March 29, 2024, 08:41:49 AM

Author Topic: Cops News Thread.  (Read 74933 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
police willing to reveal voice recording of the calls that came in to the command centre about the boys shooting spree and victim who was the target willing to come forward

i dont see the need to highlight his sporting endeavours...they cud run cool

Even if that was true for argument sake? The boys had no weapons when they surrendered to the police so why were they killed in cold blooded murder if the police had all that evidence?
It does not add up and sounds like a fabricated story to me.

The corrupt police can also easily pay or bribe someone to say the murdered youths shot at them but I would like to see the ballistic and forensic evidence to confirm what the police said, no unprofessional fabricated nonsense.

One of the boys who was an athlete had a bright future ahead of him and even had ambitions of becoming a police officer. How sad and ironic! Hakeem even won the Morvant Police Youth Club 10k event last year so you can see where his ambitions on becoming a police officer in addition to being a future Olympic medallist for T&T would have sprung from.

I think the people of Morvant, Laventille and these other areas where Black youths are being indiscriminately murdered now almost on a daily basis should launch a protest march against these murders. They need to join hands and march down from the hills in their thousands down to the Hall of Justice in Port-of-Spain and bring Port-of-Spain to a standstill if necessary.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:08:19 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And what about the youths who distressing and terrorising their own community, Socapro?
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And what about the youths who distressing and terrorising their own community, Socapro?
Yes what about them?
Does that mean that every Black youth in certain communities should be indiscriminately treated like a criminal and murdered in cold blood at the first opportunity by the police because their mindset is that they are waging war?

Nothing in this life you can say can justify the cold blooded police murder of promising T&T athlete Hakeem Alexander and his cousin so I advice you to stop with your justification for the murder unless you are trying to prove that you have the mindset of an uncivilized savage.

Hakeem Alexander even had ambitions of becoming a police officer and was murdered by the very people he looked up to. How sad and ironic is that?!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:19:55 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
lol Ok, Socapro
www.westindiantube.com

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Crazy? Unless I get the real story I ain't passing judgement
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Police does know who dey killing.

Nah Toppa... I can't agree with that.  If they guilty then put them on trial and show yuh evidence, no civilized society should be tolerating summary executions as reportedly was done here.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Nah Toppa... I can't agree with that.  If they guilty then put them on trial and show yuh evidence, no civilized society should be tolerating summary executions as reportedly was done here.

I know, and I agree. But these bad-boys should understand that Trinidad police will kill them no questions asked. A 15 and 16 year old supposed to be beating dey books, not involved in crime (as reported). But I think residents should pull out their smart phone (everybody have one) and record if the police really getting on like that. Let them be brought to justice - although I can sympathise with the police going into those areas and putting their lives on the line.

The mother's account is heart-breaking, but parents does know they children involved in crime and tacitly (or overtly) condone it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:07:17 PM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile

Damned right , only uncivilized countries  summarily execute black youths . Uncivilized countries like America

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
No a
Accountability - everyone do as you please.How come no one calling on minister of national security or all them "acting " cop. They eh really know what to do they still acting.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Boys Not on Knees

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-06-11/boys-not-knees

This story getting more confusing yes.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The truth is...

Lets not pretend we can claim this - we have conflicting reports from both sides that both have a vested interest in spinning the story to their end.
Please I don't want to engage you in petty arguments right now! An innocent ambitious young athlete and his cousin have just been murdered in cold blood and we are now on 26 police murders for the years so far most of which have been perpetrated on young Black men.

Trinidad is in some serious trouble right now especially if we going to condone two innocent unarmed Black youths being murdered by police in front of witnesses who all confirmed what they saw.

