March 29, 2024, 04:20:28 AM

Author Topic: Cops News Thread.  (Read 74926 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: COPS WARN SASHA
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:51 AM »
SASHA UNDER FIRE
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/SASHA_UNDER_FIRE-124143579.html

By Renuka Singh
June 18, 2011
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan yesterday was the only Cabinet Minister to criticise the e-mails sent from the home computer of Sasha Mohammed, special adviser to the Prime Minister, attacking Express editor-in-chief Omatie Lyder and Express reporter Anna Ramdass.

While his Cabinet colleagues steered clear of the issue, Ramlogan called it "unfortunate" and advised all threatened media personnel to do what was "in their best interest".

"It is unfortunate that such a message went out to two senior journalists by a colleague," he said in a telephone interview.

"But it is a matter for them to take such action as they deem fit," he added.

Ramlogan said in this Internet age no employer can "exercise total control over the private use of the Internet by employees".

"That is a serious challenge the world over," Ramlogan said.

Ramlogan said he could not comment on the question of criminal charges and prosecution in the hate mail attack on the journalists from Mohammed's computer.

The e-mails were sent from an e-mail account under the name Janice Thomas which was traced to Mohammed's computer.

"That is a matter for the police and the Director of Public Prosecutions," he said.

But even as Ramlogan criticised Mohammed's actions, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley spat fire at both her and Julie Browne, deputy director of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA), calling them a "clear and present threat" to the well being of the People's National Movement (PNM).

Rowley was speaking after the PNM's general council meeting at Balisier House, Port of Spain yesterday.

Rowley criticised the cyber attack from Mohammed's computer and called for her to resign from her post.

He said the PNM was "threatened" by the continued employment of Mohammed and Browne in senior positions close to the office Prime Minister.

He said it was the PNM's duty to criticise and monitor the government.

"It is a threat to our well-being to have persons who are on the government payroll in positions like Julie Browne and Sasha Mohammed," he said.

"Until such persons are removed from the public sector payroll, we will continue to feel threatened," he said.

"I am calling on the Prime Minister to remove her (Browne) and stop using her for personal protection. After the conduct ascribed to Sasha Mohammed, I call on Prime Minister to tell the country if for the third time she is going to provide sustenance and protection to individuals in public service who are carrying on," he said.

Rowley counted Browne and dismissed SSA director and Mohammed's friend Reshmi Ramnarine as the first two people that the Prime Minister refused to comment on.

Rowley said officers of the State were being paid to do dangerous police work under the People's Partnership.

On Friday, police officers gave a stern warning to Mohammed over threatening e-mails sent to Lyder and Ramdass as the issues with Ramnarine's appointment to the SSA unfolded in the media.

Chairman of the Congress of the People Joseph Toney, commenting on the matter yesterday, said: "If a crime has been committed, in the circumstances of threatening e-mails from a Janice Thomas, then the perpetrator of the crime must face the full brunt of the law. The law does not allow the police to give a stern warning to anyone who has committed crime."

Lyder responded yesterday: "The judgment of the Prime Minister in her selection of people in key positions, paid for by taxpayers, is being questioned once again as it did in the shocking appointment of Reshmi Ramnarine to head the SSA. 

"Sasha Mohammed, an adviser to the Prime Minister, based on the outcome of the police investigation into what I considered to be threatening e-mails sent to me and Express reporter Anna Ramdass, is clearly not fit to advise anyone, and certainly not the prime minister of the country," she said.

"The e-mail was no doubt designed to intimidate me and the Express in our investigation of the appointment of Ms Ramnarine and to stifle freedom of the press.

"It failed to achieve this and never will.

"The Prime Minister must act as by now, she must be fully briefed on the outcome of the police investigation into the source of the emails. We are weighing our options in this matter."

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »
PM stays mum on Sasha

By Nikita Braxton-Benjamin South Bureau

Story Created: Jun 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Jun 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM ECT )

PRIME MINISTER Kamla Persad-Bissessar steered clear of journalists yesterday, not taking questions from reporters who waited for more than two hours to interview her.

