March 29, 2024, 07:44:02 AM

Author Topic: Destra pelted  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Destra pelted
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:48:39 AM »
Destra pelted and lost her cool in ‘Bacchanal’ fete
By Denise Balgobin Friday, February 16 2007

Yesterday fans of soca star Destra Garcia from the band Atlantik were shocked to hear that she was pelted with various objects during the band’s performance at the Bacchanal Wednesday fete at Bowen Marine in Chaguaramas.

Reports on various radio stations alleged that persons in the crowd threw objects at her while she was singing her popular “Independent Ladies.” One glow stick even struck her in the face.

There were even claims that she reportedly reacted and started using obscene language, threatening to stop the fete.

During a telephone interview with Newsday, Destra admitted she did use one expletive, but expl-ained, “I just lost it. I lost my cool. I did say the “F” word once, but I managed to pull myself together.”

She stated that when she first went on stage, a few people started pelting her with ice, then glow sticks, one of which struck her on the back.

“I told the people to stop it and cool themselves. Then one of the glow sticks hit me on my face. That’s when I lost it. I didn’t know what to do and I can’t even describe how I felt at that point. I reacted in anger, and it took a tremendous amount of strength and will power for me to continue my performance,” she stated.

“Everyone knows this is a very stressful, very frustrating time for artistes. Most of us have been performing in three or four fetes every night. I am not saying this is an excuse for anything. I know I was wrong to lose it, and I regret that. I know that this incident is just one, and it was probably influenced by excessive alcohol. While I have no physical scars or bruises, this has hurt me deeply inside.”

She also said that with the struggle performers face in the entertainment industry, it is a sad day when artistes are attacked by patrons in a fete.

Destra said she tried to remain calm and started to talk to the crowd telling them that this is the kind of thing everyone should avoid.

“Most people go to a fete to enjoy themselves, and we already have so much violence out there that we now have to be concerned about this type of violence when we go out to party.”

Destra was grateful that she was applauded by the crowd for her reaction when she spoke out, and added, “Even today, I have received so many calls of encouragement. Even my sponsors at Digicel called to express their support.”

Trinidad Newsday
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Destra pelted
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »
I go pelt some wood on she dat is about it . I aint rate nobody who  pelt glow stick and ting ... is wood I go pelt.. like Battman run Trinidad or what? how allyuh go mek people pelt sexy destra??? is serious wood I pelting dey,   
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Destra pelted
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »
I could just watch she and pelt ah J**K
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

1]; } ?>