July 26, 2024, 07:51:41 PM

Author Topic: Seems Colombia will win the Gold Cup  (Read 6689 times)

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seems Colombia will win the Gold Cup
« on: July 18, 2005, 05:57:38 AM »
Panama has shown that they cannot be written off for one of the 3.5 spots for Germany. I surely didnt expect them to do so well in this tournament. I dont see them beating Colombia twice in this tournament, but regardless of what happened, they have done enough now to add new life to the remainder of their WCQ campaign.

Jamaica's loss to the USA, while not surprising, was a little bit disappointing to me. The game vs Mexico left me believing that we could have pushed the USA at least to extra time. It didnt help that the players had to travel from LA, to Houston, to Boston in the space of 5 days either.

USA should take care of Hunduras (wont be an easygame for them, I'd love to see Honduras win), and Colombia should take care of Panama. USA will win the whole thing, and Honduras will take 3rd spot.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Seems Colombia will win the Gold Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 06:03:32 AM »
dont write off them small teams just yet.on paper i would agree with you but them small teams playing with heart,hard to beat that.look at greece
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 06:25:16 AM »
Panama has shown that they cannot be written off for one of the 3.5 spots for Germany.
Jamaica's loss to the USA, while not surprising, was a little bit disappointing to me. The game vs Mexico left me believing that we could have pushed the USA at least to extra time.
USA should take care of Hunduras (wont be an easygame for them, I'd love to see Honduras win), and Colombia should take care of Panama. USA will win the whole thing, and Honduras will take 3rd spot.

You may not write off Panama but i have. They will be fighting with guatemala for the 5th and 6th spot. Jamaica's loss to USA was expected. Playing good against a third string Mexican team and still losing is no achievment. You all were in the weakest grp. I believe that Honduras could beat the US. What the US has is home advantage. Lets see how that goes. Colombia will definitely beat Panama and its going to be ugly.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 06:38:56 AM »
Before a ball kicked Columbia looked like being at least finalists. USA-Columbia looks to be on the cards for the final. I wouldn't dare hazard a prediction because anything can happen in a final.

Offline sting_pana

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 06:55:59 AM »
Panama has shown that they cannot be written off for one of the 3.5 spots for Germany. I surely didnt expect them to do so well in this tournament. I dont see them beating Colombia twice in this tournament, but regardless of what happened, they have done enough now to add new life to the remainder of their WCQ campaign.

Jamaica's loss to the USA, while not surprising, was a little bit disappointing to me. The game vs Mexico left me believing that we could have pushed the USA at least to extra time. It didnt help that the players had to travel from LA, to Houston, to Boston in the space of 5 days either.

BULLSHIT with Your FUC**NG predictions!

WE BEATED South Africa (the one that won against Mexico)...We beated Columbia the ONE that defeated YOUR PANTY team!

...Colombia take care of us?...

YOU are SICK man!...Panama are in Semifinals loser!....And PANAMA will fihjt the 3rth spot...OK?

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 07:07:21 AM »
stink pana cool off son.  Congrats on advancing to the semis.

Peace out.

PS..I did wine on quite a few Panamanian women in  Miami...dey kinda prefer dog jook doh.

HArd and deep.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:14:27 AM »
Panama has shown that they cannot be written off for one of the 3.5 spots for Germany.
Jamaica's loss to the USA, while not surprising, was a little bit disappointing to me. The game vs Mexico left me believing that we could have pushed the USA at least to extra time.

You may not write off Panama but i have. They will be fighting with guatemala for the 5th and 6th spot. Jamaica's loss to USA was expected. Playing good against a third string Mexican team and still losing is no achievment. You all were in the weakest grp. I believe that Honduras could beat the US. What the US has is home advantage. Lets see how that goes. Colombia will definitely beat Panama and its going to be ugly.

You have written off Panama? Panama is doing better than Trinidad and Guatemala in this tourmnament, two of the teams they are competing with for the half spot. Their players are getting valuable games under their belt vs good quality opponents (they have brought their A squad to the tournament), so it will work out to their benefit in the long run.

