April 23, 2024, 11:35:24 AM

Author Topic: Relationships  (Read 6878 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Relationships
« on: February 14, 2007, 01:48:32 PM »
Valentines Day is today and all over de news, I hearing about relationships, romance, steak and sex, etc, etc

So what is make a good relationship/marriage?

Divorce rates are generally calculated by comparing the number of divorces with the number of marriages in a given time period. Here are some divorce rate statistics (less than I originally thought). 

United States (http://marriage.rutgers.edu)

In the United States in 1999 there were 8.4 marriages and 4.2 divorces per 1,000 total population. Iin 1999 there was one divorce for every two marriages in the United States, a "crude" divorce rate of 50%.

Canada (Statistics Canada)

In Canada in 1997 there were a total of 154,750 marriages and 67,408 divorces—a divorce rate of 42%.
and 2.28 divorces per 1,000 people

Trinidad and Tobago (http://www.divorcereform.org/gul.html)

1 divorce per 1,000 people

So in North America, it looks like 1 in 3 marriages end up in divorce.

Ah jus curious to see de opinions of the ppl on dis forum.... what are people looking for in a relationship (straight and gay couples)?

I know dat a few on de forum have gone through more dan one marriage.

And some of us pushing double digits for wedding anniversaries.

So knowing that 1 in three marriages will end up in divorce, what can couples do to prevent this?

What roles do Love, Sex, Money, Security and <add your variable here>,  play in a relationship?

Opinions, comments, ??????

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
Re: Relationships
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »
trust...without it, forget it.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 03:05:10 PM »
<pulls out ah pen and paper>
<waits>

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »
Pecan..dat is some good questions yuh ask dey.

Like Queen say...trust.  Dat is one ah de main tings I looking for because everyting does fall in line wid dat.

Dr. Phil does always say yuh have tuh be a "safe place to fall" fuh yuh partner and ah really like dat expression because it really expresses what a relationship should be.

He also does say  "a person who has nothing to hide, hides nothing".  Again, speaking to the whole trust factor.

Ah was watching a movie de udder day and de fella tell de girl "LOVE IS FRIENDSHIP ON FIRE".  Now dat stick in meh head.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »
i remember reading dat the #1 reason for relationship breakdown was financial troubles ..

how does dat connect with "trust".  I suppose trust implies no secrets between partners, so financial will be dealt with if it becomes a problem??

Does Trust trump respect and all de other variables?

An wat about SEX .... ???

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 03:25:26 PM »
i remember reading dat the #1 reason for relationship breakdown was financial troubles ..

how does dat connect with "trust".  I suppose trust implies no secrets between partners, so financial will be dealt with if it becomes a problem??

I think Sex is the result of trust/communication/friendship/love etc.  It is when all the feeling associated with a true relationship bubbles over and that is probably the only way to truly express what you feel in side, no words just IS........
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 03:28:50 PM »
well, this topic is one I am going to just read other people's opinion and take notes. My cynicism is not a good thing to spread among the young folk.  :devil:
I think everybody should get married once. that's not love though, right?
shucks, just couldn't help giving my dotish opinion. ;D

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »
the sex and the romping is great but the test of time will be measured in trust I think.

In the early goings all you want to do is toss your partner on his back (pardon to all the youngsters) but over time there grows an intimacy that is deepr and truer than the physical activities and even that grows sweeter because you know each other and trust each other.

Money, yes of course, a huge deal and lack of it can strain the best relationships. But if he knows I have his back and that I do not hold him as less of a man if he cannot provide the diamonds and lexus, we stand a good chance of pulling through.

I think marriages where one partner has no clue wha the other's income is or how it is spent, are fragile.

Add in things like maturity, respect, all that good stuff. You have to know that if you creep, you have damaged something in your mariage that may never heal....is the one night stand worth it?

For me personally, if I creep, the marriage was already over. I'm too focused to be able to run 2 and 3 outside...

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »

OK  leh meh give yuh ah lil example of how de money connected tuh trust.  Ah have a fren who husband does control all de money.  When she get she salary, it going in de joint account.  All she does get is she $200 "allowance" dat he does hand he when  de month come.  He paying all de bills everything.  She doh know whey nutting going, how it spending and when she try tuh ask ah question is big big fight. So, ah tell she go online and see how de money spenning.  She eh know yuh could do dat.  After ting fix up, and she get de access, wha yuh tink going on.  Man spenning money lef right an centre.  Over $1000 a month going on all kinda frivilous ting and some tings dat he shouldn't be spenning at all.  Add tuh dat, dey have debt.  So instead ah paying dong de debt, my boy spenning money like it have no tomorrow.

