April 25, 2024, 04:46:12 PM

Author Topic: Riquelme back to Boca  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Riquelme back to Boca
« on: February 09, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »
Villarreal CF have allowed midfielder Juan Román Riquelme to join Argentinian side CA Boca Juniors on loan for the remainder of the season.

Back to Boca
The 28-year-old won six titles with Boca between 1998 and 2001 before moving to Spain to join FC Barcelona, where he scored three goals in 30 league games. He arrived at Villarreal in 2002, scoring 36 goals in 106 games for the Yellow Submarine and helping reach last season's UEFA Champions League semi-finals where he missed a vital penalty in the aggregate defeat by Arsenal FC.

In the stands
The Argentinian's contract with Villarreal is due to expire in 2009 but disputes with coach Manuel Pellegrini have seen the player watching his side's last eight matches from the stands. This season, Riquelme has played 13 league games and scored once. Villarreal are tenth in the Primera División table with 29 points.

©uefa.com 1998-2007. All rights reserved.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Riquelme back to Boca
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »
What is this dispute with Pelligrini all about? Hmm. Well I gald for Boca...big big side. Let's see if Riquelme could pull a Veron and get back to being a playmaking general in his homeland (I cyah believe I just wrote dat, fus I hate Veron)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Riquelme set for return to national service against Spain
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:36:43 AM »
Riquelme set for return to national service against Spain

By Gordon Tynan

Tuesday, 17 August 2010

Juan Roman Riquelme, who had a falling out with former Argentina coach Diego Maradona that saw him banished from the side, could return to the national team under interim coach Sergio Batista.

Batista has said that he would like to see the playmaker team up with Barcelona forward Lionel Messi. The two played together to win the gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"It would be good to have Riquelme and Messi playing together," Batista said. "We had them together in the Olympics and it went well."

Batista also suggested he might recall Internazionale teammates Javier Zanetti and Esteban Cambiasso, who were left out of the World Cup squad by Maradona.

The 32-year-old Riquelme quit the national team 17 months ago in a spat with Maradona, who criticised Riquelme's play at Boca Juniors and said he would be of no use to the national team. Riquelme is still recovering from left knee surgery and has yet to play a match for Boca Juniors, which has only one point in its first two matches.

Batista won last week in his debut as national team coach, defeating the Republic of Ireland 1-0, and will get his second chance in Buenos Aires on 7 September against the world champions Spain.

...ah jumpin up to de ceilin ....what ah wonderful feelin ....

is ah real test for Riqui dey sah ..The world champions fielding many of his former teammates at Barcelona and who would surely remember his ochestrating a 3-0 victory against them for Villareal ... I looking to check flights yes ! hope he recovers in time to take his place as conductor ...Enganche !

Ah done have a place to stay ...just hoping de money tree bear someting dis rounds !!  have to see Riquelme play live ...at least once and vs Spain ..well ah kyah get it better .
A wonder if ah could get Palos to make de trip ?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Riquelme set for return to national service against Spain
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »
Boca Juniors striker Martin Palermo argued that Lionel Messi could never carry Argentina in the way Diego Maradona did in 1986 and 1990, before adding that he was upset by Messi's recent praise of interim Albiceleste coach Sergio Batista.

Palermo spent two months with 'La Pulga' as part of Maradona's World Cup squad, which went out at the quarter-final stage, and got to know each other very well over that period. And Palermo, while insisting that Messi is the best player in the world, believes that he does not have the strength of character that 'El Diego' possessed to drive Argentina to two successive World Cup finals.

"Messi is not Maradona. For me Messi does not have Maradona's mentality. He is not equipped to carry the team on his shoulders, or to assume the role of conductor, and he is not going to be because he is used to the Barcelona system," Palermo stated earlier today in a frank interview with El Show de Futbol.

"Lio has been raised in a different way, he has lived through distinct experiences. He has lived since the age of 12 in Barcelona, do you know what Diego had to live through,” the striker added, referring to his Boca idol's upbringing in a notorious Buenos Aires shanty town.

Palermo also admitted that the playmaker's comments after the Ireland game, when he claimed he felt as comfortable in Batista's Albiceleste team as in Barcelona, hurt him and were designed as a barb against his former Seleccion coach.

"In truth, we are trying not to pay him too much attention. With Messi we had some very strong moments. Diego had a very special bond with him, I believe that it hurts more from a human side than a football one. Diego treated him like a son.”

And moving from one number 10 to another, Palermo finished by talking about Boca team-mate Juan Roman Riquelme - with whom Palermo has a chilly relationship, to the point where it is said the pair hardly exchange a word outside of football matters.

"Roman is a player with great experience, who knows what it means to play here and who with just one action can leave you one-on-one with the goalkeeper, which is what we need,” the 36-year-old stated, also revealing that the pair had said hello following Riquelme renewing his contract with the club.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:03:35 AM »
all yuh really good yes ..all yuh merge news about Riquelme possibly playing again for argentina vs the world champions after 17 months in isolation with a 2007 thread of him returning to Boca from Villareal ?
like de elevator en reaching de top again ???

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:24:27 PM »
I feel is a lil bot running that merging threads using a dictionary.

If Title Contains "Riquelme" Then Merge
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
I feel is a lil bot running that merging threads using a dictionary.

If Title Contains "Riquelme" Then Merge

Cant argue with you here ....
if however anyone can explain the logic in this merge in any other way I will surely appreciate it. I however feel I wont see anything  more about this .

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
Juan Roman minutes ago just scored an equalizing free kick that left the GK motionless! What made the kick even more special was the pre-kick dramatics involving the wall etc. ... yet, he held his concentration. Boca-River in progress. Might be his last clasico.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/143e1tXZbtQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/143e1tXZbtQ</a>

Watch the magic from about 2:00:50 ... Commentator: "Boca vive en la mano de su símbolo."

Ah probably will have to change the link eventually.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:29:31 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3_QfSQAqGg4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3_QfSQAqGg4</a>

To put it all in perspective ... the mechanics.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
I see Veron still playing for Estudiantes last Saturday.

1]; } ?>