How do you determine that Jamaica's zone was the weakest in the tournament? Mexico are ranked 6th in the world, South Africa 39th, Jamaica 41, and Guatemala 59th. avg rank = 36th

Your group had Colombia ranked at #25, Panama ranked 98th, T&T ranked 58 and Honduras ranked 50. avg rank=57

The other group had USA ranked at 10, Costa Rica at 24, Cuba at 70, and Canada at85. avg rank = 47.

so in reality, on paper, the toughest groups were

1) Mex/SAF/JAM/Guat
2) USA/CRC/Can/Cub
3) Hon/Pan/Col/Trin

Looking at the composition of the teams at the Gold Cup, it seems T&T, Guatemala and Panama were the only Hex teams that actually brought a near full strength squad to the tournament. In Jamaicas group, the only full strength squad there were Guatemala, who ended up finishing last in the zone.  Mexico, Souith Africa and Jamaica all brought experimenting squads to the tournament. Jamaica actually used 6 new starters in their game v Mexico, which in my mind, was our best game all tournament.

I am not so sure about Honduras beating the USA.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 07:30:36 AM »
Who cares whose group was tougher?  Both Jamaica and Trinidad got licks in this tournament and have now gone home early so it makes no difference.  Jamaica just got lucky that their chances went in versus Guatemala while we were hitting post and Stern was throwing away sitters in our 2 draws.  But on the positive side we both only lost one first round match while potential finalists Colombia lost two!  Football is a funny sport like that.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 07:36:41 AM »
Truetrini it was you wining on all dem Panamanian gyal.  Ah was not there but ah hear dey like de dog chook ;D
Anyway Stink Panty, yuh still eh learn eh... Yuh team playing well, let its record speak for itself. Doh set such high standards for yuh team just yet. When yuh do dat and yuh fall, yuh would fall real hard... but like they say... who doh hear does feel! And 4 sure Columbia or USA will put de hurt on yuh squad.
By the way, yuh team still eh beat our Warriors eh

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 07:53:26 AM by Fire Brand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline sting_pana

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 07:58:21 AM »
... who doh hear does feel! And 4 sure Columbia or USA will put de hurt on yuh squad.

REMEMBER THESE WORDS! Do You understand?

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 08:11:58 AM »
Who cares whose group was tougher?  Both Jamaica and Trinidad got licks in this tournament and have now gone home early so it makes no difference.  Jamaica just got lucky that their chances went in versus Guatemala while we were hitting post and Stern was throwing away sitters in our 2 draws.  But on the positive side we both only lost one first round match while potential finalists Colombia lost two!  Football is a funny sport like that.

Arrow....It doesnt help when you make comments like "Jamaica just got lucky that their chances went in versus Guatemala while we were hitting post and Stern was throwing away sitters" .Fact of teh matter is that Jamaica scored some 8 gaols in the tournament (and conceded about 100  ;)) - 4 vs Guatemala, 3 vs South Africa, and one vs the USA. Surely not all of them went in by pure "luck" as you would put it. 

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »
Truetrini it was you wining on all dem Panamanian gyal.  Ah was not there but ah hear dey like de dog chook ;D
Anyway Stink Panty, yuh still eh learn eh... Yuh team playing well, let its record speak for itself. Doh set such high standards for yuh team just yet. When yuh do dat and yuh fall, yuh would fall real hard... but like they say... who doh hear does feel! And 4 sure Columbia or USA will put de hurt on yuh squad.

Doesnt matter if Panama lose 8-0 in their next game...They are top 4 in CONCACAF at least for the next 2 years. And they are still in witha chnace to make the World Cup to boot. And didnt they qualify for another World Cup finals at some age group recently? was it under20 or under 23?

PANAMA has over-achieved in football in recent times....We should lift our hats to the Canaleros.

Sting Pana what is the JAmaican influence like in Panama? I know there's alot og Jamaicans living there, but how popular is Jamaican culture there?

Offline sting_pana

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 08:21:36 AM »
Sting Pana what is the JAmaican influence like in Panama? I know there's alot og Jamaicans living there, but how popular is Jamaican culture there?

