April 16, 2024, 11:31:31 AM

Author Topic: Establishing a fan base  (Read 2209 times)

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Establishing a fan base
« on: February 12, 2007, 12:00:58 PM »
Back in the days when Skinner park, Savonetta, Pt. Fortin, etc had huge crowds coming out to support football, was mainly because a number of them men on the various teams comprised of locals. (Men from the village)

These professional teams of today, in my opinion cannot easily beat teams like Malvern, Texaco, Caroni, Defense Force, Police, San Fernando Giants, Pt. Fortin Civic Centre, Palo Seco, Mayaro United, etc etc...  and sorry if I didn't mention any that you all can add to this list. Is the standard of the game in Trinidad that much higher today with all these supposedly highly qualified coaches?? Shoot i'll take my chances with some of the local teams from back in the day that some of you on here may remember especially if you from the central south area.. teams like Siparia Suprs, La Brea Angels, St Margarets Strikers, Embassadors, Nelco, Rebels, Dragons, etc etc.. 

Clubs must go back to grass-roots in the communities for a fan base to develop and grow. You want support you must come out and give back to the people, and giving back don't only mean financially. Make the people feel appreciated and in turn they will make you feel the same. I know simple games back in the days had venues packed to capacity.. and you can remember those day to... then ask yourself what was the reason for so much support.. and that my friend is the answer.

Peace.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Establishing a fan base
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 02:02:31 PM »
Matador, yuh stir up mih memory with some of the teams you mentioned dey pal.  I played against some of them same teams in mih panthers days.

Anyway men beat this topic plenty times within the not too distant past already.

Tallman could provide you with the necessary links.....
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Hey, all yuh remember when Jabloteh was a 2nd division team?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 03:41:42 PM »
back in them days, games from free or cheap.

most of the games i went to was in central. if u went woodford lodge, it was free. u stand up on the side of the road and maybe lean up on a car.

if u went to pres chaguanas, it was about $3 to get in. i think they had to pay pres to use their ground.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 03:52:48 PM »
To me, this is the crux of the matter as to why the ProLeague is not doing well in terms of support... there is no community connection to the teams, and no relevant rivalries. Marketing and hype really aren't the answer...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
Nothin new long time man say bout the community connections and why NE Stars does pull so much support peps see dem as a Grande team.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:47:18 PM »
Establishing a fan base
« on: Today at 01:00:58 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in the days when Skinner park, Savonetta, Pt. Fortin, etc had huge crowds coming out to support football, was mainly because a number of them men on the various teams comprised of locals. (Men from the village)
These professional teams of today, in my opinion cannot easily beat teams like Malvern, Texaco, Caroni, Defense Force, Police, San Fernando Giants, Pt. Fortin Civic Centre, Palo Seco, Mayaro United, etc etc...  and sorry if I didn't mention any that you all can add to this list. Is the standard of the game in Trinidad that much higher today with all these supposedly highly qualified coaches?? Shoot i'll take my chances with some of the local teams from back in the day that some of you on here may remember especially if you from the central south area.. teams like Siparia Suprs, La Brea Angels, St Margarets Strikers, Embassadors, Nelco, Rebels, Dragons, etc etc.. 

Clubs must go back to grass-roots in the communities for a fan base to develop and grow. You want support you must come out and give back to the people, and giving back don't only mean financially. Make the people feel appreciated and in turn they will make you feel the same. I know simple games back in the days had venues packed to capacity.. and you can remember those day to... then ask yourself what was the reason for so much support.. and that my friend is the answer.

Peace.

We have to be honest with we self to eh. Back then ppl did not have the amount of entertainment or distractions so easily available as we do today. Many ppl in the Village did not have a Television so the Television was the Savannah and the teams from the area. It may not have applied to all, but it did to many and was one of the main reason for sports having such an avid following and participation back then.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 05:44:36 AM »
Establishing a fan base

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace.

We have to be honest with we self to eh. Back then ppl did not have the amount of entertainment or distractions so easily available as we do today. Many ppl in the Village did not have a Television so the Television was the Savannah and the teams from the area. It may not have applied to all, but it did to many and was one of the main reason for sports having such an avid following and participation back then.

Are you suggesting we get rid of all the tvs,to entice the fan base once again............................

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
Establishing a fan base

Peace.

Chuckle.......... :) Elan this wasn't that far back.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:57:26 AM »   

Quote from: elan on February 12, 2007, 10:47:18 PM
Establishing a fan base

Peace.

Chuckle..........  Elan this wasn't that far back.

I did not mean to make it sound so primitive....... :P BUt, yes Saga Pinto I say get rid of televisions and internet. I remember on a saturday morning after toting water and sweeping the yard, we could not go inside and watch TV. Mammy use to run we outside, so was play whole day. From gun shooting, to ketching bud, tiefing orange, going to the beach, cricket and small goal in d road. 

Mammy and daddy need to do more in pushing the chirren to be more active in sports.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>