April 19, 2024, 10:38:28 PM

Author Topic: Cops News Thread.  (Read 75327 times)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hear nah media not getting half de shootings that go on in dis country...I had my first on call the other day that didn't have a GSW victim and was surprised..often we have 3 and four comin in a day..and that is jus d abdomen ones..ortho gets the gunshots that hit limbs
Fellas goin into communities and jus spraying the place wild wild. Diego is a warzone these days judging from what i seeing coming in over the last month.
Now more than ever I understand how Police eh holding back..right now that is d reality.
Back in Trini...

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hear nah media not getting half de shootings that go on in dis country...I had my first on call the other day that didn't have a GSW victim and was surprised..often we have 3 and four comin in a day..and that is jus d abdomen ones..ortho gets the gunshots that hit limbs
Fellas goin into communities and jus spraying the place wild wild. Diego is a warzone these days judging from what i seeing coming in over the last month.
Now more than ever I understand how Police eh holding back..right now that is d reality.

So how do you rate my chances of survival given I'm moving there August? Please tell me you're a good medical practitioner :p

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
hahaha well I must say we have quite a good survival rate for GSWs that reach the hospital alive. No joke, car accident or gunshot I rate POSGH over private hospitals i been to in trinidad..
Back in Trini...

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
hahaha well I must say we have quite a good survival rate for GSWs that reach the hospital alive. No joke, car accident or gunshot I rate POSGH over private hospitals i been to in trinidad..

The missus said something similar - "if you get private you'll end up at POSGH anyway if it's serious". Glad to hear there are safe hands at the hospital :)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

that avg is staggering to say the least...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile

Contro give this thread ah lil blessings nah
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

On point wit Diego heard there are yutes movin around in Diego dressed in army clothes wit guns. Ifu eh from d area u would swear is army. D best hospital is Grande. D ting wit them private hospital wit d nursing staff u eh know who is nurse/nursing assistant/nursing aide. Everybody in white.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

Contro give this thread ah lil blessings nah

in all honesty, my condolences go out to the family... but the problem needs to be addressed, too many kids in TT are led astray when they have the talent to uplift their lives in other areas... it needs to be talked about..

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Camden Turns Around With New Police Force
« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
Camden Turns Around With New Police Force

CAMDEN, N.J. — In the summer of 2012, the year this city broke its own record for homicides, there were 21 people murdered here. This summer, there were six.

Just as remarkably, with shootings down 43 percent in two years, and violent crime down 22 percent, Osvaldo Fernandez now lets his sons walk to school alone. Nancy Torres abandoned plans to move to Florida. And parents from Center City Philadelphia are bringing their children here — notoriously one of the nation’s poorest, most crime-ridden cities — to play in a Little League that has grown to 500 players from 150 in its first season three years ago.

It has been 16 months since Camden took the unusual step of eliminating its police force and replacing it with a new one run by the county. Beleaguered by crime, budget cuts and bad morale, the old force had all but given up responding to some types of crimes.

Janiah Rosas, 8, and her brother Jaden, 3, playing outside an abandoned house in Camden, N.J., where crime is rampant.Overrun by Crime, Camden Trades In Its Police ForceSEPT. 28, 2012
Police Force Nearly Halved, Camden Feels ImpactMARCH 6, 2011
Dispensing with expensive work rules, the new force hired more officers within the same budget — 411, up from about 250. It hired civilians to use crime-fighting technology it had never had the staff for. And it has tightened alliances with federal agencies to remove one of the largest drug rings from city streets.

But mostly, the police have changed their culture. Officers have been moved from desk jobs and squad cars onto walking beats, in what Chief J. Scott Thomson likens to a political campaign to overcome years of mistrust. Average response time is now 4.4 minutes, down from more than 60 minutes, and about half the average in many other cities. The number of open-air drug markets has been cut nearly in half. The department, the Camden County Police, even created its first cold-case unit.

In June and July, the city went 40 days without a homicide — unheard-of in a Camden summer. The empty liquor bottles once clustered on the porches of abandoned houses as memorials to the murdered have disappeared. There are fewer killings to commemorate. The city is beginning to brush up its image.

“At night it’s like living in Cherry Hill!” said Miguel Torres, 63, who has built makeshift benches for his neighbors in the rubble of a demolished home near a notorious drug-dealing block.

His laugh gave away the joke, if the broken sidewalks and iron gates barricading the surrounding rowhouses did not. Camden is still far from nearby Cherry Hill, with its prosperous lawns and shopping malls; even with the drop in crime, Camden’s murder rate this year is higher than Detroit’s, and several times the national average.

Nearly 40 percent of residents live below the poverty line. Unemployment is double the national rate. The worn rowhouses and abandoned buildings — more than 3,400 of them in a city of nine square miles — seem especially heartbreaking set against the gleaming towers of Philadelphia across the Delaware River.

No one, least of all law-enforcement officials, is declaring victory on crime: Camden has seen too many promises and rescue packages to be so bold.

Still, the improvements have come faster than anyone predicted. And while the unrest in Ferguson, Mo., has drawn attention to long-simmering hostilities between police departments and minority communities, Camden is becoming an example of the opposite.

“We’re not going to do this by militarizing streets,” Chief Thomson said. Instead, he sent officers to knock on doors and ask residents their concerns. He lets community leaders monitor surveillance cameras from their home computers to help watch for developing crime.

The police have held meet-the-officer fairs at parks and churches, attended baseball games and sent Mister Softee trucks into neighborhoods. Officers stand at school crossings and on corners where drugs and violence flourished. Chief Thomson’s theory is that in a city of 77,000, there are thousands more well-intentioned people than bad, and that the police must enlist them to take back the streets.

“For a city to be prosperous, it needs to be safe and busy,” he said. “The police are a variable in that equation, but we are just one variable.” He tells his officers that he measures their success not in tickets written, but in the number of children riding bicycles on the street.

“It’s absolutely a different place,” said Tim Gallagher, a social worker who works with students. “You feel safe walking the streets now. The police officers aren’t afraid to come out of their cars and interact with the community, and that’s changed how people feel about them.”

Last month, he watched as officers got out of a squad car where teenagers were playing football in a narrow street. He feared they might break up the game. Instead, they challenged the teenagers to a push-up contest. (The police won, 45-43.)

“The police are working hard not to intimidate people so they don’t have to intimidate people,” Mr. Gallagher said.

The previous police contract included extra pay for longevity and for working anticrime patrols, even for day shifts. But absenteeism averaged 30 percent. The department was so overwhelmed, it stopped responding to property crimes or car accidents without injuries. Dealers sold drugs in plain sight of surveillance cameras, confident the police would not intervene. Residents, too, had largely given up on the police; microphones recording gunshots in the worst neighborhoods showed that 30 percent went unreported.