It's not petty - I'm taking it seriously, but you appear to be focusing on their athletic ability as some sort of saving grace - it's incidental to the facts that we can't know due to the conflicting reports :( You keep claiming these things as facts - why?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Teen cousins shot dead by police
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2014, 05:02:56 PM »
Teen cousins shot dead by police
By JULIEN NEAVES Tuesday, June 10 2014 (T&T Newsday)

TWO teenaged cousins one of whom was a national track athlete and the other described as an IT “genius”, were shot dead yesterday by police in Morvant, bringing to 26 the number of persons shot dead by police this year.

Dead are Tevin Alexander, 15, and cousin Hakeem Alexander,16, the latter winning bronze for this country in the Boys’ Under 17 3,000 metre race last year at the Carifta Games in Bahamas.

Police Service spokesman Insp Wayne Mystar told Newsday that at about 4.15 pm, officers from the Inter Agency Task Force and North Eastern Division responded to reports of gunshots in the Chinapoo area of Morvant.

He said that on arrival officers were met with gunfire forcing them to take cover and return gunfire which led to the Alexander cousins being shot. The teens were taken to Port-of-Spain General Hospital where they were pronounced dead on arrival. Mystar said three suspects were arrested and two firearms recovered.

But relatives of the shot teens painted a different picture of events. They said the cousins were confronted by a gunman who had been “terrorising” the area since Christmas and who had tried to convert the cousins to Islam. Relatives said the teens were running from the gunman toward their grandmother’s home at Lezama Trace when they ran into the police officers at Superville Hill.

Tevin’s mother Lisa De Leon-Alexander claimed she witnessed the shooting. “The boys on running into the police, dropped to their knees, put their hands in the air and said, ‘we not in nothing’. They literally begged for their lives...but the police still killed them. They did not search them they just shot them,” she cried.

She further claimed that when relatives and others begged for the boys’ lives, the officers turned their guns on them. “How could you trust these same people after they turn around and violate your trust,” De Leon-Alexander asked.

De Leon-Alexander said she would like justice to be done but has no faith this would happen.

“I don’t want to hear sorry from this gracious Government and the Commissioner (of police) because that’s not going to bring my son back,” she said.

Tevin was a Form Four student of Belmont Boys Secondary and dreamed of becoming an IT technician. De Leon-Alexander recalled he stayed home from school yesterday because she did not have money to send him. Hakeem was on a court-ordered bond for fighting but Tevin had no run-ins with the law.

Hakeem was a student at Success Laventille Secondary but dropped out of school at Form Three due to frustration over the lack of opportunities at that school for track and field events.

He worked with his father at Peake’s Marine in Chaguaramas.

Hakeem’s father Henry Alexander said his son had been running since he was seven and showed off his son’s many trophies and medals. Hakeem attended the Carifta Games in Martinique this year but did not compete. Alexander said when he heard the news he was at work in Chaguaramas and could barely concentrate to drive home.

“I had my son this morning and I come home today to hear that police shoot him in he head,” Alexander said. Yesterday’s killing came days before Police Complaints Authority Director Gillian Lucky is to meet with Ag Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams tomorrow over the number of police killings.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:15:41 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coach: Hakeem could have won gold
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »
Hakeem could have won gold
Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2014
By Andrew Gioannetti (T&T Guardian)

Had Hakeem Alexander’s life not come to an end at 16 years, the 2013 Carifta bronze medalist would have brought further glory to this country while in his prime. So said Gunness Persad, coach at Simplex Athletic Club, which Alexander represented.

Alexander, was one of two teenagers who were shot and killed by police at Superville Hill, Laventille, close to his home, on Monday. The other boy killed was his 15-year-old cousin Tevin Alexander.

Their deaths was followed by conflicting reports of the incident from police and neighbours. Police have claimed they were shot at by the teenagers, while an eyewitness said they were shot while surrendering in a kneeling position with their arms raised.

During his short career, Alexander, a former student at Success Laventille Secondary, racked up a host of accolades including a bronze medal in the Under-17 3000m event at last year’s Carifta Games in the Bahamas, clocking 9:49.59. He also broke the national primary schools’ 3k record.