Not much!
We have diverse culture like Northamericans, European, HEBREW, Columbian, etc...
In my country no only reggeae is the music, We have our own culture Typical Music, Rock, etc.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 08:26:34 AM »

Not much!
We have diverse culture like Northamericans, European, HEBREW, Columbian, etc...
In my country no only reggeae is the music, We have our own culture Typical Music, Rock, etc.

How many players on the Panama side is of Jamaican heritage? I know Roberto Brown is of Jamaican roots, but anyone else? What about that guy Philips, who I've also heard is of Jamaican parentage. any truth to that?

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 08:30:29 AM »
Surely not all of them went in by pure "luck" as you would put it. 

I never said all their goals went in by pure luck.  I just said it was lucky that 4 goals went in versus Guatemala, because if only 3 had gone in Jamaica would have been knocked out in the first round as well.

Offline sting_pana

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 08:38:42 AM »
How many players on the Panama side is of Jamaican heritage? I know Roberto Brown is of Jamaican roots, but anyone else? What about that guy Philips, who I've also heard is of Jamaican parentage. any truth to that?

About Brown Yes, but I don't now about the others...

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 08:40:15 AM »
Surely not all of them went in by pure "luck" as you would put it. 

I never said all their goals went in by pure luck.  I just said it was lucky that 4 goals went in versus Guatemala, because if only 3 had gone in Jamaica would have been knocked out in the first round as well.

We are using too much "what-ifs" here. What if Jamaica had scored that penalty to tie the score in that game vs the USA on Saturday? What if Kharis Stepehnson's well placed free kick didnt smash the right upright on its way to goal when Keller was well beaten? What if the goal that Mexico scored vs Jamaica was saved bythe goalie? what if Stern John had scored a hat-trick in all the game she played?  Got the point?

The game of football is all about outscoring your opponents. The more goals you scored, the better your cahnces of winning. To me, the only disappointing game for Jamaica this tournament was teh game vs the USA. Positive for me is that fact  that we gave a good account of ourselves in all other games. I'm satisfied with what has been happening in recent months.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 08:40:46 AM »

You have written off Panama?

Yes i have! I have no doubt in my mind that at full strength we will beat up on Panama. They have beaten up on your side but dont worry we will take care of them for you.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 08:51:57 AM »

Stink Panty...remember these words!

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 08:53:05 AM »

Remember these words too...

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 08:57:30 AM »

Firebrand, Ja won 2-1 in thelast meeting about 4 months ago.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 09:20:08 AM »

He was not talking to you.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 09:34:10 AM »
I would say the US are winning the tournament. they have a big squad and are basically rested due to player rotation
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2005, 09:34:16 AM »

Reggae fan, unless your name is Stink Panty, I was not talking to you! I have praised your team's efforts of recent, but you are behaving just like stink panty with de childish boasting. Is you guys boasting about yuh squad beating dis one and dat one. When we hit Panama 2-0 yuh eh see trinis boasting. What yuh saw was trinis praising their team's improvement. There are such things as good and bad winners...I guess de latter favors you too.    
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:36:05 AM by Fire Brand »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 09:47:46 AM »

Reggae fan, unless your name is Stink Panty, I was not talking to you! I have praised your team's efforts of recent, but you are behaving just like stink panty with de childish boasting. Is you guys boasting about yuh squad beating dis one and dat one. When we hit Panama 2-0 yuh eh see trinis boasting. What yuh saw was trinis praising their team's improvement. There are such things as good and bad winners...I guess de latter favors you too.    

Boasting about what? my team losing 3-1 to the USA? The only one who has anything to boast about around here is Sting Pana.....His team is through to the Semis. you reffering to Sting Pana as stink panty is actually more childish than anything else.

And I believe that it was the posters here who drew most of the comparisons between Ja and T&T's showing in the competition. It was ALbertaTrini who wanted to know why Jamaica doing better than Trinida. Serch his posts.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:53:10 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2005, 10:04:40 AM »
Be careful in using me as any guage or voice of authority. I have None!!!!  In my humble opinion at this time and given the relative time and preparation of Jamacia's team, they  performed beyond anyone's expectation at this tournament.