The new force took over in May 2013. As it added officers, the department put 120 civilian clerks and analysts in a new operations and intelligence center, monitoring 121 surveillance cameras and the gunshot-mapping microphones. When shots are fired or a 911 call comes in, the system automatically dispatches the two nearest police units.

Car-mounted cameras read license plates, which are checked against law-enforcement databases. A disembodied voice announcing “medium alert” signals a car whose owner has bought drugs in Camden before. “High alert” flags a stolen car.

Patrols walked even during winter storms, sending a message about commitment. The department set up substations on the north and south ends of the city. And last month, 120 unarmed civilian “ambassadors” in bright yellow shirts began strolling five main business districts.

The increased police presence has pushed drug dealing off the streets, and as a result, pushed a majority of homicides inside — and random gunfire away from children playing on sidewalks.

Relations are not always warm. In Whitman Park, near where federal agents arrested 22 people this spring in the biggest drug crackdown in 10 years, officers stood on one side of the street while residents congregated on the other, teaching a boy to ride a tricycle and largely ignoring the police.

Still, two years ago, residents on the same block shook their fists and shouted obscenities when the police chief drove by.

Now, a girl on a porch spotted Officer Christian Jeffries and hollered, “Hi, cop!”

“When they see you every day, they can pull you aside,” said Officer Jeffries, who worked in Atlantic City before becoming one of Camden’s first newly hired officers. “I’ve had people say, ‘Act like you’re writing me a ticket.’ ”

Across the city, parks once given over to drug addicts have been reclaimed. The North Camden Little League has grown to six divisions, plus T-ball and a fathers’ league on Sundays.

“Before, you wouldn’t bring your kid here,” said Osvaldo Fernandez, watching his two sons play. “You could be here, and a shootout in the park just over a little argument.” He said he never used to let the boys play in the street, but now lets them go out alone. And he feels safe driving his cab at night.

The old police union fought the overhaul. But the new force is now unionized, and leaders welcome the added resources. “Anyone would want to not have to do the jobs of four or five other people anymore,” said Sgt. Bill Wiley, the president.

The most stubborn critics still object that newer officers do not know the city well enough; the new force hired about 150 of the 195 officers in the department when it was eliminated.

“Why should I believe that 250 rookies are going to be more effective than veteran police officers we had before?” asked Colandus Francis, who heads the local N.A.A.C.P.

He, like others, accuses the police of harassment, for pulling over cars for having tinted windows or playing loud music, or for rolling through stop signs.

But Eulisis Delgado, who protested the new force for months before it began, now says residents should be grateful. “It’s almost like a normal town,” he said. “You do something bad, they are going to stop you.”

Minorities make up 45 percent of the force, similar to the old department but hardly reflective of a city where 95 percent of residents are black or Hispanic. Still, the new force includes speakers of Spanish, Haitian Creole and nine other languages.

At a meet-the-police fair, officers played teenagers in a hybrid of touch and tackle football, lumbering in their bulletproof vests and instinctively checking for their holstered guns when the boys toppled them. (The teenagers won.)

Nancy Torres watched with her son, 7, who wore balloons fashioned into a sword and belt by a balloon artist at the fair. “He used to be afraid of the police,” she said. “Now he wants to be one.”

There are other signs of life. The county has put millions into park improvements. The state has paid to knock down some abandoned houses. Charter schools are rising, and a ShopRite, the city’s first new supermarket in three decades, is to begin construction next year.

“It’s like we always had a flat tire,” said Sister Helen Cole, who has counseled families of murder victims in Camden for 25 years. “We would have an acting police chief, an acting prosecutor, an acting superintendent, or the mayor was being investigated.”

“Right now,” she added, “I want to have hope that we have four fully inflated tires.”
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

socafighter

Trini makes US Top Cop list
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »
Trini makes US Top Cop list
By Donstan Bonn
By donstan.bonn@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM ECT

COMMITMENT TO DUTY: Scott Pulchansingh and US Attorney General Eric Holder.

How does one go from being born in a rural district of a Caribbean island to being honoured by the president of the United States at the White House. For Trinidad-born Scott Pulchansingh it happened because of his commitment to duty and the bravery displayed in carrying out his duties.
Pulchansingh was one of 17 law enforcement officers from the Boston Police Department presented with TOP COP Awards® by US president Barack Obama in a ceremony at the White House on May 20.
Born in the village of Endeavour in Chaguanas and a past pupil of Presentation College Chaguanas, Pulchansingh was honoured for the role he played in the captur of Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev after the pair shot and killed 26-year-old Sean Collier, an MIT police officer.
The Tsarnaev brothers were the principal suspects in the setting off of two bombs during the running of the Boston Marathon on April 15 last year, which led to the death of three persons with hundreds injured.

Pulchansingh gave the Express a brief account of the Tsarnaevs apprehension and his subsequent nomination to TOP COPS:

“After responding to the slaying of Officer Collier we actively searched for the Tsarnaev brothers.
“Along with members from the Youth Violence Strike Force (commonly called The Gang Unit) we chased them in Watertown and were engaged in a firefight, during which shots were fired and bombs were tossed out the window at us.

“Eventually we apprehended them and I was the officer who conducted a search on Tamerlan Tsarnaev,” Pulchansingh said.
He said as a result his department honoured him with the Schroeder Brothers Memorial Award last December and nominated him for Top Cops.

Pulchansingh, who has 19 years’ service as a law enforcement officer, said he loves what he does.

“After migrating to the US in 1985 I became a health inspector with the city of Boston and a constable, during which time I worked closely with the Mayor’s office and all agencies including the Police Department. I would later become a full time member of the Boston Police Department,” Pulchansingh said.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Cops in T&T.
« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2014, 01:58:21 AM »
Charged with robbing Chinese couple of $525,000
By Alexander Bruzual (Express).

4 T&T Cops on $3.2m bail.

Four police officers, with a combined total of 59 years of service, appeared before a Port of Spain magistrate yesterday on three charges of misbehaviour in public office following enquiries into the robbery of a Chinese couple of over $500,000 on September 17.

The officers—acting Sgt Lester Garcia, acting Corporal Sheldon Peterson, PC Dexter Edwards and PC Ronan Newton—all stood in silence when they appeared before Magistrate Christine Charles in the First Court. The men were all dressed in formal wear after they successfully obtained station bail on Tuesday night at $800,000 each, to cover the offences. They were all represented by Senior Counsel Sophia Chote and Trevor Clarke.

Charles read out three charges of misbehaviour in public office against the men, which alleged the officers, being in and performing duties of the local Police Service, governed by the Police Service Act of 2006, committed larceny by removing $175,000 from the home of Danny and Yvonne Owu at Bon Air Gardens West, Arouca, on September 17. The sum of the three charges amounts to $525,000.

The charges were laid indictably and none of the four men was called upon to enter a plea.