Now yuh cyar see how trust connected tuh dat?  And if my man behaving so, how I go want tuh luv he up when de night come.  It not happening.

Yuh doh tink dat she eh feel dat anyting he tell she is ah lie when he doing dat kinda ting?
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:30:15 PM »
OK

So TRUST seems to be the under pinning of a relationship ...

But exactly what does Trust mean?  Could it not have a different meaning to different people?

For example, if a person is up front wid a prospective partner saying that he like to go out wid dey boys every Friday nite.  And he not messing around, but he eh giving up the Boys Night. 

And at first, she say she OK wid that.  Den as time passes, she start to feel left out, ...every ting up front, but she feel she missing someting ..

So Trust is de start, but it cannot stand on its own.

Trust has to go hand in hand with commitment and respect ...

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 05:53:43 PM »
OK

So TRUST seems to be the under pinning of a relationship ...

But exactly what does Trust mean?  Could it not have a different meaning to different people?

For example, if a person is up front wid a prospective partner saying that he like to go out wid dey boys every Friday nite.  And he not messing around, but he eh giving up the Boys Night. 

And at first, she say she OK wid that.  Den as time passes, she start to feel left out, ...every ting up front, but she feel she missing someting ..

So Trust is de start, but it cannot stand on its own.

Trust has to go hand in hand with commitment and respect ...

OK..yuh moving intuh anudder territory now.  So OK.  we settle de trus issue.

Dis example yuh set out here is not ah trust one and when I talking trust, I not sayin is only fuh man tuh exercise eh.  So going back tuh yuh example.  De man say he like tuh lime every Friday.  OK..ting good at de beginning.  She eh mind but after a while, she feeling lef out and so on.  Every couple is different.  I personally wouldn't have no problem wid my husband/partner whatever going out every Friday wid de boys as long as he putting een tuh de relationship de res ah de time.  Is not ah black and white ting.  De odder ting is that life changes.  People change and jes because it was OK tuh do dat in de beginning, doh necessarily mean it still good tuh do it 5 years later.  What if dey have children.  Yuh tink it fair dat he go out every Friday wid de boys and she stay home and minding children by she self?  Unless of course, she have a girls night on Saturday night and he staying home wid de children.

Couples have tuh work out de ting tugether.  Everybody have different tolderance levels etc.  So what work fuh you and Mrs. Pecan mighten work fuh me and Mr. Abraham.  It doh mean dat my way right and your way wrong or vice versa.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 06:16:02 PM »
huh ???
get JOINT wwwwhat ?
and who controlling what ?

sorry eh, but, and i will say it again, until it happen to me i will correct myself.
but until that time comes

it ain't have no man alive go make me decide on a 'joint' account...
and that written in stone...

Coco tell ya friend it have ah girl dat wanna meet her bad >:(

anyway....
from watching my parents' relationship i think it all boils down too
respect, communication and acceptance.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:18:40 PM by Judge Ju-C »

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 09:07:14 PM »
...being able to main and accept some of the interest during the marriage as you had before getting married.....Tooo often we hear about somebody singing a different tune once we say 'I do'....If yuh like meh how ah was before we get marrid doh expect whole sale changes once we do....and yes some changes has to be made.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 09:04:02 AM »
Let me see if I could offer meh 2 cents. Ah using monopoly money eh, so yuh might have to add to it to buy a latte by Starbucks...

Money is a huge concern that can break a relationship. It breaks up countries, companies and communities. I've seen sons put fathers in court and mothers put daughters in court over it so marriages are fair game to this monster.
But we've made a committement to each other. I am at my most vulnerable with you. You see me first thing in the morning with my head a mess, pregnant, sick, on my death bed. If I cannot trust you with money then why am I with you?

Back home, traditionally, women didn't work outside the home and had no income to guard. Men brought in the money and the woman took it to tend to the home, even run a sou sou, and saved. Today, with the emancipation, we're hunter gatherers too.
Some women, like the example Coco gave, hand over the money and stop paying attention. Nope Nope...don't do that. Be aware of the finances for obvious reasons. Money corrupts even the best intentions and in this day and age, we ALL have to pay attention to where the money goes. We can get fleeced by almost everyone from the phone company to the man/woman you call spouse.

Cana, the man is in your bed, wears your ring, fathers your children and yet you cannot trust a joint account? Your trust has limits.

Sadly, you have reason to distrust, polls tell you that it may be wise to and the relationships around you bear out that unfortunate reality. But there are exceptions to the rule and if you go into a relationship with that mistrust, you're setting yourself up. No, I'm not suggesting you close your eyes and pretend all is well. Pay attention during the courtship and early days of marriage, let him earn that trust. It can take years. But writing these rules in stone leaves you inflexible. Inflexible people do not grow.

