April 26, 2024, 11:25:24 PM

Author Topic: Jamaican reggae artistes featuring in our soca...  (Read 4574 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Jamaican reggae artistes featuring in our soca...
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:43:21 AM »
Ok...

I see elephant man jump in featuring on a song with Shurwayne Winchester...

I see Beenie man jump in on a song with kmc...

I see Vybez Kartel jump in on a song with Machel...

Plus Dr. Evil and a few others have some tracks floating.....

To me they not really adding anything to our music and not really interested in the soca music genre per se, rather than just taking a ride on de carnival wave... Sometimes, they dont even really take the time to compose new lyrics, they just drop in a verse from a previous song and call it a remix (eg nookie remix with elephant man)... yet we welcome them all with open arms...

Even the most obscure jamaican reggae singer like a nooks man or jah lightning can come here and get a gig down south or something but our soca artistes are rarely welcome over in jamrock... we music gets no airplay over there, they not on that..  you think sugar aloes or cro cro could go sing a concert over there?? yet they coming trinidad to take a bly...

just wondering what are your views on this??

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaican reggae artistes featuring in our soca...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 09:06:06 AM »
it's all about demand and supply....people want to see dem in trinidad or else they would not get a gig.....I share the same sentiments that you do.....but unfortunately the reality is that a lot trini people rather dub/reggae......we embrace the reggae culture so much that we now have local reggae artists......what a ting....

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
i see this tread GETTING AH T.I response......
 :devil: :devil: :devil:
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:12:50 AM »
Ok...

To me they not really adding anything to our music and not really interested in the soca music genre per se, rather than just taking a ride on de carnival wave... Sometimes, they dont even really take the time to compose new lyrics, they just drop in a verse from a previous song and call it a remix (eg nookie remix with elephant man)... yet we welcome them all with open arms...

Even the most obscure jamaican reggae singer like a nooks man or jah lightning can come here and get a gig down south or something but our soca artistes are rarely welcome over in jamrock... we music gets no airplay over there, they not on that.. you think sugar aloes or cro cro could go sing a concert over there?? yet they coming trinidad to take a bly...

2 words, Identity Crisis, i grow up around yardmen my whole life, ah eat with dem, lime, fight wit dem, date dey woman a few times, debate wit dem and have some real good padnahs who are hard core yardmen, straight from spanish town, country, rima, jungle, trench, de women love we music, de men not fond of it atall, only de older heads in ja,dey love de old calypso, it was real groove, dey love dat, not dis jump up shit we have now year round, byron lee portrayed an image that carnival was for the rich, when it was de total opposite in tt, now de youths gettin a taste of what real tt carnival and music coem from, so dey starting 2 identify, gettin educated about we culture, however we dont need tuh blend we music bc it is much more complex than reggae, dis generation lost, dey need 2 go back to history and start from there.. :beermug:

God is de BOSS...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
we music gets no airplay over there, they not on that..  you think sugar aloes or cro cro could go sing a concert over there?? yet they coming trinidad to take a bly...

nothing eh stopping cro cro and sugar aloes from holding a concert over there ....

allison hinds ,rupee and  kevin lyttle dem  song get rotation  depends on the type of soca  music ...  a friend ah mines was there on vaction 2 years back told me turn me on was a huge hit there that all yuh was hearing.....

oH and TI  what's wrong with doing a collabotaion with other artist
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:12:14 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
Ok...

Even the most obscure jamaican reggae singer like a nooks man or jah lightning can come here and get a gig down south or something but our soca artistes are rarely welcome over in jamrock... we music gets no airplay over there, they not on that.. you think sugar aloes or cro cro could go sing a concert over there?? yet they coming trinidad to take a bly...

2 words, Identity Crisis, i grow up around yardmen my whole life, ah eat with dem, lime, fight wit dem, date dey woman a few times, debate wit dem and have some real good padnahs who are hard core yardmen, straight from spanish town, country, rima, jungle, trench, de women love we music, de men not fond of it atall, only de older heads in ja,dey love de old calypso, it was real groove, dey love dat, not dis jump up shit we have now year round, byron lee portrayed an image that carnival was for the rich, when it was de total opposite in tt, now de youths gettin a taste of what real tt carnival and music coem from, so dey starting 2 identify, gettin educated about we culture, however we dont need tuh blend we music bc it is much more complex than reggae, dis generation lost, dey need 2 go back to history and start from there.. :beermug:

God is de BOSS...

I agree with most of that post except for much more complex than reggae part. Lol. Keep fooling yourself.

Let me give u the breakup(we no deal with down) from our(Jamaican) Point of View. First of all, our cultures are not as alike as many of us thought it was.  For instance, Soca embrace the freaky bedroom acts(Oral sex:see Biting insects, u get accused bout Anal, but I have yet to see or hear proof) that is a No-No out here in JA. I saw a highlight thing on TV and it show Machel toungin out his two fingers while staring at a female in the crowd. If u know anything about Jamaica, you know we strongly against that kinda thing. Anyhow a JA artiste do anything like that he would swallow bottles.