Persad-Bissessar attended yesterday's South Regional Arm of the United National Congress Sports and Family Day held at Syne Village, Penal.

The Prime Minister, advertised as a "special guest", arrived at PowerGen Grounds around 4.30 p.m. where, surrounded by her security detail, she stopped to greet several people at the event.

Persad-Bissessar was approached by reporters who asked if she would answer questions.

She did not respond and continued walking.

She then retreated to the PowerGen Sports Club, located next to the grounds.

The media were told she went to "refresh herself".

A security officer stood guard at the entrance and told members of the media they were not allowed to enter the building.

Persad-Bissessar stayed for over an hour.

When she emerged from the building to make her way back to the sports day, she walked past the media, her security detail and police officers shielding her.

Back on the field she handed out prizes and took the microphone to thank the organisers of the sports and family day. She promised to return next year.

Persad-Bissessar's husband Dr Gregory Bissessar, who the pervious day had undergone several tests and was diagnosed with blockages in the blood vessels to his heart, stood at her side.

Reporters did not get the chance to ask Persad-Bissessar about her adviser Sasha Mohammed being warned by police officers after it was discovered that "hate mail" was sent from her home computer to Express Editor-in-Chief Omatie Lyder and Express reporter Anna Ramdass.

Government ministers also made no comment.

Both Local Government Minister Chandresh Sharma and Housing and Environment Minister Roodal Moonilal said they had not seen yesterday's Express lead story about Mohammed and the e-mails sent from her computer.

"I have not read the article so I don't know what the details are but I'm sure whatever it is, the law will always oblige if it is legal issue," Sharma said.

"I haven't read the newspaper ...I haven't read it to understand what is happening with that but I imagine if it is a police matter it is a police matter," was Moonilal's response.

Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner also declined comment.

"I not in that. When the Prime Minister comes ask her," he said.

Previous article
...MATT calls for response from Govt

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 05:38:17 AM »
...Other victim of cyber attacks
By Akile Simon

Story Created: Jun 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Jun 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM ECT )

FORMER Express editor and columnist Raoul Pantin yesterday said that he, too, was a victim of a cyber attack launched against him from the computer of Sasha Mohammed under the e-mail name Janice Thomas.

He called on Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to fire Mohammed as her special adviser.

Pantin said yesterday that after the police were able to ascertain that threatening e-mails sent to Express Editor-in-chief Omatie Lyder and reporter Anna Ramdass came from Mohammed's computer at her Boundary Road, San Juan home.

During a telephone interview with the Sunday Express yesterday, Pantin described his previous cyber attack by a woman who disguised herself as Janice Thomas, while interacting by e-mails and Facebook, as "vicious and unwarranted".

Pantin, during the interview yesterday, said that he was very surprised after he conducted his own investigation when the cyber attack was launched against him.

He called on Persad-Bissessar to take decisive action in the matter and immediately relieve Mohammed of her duties.

"I think the woman has lost all her credibility and I think she should be fired. The Prime Minister should fire her. What kind of credibility does she have now working for the Prime Minister?

"I mean that is the most unprincipled kind of behaviour to turn around and threaten journalists who incidentally were her former friends and she, herself, a journalist," Pantin said.

Pantin said the attack came at a time when his daughter had produced a documentary and he had written a book on the 1990 attempted coup.

He added after several exchanges with Thomas via Facebook posts, he decided to conduct his own investigation in an attempt to ascertain the true identity of the woman.

He said: "Out of the blue skies this woman starts to viciously attack me for promoting myself and all kinds of foolishness when I suddenly got this Facebook assault from this person called Janice Thomas, who started to accuse me of promoting my own interest, and not promoting my daughter, because I had been doing some promotional work on my book on the (1990) 'coup'.

"So I replied to this woman saying I don't know who you are I have never met you and I don't understand what you are talking about and I really wish you would stop because this is just malicious slander. She even at one point, invented a husband, to tell me that she and her husband didn't know my work and was not interested in me and one set of foolishness which I could not understand what it was all about. I did not understand what caused it," Pantin said.

He added after he stated his intentions, via Facebook, to reveal the true identity of Janice Thomas, the profile disappeared.

