March 28, 2024, 04:54:27 PM

Author Topic: Seven families evicted from Malick homes  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seven families evicted from Malick homes
« on: February 08, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »
Seven families evicted from Malick homes

Gyasi Gonzales ggonzales@trinidadexpress.com
Friday, February 9th 2007

THE Housing Development Corporation's eviction of seven Sixth Avenue, Malick, tenants for non-payment of rent yesterday ended with the the residents protesting in front of the corporation's South Quay, Port of Spain office.

The seven families, including Yvette Simon, her three sons and two daughters were served notices indicating that they owed the HDC more than $10,000 in outstanding rent.

The rents for the varying homes are between $150 to $200 a month.

Around 11 a.m., HDC officials and heavily armed police officers descended on Simon's home.

After telling her to gather her valuables, they began moving out her items.

Lesley John, communications manager at the HDC said that the company's eviction exercise began this week.

"Eviction is the final step in a long process," she said.

Tenants were given three letters each about 14 days to a month apart during which they were invited to visit the company, explain their situation and work out a solution.

"We usually tend to work on a case by case basis where we sit with the tenants and work out a payment plan and out of the HDC's 9,000 tenants only a small number are issued notices of arrears and even a smaller number refuse to reply to any of the letters."

John said: "The average arrears is over $10,000 which means that some tenants had not paid their rent in the last seven years. The monthly rent is $150 a month, about $4 a day. That's less than a bottle of water."

Last month Opposition leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar told residents the HDC was planning to construct several high-rise apartments in the area.

Housing Minister Dr Keith Rowley met with the residents urging them not to listen to the Opposition, and saying that when the apartments were completed they would be allowed back in.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Seven families evicted from Malick homes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:09:05 AM »
So lets see.......200 a month....and ppl in arrears fuh 10,000? And when dey protesting on news last nite....yuh seeing people in some fresh crisp clothes and ting. So leh me hear.....who being unfair now? Is one ting to be behind by 200 to 1000....i could feel sympathy for that.....buh 10 grand? Nah man....dahs slackness.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:11:57 AM »
Trow them the f**k out  :rotfl: ,steupps.Them had it too nice they spoil .

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 09:30:07 AM »
So lets see.......200 a month....and ppl in arrears fuh 10,000? And when dey protesting on news last nite....yuh seeing people in some fresh crisp clothes and ting. So leh me hear.....who being unfair now? Is one ting to be behind by 200 to 1000....i could feel sympathy for that.....buh 10 grand? Nah man....dahs slackness.

Ah have tuh agree wid yuh on dat.  $200 ah month in dis day an age is practically free.  Dat is pure advantage.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
tough shit for them..they have it next to nothing and still cant show some responsibility and pay occasionally..and i sure it have more than them too..i know people in Pleasantville who never even pay rent lol
i feel they fall out with somebody and they get reported though lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
Fackin poor-greats
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 10:43:08 AM »
Dey evicted yet ???
200$ is plenty compare to those who live not to far from NIPDEC carpark east of Independence Square. (ah cyah remember the name of that housing settlement) but their rent as of 2004 is 50$.  And i'm sure that some owing thousands, but ask them for a cellphone number they would ask you from which cellphone.

Since ah know myself they trying to evict those living in the apartments opposite South East Secondary (cyah remember what road dat is in town). Every PNM and NAR government pass they try. Is only UNC didn't touch that sore because people woulda start to bawl racism.

My little problem is, evicting them to go where ???
And if you notice also, is the famlies with the 6 and 7 bareback children in...

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 10:56:17 AM »
Dey evicted yet ???
200$ is plenty compare to those who live not to far from NIPDEC carpark east of Independence Square. (ah cyah remember the name of that housing settlement) but their rent as of 2004 is 50$.  And i'm sure that some owing thousands, but ask them for a cellphone number they would ask you from which cellphone.

Since ah know myself they trying to evict those living in the apartments opposite South East Secondary (cyah remember what road dat is in town). Every PNM and NAR government pass they try. Is only UNC didn't touch that sore because people woulda start to bawl racism.

please eh cana
half ah dem people have 1000 dolloar shoes ond ey foot n real gold blinging. unfortunantely the needy will pay also...

Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 05:52:31 PM »
Dey evicted yet ???

please eh cana
half ah dem people have 1000 dolloar shoes ond ey foot n real gold blinging. unfortunantely the needy will pay also...

what you mean please eh ???
read my last 2 lines again...
me ain't studying dey bling and blingets ya know...is dey single woman dat pregnant wid 6 children under the age of 7 trying to make ends meet by she self. Dey man who promise she dey sky either with someone else, jail or dead. Where she going with dem children ? She put dem in St Judes for Boys or dey Orphanage in Tagarigua - who minding dem now, you and dey government ???

Yes I agree to clean up shop and evict dey delinquent ones, but is there a backup plan for those who just don't have anywhere to go ? There will be more street children..watch >:(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 05:54:49 PM by Judge Ju-C »

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:43:36 AM »
Dey evicted yet ???

Yuh know Cana, in some sense ah understand what yuh saying about single mother with 6 and 7 children etc.  but tell meh something...who de arse send dem tuh make children dey cyar mind?  I could put meh head on ah block dat maybe only 2 ah children have de same father in dem situation.  Now, me eh saying not tuh do yuh lil ting eh.  I eh blocking but what de arse man.  In dis day an age?  Use ah blasted condom.  One is one ting, two ah might still say OK..but when yuh figures going intuh 3 and 4 and more.  When yuh going an take responsibility fuh yuhself?  Yes, we expect government tuh help and ting but at de end ah de day, yuh have tuh buck up and help yuhself too.

Man..ah tell yuh...at de end ah de day, is lack ah responsibility on people part yuh know.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »
Dey evicted yet ???

Yuh know Cana, in some sense ah understand what yuh saying about single mother with 6 and 7 children etc.  but tell meh something...who de arse send dem tuh make children dey cyar mind?  I could put meh head on ah block dat maybe only 2 ah children have de same father in dem situation.  Now, me eh saying not tuh do yuh lil ting eh.  I eh blocking but what de arse man.  In dis day an age?  Use ah blasted condom.  One is one ting, two ah might still say OK..but when yuh figures going intuh 3 and 4 and more.  When yuh going an take responsibility fuh yuhself?  Yes, we expect government tuh help and ting but at de end ah de day, yuh have tuh buck up and help yuhself too.

Man..ah tell yuh...at de end ah de day, is lack ah responsibility on people part yuh know.

Coco you and Hoe have allyuh points and they valid...
But my concern is the children.... Yeah, who dey arse send dem to make all dem children, ah ask mehself that question too. Could it be lack of education, "sweet talk in dey ear", low self esteem  or they just don't give a shit, cause the government go mind dem - who knows, but while we wondering, another child popping out. You, me, Queen and the other women dat in dis forum knows about Family Planning Assoc and what the do....we also know about rape crisis assocation and what they do too. But do we know if they go out into the community and talk to these women or girls ??? 

Okay back to this ting...
I say evict...but where dey going, and they have to make ends meet too right ?
We easy, we living here, but what bout those living home ???

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
diz bullshit, in de plannings on duncan and nelson, man never pay rent for decades, far less a water bill to wasa and no one get evicted, how come dese people gettin evicted, de govt know which line tuh cross...

God is de BOSS...

HAHA :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

yuh feel anybody comming to evict them???

breds courts cyar even repo up morvant. matter of fact de commissioner of police cyar cross dem lines. yuh drunk if yuh think de govt doh fraid morvant
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
diz bullshit, in de plannings on duncan and nelson, man never pay rent for decades, far less a water bill to wasa and no one get evicted, how come dese people gettin evicted, de govt know which line tuh cross...

God is de BOSS...

breds courts cyar even repo up morvant. matter of fact de commissioner of police cyar cross dem lines. yuh drunk if yuh think de govt doh fraid morvant

Doh geh tie-uo with de police and army Morvant.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »

God is de BOSS...

Doh geh tie-uo with de police and army Morvant.

i grow up watching dem police and army move. waste ah time.  men not fit. shooters cyar even hold ah pistol right. drivers cyar navigate at high speeds.

come to kuwait with meh and ah go show yuh how ah army does move

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 07:13:57 PM »

morvant...what is the rules about serving in a next country army after your service done?

Can u serve in a T&T unit down the road if u wanted to?