Soca in general is not all taboo in Jamaica as the richer(Uptown) folks gravitate towards it. If Machel come out here the uptown peeps would prolly endorse his concerts and whatnot. However, u wont find middle class to ghetto peeps(like miself) goin to a Machel concert so the overall turnout wouldn't be that huge. Soca artistes from elsewhere in the Carib(Barbados especially) can probably full a venue. Tempted to touch, Roll it gyal and Turn me On were Huuuge soca hits out here. The way I see it, Barbados take away soca from Trini and they run it now(artiste like that winchester bredda, Allison Kevin Lyttle are fairly well-known out here.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
Ok...

God is de BOSS...

Yuh post was goin real good until dat point...yuh doh have to show your jamaica tabanca in every post, TI :beermug:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 03:08:47 PM »

Let me give u the breakup(we no deal with down) from our(Jamaican) Point of View. First of all, our cultures are not as alike as many of us thought it was.  For instance, Soca embrace the freaky bedroom acts

(So yuh sayin yard man boring dem gyul in bed or wha?  allyuh like mormons? stick to the misssionary position,,3 pump and shake she hands for a good time.....hear wuh,,.spread de word to de yardfowl dem,,,woman like]freaky in de bed)

. I saw a highlight thing on TV and it show Machel toungin out his two fingers while staring at a female in the crowd. If u know anything about Jamaica, you know we strongly against that kinda thing. Anyhow a JA artiste do anything like that he would swallow bottles.

(Keep in mind is not de gyal who go be peltin bottle...besides "unno" fellahs does only be on dem vibes in public...doh get it twisted
In private yard man does nyam...man who do naym eh go have dat woman too long...dem fellahs does be so frustrated dey does go to concert to pelt bottle)

Tempted to touch, Roll it gyal and Turn me On were Huuuge soca hits out here. The way I see it, Barbados take away soca from Trini and they run it now(artiste like that winchester bredda, Allison Kevin Lyttle are fairly well-known out here.

(Breds, Tempted to touch and Turn me on was "huuuge" hits in places like hungary and greece...dem people know as much about soca talent as 'unno'...meaning nothing
de equivalent of dat is somebody saying that 'walking on the moon by' the police is a good dancehall tune)

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 03:23:34 PM »

Let me give u the breakup(we no deal with down) from our(Jamaican) Point of View. First of all, our cultures are not as alike as many of us thought it was.  For instance, Soca embrace the freaky bedroom acts

(So yuh sayin yard man boring dem gyul in bed or wha?  allyuh like mormons? stick to the misssionary position,,3 pump and shake she hands for a good time.....hear wuh,,.spread de word to de yardfowl dem,,,woman like]freaky in de bed)

. I saw a highlight thing on TV and it show Machel toungin out his two fingers while staring at a female in the crowd. If u know anything about Jamaica, you know we strongly against that kinda thing. Anyhow a JA artiste do anything like that he would swallow bottles.

(Keep in mind is not de gyal who go be peltin bottle...besides "unno" fellahs does only be on dem vibes in public...doh get it twisted
In private yard man does nyam...man who do naym eh go have dat woman too long...dem fellahs does be so frustrated dey does go to concert to pelt bottle)

Tempted to touch, Roll it gyal and Turn me On were Huuuge soca hits out here. The way I see it, Barbados take away soca from Trini and they run it now(artiste like that winchester bredda, Allison Kevin Lyttle are fairly well-known out here.

(Breds, Tempted to touch and Turn me on was "huuuge" hits in places like hungary and greece...dem people know as much about soca talent as 'unno'...meaning nothing
de equivalent of dat is somebody saying that 'walking on the moon by' the police is a good dancehall tune)

Bredda, thats just how it is out here and btw how u know every man out here a eat. Lol @ u with ur silly ASSumptions. Not because u hear bout the few ppl dat do it u know bout the whole country. Don't believe everything u hear. That Bowing(oral sex) is rich, uptown ppl ting. Ghetto ppl dont participate in dat shyt and is Ghetto rule the music out here. Plus, we dont need to eat cause the weed and Baba Roots we drink mek us able fi run marathon pon gyal. No need for bowin down. U Trinis should try baba & weed, then ur women wouldn't have to come to JA man fi hot wuk. Why u think we have so much tourist? Woman fly from all over the world fi anaconda.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »
Paw yuh bawl ghetto peeps like yourself dont listen to soca but you know our artist  ;D i know yuh bredring does put in to CD now and again......   when ah was younger and i used to listen to  them stone love , travellers cassette i heard stone love promoting a dance wet wet reggae soca dance in JA.  I think that was a 1997 stone love  oh i used to like to listen to them tapes.  :beermug:...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »
.Why u think we have so much tourist? Woman fly from all over the world fi anaconda.