Alexander, however, did not compete for the year, according to Persad, who said he entered him in a number of meets including the 2014 Carifta trials.

He might have won gold (at this year’s Carifta Championship), but he did not compete this year in any of the events I signed him up in.

He was serious (about athletics). I don’t know what went wrong,” Persad said.

Persad noted that Alexander was one of six young athletes from Laventille who were recruited by Simplex last year, following the advice of a teacher of a primary school in Laventille.

“He definitely had the talent. Many people liked him because of his potential. He was cool, calm and quiet. He seemed to respect me. When he was with me, he listened, just like the boys he was with. They were all cool,” said Persad.

He added, “Yes (I was shocked to hear the news). My main purpose was to help (the boys), show them out of poverty, show them that there are other avenues to succeed in life, such as athletics.”

Alexander rarely trained with the club as it is based at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, and focuses its training routines primarily on sprints.

The club current trains 45-50 runners, notably including Keston Bledman, Machel Cedenio and Kamaria Durant, all of whom Alexander could have joined in glory had he remained alive.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:19:43 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Students in tears
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
Students in tears
By RYAN HAMILTON-DAVIS Wednesday, June 11 2014 (T&T Newsday)

WHILE relatives of cousins Tevin and Hakeem Alexander were yesterday making funeral arrangements for the teens who were shot and killed on Monday by police, news of one of the boy’s killing had Form Four students of Belmont Secondary School in tears.

“At first I was in shock, then I just started to cry,” said a student during an interview outside the school yesterday. The students spoke in glowing terms of 16-year-old Tevin Alexander who attended the school.

“In school Tevin was a good person. He was respectful and never really fought with anyone else. He used to do his work. He was real bright and loved litereature. He was good in Electronic Data Processing. He was also a talented midfielder on the football field. This boy didn’t deserve to die like that. He and his cousin deserve justice,” cried another student.

Other students who were wiping away tears, said that Tevin was held up as a role model and a person who should be emulated because of his ability to balance studies with sports. Students stood in small groups yesterday, discussing the boys’ deaths.

Meanwhile, autopsy reports confirmed the two boys died from multiple gunshot wounds. According to Lisa De Leon-Alexander, her son Tevin had been riddled with bullets with the pathologist unable to determine exactly how much times he had been shot.

“If you could have only seen them. Those two boys were covered in bullet holes! This is beyond heinous! My child promised me he would get an engineering degree. He said if he doesn’t make it, he wants to go hotel school, because he loved to cook. How could you rob him of that chance just because he was running from someone else who did not want to do good.

“I don’t expect to get justice, I don’t expect to get understanding or compassion because we as Trinidadians are operating without compassion for human life. But Jesus will give me my justice,” De Leon-Alexander cried.

Police reported that at about 4.15 pm on Monday, police were responding to reports of shots fired in the Chinapoo area and when they responded, were greeted by gunfire. Police took cover and returned fire, which led to the two boys being shot.

However eyewitness reports say the two boys were fleeing from the area where gunshots were heard when they encountered police officers at Superville Hill. Witnesses said on seeing the police, Tevin and Hakeem fell to their knees in surrender and were shot.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:36:23 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Autopsies of teenage cousins disprove eyewitness accounts of police killings
Cops upset at media reports on killings

Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2014
Kalifa Clyne and Jensen La Vende (T&T Guardian)

The autopsies of teenage cousins—Hakeem, 16, and Tevin Alexander, 15—disprove some eyewitness accounts that the boys were kneeling when they were shot by police. According to the autopsies, which were conducted by Hughvon des Vignes at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, yesterday, the boys were shot several times about the body. Some of the bullets exited and ricocheted from nearby objects and re-entered the teens’ body.

The autopsy showed both boys were shot from in front, with one receiving a gunshot injury to the back. The report said bullets also pierced the upper thigh of one boy and went through the knee, in an upwards direction, in the other boy. The pathologist also found that in one case the bullet jacket peeled off and was lodged in the chest of one victim, while the slug entered the chest area, which showed that the bullets were not fired from close range.