"As a matter of fact, (around that time) I posted on Facebook that the identity of Janice Thomas will soon be revealed, and thereafter, Janice Thomas disappeared from Facebook," Pantin said.

On Friday, Mohammed, in company with her attorney Om Lalla, went to the CID office around 2.30 p.m. where they met with ASP Ajith Persad and Cpl Rennie Grant.

Police said Mohammed, who remained silent throughout Friday's interview, was given a stern warning that the action was a serious criminal offence.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
i aint get why ppl harping on the janice thomas 'african' name...
ppl saying she shud have chosen a more fitting 'ali ass'...trinis good yuhkno

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »

Sandra Jagdeosingh might have worked both ways
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
Am I understanding this correctly
The woman send threatning emails from her Home computer, using a fake name completely unaware that an IP can be traced??!!

People really dat chupid in 2011?  wha kinda advice she could possible be givin to a prime minister if you as dumb as a rock.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
Am I understanding this correctly
The woman send threatning emails from her Home computer, using a fake name completely unaware that an IP can be traced??!!

People really dat chupid in 2011?  wha kinda advice she could possible be givin to a prime minister if you as dumb as a rock.
Sasha

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »
Jack: Govt to make statement on Sasha

Published: Mon, 2011-06-20 01:11
Richard Lord

Sasha Mohammed Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner says the Government is expected to make a statement on allegations of wrongdoing by Sasha Mohammed, adviser to the Prime Minister. Warner was commenting on police reports that threatening e-mails were sent from Mohammed’s home computer to Express Editor-in-Chief Omatie Lyder and reporter Anna Ramdass. The threats were reportedly made in response to news reports about the former employee of the Strategic Intelligence Agency (SIA) Reshmi Ramnarine. Warner said he was never one to jump to conclusion on any matter “and therefore I am sure in the fulness of time there shall be a statement.”

He said he did not have the facts and as a result could not comment on the matter. “We seem to have a rush to judgment that everybody must step down (in T&T),” Warner said. “Too many persons are falling victims to the media hype, to (Opposition Leader Keith) Rowley and his foolishness.”  Rowley had called publicly for the removal of Mohammed for her alleged actions. But Warner said the police did not say that the threatening messages were sent by Mohammed. He said if they were sent from her computer, it did not necessarily mean it was sent by her.

He said only after all the evidence was presented could the issue of stepping down be considered.
Pressed for further comment, Warner said: “The Prime Minister will know what she has to do or not do...I am not going to make judgment.” Warner spent Father’s Day yesterday helping with the cooking at a lime at Caura River. He also danced to tassa drumming with constituents at the event which was organised by his Chaguanas West constituency.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 02:48:16 PM »

Sandra Jagdeosingh might have worked both ways

Why bring in Kendal sister in this commesse!!!!????

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:58 PM »
Is Janice Thomas a african name i dont think so  ::)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
Is Janice Thomas a african name i dont think so  ::)

Is it Indian?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
No it is not an indian name

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
I love it when they stick their necks out for each other. If these "ministers" spent more effort on their jobs than little issues like this, imagine how much they could achieve. This man for real??? :-\ :-\

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Fuad_begs_citizens__Leave_Sasha_alone-124327898.html

Fuad begs citizens: Leave Sasha alone
By Keino Swamber South Bureau
Story Created: Jun 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM ECT
 Story Updated: Jun 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM ECT
VICE chairman of the United National Congress (UNC) Dr Fuad Khan is asking citizens to leave Sasha Mohammed alone.
Mohammed is special adviser to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
The San Juan/Barataria Member of Parliament who is also the Deputy Speaker in the House of Representatives, issued the call in a blog posting on the Yahoo Group "The United Voice".
Khan confirmed to the Express yesterday that he was the author of the blog posting which had as its subject: "Leave Sasha Alone!!!!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 04:18:29 AM »
Sasha denies sending threatening e-mails
By Akile Simon

(Story Updated: Jun 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM ECT )

SASHA MOHAMMED, adviser to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, has for the first time denied that she sent threatening e-mails to Express editor-in-chief Omatie Lyder and reporter Anna Ramdass.