The critical element is one of sustained performance and motivation. Could the team keep performing and raising their level of play to match opposing teams' performance at a higher level? Here is where you see the distinction between teams who  could raise their level of play to move beyond. Another point is that, good teams sustain themselves over time. One could 'gear up and be motivated' for a tournament, but the real test is the 'bigger picture' what is happening to that team over the long haul?

To engage in  a hypothetical speculation as to which team is going to win at this time seems futile given the unprdictability of performances and the ignorance as to how prepared each of the teams are. A good point was raised about the depth of the USA team given thier ability to rotate players, well on the flip side what does that do for team cohesiveness and fluidity? I am not an expert I am just asking the questions.

Columbia won one game in the preliminary; this is all history now given where they are today and where we are. Jamacia looked good aganist formidable opposition, yet they are at home as we are.

So to engage in a discourse of who is better is futile in my humble opinion. Until we meet and until we are playing a game for high stakes, I am simply seeing  performances by each team as relative to the time, motivation and circumstances.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 10:17:38 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2005, 10:10:23 AM »
Jamacia looked good aganist formidable opposition, yet they are at home as we are.

Jamaica did enough vs Guatemala and South Africa to advance. Trinidad played decent in spurts, but couldnt overcome Panama and Honduras. That teh difference. Hats off to Panama and Sting Pana. Good showing thus far. Also hats off to Honduras.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2005, 10:17:42 AM »
Boasting about what?

Hmmn I wonder?

"Jamaica didnt look half bad vs the USA as you looked vs Columbia.."

"I dont believe one word that you are Jamaican. Jamaicans are not timid cowrads like you are...."

"This is Hilarious. I believe that ifJack Warner was a Jakan, his "help" would be better rewarded"

"OUR domestic NPL, while not 100% professional, is of a good standard, and continues to improve.  The core of this team at the Gold Cup is a product of the Jamaican NPL. If only we had the facilities that exists in T&T, I think our league could very well attract players from as far away as Africa and Asia."

"If anything, I know we will match the Yanks, and I am hoping that we can knock them out."

All courtesy:
RFs Latest Posts

Of course you never boast, or make excuses for the JA team or anything negative about JA.

At the beginning of the tournament it was only the "US and Mexico with 2nd string teams".

Now all the talk is about an "all local, young, exuberant NPL, teambuilding team of 2010, who had to travel to three cities for three games". Boo Hoo.

Also can't stop hearing about the "six changes that were made for the Mexico game", which by your own admission did not matter because JA were already qualified.

You are fooling no one on this site breds.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2005, 10:25:31 AM »
At the end of the day, THE HEX IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Yes, it would have been nice to do well in this tournament but unlike some other teams, this tournament is pure dress rehearsal for the REAL THING aka WC QUALIFYING for the likes of USA, Guatemala, T&T, Colombia, Panama, & Costa Rica.  I don't include Mexico because they already had a serious dress rehearsal at the Confederations Cup.  I'm sure if they had the choice, they would have preferred to slip this tournament.  I didn't include South Africa because 99% of this squad will not play in their WC Qualifiers.

Respeck due to all the teams that did well in this tournament.

As for the winner, I agree with Observer.  USA will be very difficult to beat as usual.

With regards to Sting Pana....RF if yuh doh know the history of him on this board yuh might be well advised to keep yuh mouth shut.  

Prior to the T&T vs Panama game in POS. Sting Pana came on this board boasting to high heavens about what Panama would do to T&T and how much goals they would score on us etc.  After that game, Sting Pana was nowhere to be found.  NOWHERE.  The fact remains, T&T by RESULTS head to head OWNS Panama.  They have yet to defeat us, as badly as we play.

But den again...is you RF.  Not surprising one iota comin from a man who say dem kung fu tackles (apologies to all kung fu practicioners because it really is a graceful art which is much more than can be said for the display of butchery by the Jamaican team on Saturday.  A display which many Jamaicans condemned by the way.) against USA was a case of "youthful exuberance".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 10:35:56 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 10:26:17 AM »
JDB,

Right on!!!!!!!! nuff said tuh dat man.  

RF,
time tuh move on!!! yuh team back in the sunshine like ours so the point is?

1]; } ?>