During the autopsy, police took a man who identified the two dead boys as his attackers, who had pointed a gun at him and shot at him. The cousins, who were the 25th and 26th victims of police killings so far this year, were also shot while facing their shooters and Tevin was shot more than his elder cousin, the autopsies concluded.

Speaking to the media at the FSC yesterday, Lisa De Leon-Alexander, Tevin’s mother, said the cousins were shot in the head, chest, legs and arms. Hakeem’s mother Suzette Alexander also viewed the autopsies with De Leon-Alexander. De Leon-Alexander described the sight of her son and nephew as “heinous.”
According to eyewitness reports at the scene at Superville Hill, Morvant, on Monday, police ordered the boys to go on their knees and put their hands up before shooting them.

Another witness who spoke to the T&T Guardian during a telephone interview yesterday, said she witnessed the boys’ killing and denied that they had fired at the lawmen. According to police, the teenagers were killed after they shot at policemen when they responded to report of shooting in the community. Police said around 4.15 pm police of the Inter Agency Task Force (IATF) and the North Eastern Division Task Force responded to reports of gunshots at Wallace Road, Chinapoo, Morvant.

When they arrived they were reportedly shot at and returned fire, fatally hitting the cousins, who were pronounced dead on arrival at the Eric Williams Medical Science Complex, Mt Hope. In yet another twist yesterday, a resident of the area said the teens were being pursued as possible recruits by gang leaders in Chinapoo, Morvant.  “There are two fellas who come into the community to torment the youth men and try to get them to become Muslim and join the gangs,” the resident said, naming the two men involved in that process.

He added: “These men come around when the youths are liming, playing cards or football. They put on masks and pull out their guns and people are afraid.
“Up to last Saturday a group of people were gambling by the road and he (name called) ran up on them and pulled out the gun.
"These youth men weren’t on gun and thing. They would smoke weed, gamble and lime but they were not any bad boys.”

The resident disagreed with reports that the boys were involved in criminal activity, particularly Hakeem, who was a long-distance runner who won a Carifta bronze medal for T&T last year.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dottin: Gangs putting teens on battlefront
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
Dottin: Gangs putting teens on battlefront
Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

Seventh Day Adventist pastor Clive Dottin, who does outreach work in communities such as Laventille and Morvant, said yesterday it was known those areas were recruiting grounds for gang leaders. “The country must face the fact that adult gang leaders are recruiting teenagers and putting them on the battlefront,” Dottin told the T&T Guardian in a telephone interview. “They are doing a phenomenal job recruiting teens. It should be of great concern to all of us in society,” he added.

Dottin said the issue spoke to a collapse of parenting and family in society, adding unless these issues are fixed the fight against crime will not be won. Meanwhile, Inspector Roger Alexander, head of the North Eastern Division task Force (NEDTF) and vice-president of the Police Social and Welfare Association, said he was disturbed by media reports his men had murdered the cousins.

Speaking on Beyond the Tape programme, he said when the media visited the area on Monday they spoke to the relatives of the cousins but failed to speak with the victims he claimed the cousins had earlier terrorised. Asked about the accusations the officers were excessive, Alexander said: “How can a team be acting in an excessive way when all they doing is protecting their lives, the lives of the public and their colleagues.

“The public must understand if we worked in places like Westmoorings we would never have any confrontation. ”We work in a place known to be a hotspot, where people are aggressive towards the police and are encouraged to be aggressive towards the police, yet you want us to be like, ‘good morning do you have a gun in the bush? Would you stop shooting at us please.’”