Mohammed, through her attorneys Jagdeo Singh, Ravi Rajcoomar and Kelvin Ramkissoon, sent a three-page letter to Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs yesterday, asking what offence she committed.

The letter has come on the heels of mounting calls for Persad-Bissessar to dismiss Mohammed and the police to lay criminal charges against Mohammed after their investigations revealed that the threatening e-mails came from Mohammed's computer at her home.

Persad-Bissessar remained mum on the issue for the fifth day yesterday.

Last Friday, ASP Ajith Persad and Cpl Rennie Grant of the Port of Spain CID interviewed Mohammed in the presence of her former attorney, Om Lalla, regarding the e-mails which were sent to Lyder and Ramdass in January.

Officers told Mohammed that their investigation showed that the e-mails came from her computer at her San Juan home after Internet provider Flow confirmed that the IP address from which the e-mails were sent was assigned to Mohammed.

After Lyder and Ramdass reported the incident to police on January 31, Persad and Grant asked officers from the Police Cyber Unit to assist in tracing the IP address of the sender of the e-mail.

Officers at the unit were able to determine the e-mails were sent from an IP address in the name of Mohammed at her San Juan home and a court order was obtained which directed Internet provider Flow to release the relevant information to police.

The information provided by Flow revealed that the e-mail originated from Mohammed's computer and Internet account.

Mohammed's attorneys, in their letter to Gibbs, stated as far as they are aware, there is no offence within the law books of the country which their client is accused of committing.

They said, "We make this enquiry since in our respectful view, having examined and considered the factual matrix of the case, there appears to be no known breach of the criminal law for which our client can be the subject of investigation, let alone be deemed culpable so as to justify an admonition on the part of your officers.

"The much touted 'cyber bullying' concept is not a criminal offence in Trinidad and Tobago, and is as such an alien concept which forms no part of the laws and jurisprudence of this country. Any conduct suggestive thereof cannot therefore constitute a basis for a police investigation or offence.

The attorneys said while Mohammed was being interviewed, no particular offence was identified to her by the police.

Mohammed's attorneys stated: "Our client has further instructed that upon advice and instructions from her former counsel, and acting upon such advice, she remained silent and but clearly denied any wrongdoing on her part or any knowledge of wrongdoing and denied anything that was put to her by the police officers undertaking the interview.

"Further, we are instructed that despite the admonition issued by the police to her, curiously, no specific offence was identified to our client as being the subject of investigations by the police. Our client was however, then given an assurance by the police that the issuing of this warning would have brought conclusion to the matter.

The letter added, "The position of our client however, has been, and continues to be, that she denies knowledge about the issuing of the said purported e-mails to the concerned parties and in this regard, cannot be held culpable.

"In the circumstances where the said police officers met with our client and issued a warning to her, there would have had to be a basis in law for them to do so. We therefore now seek clarification from you as to what is the specific offence which our client is alleged to have committed and the necessary particulars thereof."

The lawyers stated in their letter to Gibbs: "It would have been wholly wrong for the police to have come to a conclusion of the commission of no criminal offence, yet proceed to issue a warning to our client. In these circumstances, our client has been advised that the action of the police in pursuing such a course of conduct was illegal and a flagrant violation of the rules of procedural fairness to which our client is justly entitled."

Gibbs was given three days to respond.

Mohammed, a former journalist, joined the People's Partnership Government as engagement adviser to Persad-Bissessar, six months after the May 24 general election last year.

Police had initiated an investigation after Lyder and Ramdass reported they were threatened in an e-mail in January sent to them by someone adopting the alias "Janice Thomas" in connection with the Reshmi Usha Ramnarine story being investigated by the Express.

The threatening e-mail, which targeted Lyder and Ramdass, was addressed to editors and reporters of the Express and staff of CCN-TV6 as well as other media houses, accused Lyder and Ramdass of a personal vendetta against Ramnarine.

The e-mail stated that "their day in the sun is over" and "this is the beginning ... they will understand the consequences of their actions..."