You mean all the  55 year old widows from Hungary and Greece?...true enuff I did read about your government sponsored 'rent-a-rudebwoy' programme

I sorry to tell you but for the right amount of euros...you would be shocked at what dem boy willin to eat  :o
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
Paw yuh bawl ghetto peeps like yourself dont listen to soca but you know our artist  ;D i know yuh bredring does put in to CD now and again......   when ah was younger and i used to listen to  them stone love , travellers cassette i heard stone love promoting a dance wet wet reggae soca dance in JA.  I think that was a 1997 stone love  oh i used to like to listen to them tapes.  :beermug:...

Well, I am a selector so I got to keep aBREAST with  what goin on in the music world. I play Roll it Gyal,
Tempted to Touch and Turn me on from time to time. Mostly when I run the Hip Hop/R&B segments. I know Machel from I was in high school when he buss the dancehall  Big Fat fish tune on Underwater riddim. Other than that, I don't really know much Soca. Kartel have a new Soca song that ppl talking bout(some making fun of him). He said he did it for Trini carnival, name "wine pon you"on the earthquake riddim. Look out for that.
Smoke and Fly

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 10:51:38 PM »
Allyuh is real kicks..one thing about yardies..they consistent about denying their involvement with certain eating habits.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »
Paw.... tell us...

you ever eat??

i feel you take a nibble of de nuggle you know...

cmon.. not even once???

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 10:27:29 PM »
Paw.... tell us...

you ever eat??

cmon.. not even once???

Yuh mad bredda? Neva! Breast is where my mouth rest. Not cause of what society say but pooms nasty. Blood & piss come out dat. Plus, mi johnny bwoy always up to the task so I dont need to bow to please woman. Bowin is for man that cant please their woman with the tool God specify. I use to bone this chick that have a rich man that use to kill her with tongue but that was all him good for. When mi give har the strength from the Baba Roots and weed she neva stop bother me. I remember when I hit that in their house. Felt like James Bond sneakin in and out. Use to drive her car around too. Those were the days     :(
Smoke and Fly

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »
Ok...

God is de BOSS...

I agree with most of that post except for much more complex than reggae part. Lol. Keep fooling yourself.

Let me give u the breakup(we no deal with down) from our(Jamaican) Point of View. First of all, our cultures are not as alike as many of us thought it was. For instance, Soca embrace the freaky bedroom acts(Oral sex:see Biting insects, u get accused bout Anal, but I have yet to see or hear proof) that is a No-No out here in JA. I saw a highlight thing on TV and it show Machel toungin out his two fingers while staring at a female in the crowd. If u know anything about Jamaica, you know we strongly against that kinda thing. Anyhow a JA artiste do anything like that he would swallow bottles.

Soca in general is not all taboo in Jamaica as the richer(Uptown) folks gravitate towards it. If Machel come out here the uptown peeps would prolly endorse his concerts and whatnot. However, u wont find middle class to ghetto peeps(like miself) goin to a Machel concert so the overall turnout wouldn't be that huge. Soca artistes from elsewhere in the Carib(Barbados especially) can probably full a venue. Tempted to touch, Roll it gyal and Turn me On were Huuuge soca hits out here. The way I see it, Barbados take away soca from Trini and they run it now(artiste like that winchester bredda, Allison Kevin Lyttle are fairly well-known out here.

family, machel not looked upon highly in de ghetto in trinidad, most fellahs look at him as a bullahman for the most part, yea man does jump up 2 de music now and then, wine on a ting but de real carnival feeling is from de ghetto, steelpan, kaiso, ex-tempo, j'ouvert, calypso king and queen, talk tent, the comedy in de calypso tents and of course the political and world commentary, that has been goin on for over 70 years or more in tt, what i could say is dat in de ghetto in tt we do play alot of culture and conscious not bc we playing yardman but bc de message relates to the situation in de ghetto, but we also play every type of music, its not uncommon to hear sundar popo, sunnyman and adesh bess chutney songs played in de ghetto.  where me and u disagree breddah is dat i dont feel we need to blend we music bc we always had conscious calypso in trinidad, listen to calypso king breddah and ull hear my point and also our music is rich also...
God is de BOSS...

except fuh dat sunnyman song in 1996  carnival i  cannot recall any type chutney music being played .......... around parts of port of spain ...... dey even pelt sonny man at the soca monarch with that song ....... yuh tongue slipping
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:32:10 PM by triniman »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 01:03:33 PM »
Ok...

God is de BOSS...