The magistrate then enquired from police prosecutor Sgt Callister Charles if the State had any objections to the court continuing the station bail, to which the sergeant said there would be no opposition.

Charles said the four officers were members of the T&T Police Service, meaning prior to this matter they would have had clean records before the courts.

He then submitted the matter had not taken place in the jurisdiction of the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court, and as a result the matter would have to be adjourned and transferred to the Arima Magistrates’ Court.

In addition, since a State prose­cutor from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions would also have to be appointed to oversee the case, he said he would not object to the station bail being continued.

Magistrate Charles then adjourned the matter to October 8 to be called before the Arima First Magistrate’s Court.

Cpl Rollocks, of the Professional Standards Bureau, was said to be the complainant in the matter.
The policemen hid from the media when they exited the court.

The robbery victims—Danny and Yvonne Owu—who own a casino and restaurant, alleged that on September 17 officers of the Northern Division entered their home and made off with two duffel bags filled with cash amounting to more than half a million dollars.

Officers at the Tunapuna and Arouca police stations refused to take their report. Police later executed a search warrant at Arouca Police Station, looking for the stolen money, but turned up empty-handed.
One day later, the acting sergeant was transferred to St Joseph Police Station, the acting corporal to Tunapuna, and the two constables to the Malabar and Pinto Road stations.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:41:02 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Cops in T&T.
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2014, 05:09:12 AM »
Caught on camera abusing disabled man in wheelchair
By Susan Mohammed (Express).

COPS A DISGRACE

A VIDEO has emerged on Facebook showing a policeman slapping a man in a wheelchair, and a policewoman pushing his wheelchair downhill along a busy street.

People have expressed outrage over the callousness of the actions of the police officers, and want action to be taken.

The Express has learnt acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams and National Security Minister Gary Griffith have been shown the video, and the case is being investigated.

Southern Division Senior Supt Cecil Santana has described the actions of the people in the video as a disgrace to the Police Service.

The video, which is less than two minutes long, has attracted the attention of thousands of viewers as by yesterday afternoon there were almost 28,000 views and it had been shared by 2,270 people.

One of the persons who commented on the video on Facebook was a person fitting the description of one of the police officers seen in the video.

That person commented: “The man cussing ppl and want to spit on the gentleman wen d man tell him bout it but that’s police brutality.”

Griffith said he knew of the video and the matter was being investigated.

He said, “I am aware that the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) is fully aware of the situation. Also, the Commissioner of Police and the matter is being investigated. So until the investigation is completed it will be inappropriate for me to make any statement at this time.”

A prominent attorney also commented on social media: “Look, I too do not know and do not care what the guy in the wheelchair did. This is outrageous!!!! Slapping a guy in a wheelchair!! Police officers do not have the right to abuse citizens...this is assault and battery.

“Whatever he may have done (it appears that he is being accused of cursing an officer) this treatment is against the law. The officer was not defending himself and not under any perceivable threat. Who is this officer?? He should be charged!!! We need to do something about the calibre of officers that we have. This must certainly be a big part of why crime continues to be out of control.”

Santana said yesterday the police officers are to be investigated immediately.

“The Commissioner (of Police) has instructed that the Professional Standards Bureau begins investigations into the matter immediately,” said Santana.
The Express was told by another senior officer that the officers in the video are attached to the Rapid Response Unit in Mon Repos, and that both appeared to be off duty.

“If he was on duty he would have to be in police uniform since he is not a detective,” the senior police officer said, adding that the woman police officer appeared to be working on an “extra duty”.

The Express was also told they are both Special Reserve Police officers.

Santana said: “I want to assure you that no stone will be left unturned and the appropriate action will be taken against those officers.”

Santana said he had seen the video. “It was a disgrace to the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service. Those are not the kind of officers that we want in the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service,” he said.

EMPLOYEE: Wheelchair man abused me

The video was shot on High Street, San Fernando, around 4 p.m. last Saturday, and when the Express visited the area yesterday, several vendors and store employees said they had seen the man, and had witnessed the incident.

The wheelchair-bound man could not be located.

Most of those persons said the man should not have been beaten by the police officers.

A store employee who witnessed the incident said the man earlier that day left the San Fernando General Hospital and had a catheter and other apparatus hanging from the wheelchair.

“He was just showing the woman police officer monkey face and gave her the middle-finger. I think they treated him unjustly. The situation could have been handled better than that.”

Jean Allsop, an employee of Chicken Unlimited, said she was taking out the garbage when the man became abusive to her.

“He asked me if we had any fish broth and when I told him no he started to use racial words and cuss. The man was carrying on and on,” said Allsop.

“But I would say the police had no right to hit him. But as officers, they should have known better to deal with him. Nobody deserves to be treated like that,” she said.

Allsop’s co-worker, Vonetta Mars, said: “He was pelting money at us. People would pick up the money and hand him, and he would pelt it at us. He was also pulling people’s hands and harassing some ladies. He was drunk. A man asked him his name and he cuss him too.”

A vendor who did not identify himself also said the man appeared to be under the influence of a drug. “He was using racial slurs, spitting and cussing people. I went to him and told him do not get on like that. When the police came he spit on the policewoman. He deserve more than that. He was lucky somebody didn’t kick him down from the wheelchair.”

THE VIDEO

The video begins with the policewoman telling the man: “Move your wheelchair and go from here for me, please.”

As she unhooks the brakes on sides of wheelchair, she says: “You don’t know who you are dealing with, you know.”

She then turns the wheelchair around and says to the man: “Go down the road. Push your wheelchair and go down the road. If you playing mad, I more mad.”

She then pushes him off into the street and the wheelchair rolled until it hit a vehicle parked at the roadside.

The person shooting the video walks towards the man and advises him to “drive back up” the street.
The man in the wheelchair turns it around and pushes himself a short distance before he is approached by a man who identifies himself as a police officer.

“It don’t take me nothing to buss some  f** slap on you although you are in a wheelchair,” says the policeman.

“What you cussing the police for? I ask you a question, boy.”

The man in the wheelchair and the policeman exchange words before the policeman slaps him across his head and face.

The man, who said he was a police officer, continues to ask what he was cussing the police for, and slaps him again.

The wheelchair-bound man does not retaliate against the policeman, but rubs his hand over his head.

The video then has audio of a woman, who said: “He must be could probably well walk you know. But they does put themselves in wheelchair and come out here and terrorise people.”

The policeman then slaps the man in the wheelchair again and walks off.

BULLY COPS
By VASHTEE ACHIBAR.
December 30 2014

A FIRESTORM of condemnation has been levelled at two police officers — from within their own ranks and from the general public — after they brutally assaulted a disabled man who sat in a wheelchair on lower High Street in San Fernando, in full view of passers by on Saturday afternoon.

Officers of the Professional Standards Bureau were appointed to investigate the assault were yesterday searching San Fernando and environs for the unnamed disabled man to record a statment.