The Express first broke the story of the questionable appointment of Ramnarine to the post of director of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA) and had at the time been investigating how she came to be hired as director of the SSA with false credentials.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 04:42:31 AM »
I love it when they stick their necks out for each other. If these "ministers" spent more effort on their jobs than little issues like this, imagine how much they could achieve. This man for real??? :-\ :-\

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Fuad_begs_citizens__Leave_Sasha_alone-124327898.html

Fuad begs citizens: Leave Sasha alone
By Keino Swamber South Bureau
 Story Updated: Jun 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM ECT
VICE chairman of the United National Congress (UNC) Dr Fuad Khan is asking citizens to leave Sasha Mohammed alone.
Mohammed is special adviser to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
The San Juan/Barataria Member of Parliament who is also the Deputy Speaker in the House of Representatives, issued the call in a blog posting on the Yahoo Group "The United Voice".
Khan confirmed to the Express yesterday that he was the author of the blog posting which had as its subject: "Leave Sasha Alone!!!!"

"Sasha tried something that did not go well. It is not a reason for her to go anywhere"

if this not laughable i aint know what is

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 05:35:32 AM »

No boss.  Right after the elections last year, a lot of fake profiles with names that sounded either of African or East Indian descent was set up and the nastiness was flying left, right and centre.....

Yes in T&T you can't take a name at face value as the person being one race or another but these nasty, stinking people ON BOTH SIDES, used it anyway.....

That is what Ms. Mohammed was trying to do......silly girl....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »

No boss.  Right after the elections last year, a lot of fake profiles with names that sounded either of African or East Indian descent was set up and the nastiness was flying left, right and centre.....

Yes in T&T you can't take a name at face value as the person being one race or another but these nasty, stinking people ON BOTH SIDES, used it anyway.....

That is what Ms. Mohammed was trying to do......silly girl....

Exactly in TNT Janice Thomas when u c her she can me a chinee but when u hear d name u tink african.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
Since when you need a legal team to deny doing something wrong.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »

Since May 25th 2010.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »

Since May 25th 2010.

:rotfl:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
Jah Gol, yuh signature is very creepy......*chills run down my spine*
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:35 AM »
Jah Gol, yuh signature is very creepy......*chills run down my spine*

:devil:

Brownsugar & weary in top form today!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »
Just a slightly different view of this situation:

http://pedrotercero.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/blogging-via-blackberry-a-game-of-cyber-chess-not-checkers/

That person talking shit... plain and simple.  IP addresses aren't traced to residences but to individual computers... a high school student with passing knowledge of computers could tell you that.  So there's no need for the "allegedly" traced the email to her computer, they DID trace the email to her computer.  The writer also displays an ignorance for how the laws operate... police may not be able to prove with absolute certainty that she was the one who sent the email from HER computer... but a person is presumed to be master over their property.  Since the computer in question is hers there is a rebuttable presumption that she was the one who sent it.  It is her burden to prove that she did not send the offending email.  Same if a criminal offense is conducted with my car, the presumption is that I, or someone with permission to use it is the driver.  It's interesting still to read all the uninformed opinions floating about the place though.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »
McLeod joins calls for Sasha's removal: PM remains mum
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/McLeod_joins_calls_for_Sasha_s_removal__PM_remains_mum-124397808.html

By Aabida Allaham aabida.allaham@trinidadexpress.com 
June 22, 2011
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar maintained her silence on allegations involving her special adviser, Sasha Mohammed, for a sixth consecutive day yesterday.

Questioned on the issue outside the St Clair Medical Centre where her husband underwent triple by-pass heart surgery, the Prime Minister smiled and walked away.

But one of the coalition partners forming the Government, the Movement of Social Justice, headed by Labour Minister Errol McLeod, yesterday commented on the issue, calling on the Prime Minister to remove Mohammed in light of the allegations.

Police investigations found hate mails which were sent to Express editor-in-chief Omatie Lyder and reporter Anna Ramdass came from Mohammed's personal computer at her San Juan home.

The hate mails were sent during the Express expose of the Reshmi Ramnarine fiasco where it was reported an unqualified Ramnarine, a close friend of Mohammed, was elevated to the post of head of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA).