Let me give u the breakup(we no deal with down) from our(Jamaican) Point of View. First of all, our cultures are not as alike as many of us thought it was. For instance, Soca embrace the freaky bedroom acts(Oral sex:see Biting insects, u get accused bout Anal, but I have yet to see or hear proof) that is a No-No out here in JA. I saw a highlight thing on TV and it show Machel toungin out his two fingers while staring at a female in the crowd. If u know anything about Jamaica, you know we strongly against that kinda thing. Anyhow a JA artiste do anything like that he would swallow bottles.

family, machel not looked upon highly in de ghetto in trinidad, most fellahs look at him as a bullahman for the most part, yea man does jump up 2 de music now and then, wine on a ting but de real carnival feeling is from de ghetto, steelpan, kaiso, ex-tempo, j'ouvert, calypso king and queen, talk tent, the comedy in de calypso tents and of course the political and world commentary, that has been goin on for over 70 years or more in tt, what i could say is dat in de ghetto in tt we do play alot of culture and conscious not bc we playing yardman but bc de message relates to the situation in de ghetto, but we also play every type of music, its not uncommon to hear sundar popo, sunnyman and adesh bess chutney songs played in de ghetto.  where me and u disagree breddah is dat i dont feel we need to blend we music bc we always had conscious calypso in trinidad, listen to calypso king breddah and ull hear my point and also our music is rich also...
God is de BOSS...

except fuh dat sunnyman song in 1996 carnival i recall any type chutney music being played .......... around parts of port of spain ...... dey even pelt sonny man at the soca monarch with that song ....... yuh tongue slipping

dey pelt him bc he sang de song twice, he sang it de year before and came again and sing it, diz why, it wasnt any racist ting or dat dey didnt like de song...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »
i neva say it was a  racist thing all i say is they pelt him for some reason and that was in 1996 the same year he sang it. .....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »
Paw.... tell us...

you ever eat??

cmon.. not even once???

Yuh mad bredda? Neva! Breast is where my mouth rest. Not cause of what society say but pooms nasty. Blood & piss come out dat. Plus, mi johnny bwoy always up to the task so I dont need to bow to please woman. Bowin is for man that cant please their woman with the tool God specify. I use to bone this chick that have a rich man that use to kill her with tongue but that was all him good for. When mi give har the strength from the Baba Roots and weed she neva stop bother me. I remember when I hit that in their house. Felt like James Bond sneakin in and out. Use to drive her car around too. Those were the days     :(

i ask just to hear de reaction...

but everybody know is men like you who does come and bump dey gum big big so is de biggest biters around...

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
The way I see it, Barbados take away soca from Trini and they run it now(artiste like that winchester bredda, Allison Kevin Lyttle are fairly well-known out here.

You have got to be kidding right? Kevin Lyttle ain't have a hit since 2001

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »
leggo de f**kery..from small allyuh know striaght dubb a play innah Trinidad .. is only during carnival yu hear soca ..during xmas yu hear parang , during diwali yu hear bhajan .. but all thru is reggae , from small it go so ..  I memba when I moved back to Trinidad I was suprise to hear Dubb(dancehall reggae)  all over de place, in cars, in maxi , in school bus, in church ..all bout..so there is nuthin wrong wid a lil mix up now,  reggae been in TNT from long time... nuthin new, so doh act like allyuh feal it strange to hear raggasoca..
soca sound a lot better now than 10-12 years ago when all dey use to talk bout is Jump and wave.. now is lyrics..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
war..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 02:38:30 PM »
Ok...

God is de BOSS...

one ting u should also notice is the artists that from the ghettos of port of spain dont sing ragga soca and sound and talk like yard, rudder, shadow, destra, de fosto, 3 canal, brother resistance, all hail from the east dry river, sparrow also, none of which have followed the line of the new soca artists, bunji from arima, iwer,naya, from point, maximus from carenage, slaughter from diego ah believe, de only ragga soca artist i could recall from the east dry river is general grant... its a trend i believe, many artists outside de ghettos of port of spain dont sing the roots of we music, calypso, kaiso and so on in our native tongue..

God is de BOSS...

he from Point Fortin breds  :beermug:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
Really I tought he from omera rd Arima .

TrinInfinite

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 11:26:23 PM »
Ok...

God is de BOSS...

one ting u should also notice is the artists that from the ghettos of port of spain dont sing ragga soca and sound and talk like yard, rudder, shadow, destra, de fosto, 3 canal, brother resistance, all hail from the east dry river, sparrow also, none of which have followed the line of the new soca artists, bunji from arima, iwer,naya, from point, maximus from carenage, slaughter from diego ah believe, de only ragga soca artist i could recall from the east dry river is general grant... its a trend i believe, many artists outside de ghettos of port of spain dont sing the roots of we music, calypso, kaiso and so on in our native tongue..

God is de BOSS...

he from Point Fortin breds :beermug:

dats strange, bc i does see him around de east dry river constant.. not to mention meh padnahs also does see him all de time, days in a row at dat...

1]; } ?>