A passerby who witnessed the exchange recorded the incident and uploaded the video to several social network websites, with the video going viral in minutes and prompting many comments, most of which were critical of the officers’ conduct.

The officers have been identified as two SRPs (Special Reserve Police) from the Mon Repos Police Station.

Following the video upload and the avalanche of negative public reaction, Ag Commissoner of Police Stephen Williams appointed a team from the Professional Standards Bureau headed by ACP Harrikrishen Baldeo to investigate the incident.

Head of Police Southern Division Snr Supt Cecil Santana last evening confirmed being contacted by ACP South, Central and South Western Donald Denoon who relayed that Commissioner Williams wanted an immediate and thorough investigation.

Santana said the two officers have already been identified as belonging to the Rapid Response Unit based at Mon Repos police Station. He described their conduct as disgraceful, adding, “the Service cannot condone that kind of action and these kinds of officers are what we don’t need in the ranks.” He assured, “no stone would be left unturned with respect to the investigation and what necessary action has to be taken, would be taken.”

When Newsday yesterday visited lower High Street where the incident occurred, emotions were still high. Some persons who said they witnessed the incident on Saturday strongly condemned the officers’ actions and called for justice to be done.

An eyewitness related that the attack began after the wheelchair-bound man was observed stretching out his hand to beg. This prompted a WPC in full police uniform to scold the disabled man, telling him he was getting disability by the State and should not be begging on the road.

The eyewitness who asked not to be identified said the disabled man cursed the officer causing her to become enraged. In the video, the female officer is seen disengaging the hand brake mechanism on the wheelchair.

She is then heard saying, “if you feel you mad, then I more mad” as she pushed the wheelchair down the slight incline of High Street and letting it go. In doing so, the officer herself narrowly escaped being hit by an oncoming van. The wheelchair proceeded down the road for a few feet before bumping into a car parked at the side of the road and coming to a halt. Eyewitnesses yesterday asked if the disabled man had been struck by an oncoming vehicle, what would have been the officers’ reaction.

The person who recorded the incident is heard using expletives as he described what was taking place. He then egged on the disabled man to go back up the street. As the disabled man did so, he was met by an oncoming policeman dressed in plainclothes.

The man pulled out a wallet, identified himself to the disabled man as an officer and then asked him why did he curse the woman police officer. The officer warned the disabled man that being in a wheelchair would not prevent him from getting a slap. The male officer, in the presence of several onlookers, proceeded to slap the disabled man at least three times, with two of the slaps being so vicious, so powerful as to rock the man’s head forcefully to the side. The male officer then walked off.

An eyewitness who said he was extremely disturbed by the beating told Newsday the disabled man wore a colostomy bag which was hanging from the wheelchair and one of the slaps from the officer caused urine to squirt out of the bag.

Business people in the area claimed the male officer in question is well-known to them as he is in the habit of harassing them about parking when vehicles arrive to offload goods to the stores.

David Manning, son of former prime minister and outgoing San Fernando East MP Patrick Manning, was among those who strongly condemned the officers’ actions stating on his Facebook page, “The Police act tough in the streets to earn respect, but the true measure of earning (respect) is performance.

Tapping up retards (sic) in wheelchairs hardly earns respect in light of a 400 plus annual murder rate and not a single suspect apprehended and not a single case solved. Any officer laying his hands on me trying to score points will certainly get an assault charge.”

Another Facebook user, Donna Ramnarine wrote: “People forget life is a boomerang and what goes around comes around. This is a human being. Somebody’s brother, uncle, father, nephew that these cops beating. There are ways to deal with this. I understand he just came out of the hospital...God is watching.”

Meanwhile, the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) in a news release said, “it is aware of a video that has been circulating on social media of alleged impropriety of persons who appear to be officers of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS).” The Authority stated that, “pursuant to the functions of the Police Complaints Authority Act”, it has initiated an independent investigation into the incident and is calling for any witnesses or persons with information on the incident to kindly contact the PCA at the following numbers: 800-2PCA/800-2722/627-4383, 627-4386 or info@pca.org.tt.”

Public Affairs Officer of the TT Police Service Supt Joanne Archie strongly condemned the officers’ actions. “We condemn what has happened. We would not condone such behaviour by officers. The video sent to me was communicated and forwarded to the Ag CoP (Stephen Williams) about mid-morning today (yesterday). He (Williams) immediately directed that the Professional Standards Bureau (PSB) initiate an investigation,” Archie said.

Meanwhile, the Police Social and Welfare Association added its voice to criticisms describing the video posting as “worrisome” and calling for a speedy investigation into the matter.

General Secretary of the association Insp Michael Seales said while the man may have insulted the police, the officers’ response was unnecessary.

“We have established that summary offences have been committed by the man but the exchange between the officer and the man, doesn’t warrant that type of interaction by the officer, in terms of what would have happened to the man, based on what has gone viral.

“We are very concerned and hope this is one of the investigations that the Commissioner completes as quickly as possible to the satisfaction of the citizens who would have witnessed the incident,” Seales said.

San Fernando Mayor Kazim Hosein said the corporation was very saddened at the incident .

He noted that while it was reasonable to expect protection from violence and crime by all police officers, this indeed was “an isolated and unfortunate incident” which needs to be fully investigated.

VIDEO

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=770685426344288&set=vb.679696105443221&type=2&theater

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:59:46 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cops in T&T.
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »
Flex yuh see this madness?  The entire video has been circulating on Facebook

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Police-Beat-Man-in-Wheelchair--2937---287067271.html

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2014, 07:29:23 AM »
Man in wheelchair slapped and shoved by cops embarrassed, hurt by incident:
By Susan Mohammed and Sue-Ann Wayow

I WISH TO DIE

ROBBIE RAMCHARITAR, the man in a wheelchair who was seen in a viral video being slapped and his wheelchair shoved down a busy High Street by two police officers in San Fernando, said yesterday he was hurt and embarrassed by the public beating which has been seen by thousands of people.

Ramcharitar said he did nothing more than to say “I love you” to a woman in blue clothing, who turned out to be a police officer.

Ramcharitar, 46, spoke to the media on the compound of the San Fernando General Hospital where he said he had been “living” since June.

“I don’t like what happened. I got some slap in my face and on my glasses on my left side. How you expect a man to feel? I am embarrassed to the highest degree over what the officers did. My one wish is to die. I just fed up of everything. I too embarrassed to face anybody,” Ramcharitar said.

The video shows a male police offi­cer slapping Ramcharitar three times across his head and face as he sat in a wheelchair, and a police­woman pushing his wheelchair downhill.

Vendors and store employees said the incident occurred last Saturday afternoon on High Street, San Fernando, and was witnessed by several persons who alleged Ram­charitar was spitting and using obscene language and racial slurs to passers-by, and he appeared intoxicated.