We've spoken about men who do this and that but we don't seem to talk about women who do this and that. There are some crazy women out there too. Who have horned, cheated, stolen, lied, been horrible mothers, daughters and wives.

Gender lines are fuzzier now, the traditional jobs and responsibilities are more fluid. Some women earn more or handle the finances, some men stay at home.

As ENT said, things change, people change. Which of you is the same person you were as a teen?
Some people, once they get married feel they can let themselves go, stop looking, dressing, being attractive. Why? I would think it is the other way around. I try to take care of myself for me. I didn't go out in the road looking tattered before, why now? Because of a ring? oh please...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:11:25 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 10:30:46 AM »
Let me see if I could offer meh 2 cents. Ah using monopoly money eh, so yuh might have to add to it to buy a latte by Starbucks...

Money is a huge concern that can break a relationship. It breaks up countries, companies and communities. I've seen sons put fathers in court and mothers put daughters in court over it so marriages are fair game to this monster.
But we've made a committement to each other. I am at my most vulnerable with you. You see me first thing in the morning with my head a mess, pregnant, sick, on my death bed. If I cannot trust you with money then why am I with you?

Back home, traditionally, women didn't work outside the home and had no income to guard. Men brought in the money and the woman took it to tend to the home, even run a sou sou, and saved. Today, with the emancipation, we're hunter gatherers too.
Some women, like the example Coco gave, hand over the money and stop paying attention. Nope Nope...don't do that. Be aware of the finances for obvious reasons. Money corrupts even the best intentions and in this day and age, we ALL have to pay attention to where the money goes. We can get fleeced by almost everyone from the phone company to the man/woman you call spouse.

Cana, the man is in your bed, wears your ring, fathers your children and yet you cannot trust a joint account? Your trust has limits.

Sadly, you have reason to distrust, polls tell you that it may be wise to and the relationships around you bear out that unfortunate reality. But there are exceptions to the rule and if you go into a relationship with that mistrust, you're setting yourself up. No, I'm not suggesting you close your eyes and pretend all is well. Pay attention during the courtship and early days of marriage, let him earn that trust. It can take years. But writing these rules in stone leaves you inflexible. Inflexible people do not grow.

We've spoken about men who do this and that but we don't seem to talk about women who do this and that. There are some crazy women out there too. Who have horned, cheated, stolen, lied, been horrible mothers, daughters and wives.

Gender lines are fuzzier now, the traditional jobs and responsibilities are more fluid. Some women earn more or handle the finances, some men stay at home.

As ENT said, things change, people change. Which of you is the same person you were as a teen?
Some people, once they get married feel they can let themselves go, stop looking, dressing, being attractive. Why? I would think it is the other way around. I try to take care of myself for me. I didn't go out in the road looking tattered before, why now? Because of a ring? oh please...

sweetie it has nothing to do with surveys but everything to do with experiences
I've watched joint accounts via friends and their ex/spouses and separate accounts via my parents.

For my parents, when it came to house and children, finances were divided between them. Neither interfered or questioned the other spending habits. At the end of the month have your share to put towards bills and kids. Their system worked for almost 30 something years - I don't see why it shouldn't work for me or others. Again this has nothing to do with survey and trust. Infact my mother trust that my father would have his share for the bills at the end of the month and vice versa.

Joint accounts will and is working for couples and I applaud them....But sorry its not in my table of contents....and yeah have in the back of your mind, 'dis chile go learn one day' - you might start believing it  :rotfl:

Last night I called my dad to wish him happy valentines and I told him about this thread. I had my quarterly father/daughter moments and I asked him "you know almost 40 year anniversay - how?"
He said first and foremost "Talk and Listen to each other" - "Never go to bed angry"  - "Start the day with kisses, end it with such" "The day you 'forget' to kiss your spouse, you'll feel it more than the reason why you didn't". Then he said something about Marvin Gaye then hang up in my ear.

Talk and listening are the 2 most easilest things to do, but yet it's the most difficult things to achieve.

The saddest thing out of all of this for me is, the day one of them closes their eyes, the next one is not far behind. :(

my 3 cents

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »
I did offer the idea that your stance is also coloured by the relationships around you not just polls.

The situation with your folks works for them. In a way it still is joint because they put together at month end and pay bills, right? I was talking about the marriages where one doesn't have a clue what the other does with the money. Yes I pay the hydro bill but the rest of my dollars you don't know about. Not that you NEED to but here I am hiding it.