Alexander said psycho-social messages being relayed to the police was that they should hesitate in those situations but he said that could cost them their lives. In a telephone interview with the T&T Guardian yesterday, acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams said he would not be commenting on the issue of police killings, since he has a meeting today with head of the Police Complains Authority (PCA) Gillian Lucky.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:21:32 PM by Socapro »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
I wonder if any gun powder residue was found on the cousins hands.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gillian, Williams to discuss killings
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2014, 07:14:50 PM »
Gillian, Williams to discuss killings
By Alexander Bruzual alexander.bruzual@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jun 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM ECT (T&T Express)

The killing of Hakeem Alexander, 16, and his cousin Tevin Alexander, 15, by police officers on Monday afternoon has fortified concerns of the Director of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) Gillian Lucky, as she prepares to meet with acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams today.

The deaths of the two cousins came less than 24 hours after Lucky had commented on the number of police killings, in which she indicated it was her concern surrounding the then figure of 24 deaths, which led her to seek a meeting with Williams.

Speaking to the Express yesterday, Lucky said the meeting was scheduled to take place this morning at the Police Administration Building in Port of Spain following which she will host a news briefing in the afternoon.

She said: “I have previously indicated my concerns on the number of civilians who have been killed by police for the year thus far. At that time (Sunday) the number was 24, and what has occurred on Monday afternoon has fortified my position.

“It further emphasises the need for the meeting with the Commissioner of Police and the need for all these now 26 matters to be properly and thoroughly investigated so that a determination can be made.

“Now let me be clear. Policemen and women are citizens of this country and as such, they too are entitled to the presumption of innocence, the presumption that there was no wrongdoing in their actions.

“The PCA is in no way against the police performing their duties in a lawful manner, but rather, we are simply the voice for transparency.

“We call for thorough investigations with the view of exonerating those officers in matters who have done nothing wrong, or for determining if officers did in fact use excessive action,” Lucky explained.

She noted that the public, at the end of the day, simply wanted to know the truth in these incidents and therefore the investigations were very important as it afforded the officers involved an opportunity to distance themselves from any allegations and have their names cleared against any claims of impropriety.

Lucky also noted that up to yesterday evening, she had not received an official report on the killing of the two cousins.

However, she noted the PCA had taken note of the reports in the various media houses and had determined that the matter fell within the remits of the PCA and as such the “evidence-gathering process” had already been initiated.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Insp: Victim said teens were chasing him
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »
Insp: Victim said teens were chasing him
Story Created: Jun 10, 2014 at 10:35 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Inspector Roger Alexander of the North Eastern Division Task Force is standing firmly behind the officers in his division who were involved in the killing of Hakeem Alexander, 16, and Tevin Alexander, 15, on Monday afternoon.

Speaking to the Express yesterday, Alexander, who is also vice-president of the Police Social and Welfare Association, said he was shocked when he awoke yesterday morning to see various media houses had focused their reports on what was said by the relatives of the slain teenagers without a “proper balance” on the report of the incident from the police.

“It was amazing to wake up this morning to see so many media reports brandishing the officers involved in this incident as murderers, when the information we have on this incident paints a completely different picture.

“It causes one to appreciate the digital age we live in because the initial information and communication we have on this report came from the police command centre, so there will be recor­dings and transcripts of what the officers were getting themselves into.

“We were told that several armed men were shooting at persons in the Morvant area and that several persons armed with guns were entering homes in the area. That information leads to a crucial report that all media houses seemed to have missed, that these men were chasing after a victim and that they had even cornered the victim in a house and was shooting at him when the police arrived.

“The officers, on assessing that the report they received was true, confronted these men as they exited a house. Both men brandished what appeared to be firearms during that confrontation and the officers responded to that threat. It is unfortunate that life was lost, but at the same time, the officers were simply defending themselves,” Alexand­er said.

He then explained that after the teenagers were shot, the victim even exited the house and identified himself before identifying the two teenagers as the people who were chasing him.

“The focus in the media seemed to have been the side of the relatives of the deceased. That’s understandable to a point. Because when you cross that point, it comes across as biased.”