Ramcharitar said yesterday he went to the area to purchase gifts for the nurses who had treated him with kindness at the hospital, but did not physically or verbally assault anyone. He said he had $30 each to spend on the gifts.

“Now, I feel bad I can’t give them anything. I never disrespect nobody; I never curse nobody; I never spit on nobody. That is an allegation,” said Ramcharitar.

“The officer, I never disrespect her. I never curse her. I just told her I love her. I tried to make a tackle. And with that, a next officer who is on the papers here (pointing to a news­paper), he pushed me away and it had a big scene, a very big scene”, he said.

Ramcharitar also responded to claims he was faking his disability.

“I fell off a coconut tree in May­aro when I was 16 years old. It didn’t start to affect me until 30 years after. The doctors said I could do an ope­ration, but it would be three years before I could walk properly again,” he said.

People who have seen the video expressed outrage over the callousness of the police officers and called for action to be taken.

The matter has been placed in the hands of the Professional Standards Bureau (PSB) of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »
COP HIT ME HARD
By LAUREL V WILLIAMS and VASHTEE ACHAIBAR
Wednesday, December 31 2014

The wheelchair-bound man who felt the hard hand of a Special Reserve Policeman in San Fernando on Saturday wants quick action taken against that officer.

Robby Ramcharitar is softer however on the woman officer who, in the same incident, shoved him in his unlocked wheelchair dangerously down the relatively busy section of High Street.

He admitted to telling the policewoman he loved her and felt that his words – uttered under the influence of some beers — may have triggered the episode in which the male officer unleashed some violent clouts to his head and face.

“He hit me real hard,” Ramcharitar told Newsday yesterday.

The entire incident was video recorded by a witness and went viral via social media shortly after, resulting in widespread public condemnation of the officers’ actions, and prompting immediate investigations by the police service and the Police Complaints Authority. The two officers involved were reportedly instructed not to report for duty at their Mon Repos police station base yesterday. They were identified and interviewed by the Professional Standards Bureau of the service. Ramcharitar, meanwhile, gave investigating officers a statement during a two-hour interview yesterday.

Ramcharitar recalled that earlier in the day of the incident, he had consumed several beers and so he was a bit intoxicated.

“I was going to buy gifts for the nurses because they treat me too nice,” he revealed. “They are very kind and gentle with me and so I wanted to give them something in return.”

Newsday caught up with Ramcharitar in the corridors of one of the buildings of the San Fernando General Hospital where he says he has been staying for the past six months since he is homeless. He is a beneficiary of a special programme operated by the hospital especially for the indigent of the area.

While on his way to search for the gifts for the nurses, Ramcharitar said he saw a woman, who was later identified as the WPC, standing at the entrance of a store.

“I had a few beers in my head,” Ramcharitar said. “I told her that I love her. I never curse her nor spit on her. I never disrespected her. I did not realise she was an officer. I thought she was a store worker just standing at the entrance.” His words, he said, seemed to have angered the policewoman as he came out of the store.

Gesticulating as he sat in his wheelchair, he explained: “She walked down the stairs unloosen my brakes and pushed me. I landed on a parked car, scraping it at the side. I was still focusing on her when a man came, showing me something in his hands and giving me talks.” The man turned out to be a special reserve police officer.

Ramcharitar added that he was unable to remember whether or not he replied to the man, but added that he never used obscenities or spat on anyone. He said he paid little attention to what the man was saying and then suddenly he felt a burning sensation on his face.

“ He slapped me hard,” Ramcharitar said, “But because of the beers I did not feel too much pain for long. The two plastics from my eyeglasses fell out so I am putting a piece of tape to prevent it from scraping my nose. I do not know where he was after that.” He explained that the policewoman had called for back-up and two jeeps arrived with police officers. Ramcharitar said he telephoned his sister, a security officer, who works nearby and she and another colleague arrived shortly after. They spoke with the officers who ordered that they take him back to the hospital.

Yesterday he spent about two hours in a meeting with police investigators and says something has to be done about the incident. He was confident acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams would do the “right thing”.

Ramcharitar is originally from Vistabella and said for the past five years he has been homeless due to family problems. At age 16, he related, he fell off a coconut tree causing damage to his spine. But five years ago, he fell near the Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet in Gasparillo while using crutches. This, he said, caused further injuries and thus caused him to have to use a wheelchair.

Reports are the wheelchair-bound man was seen stretching out his hand to beg at lower High Street, San Fernando, on Saturday. A woman police constable, dressed in full police uniform, was nearby and began to scold him. Eyewitnesses said she accused him of getting disability by the State and should not be begging on the road. She then released the brakes on his wheelchair and pushed it causing him to crash into a nearby parked car. A male off-duty officer intervened and dealt him several slaps in full view of passers- by.

The two police officers have since been ordered not to report for work.

Head of the Police Southern Division Snr Supt Cecil Santana yesterday confirmed he received instructions from Commissioner Williams to not roster the officers who are said to be members of the Rapid Response Unit based at the Mon Repos station.

Sources said statements were recorded from eyewitnesses on Lower High Street and a video recording of the incident was also handed over to the investigators who expect the probe would be “wrapped up shortly.”

A senior officer said the two officers could be charged with assault. He further explained that in the case of a child, a woman or a sick person, the charge could be upgraded to “aggravated assault.”

Following the investigations a file would be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions for advice on the laying of charges.

The source also revealed the Police Commissioner has authority to dismiss the two officers under the Supplemental Police Act Ch 15.02.

Also yesterday, Chief Executive Officer at the National Centre for Persons with Disabilities, (NCPD), in San Fernando, Dr Beverly Beckles, said she was rendered speechless on seeing the video of the policeman slapping Ramcharitar.

The incident occurred a short distance away from where the centre is located at New Street.

Beckles said she could not believe what she saw and declared that “not even an animal should be treated in that manner. The police are here to protect and serve, if you want to build confidence in the service that is not the way to go,” she pleaded.

Beckles said the male officer’s behaviour was as “unacceptable”, adding there is a need for greater awareness in the society about disabled persons and lamenting her organisation does not “have the finances to mount a national campaign”.

Beckles said her initial reaction to the incident was that the officers should be fired, but upon reflection realised police officers need to be properly trained to interact with members of the public, especially the disabled. She feels some good could come out of the incident if only to create a greater awareness about the “disabled and how we interact with them”. She called on citizens to treat each other with respect, “ since we don’t know where we will be tomorrow”.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
I like what Dr Beckles said. And I really like the aim for a middle ground - not too hard but not too soft. I think trinis are compassionate people and will forever want to give lawbreakers and wrongdoers a chance...and we see that can't work / leads to a totally lawless society. I am all for a search for reasonable and consistent (therefore easily enforceable) punishment.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »
Yeah firing is a little rough... especially for the WPC (ridiculous that they still using gender identifiers, but say what).  The SRP need to be fired though... that is out and out assault, upon reflection.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #227 on: January 01, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »
SRPs sent home after beating of homeless man...
By Derek Achong

The two Special Reserve Police (SRP) accused of allegedly assaulting a disabled man on a wheelchair  in San Fernando on Saturday have been taken off active duty. The announcement was made yesterday by acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams and comes days after a video of the incident sparked massive public outcry after it was posted on several social media Web sites on Monday.

