March 28, 2024, 09:21:54 AM

Author Topic: reggae vs. soca ??  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
reggae vs. soca ??
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:09:25 AM »
soca is the music of the devil.
thoses were the statements made by I-Wayne in this express article
from my understanding most reggae(mostly dancehall songs ) are i'd have to say 90% negiative as to soca which is like 99% positive i dont see how he would come up to this conclusion
i dont know help me out jus a general question reggaefan or any other person trini/jamaican dat reads this whats your opinion to his comments ?
this isnt meat to bring up an argument on which music is better (Soca would win  ;D) but jus to get your opinions.

Soca flows at the Savannah

by Wayne Bowman 

from trinidadexpress.com

Apart from a stabbing and the violent rocking of the fence separating the VIP section from the general audience, Saturday night's Soca for Summer party was without major incidents.

An unidentified man who found himself in the area leading to backstage and the VIP area was stabbed when he got into an altercation with another man. The culprit jumped the fence and escaped while the injured was attended to by security personnel.

The thousands who jammed the Queen's Park Savannah were treated to non-stop action from as early as 8 p.m. when the band Surface served up the opening act.

This went on virtually until just before the break of dawn yesterday when Road March champion Shurwayne Winchester and his band Traffik brought down the curtains.

During a break in his performance, Machel Montano called out to the general admission audience behind the VIP section, telling them that they were too far and he wished they were closer. A few hearts in VIP skipped several beats as patrons in general admission began to rock the fence violently, but it held up and they eventually cooled down.

Montano told the patrons that he was a patriotic Trinbagonian and shouted, "Me no sign up with no Digicel, Mr Machel support TSTT all the way."

As the crowd cheered, he then called on them to hold up their lighted mobile phones saying, "I don't know how to solve crime, but I could talk to you and tell you to put your faith in God. Always."

He also commented on the statements being made to the international media by Jamaican reggae singer I-Wayne, who says that as far as he is concerned soca is the music of the devil. "I don't believe in Satan, I believe in God," Montano shouted to his screaming audience.

Bunji Garlin, too, commented on I-Wayne's statements during his performance, saying that I-Wayne can't ever come here to perform again after having disrespected the people of Trinidad and Tobago as he has. "I am not afraid to speak out. They asking me if I don't know who they is," Garlin said.

Garlin, who informed the audience that he has been told that a TT$100,000 bounty has been placed on his head, said, "If tomorrow you hear that something has happened to me,never forget that I was one of the baddest that ever pass through the business"

There was some loud grumbling when the VIP Bar Manager closed all the bars shortly after Montano's performance.

Patrons were angered when they were refused even water and ice by the workers and the police appeared on the scene to bring order. Show producer, Terrin Callender, eventually showed up to ask the bar manager why he had closed the bar when there were still drinks available. The bars were then reopened for a while.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:59:05 AM by Tallman »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: reggae vs. soca ??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 03:03:26 PM »
hey i left and article there some time ago on iwayne's statement go read it
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Re: reggae vs. soca ??
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:08:29 PM »
alright thanx

1]; } ?>