April 28, 2024, 03:36:14 PM

Author Topic: Carlos gets high praise  (Read 3579 times)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlos gets high praise
« on: February 22, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »
http://www.sunderlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2068441&SectionID=5849

Edwards can be Keane's key signing
Gary Rowell

I'D like to pick out Carlos Edwards for special praise this week.
I made him my man-of-the-match at Birmingham and he scored as good a goal as you'll see all season to take Sunderland to the brink of victory.
And in my opinion I think he might just be the best signing Roy Keane has made that season – he could be that important to the team.
The players from the big name clubs – Jonny Evans from Manchester United and Anthony Stokes from Arsenal – are understandably going to attract the attention and the headlines.
But it could be a relatively little known winger from Luton Town who proves to be the find of the season for Sunderland.
I just think he has added something to the squad which has been missing for some time – balance.
Even when the team was doing really well earlier in the season, in the away games at Derby County and Leeds United for example, I still thought they lacked that balance on the right wing.
A succession of players have been played in that position over the last few seasons.
Heck, we've even had plenty of players playing there this season but no-one ever really looked as though they relished it.
Dean Whitehead, Stephen Elliott, Toby Hysen, Liam Miller have all done a job there but you could never class them as genuine right wingers.
But Edwards is exactly that and since his arrival Sunderland's midfield looks as though it has genuine balance.
In my opinion, he's the best right-winger we've had since Nicky Summerbee (left) was at his best.

Take
the positives

I'M writing this week's column the day after the night before – as far as the Birmingham City game is concerned – and I have to say that the morning after I'm still feeling a little bit robbed by the result!
I'm gutted because I thought that the first 45 minutes of the game was as good as we've played all season and the only thing it lacked was a second goal.
When you take everything into consideration – the quality of the opposition, the fact that we were away from home and the pressure of the fixture – you couldn't have wished for a better display from Sunderland.
They played at pace, showed great vision, won their tackles, passed the ball well and Birmingham City couldn't live with us up to the break.
The second half was a more evenly-balanced affair and credit to City for never giving up and working their way back into it but even then, I still thought we were the better side in that half too.
What you have to say firest and foremost is that it was a cracking game of football and a great advert for the Championship.
For the neutral, it would have been great to watch.
I've been a bit criticial of the quality of football on view in the Championship this season and I stand by that view. But I have to say that Tuesday's game was a genuinely exhilarating game of football and a credit to both teams and the division they're playing in.
It's just that as a Sunderland fan, I know Sunderland deserved more than a draw from that game.
And from listening to their respective press conferences after the game, the managers on both sides knew it too.
You can never relax in a high-pressure game when you're only 1-0 up and that's the way it panned out for Sunderland on the night.
As a Sunderland fan I'm gutted because as a supporter or as a fan there's nothing worse than conceding a last-minute goal which robs you of points, it knocks the stuffing out of you.
But looking at the bigger picture – the performance rather than the result – I have to say I'm very encouraged.
Ifelt before the game that we didn't have anything to fear against Birmingham but now, after that performance, I honestly believe we can go anywhere in this division and get a result.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos gets high praise
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
Great work Carlos!!!
he got a great reception by fans today, read about it here
http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=202713
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JW

• Mackem Abroad
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Eat My Goal
    • View Profile
    • Black Cats of North America
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:17:24 PM »
For those of you who don't know who the author of that piece is... check this:beermug:
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:40:27 PM »
Very touching. I had to hold back tears oui. Carlos boy, yuh make meh proud dread, and is not like life was made easy for you with no silver spoon eh. Real hard work and perseverance and yuh career was almost ended with that injury at Wrexham. Nuff respec'  :beermug:
Ah feel as if I could do anything when I see dem boys prevail against adversity. Thanks for de inspiration.

Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
A very nice read. It is great to see Carlos getting appreciated in this way.

Patience, humility, perseverance, industriousness....and some of the nastiest beat I ever see.

A good balance I say.

Respect to one of the best ever to wear a T&T uniform.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rene Simoes states: 'Lawrence and Edwards not talented enough'
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
By Kwame Williams (Trinidad Guardian)

Tuesday, February 19 2002

Rene Simoes, Trinidad and Tobago's national football coach, said defender Dennis Lawrence and midfielder Carlos Edwards are not talented enough to play for him.

Simoes, who is also T&T technical director was responding to the comments made by football agent Mike Berry, who is calling on Simoes to give Hector Sam, Clayton Ince, Lawrence and Edwards an opportunity to represent their country.

Simoes, who took over the national team from Scottish Coach Ian Porterfield in June said that Lawrence and Edwards never impressed him and this is why they were not selected for his Gold Cup squad.

"It is my decision as coach to pick who I think should play. I saw Dennis Lawrence and Carlos Edwards in action when the team was being coached by Porterfield and frankly I was not impressed by their performances," said Simoes.

"Where age issue is concerned, I told everyone that after the Gold Cup I will be looking at the younger players with respect to qualification for the 2006 World Cup. Although Dennis is younger than Reynold Carrington, who is over 30, I find Reynold to be the better defender," Simoes added.

"The players I select are the ones that suit my style of coaching and play. These agents have their own agendas to see about so it is only natural that he (Mike Berry) would be displeased if his clients are not selected," he went on to say.