Mohammed, through her lawyers, denied she sent the hate mails but despite her denial, members of the Government have called for her removal, saying press freedom must be protected.

In its statement, "The Movement for Social Justice is calling on the honourable Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to take immediate steps to remove special adviser to the Prime Minister Sasha Mohammed as a result of her unacceptable conduct uncovered by the police investigation into e-mails threatening journalists in Trinidad and Tobago."

"The MSJ is of the belief that there is no place for this type of unethical behaviour in the politics of Trinidad and Tobago, and that this matter should be dealt with the urgency it deserves.

"We believe that solid investigative journalism that seeks transparency in the public affairs is a great feature of our democracy, particularly, in its efforts to keep our leaders honest and promote the highest standards of governance and despise and disapprove of all attempts at intimidation to silence the voice of the media," the MSJ stated.

Members of the Congress of the People (COP) have also expressed their views that Mohammed should step down as the Prime Minister's adviser.

Speaking at the COP leadership election debate at City Hall, Port of Spain, on Tuesday, Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar said a person must step aside once there are serious allegations against them.

"Once there is a serious allegation made against any public official, they should stand aside."

He reiterated his comments yesterday while speaking to members of the media, following his visit to the St Clair hospital to lend support to the Prime Minster, saying it was not different from the call he made when allegations of bribery were made against Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner in his capacity as FIFA vice-president.

"There is no difference; there is a standard we have to set whenever there are serious allegations being made; the query is who determines what is serious, but its not for me to make that call. The COP stands by the position that when you hold public office, you must uphold the standards that we expect," he said.

Sport Minister Anil Roberts, who is also a candidate in the COP elections, had told the Express that such serious allegations call for Mohammed's resignation.

Other coalition partners, the Tobago Organisation of the People (TOP) and the National Joint Action Committee (NJAC), are yet to state their position on the issue.
I remember Manning had a sore throat for about 2 weeks when they had questions for him.

truetrini

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »

http://pedrotercero.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/blogging-via-blackberry-a-game-of-cyber-chess-not-checkers/

That person talking shit... plain and simple.  IP addresses aren't traced to residences but to individual computers... a high school student with passing knowledge of computers could tell you that.  So there's no need for the "allegedly" traced the email to her computer, they DID trace the email to her computer.  The writer also displays an ignorance for how the laws operate... police may not be able to prove with absolute certainty that she was the one who sent the email from HER computer... but a person is presumed to be master over their property.  Since the computer in question is hers there is a rebuttable presumption that she was the one who sent it.  It is her burden to prove that she did not send the offending email.  Same if a criminal offense is conducted with my car, the presumption is that I, or someone with permission to use it is the driver.  It's interesting still to read all the uninformed opinions floating about the place though.

So Bakes....under law it is a fact that presumption of innocence mandates a defendant to prove innocence or is the only requirement on the prosecution to prove guilt?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
So Bakes....under law it is a fact that presumption of innocence mandates a defendant to prove innocence or is the only requirement on the prosecution to prove guilt?

Prosecution always has the burden of proving guilt... speaking here of Western common law countries, who know what they do in totalitarian and autocratic regimes.  A finding of guilt is for the trier of fact (be it judge or jury) to determine, but in a situation like this if the prosecution places you at the scene of the crime it's up to you to offer an alibi witness.  It is clear that either she or someone in her home, with access to her computer is guilty of the act.  And forget all this "cyberbullying" talk... that's nonsense, as her attorneys correctly point out that's not a law, let alone a crime.  What she would be guilty of here is harassment.  She either has to own up to the charge or say who else had access on that day.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »

Daiz what I was thinking in all this. She have to prove that someone else use she PC or else she responsible. You cyah just say is not me when they have evidence that it come from you. I want to see where this goes.

The PM say anything yet?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »

Daiz what I was thinking in all this. She have to prove that someone else use she PC or else she responsible. You cyah just say is not me when they have evidence that it come from you. I want to see where this goes.

The PM say anything yet?
Yeah , go and get your heart screened, eat properly and exercise.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »
:rotfl:  :rotfl: Jah u go kill meh

1]; } ?>