March 29, 2024, 02:27:39 AM

Author Topic: Pollard in World Cup Squad  (Read 4640 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pollard in World Cup Squad
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »
Pollard in Windies World Cup team

BY VINODE MAMCHAN

Trinidad Guardian

NEW T&T batting sensation Kieron Pollard has been included in the West Indies team for the International Cricket Council (ICC), Cricket World Cup.

Pollard,19, who has been in tremendous form this season, with two centuries and a half century in the Carib Beer series and two half centuries in the KFC Cup, joins fellow Trinidadians, skipper Brian Lara, all-rounder Dwayne Bravo and wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin on the regional team for the tournament.

Pollard has scored 390 runs at 48.75 in the Carib Beer series and 212 runs at 53.00 in the KFC Cup limited overs championships.

A source close to the team told G-Sport yesterday that the players have been contacted by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) to make themselves available for a training camp ahead of the tournament.

The source added that the West Indies team has already been sent to the International Cricket Council (ICC) to meet today’s deadline.

World Cup participants must reveal their squads for the tournament today. Warm-up matches start March 5.

The West Indies team is expected to include, in addition to the Trinidad players, Guyanese Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan, Barbados’ allrounder Dwayne Smith, pacers Corey Collymore, Ian Bradshaw and Pedro Collins, Jamaicans Jerome Taylor, Chris Gayle, Marlon Samuels and Darren Powell, and West Indies ‘A’ team captain Sylvester Joseph, who has been in prolific form this season.

Allrounders Gayle and Samuels will be entrusted with the spin bowling responsibility.

Samuels has been named in a match-fixing affair in India, but sources say the case against him is weak.

WICB president Ken Gordon said last Friday that the board has no position on the matter and at this point, it is presumed that Samuels is ‘clean’.

Nagpur Police reported to the Indian board that Samuels was taped in conversion with alleged bookmaker Mukesh Kochar.

The West Indies are in group D and will play preliminary round matches in Jamaica, against Pakistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: Pollard in World Cup Squad
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 08:36:29 PM »
i think its a nice squad. happy pollard make it in. what was slyvester joseph's average in de domestic season.
well normally the pitches in de caribbean  not condusive to spin and they shoud prepare we pitches ot help us outt.
 i eh sure bout sarwan. i think we have a good balanced squad . but its our bowling i worried bout.
...go WI

BTW ALLYUH who was fighing down samuels with out giivng the youthman de benefit of de doubt.
FIRE FOR ALLYUH!!!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »
The only surprise for me was sylvester joseph.  Morton played himself out of the team, Ganga wasn't in the final 30.  I would have preferred a spinner but Mohammed and Rawle lewis not up to par.  Ryan Hinds has been inconsistent.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 11:10:47 PM »
 They going in without a standby keeper.
Who will be behind the stumps if Ramdin get injured or contribute nothing with the bat ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

TrinInfinite

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »
no mohammed, dem fellahs stupid or wha, and picking joseph over sammy and deonarine is rediculous, not to mention kelly.. schupsssssssss

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »
 The team looks ok to me . Mohammed has not impressed me in ODI's and Joseph earn his pick , he has been a consistent big run scorer at regional and WI "A" team level..
I am over the moon that mih boy Pollard get pick, all the old fellas in QPC must be drinking rell rum today !!!
De boy could be the revelation of the WC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 12:34:28 AM by fishs »

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 06:01:57 AM »
well, with all the pitches in the caribbean being new or at least re-laid, I expect good matches in the series. the weather has not been too wet, so I expect some spin, but the fast bowlers will have a field day. Let's hope England keep their recent form, cos I badly want to see Australia get beat...bad,bad,bad.
I'm trying at the advice of my cardiologist ;D not to expect too much from the windies team... ;)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 01:05:29 PM »
no mohammed, dem fellahs stupid or wha, and picking joseph over sammy and deonarine is rediculous, not to mention kelly.. schupsssssssss

deonarine played 4 ODI so far, averaging 22 with the bat and econ rate of 6.45 with ball.
sammy played 2 ODI, bowled a total of 6 overs
kelly has not played any ODI..
mohammed played 5 ODI with an econ rate of 4.37

True stats are not always a a good indicator but it is useful nevertheless.  So these guys do not have a significant advantage over joseph...however, i agree that sammy or mohammed would add more balance to the team than joseph.

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 01:40:31 PM »
They going in without a standby keeper.
Who will be behind the stumps if Ramdin get injured or contribute nothing with the bat ?

in an emergency Dwayne Smith is capable of keeping wicket
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 09:26:45 PM »

deonarine played 4 ODI so far, averaging 22 with the bat and econ rate of 6.45 with ball.
sammy played 2 ODI, bowled a total of 6 overs
kelly has not played any ODI..
mohammed played 5 ODI with an econ rate of 4.37

True stats are not always a a good indicator but it is useful nevertheless. So these guys do not have a significant advantage over joseph...however, i agree that sammy or mohammed would add more balance to the team than joseph.

the amount of tata samuels has played, i dont think you want to put up his regional stats, nor his test and odi battin stats, bc they are horrific, if ah man get so many chances, of course he will get better, if you give mohammed de same number of chances as samuels, mohammed will be hittin test centuries and takin 5 wickets...

sammy has more than earned ah call, i dont know how joseph get pick ahead of sammy, joseph cant even bowl...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 10:00:52 PM »
TI, it looks like they picking joseph based on his domestic form. i thought you was a big supporter of this - selection based on merit.  whappen ???

and West Indies ‘A’ team captain Sylvester Joseph, who has been in prolific form this season.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »
Whilst I am happy that Joseph get a call because he looks a talented batsman I remain disappointed that Daren Ganga has not been given an opportunity in more ODI's. The ODI's he played in Pakistan he scored modest 20s but the team overall performed poorly on bowler-friendly pitches. Ganga is in good form regionally including the KFC cup and dating back to the Stanford 20/20 tournament and has shown the ability to increase his strike rate and strokeplay when needed. He adds much needed stability to the West Indies batting lineup and I believe could be more consistent and productive in the middle order in ODIs than Joseph or even Samuels. Anyways talk done and I glad Pollard get through

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 02:09:28 AM »
Five Trinis make Windies W Cup squad

Pollard, Simmons in 15

BY VINODE MAMCHAN

Trinidad Guardian

FIVE T&T players have been named in the West Indies cricket 15 for the International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket World Cup, to be held in the Caribbean next month.