—Alexander Bruzual

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Friends don’t believe cops
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
Friends don’t believe cops
Story Created: Jun 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Despite the police claim that 15-year-old Tevin Alexander was brandishing a firearm when he was shot and killed by police on Monday afternoon, pupils of Belmont Secondary School yesterday said they could not bring themselves to believe such allegations against their friend.

“Those reports are just not true. They real bogus. If you know Tevin, then you know this boy used to be afraid of trouble of any kind. He never even get into a fight in this school because he just wasn’t that type of person.

“He never disrespect his teachers. He never did anything like that at all. So hearing on the news last night that the police saying he had a gun on him and that’s why they kill him, that just not true. We don’t believe that at all.

“The boy who afraid of any sort of ranking thing holding a gun? Not at all,” a pupil at the school said yesterday afternoon.
At the time, the Express had visited the school to talk to the pupils on the death of their classmate.

One of the pupils said Tevin was assigned to the “Four O” classroom and he was a “bright boy” who always did his schoolwork.

“The man only had love for music and football. He was a level mid-fielder. That was his favourite position to play. And he was real bright in class.

“He was always either studying, or sleeping, to be honest, and that was only because he was up studying the night before. He never used to give any trouble at all. He was just a bright boy,” another pupil said.

The pupils said they were all saddened by Tevin­’s death and they would miss him greatly.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Relatives of teens killed by police demand answers on claim boys were armed
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »
WHERE ARE THE GUNS?
Relatives of teens killed by police demand answers on claim boys were armed

Story Created: Jun 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Relatives of Carifta medallist Hakeem Alexander, 16, and his 15-year-old cousin, Tevin Alexander, who were both killed on Monday by police, are maintaining the two teenagers were innocently killed by the same police officers to whom they were attempting to surrender themselves on their knees.

“That what I saw here today in that autopsy room. Those two young boys lying on that table with gunshot wounds to their faces, their heads, and shoulders. That was not even a brutal police killing. It was heinous. Those two defenceless boys were heinously killed by the same officers they were running towards, trying to seek help from.

“The way those two boys are riddled up with bullets, I can’t even put in words the emotions that I am feeling right now, especially since I know that it was policemen, men who are sworn to protect the citizens in this country, who did that,” Tevin’s mother, Lisa De Leon-Alexander, said yesterday morning at the Forensic Science Centre in St James.

Leon-Alexander continued to maintain that contrary to the police report that the teenagers were shot at by the officers because they had firearms in their hands, the young men were actually kneeling on the ground, with both hands in the air, pleading with the lawmen for their lives.

“Whatever dreams or aspirations they had died when they died yesterday at the hands of the people who swore to protect and serve them.

The people who they ran to for protection are the same people who kill them. They were running to go home to my mother because someone with a gun was chasing after them. They were the victims in this. They see police and they throw themselves to the ground on their knees, hoping the officers would protect them. Instead they get killed for their efforts.

“And then the police want to claim that these two boys, with their hands in the air, were holding firearms? And that they had to kill them because they were protecting themselves? That’s just not true. How does one protect themselves against two unarmed teens? They also say they got guns on them? When they had nothing on the scene, and even when we reached hospital they still had nothing on them? I want to see where these guns were. Because I can’t see how that story adds up. Our relatives and neighbours saw these boys on their knees, with hands in the air, begging, you hear me, begging for their lives, yet the police are claiming that somehow, throughout all this, these boys were shooting at them and had guns in their hands? That just doesn’t add up to me,” Leon-Alexander said.

Hakeem’s mother, Suzette Alexander, repeatedly called for an investigation into the deaths, although she said she did not believe there would be a fruitful outcome. “All I hearing on the media last night was people saying the senior police gonna do an investigation. That’s not going to bring back our children, you know.

“We want to know what happened at the end of the day. But we don’t have faith that it would be a fruitful investigation. And you would think that now children are among the statistics for police killings it would bring some sort of pause and reviewing of police actions, but I really don’t see that happening either.