Addressing yesterday’s weekly police press briefing at the Police Administration Building, Port-of-Spain, Williams described the incident as a “blatant abuse of power.” He said: “As the head of the TTPS I feel compelled to strongly condemn such reprehensible behaviour by the SRPs.”

As part of his “swift and decisive” response to the controversial video, Williams said he decided to exercise his power to temporarily cease their activity as SRPs, to withdraw their firearm precepts and seize their uniforms and other police issued items. “That is short of revoking their appointment as for me to do that I must comply with the rules of natural justice and the disciplinary procedure in the police service regulations,” Williams said.

He further explained that the SRP’s would receive no pay during the period of the investigation as they work under an employment scheme whether they are paid based on when they are called upon by the TTPS to work. “If they were members of the TTPS the regulations would provide that the Police Service Commission can only get as far as to cutting their pay by up to a half,” Williams said.

Williams also thanked the unidentified person who recorded the video and posted it as he said the incident may have left unchecked if this was not done. “Police officers are not above the law and they must comply with it. That is why we encourage members of the public to record events which are inconsistent with police functions and bring it to our attention,” Williams said.

Williams admitted that the incident, coupled with that of Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Peter Reyes, had the potential to damage to public trust and confidence the Police Service was attempting to improve over the past year.  When asked to explain the difference in his decision pertaining to ACP Reyes, who was this week transferred from heading the Tobago Division following a incident aboard a domestic flight two weeks ago, Williams identified the video recording of the SRPs as the main factor.

“The clip is obvious and that is why I could speak strongly about it...I can actually see the event so I can take deliberate action,” Williams said as he claimed there were several inconsistencies between media reports on Reyes’ incident and statements given by eyewitnesses. “That is why in the first instance you have to do an investigation to get the facts of the matter to make a determination whether a criminal offence or any other offences would have been committed,” Williams said.

While he said in both cases he chose to take action that would ensure fairness to the parties involved, Williams expressed the view the Police Service’s disciplinary regulations were outdated and time consuming.

“It is a pretty slow process because of the bureaucracy built in to the regulations. What i would like to see is a review of the procedures so we can shorten process for speedier tribunals so, we can at the end of the day reach the point where persons can receive the highest level of discipline,” Williams said.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
Rajkumar: No one asked my side of the story
By Renuka Singh (Guardian)

Suspended Special Reserve Police (SRP) officer, 32-year-old Roger Rajkumar, has been gagged by his attorneys and can no longer speak about his alleged involvement in the violent slapping of a wheel-chair bound paraplegic Robby Ramcharitar.

The T&T Guardian met with Rajkumar at a relative’s home in Princes Town yesterday and while he is abiding by his lawyer’s instructions, Rajkumar denied that he has ever spoken to any media house since the alleged incident occurred on December 27. “If I wanted to speak to any media, I would speak to them just like I am speaking to you. But I have not spoken to anyone and I seeing myself quoted. What is that?” Rajkumar said.

He had copies of two other newspaper reports, highlighting and underlining portions of the published article that he plans to send to his lawyer. “This is malicious and damaging to my character,” Rajkumar said.

Rajkumar was working on extra duty, hired by the owners of a nearby jewelry store as security during the busy Christmas season. But while Rajkumar is refusing to speak on the actual incident that led to his suspension, a close relative described the situation as an “edited set-up”. The relative denied that Rajkumar slapped Ramcharitar, describing it as a swift reaction to the threat of being spat on.

His family is supportive, also denying that Rajkumar slapped Ramcharitar, saying that with his eight years of martial arts training, he reacted quickly to the threat of being spat on and that he pushed Ramcharitar’s face away on two occasions.

The incident, which was recorded by an unknown individual and uploaded to Facebook, allegedly shows Rajkumar slapping Ramcharitar. The video was quickly shared on social media pages and became a popular topic of discussion. Both Rajkumar and a female officer also seen in the video have since been suspended pending investigations.

Rajkumar said he was not aware of the actions of the female officer until he saw the video and does not know who she is. This, his relatives suggest, is more cunning video editing done to make it look like both officers attacked the man in succession. “I did not know that happened, I was just crossing the road when he approached me asking for money, when he saw my police identification, then he became abusive,” Rajkumar said.

A relative said yesterday that the video was deliberately edited to remove the cursing and obscene language by the man in the wheelchair. The edited version of the video, he claims, also removed the Ramcharitar’s threat to spit on Rajkumar. “The street was quiet, yet you hearing a Vibez Kartel song while the man speaking, why is there no other noise, no other background noise but that song and only when the man speaking?” the family member questioned.

Family members said there had been several previous encounters with the owners of stores opposite where the officer was working and they believe that the editing of the video was done deliberately to “get back” at Rajkumar. “Several times he had to buff them for parking on the wrong side of the road and for blocking his view of the doorway of the store he was hired to protect,” he said.

This too he is discussing with his attorney. “He has said that when the real video is shown, the unedited version, he doesn’t mind if people judge him on that,” the relative said.

Rajkumar has been an SRP for just nine months and in that time has written out over 350 citations, including several for obscene language and driving under the influence. “He studied martial arts for years, believe me, if he slap someone, they will lay down,” the relative said.

Rajkumar’s relatives believe that the decision to suspend him and the female officer was as a result of public outcry. “Nobody asked my side of the story yet but still I got suspended,” Rajkumar said. The T&T Guardian has since learned that Rajkumar and his legal representative will be meeting with the investigators today.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2015, 05:01:36 PM »
By Sheila Rampersad   (Express)
Story Created: Jan 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM ECT
 It is unsurprising that on the cusp of a new year, the long arm of the law is featured descending brutally on a physically vulnerable citizen. It is even less unusual that that long arm is attached to a special reserve police officer.
While deviant behaviour by regular police officers—men and women alike—remain less uncommon than citizens would like, allegations and formal charges against special reserve officers are too many and too frequent.  Citizens, ideally in the second instance, and the police service in the first instance, ought not to feel that business as usual is an acceptable response.
The system of recruiting, vetting, training and disciplining SRPs must be urgently reviewed and revised; the public must make it impossible for the TTPS to continue its characteristic sluggishness.