I know of marriages where one passed and the other had no clue what accounts there were, what insurance, what investments. The surviving spouse couldn't cover the bills and lost the home THEN found out there was money to cover expenses but it went to a child he spouse never even knew exisited.

How can one live like that?

No I'm not saying you will learn. We all experience different things. I'm giving you my experience. I have met people I wouldn't trust with my morning newspaper. But I do wonder about the inflexibility - I'm willing to bet it isn't only about money. Why? Cuz I thought that way too. I may be wrong of course, but the chance of being wrong never stopped me from offering an opinion.  ;D

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 11:29:42 AM »
I did offer the idea that your stance is also coloured by the relationships around you not just polls.

The situation with your folks works for them. In a way it still is joint because they put together at month end and pay bills, right? I was talking about the marriages where one doesn't have a clue what the other does with the money. Yes I pay the hydro bill but the rest of my dollars you don't know about. Not that you NEED to but here I am hiding it.

I know of marriages where one passed and the other had no clue what accounts there were, what insurance, what investments. The surviving spouse couldn't cover the bills and lost the home THEN found out there was money to cover expenses but it went to a child he spouse never even knew exisited.

How can one live like that?

No I'm not saying you will learn. We all experience different things. I'm giving you my experience. I have met people I wouldn't trust with my morning newspaper. But I do wonder about the inflexibility - I'm willing to bet it isn't only about money. Why? Cuz I thought that way too. I may be wrong of course, but the chance of being wrong never stopped me from offering an opinion.  ;D

and your opinions are always appreciated...
it's never my intention to post anything for people to agree or disagree with me, I just post my thoughts and experiences.  :)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 12:01:41 PM »
but I want to disagree with you!! Agreeing is no fun! shims...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 01:47:48 PM »
but I want to disagree with you!! Agreeing is no fun! shims...

leave me alone before i play whitney in ya tail  >:(

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

yes M'am... :rotfl:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 02:33:20 PM »
Look nah all setta pacifist ting cyah wukk yuh know  >:(

cana, just because de queen have big website from fancy university an ting...doh fraid yuh know,,bring forth de scarlet beast

people ha opocorn here waitin for clash...we want some hair pullin and some bodice rippin an ting

if allyuh could organize de clash in ah tub ah jell-o with ah webcam...more better

Too much kumbaya...not enough kilkitay  :devil:

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
so Dutty want noise. All yuh fellas like to see women fight eh?

Well yuh go have to look someplace else.

I am a peaceable citizen EXCEPPING if yuh eat de lass pholourie...

De Divine Miss Ju-C and me have ah understanding...so take dat an cool it.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
Look nah all setta pacifist ting cyah wukk yuh know  >:(

cana, just because de queen have big website from fancy university an ting...doh fraid yuh know,,bring forth de scarlet beast

people ha opocorn here waitin for clash...we want some hair pullin and some bodice rippin an ting

if allyuh could organize de clash in ah tub ah jell-o with ah webcam...more better

Too much kumbaya...not enough kilkitay  :devil:

Mr. Dutty...we not discussing dat kinda relationships here. ::)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 02:47:37 PM »
IS MY LAND.....yesssss Bobbyyyyyyy MY LAND

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 02:48:58 PM »
IS MY LAND.....yesssss Bobbyyyyyyy MY LAND

Somebody feeling better tuhday boy!!  De voice strong strong. ;D

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 02:50:09 PM »

And why not?...I think all types of relationchip should be iinclude

Bring forth the jell-o tub and the webcam...let us discuss
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 02:57:48 PM »

And why not?...I think all types of relationchip should be iinclude

Bring forth the jell-o tub and the webcam...let us discuss

You too wotless.  Mr. Pecan take he time to engage in a serious topic and yuh want tuh turn de discourse in anudder direction.  Now doh come back and tell meh it serious eh?  Ah know dat is what yuh go tell meh.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »
dey does always turn back and say "ah was only making joke"...lol

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »

You too wotless.  Mr. Pecan take he time to engage in a serious topic and yuh want tuh turn de discourse in anudder direction.  Now doh come back and tell meh it serious eh?  Ah know dat is what yuh go tell meh.

Madam, many a thesis has been discussed in a unorthodox setting.....comess university should uphold that standard of alternative study

if cana and de queen to be having dey discourse in a jell-o tub....I willin to llisten to de debate...all in the name of science of course

anyway allyuh call mih when dey start to pick out de bikinis

ah gorne

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 04:22:25 AM »
After the 3rd wife ah realise newness is what does keep de relationship going.

Keep re-inventing yuhself and make sure yuh pardner have de same mindset.

Sometimes removal of fat does help too.  ;D ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>