“The law, it seems, rarely prosecutes police officers in this country. So it comes across as our children’s lives had no value,” an emotional Suzette Alexander said.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

from d yutes fb page

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cops not taking PCA seriously: Lucky angry at lack of help on killings...
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2014, 01:24:50 AM »
There seems to be a breakdown of law and order in the TTPS with regards to following basic procedures where police shootings are concerned. I wonder why?! Have a read....

Cops not taking PCA seriously
Lucky angry at lack of help on killings...

Published: Thursday, June 12, 2014
Geisha Kowlessar (T&T Guardian)

Police Complaints Authority director Gillian Lucky is upset over the refusal of police to comply with PCA directives to help in unravelling suspected cases of fatal police shootings, saying this has led to a breakdown in law and order within the rank and file of the Police Service. She made the statement during a press briefing yesterday at the Waterfront Complex, Port-of-Spain, as she noted there had been a 100 per cent increase in police killings from the year 2011 to 2014. “Clearly, there is flagrant violation by certain police officers to ensure compliance with timelines and to ensure thoroughness and fairness in investigations,” Lucky said.

She also expressed concern that the detection rate for murders was nine per cent, saying this was the situation some ten years ago. There have been 26 police killings for the year but the PCA is only monitoring 19 as those fell under the remit of the organisation, she said. Of the 19 killings, eight were in the North Eastern Division and six in Central Division. She said co-operation from the police was critical to the PCA’s ability to function properly. She added: “It is only in finding truth that we can ensure justice. Within recent times there have been several entities and individuals who suggest that police officers who shoot civilians are doing no wrong.

“But before reaching such an investigation there must be an independent and thorough investigation. The PCA does not prejudge any issue. “It insists on timely, thorough and transparent investigations by the Police Service. Unfortunately these have not been met by the Police Service in several instances.” Lucky said there was too big a delay between the time of the shootings and when the PCA was informed, adding there was also a “great timeline” before critical investigations could be completed. She said Williams also announced that body cameras for police would be introduced in September.

Issues raised with Williams
Among the issues Lucky discussed with acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams was whether a body had been formed to deal with fatal shootings of civilians and police.
Lucky said Williams said while there were initiatives to have such a body formally implemented, the move must be approved by National Security Minister Gary Griffith, who has to take the matter to Cabinet. She said in the interim there was the Professional Standards Bureau of the Police Service, headed by ACP Peter Reyes. On providing the PCA with greater details, Lucky said the PCA was given the assurance that would be done. Regarding legal advice, Lucky said the PCA had hired a lawyer who would be dealing with all the information and intelligence with respect to police killings. She said the PCA also recommended that the body be informed when a police killing occurred so it could also visit the scene in a timely manner.

Glaring examples of disrespect
In making reference to several matters, some dating back to before the PCA was established in December 2010, Lucky said that was important to show the lag in the submission of investigative files by the police to the PCA.
Lucky made reference to four specific cases:

• Christopher Greaves was killed in a shooting involving the police on September 1, 2013. One version was that Greaves had a soda or bottle in his hand and was shot dead by police on patrol.
Police claimed Greaves had a gun and shot at them. Lucky said they made a request for the report since January 27, 2014. She said the PCA visited the scene shortly after Greaves’s killing and when the initial file was requested critical documents were missing, including a UK report which tested the recovered gun. “As there was no forensic evidence to support one version to the other, this particular piece of information was deemed critical by the PCA. To date the PCA is not in possession of that scientific finding with respect to the firearm. “Further, the statements of three of the police officers are dated September 6, 2013 and while some might consider that acceptable, with respect to the fourth officer involved in the matter, that statement was dated October 1, 2013,” Lucky said. Describing this as unacceptable, Lucky said Standing Order 4016 mandates immediate reports be made when police were involved in shootings.