A cursory search for “SRP charged” generates a diverse range of criminal deviance over the past few years:

May 2014: Joel Apparicio, 31, shot and killed by an SRP in San Juan. Apparicio was running along Real Street towards the San Juan Police Station to make a report.
August 2014: SRP Jameel Mohammed of the Biche Police Station charged with misbehaviour in public office. The charge was related to the disappearance of a gun belonging to a police sergeant attached to the same station.
October 2014: SRPs Avinash Hajaree and Jeremy Tenia of the Praedial Larceny Squad charged with assaulting and falsely imprisoning Basraj Tooolsie in Debe. 
March 2013: SRPs Kevon Marshall and Kenrol Patterson jointly charged with Mark Collette for the abduction and murder of Johnny Noel.
June 2013: SRP Andy Britto jailed for four months with hard labour for assaulting his neighbour. The court believed that Britto hit his neighbour in the head with a big stone. In this matter, the magistrate seemed spooked by the contents of a probation officer’s report on Britto. She concluded, “You ought not to be in the Police Service. It is a noble profession…” Britto, she noted, had shown no remorse during the trial despite having known the victim all his life. Prior to his arrest, Britto was doing guard duty at Police Administration Building, Port of Spain.
August 2012: SRP Bryan Chadband charged with attempted murder of a close relative.
August 2012: An SRP expected to appear in court charged with robbing several ATMs in Princes Town and possession of ammunition.
June 2011: An SRP expected to appear in court charged with several counts of larceny, corruption and fraud.
November 2011: SRP Rennie Deowah charged with indecently assaulting a six-year-old girl.
September 2010: SRP Summer St Clair of the Transit Unit charged with possession of 107 grammes of marijuana.

This list is selective; an exhaustive compilation would be even scarier.
Average citizens could watch this and see that there is a problem somewhere in the recruitment of SRPs. The instances are too many. In a serious country experts would have noticed this, studied it expansively and submitted recommendations to improve the quality of men and women who, after truncated training, are handed police identification cards, uniforms and guns.
Note that the recent Rapid Response Unit (RRU) comprises SRPs exclusively. Seventy-six of them also populate the Praedial Larceny Squad. Unlike regular officers, SRPs undergo no polygraph and psychometric testing so there are few opportunities to exclude those recruits who may have violent inclinations, who may be paedophiles or suffer from mental illnesses. While they are trained in the mechanics of firearms, they are not trained in a use-of-force policy or restraint in dealing with civilians.
The educational requirements of five O-Levels are also waived.
With far inferior education and less training than a regular police officer, SRPs are thrown in at the deep end, attending to reports just like regular officers. The public makes no distinction between regular officers and SRPs and SRPs are mandated to respond to any incident they witness.
There have never been regulations in place for SRPs; there is no code of conduct. Many people who are rejected as recruits by the TTPS secure employment as SRPs.
The SRP Act speaks to discipline but no process is outlined.
Yet these SRPs, some of whom no doubt perform admirably, are foisted on a citizenry already reeling from the effects of sometimes incompetent, sometimes downright abusive, police behaviour.
There are SRP-only squads, SRPs in almost all police stations, SRPs with guns, SRPs in Tobago, SRPs patrolling our cities over Christmas.
The TTPS cannot allow this to continue; citizens must ensure that the TTPS and the Ministry of National Security conduct a comprehensive review of the process by which SRPs are employed and let loose on an unwitting population.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2015, 06:35:54 AM »
Facebook slap victim suing State.
Reshma Ragoonath (Guardian)

Charges of misbehaviour in public office, assault and malicious damage are to be laid against two south Special Reserve Police (SRP) officers for the alleged abuse of a wheelchair-bound man last week. Officers of the Professional Standards Bureau received instructions yesterday from the Director of Public Prosecutions to lay charges against two suspended officers, arising out of the December 27 incident involving paraplegic Robby Ramcharitar.

They will both appear before a San Fernando Magistrate on Monday to answer the charges. The male officer will be charged with misbehaviour in public office, while the woman officer will be charged with assaulting Ramcharitar and maliciously damaging a car which was parked on High Street. The car was damaged when Ramcharitar’s wheelchair collided with it after he allegedly was pushed away by the woman police officer.

The alleged incident shot into the national spotlight last week and created a social media firestorm after a video of the officers allegedly assaulting Ramcharitar, 46, on High Street, San Fernando, surfaced on Facebook. The video showed Ramcharitar being violently slapped and pushed away. Both police officers were expected to attend identification parades and be interviewed by officers at the Professional Standards Bureau’s San Fernando office at 10 am yesterday.

The woman police officer turned up for the interview, which lasted for two hours. She later attended the identification parade. The male officer, citing advice from his attorneys, declined to attend the identification parade and interview session at the San Fernando Police Station. However, around 4 pm yesterday, officers from the Professional Standards Bureau detained the 32-year-old man at a house in Princes Town and took him to the San Fernando Police Station.

Ramcharitar was interviewed by Cpl Joefield. Up to late yesterday, Joefield was interviewing the male officer.

Ramcharitar to sue state

Wheelchair-bound paraplegic Robby Ramcharitar says he will be initiating legal action against the State, even though charges are to be laid against the two officers accused of abusing him last week.  Ramcharitar’s attorney Rekha Ramjit, instructed by attorney Alvin Pariag Singh, confirmed she had received instructions to initiate proceedings on Ramcharitar’s behalf.

She said by Monday she would issue a pre-action protocol letter to the Attorney General’s office and the two officers signalling her intention to take legal action on Ramcharitar’s behalf. “We are exercising his right to take action against the Government because the police officers are servants of the Government and he has the right to sue them. The pre-action protocol letter is the first aspect of that (course of action),” Ramjit said.

She said if the officers were charged that criminal matter would have no impact on the civil proceedings being initiated by Ramcharitar. “They are two separate matters. The State can charge the officers, but the civil action for the assault and battery and humiliation that he was subjected to is a separate (legal) action,” she said. Ramjit said Ramcharitar remained a patient at the San Fernando General Hospital.

She gave the assurance that the wheelchair-bound man was not seeking protective custody. “The San Fernando General Hospital is not the safest of places, but we have no reason to believe that the officers are going to do anything further or untoward. We would not be going down that road at this point in time (to seek protective custody),” Ramjit added.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:38:04 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2015, 06:42:04 AM »
DPP: Female cop in wheelchair incident must face court
By Rickie Ramdass (Express).

CHARGE HER

DIRECTOR of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard last night gave the green light to offi­cers of the Professional Stan­dards Bureau to lay two criminal charges against the female Special Reserve Police (SRP) officer who was involved in an incident last Saturday that was captured on video, which showed the offi­cer vigorously pushing Robbie Ramcharitar in a wheelchair down High Street, San Fernando, in oncoming traffic.

The officer was charged around 8.30 p.m. with causing mali­cious damage and assault by beating. Her male counterpart, who was seen slapping Ramcharitar

to the face and head, is to be placed on an identification parade today at a police station in the Southern Division before any move is made for charges to be laid against him.