The five are :

Brian Lara, captain, allrounders Dwayne Bravo and Keiron Pollard, wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin and batsman Lendl Simmons.

Pollard, the newcomer to the scene, has been in great form this season, scoring two centuries and three half centuries.

The big right hander has scored 390 runs at 48.75 in the Carib Beer series and 212 runs at 53.00 in the KFC Cup limited overs championships.

Simmons, another relative newcomer, toured with the West Indies team to Pakistan and India and scored a half century against the former.

There are recalls for Barbadian fast bowlers Corey Collymore and left-armer Pedro Collins. They will be joined by countryman Ian Bradshaw and Jamaican Jerome Taylor.

Collins, on his return from injury, has been superb for Barbados this season taking 20 wickets in the Carib Cup at a miserly 13.85 each. Collymore has also been in very good form with 11 wickets at 17.72 in the Carib Cup.

Leeward Islands captain Sylvester Joseph also wins a recall after an impressive domestic season. The right hander has scored 373 runs at 41.44 in the Carib Cup with one century and two half centuries.

In the KFC series he has made 237 runs at 79.00 with one century and one half century.

The selectors, led by Gordon Greenidge and including Andy Roberts, Clyde Butts, coach Bennett King and skipper Brian Lara opted against going for a spinner.

These duties has again been entrusted to the Jamaican pair of Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels.

The latter has been included although at this point the ICC Anti-corruption Bureau are investigating his contact with alleged bookmaker Mukesh Kochar, during the West Indies recent tour of India.

The injured Ramnaresh Sarwan is also included, but is expected to be fit enough for the first game against Pakistan on March 13 at Sabina Park.

West Indies team

Brian Lara (capt), Chris Gayle, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Sylvester Joseph, Keiron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo, Dwayne Smith, Denesh Ramdin, Ian Bradshaw, Corey Collymore, Pedro Collins and Jerome Taylor.

P.S. This article has Simmons and not Powell in the final 15.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 02:12:26 AM »
Yeh madness, this look like the team

TrinInfinite

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 01:56:20 PM »
TI, it looks like they picking joseph based on his domestic form. i thought you was a big supporter of this - selection based on merit.  whappen ???

and West Indies ‘A’ team captain Sylvester Joseph, who has been in prolific form this season.

prolific? if any batsmen were in prolific form was barath and pollard, jaggernauth for bolwing and lawson... i still not impressed with joseph technique..

TrinInfinite

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 01:58:45 PM »

if yuh talkin about prolific, why wasnt ryan hinds picked last year and kelly for topping de carib ? ??? how come now they decide, lewwe pick joseph, schupsssss..

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 03:50:46 PM »

prolific? if any batsmen were in prolific form was barath and pollard, jaggernauth for bolwing and lawson... i still not impressed with joseph technique..

pardna..relax yuhself..i eh say joseph prolific, the writer of the article said that..i am actually surprised joseph made the team...he has played 13 ODI averaging about 16 runs..not sure what the selectors saw there...but i supporting whoever playing.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 05:44:28 AM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 06:53:42 AM »
nice to see powell in the team and not joseph...i happy for the trinis but lendl simmons real lucky, i guess his ability to wicket keep was the deciding factor.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
dey missin ah spinner, its remarkable that devon smith get pick, i woulda take a bolwer over smith anyday...

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 04:51:56 PM »
dey missin ah spinner, its remarkable that devon smith get pick, i woulda take a bolwer over smith anyday...

I agree Mohammed should be in the squad but Devon Smith is in good form these days...the squad looks balanced for the most part...so we will see what happens.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 08:37:58 AM »
pretty good squad, for once i agree for the most part with the selectors.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 12:50:13 PM »
lendl simmons is actually awicket keeper ,and may has stood behind the stumps on numerous ocassions.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
This selection has been consistent with what we've seen from the Windies in recent times and we've been reasonably successful with it. No real complaints here, although when it comes to selection it is natural to have differences or to ask questions of selectors.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 06:13:20 AM »

how so?

i can understand your sentiment about mohammed, but sylvester joseph is much better batsman than deonarine.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

TrinInfinite

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »

how so?

i can understand your sentiment about mohammed, but sylvester joseph is much better batsman than deonarine.

technically, deonarine is better, more compact than joseph, hes also a good all rounder.... :beermug:

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 04:09:24 PM »

how so?

technically, deonarine is better, more compact than joseph, hes also a good all rounder.... :beermug:

Deonarine?? an allrounder at international level... pft... hardly.

and he so compact every time i see him play he leaves the ball alone so much it uproots his offstump, most prominent and unexpected instance... A ONE DAYER... again... ZIMBABWE...

Syslvester Joseph has been hittin century after century for the B side... he is a compitent captain... a mature batsman... and he certainly deserves that spot over Deonarine...

sorry but I have to disagree wit yuh der Gino.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

1]; } ?>