• The shooting death of Police Constable Anil Persad was also brought to the fore. He was killed while on duty on May 12, 2011. Lucky said almost two years after Persad’s death the PCA had requested “yet again” the name of the investigating officer and a copy of the file. “We had written in November of 2012 and in January of 2013 and we received no response. “On January 13 , this year, we sent a letter to the police commissioner in which we had heightened this particular matter and several other matters which the PCA remained waiting to get responses,” Lucky said.
• Naim Dean, 21, was shot dead by a Special Reserve Police officer (SRP) on April 11, 2014, in Glencoe. Lucky said from the day of the killing to June 4, 2014, no statement was provided by the police involved in the incident. She said on Tuesday she was told that the investigator in charge of the probe did “eventually” receive a statement from the SRP. “When I spoke to the police officer in charge of the investigation, he informed me he was in possession of the statement and it is dated June 4, 2014 and the police investigator received it only last Friday. “This is only after some two months without any explanation given to the PCA that this particular officer gave his version of what occurred. Only minutes before I came into the room to address the media did I receive a copy of that statement,” Lucky said.

• George “Ozzie” Ashby was shot and killed by police on January 23, 2009. Lucky said on January 7, 2010, a magistrate ordered an inquest but to date none was held. “The PCA took on this matter, eventually tracked down the police file, was able to speak to the investigating officer and was able to confirm that up to early this year, the file had not been sent to the court so that the inquest could begin... that is not justice,” Lucky added.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:38:38 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Body cameras for cops from Sept 1
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2014, 01:56:06 AM »
Body cameras for cops from Sept 1
Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

Police from various units are expected to wear body cameras from September 1, says director of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) Gillian Lucky. Lucky, who met with acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams yesterday, said she was told 40 cameras were already bought. She said Williams would determine which units would use them. “He (Williams) said a system was being put in place for its usage and the Police Service is acquiring more cameras and the protocols are being put in place,” Lucky said at the press conference yesterday at the Waterfront Complex, Port-of-Spain.

She said body cameras acted as an independent means of determining where the truth lay. “The body cameras are high-tech and when you come out of the police vehicle, as police officers are moving the cameras are recording,” Lucky said. She said the reason that particular equipment was used by many worldwide jurisdictions was because it also assisted in exonerating the police and helping in matters involving police impropriety. “In jurisdictions which have used this, what they have found is that many of the complaints about police impropriety have in fact been reduced because civilians are aware that there is an independent recording of the circumstances of the shooting,” Lucky said.
Lucky first made the recommendation some two years ago. She had first suggested the cameras in November 2012, saying they would provide solid evidence if the police were accused of any wrongdoing. At the time, she was speaking at a town meeting at the Bon Air High School and had addressed questions of serious police misconduct.

Offline Pur_Trini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

from d yutes fb page

If true, then he looks like a fine, upstanding member of the community.  A really good boy.  Unbelievable that such a wholesome young man could come to such a terrible end.
.........and may God bless our Nation.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

from d yutes fb page

If true, then he looks like a fine, upstanding member of the community.  A really good boy.  Unbelievable that such a wholesome young man could come to such a terrible end.

Sarcasm, right?

I believe the police.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I am not condoning the actions of the police in this incident, but after reading the reports and viewing the images on the victim's fb page. I don't think the words 'innocent and ambitious' can be used to describe any of the deceased. Further more, the notion of complete innocence  because one represented our country and won a bronze medal is utter blasphemy.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I am not condoning the actions of the police in this incident, but after reading the reports and viewing the images on the victim's fb page. I don't think the words 'innocent and ambitious' can be used to describe any of the deceased. Further more, the notion of complete innocence  because one represented our country and won a bronze medal is utter blasphemy.

Blasphemy... is that de new lingo fuh "schupidness"?

And it appears the FB account is legit, since de mother is one ah de friends linked to it.  I peep dat last night and just whistle tuh mihself  :whistling:

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thoughts with these revelations Socapro?

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Somebody post the Express article with the boy the fellas was running down to kill.
www.westindiantube.com

1]; } ?>