If he is pointed out during the parade by Ramcharitar, he is to be charged with misbehaviour in public office.

Public relations officer with the Police Service Supt Joanne Archie confirmed last night that Gaspard gave the directive to charge the WPC but stated the charge had not been laid up to 8 p.m. She said if the male officer is pointed out during the identification parade today, they “may both be charged together”.

Earlier yesterday, both officers were again interviewed by Professional Standards Bureau officers in Port of Spain. Following the completion of the interview, the officers met with Gaspard sometime around 6.30 p.m. after which the directions were given.

Other police sources said if the officers are charged today, it is possible they may be granted bail by a Justice of the Peace at the police station and be made to appear in the San Fernando Magistrates’ Court on Monday. “If they are charged, I doubt that they will be kept in custody over the entire weekend,” the source said.

The video footage, which was captured along High Street, San Fernando, showed 46-year-old Ramcharitar, a paraplegic having his wheelchair pushed down the roadway in traffic by a uniformed female officer. “If you think you mad, I more mad,” the officer was heard saying. The chair later came to a stop after it made contact with the side of a parked white car.

Ramcharitar was then urged by the man filming the video to “drive back up the road.” It was after doing so that Ramcharitar was approached by the male officer, dressed in civilian wear, who slapped him across the face and head three times.

The video went viral on Facebook resulting in many expressing outrage over the incident, with some citizens calling for the immediate dismissal of the officers, who were both last attached to the Mon Repos Police Station in San Fernando. Several vendors and store employees who said they witnessed the incident said Ramcharitar was spitting and using obscene language and racial slurs to passers-by, and he appeared intoxicated before the officers became involved.

Following the release of the video, acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams ordered an immediate investigation into the incident. The officers were instructed to cease duties pending the outcome of the criminal charges.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »
De owner of that car that geh hit keeping quiet?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »
Wheelchair-bound paraplegic Robby Ramcharitar says he will be initiating legal action against the State, even though charges are to be laid against the two officers accused of abusing him last week.  Ramcharitar’s attorney Rekha Ramjit, instructed by attorney Alvin Pariag Singh, confirmed she had received instructions to initiate proceedings on Ramcharitar’s behalf.

Ah a lil cynical regarding this. Follow de $?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
Not sure what the WPC is being charged with... perhaps the local equivalent of "reckless endangerment."  Unless there's damage to the vehicle in question then there's no need for the owner to come forward.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »
Fuad: Normal people don’t behave like that
By Anna Ramdass (Express).

SEND HIM TO ST ANN’S

Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan has instructed that wheelchair user Robbie Ramcharitar be sent to the St Ann’s Hospital for psychiatric evaluation and treatment.

Ramcharitar has received national attention over the past week after an unidentified 17-year-old filmed an incident on his cellphone on December 27 last year where two Special Reserve Police (SRP) officers allegedly struck the man and pushed him in his wheelchair down High Street, San Fernando.

The video footage, which was posted on Facebook, showed a uni­formed woman officer pushing Ramcharitar’s wheelchair down a roadway.

It also showed a male plainclothes officer allegedly slapping Ramcha­ri­tar three times across his head and face.

The video went viral on Facebook, resulting in many people expressing outrage over the incident, with some citizens calling for the immediate dismissal of the officers, who were both last attached to the Mon Repos Police Station in San Fernando.

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard has instruc­ted officers of the Professional Stan­dards Bureau to lay two criminal charges against the woman officer.

Witnesses to the incident claim Ramcharitar was verbally abusive to the officers and others people.

Ramcharitar has denied this, saying he told the woman officer: “I love you.”

Speaking to the Sunday Express by phone, Khan said Ramcharitar’s behaviour was cause for concern and also the fact he has been practically living at the San Fernando General Hospital for months.

Ramcharitar had admitted he was homeless and staying at the hospital.

He also said he left the hospital to go to High Street to buy presents for the nurses.

Khan said it was unacceptable an acute patient bed was being utilised by someone who does not warrant it when there were others in need.

He also said he was very con­cerned and alarmed Ramcharitar was being allowed to come and go from the hospital as he pleases as though it were a hotel.

Asked why he instructed Ram­charitar be taken to St Ann’s, Khan said: “The way he was behaving as seen in the video, normal people don’t behave like that in the presence of police officers.”

“I’m extremely concerned that someone can go on a ward and occupy a bed for months when there is a problem for beds,” said Khan.

The minister said 30 to 40 per cent of beds are being utilised by peo­-

ple who do not require acute care.

“I am also extremely concerned that a patient can come and go as he pleases, go shopping.... I want to ask those in charge why this is happening. Why is such a thing being allowed?” said Khan.

“It is disheartening that such a situation has occurred. It is very selfish of these people’s families to put this burden on the hospital and be denying ailing people beds.”

“(Ramcharitar) is denying very sick people the use of a bed. He needs to be clinically assessed for his own good,” said Khan.

The Sunday Express understands Ramcharitar was supposed to be taken to the St Ann’s Hospital last night or today.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #236 on: January 04, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
I always thought police brutality was allowed in T&T, I remember men getting real licks from police and no one did anything.

;D

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
I always thought police brutality was allowed in T&T, I remember men getting real licks from police and no one did anything.

;D

It wasn't so much allowed but tolerated as long as the recipients were from certain socioeconomic groups and areas such that no one would ever take their word over that of a lawman. Also that was a day and age before cell phones and social media. If nobody made that video yuh think the media or Griffith woulda pay any attention to that man complaint.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »

SEND HIM TO ST ANN’S

The Sunday Express understands Ramcharitar was supposed to be taken to the St Ann’s Hospital last night or today.

What a backwards shit hole of a place, where one man can diagnose another as having a mental illness from simply observing him on film.   “The way he was behaving as seen in the video, normal people don’t behave like that in the presence of police officers.”

Yuh mean de way he head whip around when he get slap and how he just stay quiet and helpless in face of the assault?  That is exactly how normal people does behave because f**king kakaholes like Fuad Khan to focused on peripheral, irrelevant shit to address what is really wrong with the country.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »

SEND HIM TO ST ANN’S

What a backwards shit hole of a place, where one man can diagnose another as having a mental illness from simply observing him on film.   “The way he was behaving as seen in the video, normal people don’t behave like that in the presence of police officers.”

Yuh mean de way he head whip around when he get slap and how he just stay quiet and helpless in face of the assault?  That is exactly how normal people does behave because f**king kakaholes like Fuad Khan to focused on peripheral, irrelevant shit to address what is really wrong with the country.

Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan is a qualified vet; he is not a qualified doctor for assessing the health of human beings and should never have been appointed Minister of Health by our PM unless they view the general population on the same level as animals.

At any rate based on Fuad Khan's own assertion of abnormal behaviour the whole PPG including himself also need to visit St Ann's for mental assessment.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:24:34 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>