of how the police needed to treat with the current crime situation, citizens had better “walk with their breakfast, lunch and dinner” when leaving home.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2015, 04:51:23 AM »
Well played Police.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2015, 12:35:01 PM »
Well played Police.

they lost whatever little credibility they had with dat move................dey lucky nobody "take een" and dead in dat traffic ..........doh tink it was well played at all...........a gross miscalculation on their part.............given the public reaction ,the govt would be foolish to be seen to be "playin ball" as it relates to their demands...monday will not be easily forgotten or forgiven .................and yuh know we famous for short memories
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
Well played Police.

they lost whatever little credibility they had with dat move................dey lucky nobody "take een" and dead in dat traffic ..........doh tink it was well played at all...........a gross miscalculation on their part.............given the public reaction ,the govt would be foolish to be seen to be "playin ball" as it relates to their demands...monday will not be easily forgotten or forgiven .................and yuh know we famous for short memories

I think most people with a little common sense supported them and remember they were just doing their job so they technically did nothing wrong.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 25, 2015, 04:05:17 PM »
Well played Police.

I think most people with a little common sense supported them and remember they were just doing their job so they technically did nothing wrong.

dread nobody with any kind of common sense supported dat jackassness, it was a stupid idea born of selfish ignorance and typical TTPS boorishness, any manner of shit coulda happen...........dat was a cruel and unusual waste of time..........all d people dat singin praises knew full well to stay home and guess who they were.........why dey didn' come an' siddung in it to show support from dey family.............ah suppose is common sense to support children gettin car sick and missing exams steups
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:07:02 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »
Well played Police.

dread nobody with any kind of common sense supported dat jackassness, it was a stupid idea born of selfish ignorance and typical TTPS boorishness, any manner of shit coulda happen...........dat was a cruel and unusual waste of time..........all d people dat singin praises knew full well to stay home and guess who they were.........why dey didn' come an' siddung in it to show support from dey family.............ah suppose is common sense to support children gettin car sick and missing exams steups

You just unwittingly admitted that many folks were supporting the action.
The reality is that the police did what they did because they are not allowed to officially strike and that was a last resort to get the government to listen to their request for fairer treatment when it comes to their wage package.

A poll was done on one of the popular T&T radio stations that I happened to tune in to on Monday and even though most of the callers were negatively affected by the police roadblock action most of them (over 90%) understood and supported the police action.

Also in your emotional state you have lost sight of the FACT that the police technically did nothing wrong as they were only doing their jobs and did not go on a strike which they are not allowed to do by law.

I commend them for attempting to make the government sit up and listen by hitting everyone where it hurts as that is the only way you seem to get the current government to take your grievances seriously when they regard you as their working class slaves.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:23:44 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2015, 05:21:13 PM »
Sadly trinis block roads to show displeasure. Unable to take industrial action and being treated with scant regard by the cpo and by extension the finance minister they found a way to do nothing that contravened their responsibilities. Innovative thinking... One has to admit that.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #269 on: March 31, 2015, 01:50:40 AM »
Acting Inspector among detained cops
By Rhondor Dowlat and derek Achong (Guardian)

Twelve police officers have been arrested in connection with the alleged abuse of 22-year-old Ralph Lewis of Sangre Grande. The officers, who were arrested yesterday, will be placed on identification parades today at the Sangre Grande Police Station. When contacted yesterday, Lewis confirmed that he was called in by investigating officers to identify the officers who allegedly abused and burnt him while in custody on February 24.

Lewis, of Boys Town, Coronation Road, Sangre Grande, said he went into the district station after he learnt he was wanted in connection with house breaking and larceny. It was not until the next day, having been forced to stay at the station, that he was badly beaten and burnt. Lewis sustained burns to the genital area and his buttocks after he was doused with hot water, allegedly by a woman police officer while at the police station.

He also claimed that subsequent to the incident he was offered monetary bribes as much as $150,000, to drop all proceedings against the officers. Lewis’s incident was initially highlighted on the Crime Watch programme with host Ian Alleyne, on March 2, one week after the alleged incident took place. Once the identification parades are completed, investigators are expected to approach Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard, SC, for advice on possible charges.

Police sources said one of the officers, an acting Inspector, was detained by detectives of the Professional Standards Bureau at his Sangre Grande home yesterday morning. Before the team of investigators could visit the homes of the others, a corporal and a constable, the men surrendered themselves at the Sangre Grande Police Station—where the incident occurred. Three officers who were present in the interrogation room when the incident of police brutality allegedly occurred, were taken to police stations in Port-of-Spain where they remained detained up to late yesterday.

1]; } ?>