Just asking cuz I know it have real men/women who serve in the US to go to school.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 08:53:11 PM »
dcs yuh have to wait like 4 years then iz fair game.

but since trini doh war nobody i guess it could be done a little sooner

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
[quote Coco you and Hoe have allyuh points and they valid...
But my concern is the children.... Yeah, who dey arse send dem to make all dem children, ah ask mehself that question too. Could it be lack of education, "sweet talk in dey ear", low self esteem  or they just don't give a shit, cause the government go mind dem - who knows, but while we wondering, another child popping out. You, me, Queen and the other women dat in dis forum knows about Family Planning Assoc and what the do....we also know about rape crisis assocation and what they do too. But do we know if they go out into the community and talk to these women or girls ??? 

Okay back to this ting...
I say evict...but where dey going, and they have to make ends meet too right ?
We easy, we living here, but what bout those living home ???

Cana...God bless you yes because I tink I must be too old and hardened and dis world definitely need people wid compassion.  So ah say, yuh right.  Whey dey going.  so maybe eviction is not de answer but leffing dem dey tuh live fuh free is not de answer either.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 09:59:53 AM »
well i watch the news on cnc3 lastnight(thnak trinitv.net)  and it seems that the hdc been asking them people for months to pay up, then when they get notice , braps they showing up with 4000 pluss suddenly. wey it was all de time especially when u rent is between 150 and 200 a month. dais a give away in any country. ok granted putting poeple with kids onm de st is harsh, when i see people who dressed in clothe si cyah afford saying they have 6 chidlren to mind. i does hadda wonder  ??? ??? ???
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 11:01:57 AM »
it have ah debt collector agencies or companies in Trinidad ???
ah doh even know...steups

i'm sure all dey deliquent ones have a bank account, a ID card even ah driver license.
ah want to think that trinidad reached the stage of direct deposit in your bank.
the majority of the said deliquent ones salary cheque goes into dey bank.

since is apartment buildings,  dey manager/landlord have ya information on file.
debt collector come in front your door - sir ya owe the government 3,000 etc. Your payments of 300 ah month will be collected monthly via monthly deductions from your bank account. If ya find dat too much, den come to dey Ministery of housing and development to discuss further.

infact for safety purposes only ya doh need to show up...jus send ah letter

goverment getting dey money one way or dey other.

over here and allyuh living in canada go agree with me, your social security number is the only thing between you and dey government knowing all ya business. Dey know every transaction and place of travel jus by dem 9 numbers.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:20:18 AM by Judge Ju-C »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 11:13:04 AM »

i'm sure all dey deliquent ones have a bank account, a ID card even ah driver license.
ah want to think that trinidad reached the stage of direct deposit in your bank.

since is apartment buildings,  dey manager/landlord have ya information on file.
debt collector come in front your door - sir ya owe the government 3,000 etc. Your payments of 300 ah month will be collected monthly via monthly deductions from your bank account. If ya find dat too much, den come to dey Ministery of housing and development to discuss further.

over here and allyuh living in canada go agree with me, your social security number is the only thing between you and dey government knowing all ya business. Dey know every transaction and place of travel jus by dem 6 numbers.

lawd, judge ju-c how old you is? my number is 9 digits.  ;D

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »
okay 9 ah sorry  :'(
meh thumb was blockin dey oder 3

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »

What government collecting money from them for?  Dat is sure votes.

Pursuit of Happyness.  The man had a child and got evicted....had to go to homeless shelters and even sleep in the train station one night.  The  child could have been taken away from him and put in a foster home if that went on for long and child services found out.

If they are put out most of them will end up by family or find a way to pay the rent.  Worse case is that the children are taken away from the mother.  What we have in place for displaced children......well I not sure how good we are with that.

Anyway...they not likely to start evicting people or even collecting money unless it suit them as leverage.  It will continue for a long time to come.  Vulnerable people are easy prey for politicians.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »

over here and allyuh living in canada go agree with me, your social security number is the only thing between you and dey government knowing all ya business. Dey know every transaction and place of travel jus by dem 9 numbers.

Yeah..but like I said in another thread, Trinidad like tuh follow fashion of North America when it come tuh clothes and car and dem ting but not when it come tuh developing good infrastructure.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 12:07:21 AM »
Trinidad Guardian
Tuesday 6th February, 2007
Suffer the children

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 01:17:37 AM »
 De same govt who evict dem is de same to blame.
For years de people ent pay de 200 $ an nobody bother with dem, now is 10,000$ an yuh expect man to find it jus because you ready for it, dais why bandit running de streets now.
De reasonable thing to do woulda to give dem some sort of debt forgiveness and start over again, ent Lenny Saith get 30 million forgive.
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>