Clayton Ince, who was on the Gold Cup roster but did not get to play, was also disappointed by Simoes' choice to start Shaka Hislop instead of himself, but all Simoes had to say about that was, "I think Shaka is the better goalie."

Simoes admits that he has only seen Hector Sam on highlight tapes but said he has already told Sam that he would be invited for any friendly games that Trinidad and Tobago will be playing.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rene Simoes states: 'Lawrence and Edwards not talented enough'
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 08:21:28 PM »
By Kwame Williams (Trinidad Guardian)

Tuesday, February 19 2002

Rene Simoes, Trinidad and Tobago's national football coach, said defender Dennis Lawrence and midfielder Carlos Edwards are not talented enough to play for him.

I thought Simoes was a decent coach. People were saying the team improved well under him in his short time and he was a real vocal feller. I remember he used to write letters in de newspaper telling de public how to show their support. But reading this, it making me wonder.

I hope Simoes watch the 2nd leg in Bahrain and all our 3 games in Germany, and remember dis interview.

Last job he had was Iran U-23...what he doing now?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:43:08 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:38:43 PM »
But to be honest, Carlos wasnt better than Angus Eve then
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 08:41:52 PM »
"It is my decision as coach to pick who I think should play. I saw Dennis Lawrence and Carlos Edwards in action when the team was being coached by Porterfield and frankly I was not impressed by their performances,"

my point exactly Israel...doh get tie up in how the reporter interpret what the man say...reporters jus trying to catch people eye and sell papers....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 08:53:56 PM »
wow!! how tallman even remember dat article to post it?

hell of a memory
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 09:11:57 PM »
reporters jus trying to catch people eye and sell papers....

Why yuh dissing this particular reporter eh.
 :rotfl:

Tallman yuh wicked.

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 09:21:53 PM »
good going loose.... keep yuh head up and bring it home..... EPL next year for U :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 10:14:43 PM »
It just shows what hard work can do
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 01:04:06 AM »
High praise indeed from Lord Rowell, the man who once scored a hattrick against Newcastle  :beermug: :beermug:
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
SuperCarlos Edwards on Safc.com
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 01:15:17 AM »
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline Co Durham

• New Warrior
  • Were gonna need a bigger boat..
    • View Profile
For Carlos lovers
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 06:54:57 AM »
Un chat noir c'est pour plus d'une saison c'est pour toujours bonny lads, pour toujours.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 08:12:46 AM »
Cardiff v Preston

A scoreless tie would be good today....

1   Derby 63
2   West Brom 62
3   Birmingham 61
4   Preston 59
5   Sunderland 57
6   Southampton 56
7   Cardiff 56
8   Wolverhampton 56
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: For Carlos lovers
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 10:37:35 AM »
Thanks Co Durham

i see your dog is nice to the CUNFs
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »
WE WANT TO GO ALL THE WAY, INSISTS ROADRUNNER
Feb 23, 2007
Sunderland Echo

PROMOTION-chasing Sunderland are determined to end the season undefeated in 2007.
Championship leaders Derby are tomorrow's visitors to the Stadium of Light, but face a tough task against a Black Cats side that has not lost a league game since the turn of the year.

And flying winger Carlos Edwards – nicknamed Roadrunner by his team-mates – says it's crucial to maintain that record if automatic promotion is to be achieved.

The Black Cats are fifth in the Championship, six points behind top dogs Derby, who lost 2-0 at home to Stoke City on Wednesday. Edwards said: "That was a good result for Stoke – and for us, too!
"We have to get on with the job tomorrow. We were only able to draw at Birmingham on Tuesday.
"But life goes on and football goes on. We are still in a good position to get automatic
promotion.

"It's not over yet, and we'll keep going right up to the final whistle in the final game of the season.
"We've been pushing for so long to get into the play-off places and now we are there, but we want more. "We are in a position where we can go for automatic promotion and we are the in-form team at the moment. "We are unbeaten in 2007 in the league, and hopefully we can continue that record right up to the end of the season."

Bustling Rams striker Steve Howard stands between Sunderland and a fifth clean sheet in six games.
And he's a man Edwards knows well from their time together at Luton Town.
The winger said: "I know Stevie really well from the year-and-a-half I spent at Luton.
"He's a good striker – strong and powerful. We'll be friends off the field tomorrow, but for 90
minutes we'll be enemies.
"He's scored a lot of important goals for Derby this season and our defence will have to be on its toes
against him."

Edwards's goal record has been excellent this season from midfield, his strike against Birmingham being ninth of the season. But he's looking to bring more out of himself in the remaining games.
The 28-year-old added: I've been pleased with my form recently, but I know I can still do a bit better.
"We've put in some good team performances recently andI hope that the manager has been happy with my contribution.

"The lads have given me the nickname 'Roadrunner'! I'm happy with that and it's great to have your
team-mates encouraging you to carry on doing what you're doing."
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline safcpat

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »
When I saw Carlos play for Luton against Sunderland I had never heard of him but I kept wishing he would go off because it seemed we were losing a lot of possession to him and he was so fast. So I was over the moon when we signed him.
He has been brilliant and I hope he stays with us forever.

Carlos  I Love You!! :applause:
I like you, you remind me of when I was young and stupid

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »
CARLOS CARLOS CARLOS IS THE MAN OF THE MOMENT!!!!!

CARLOS YUH SHOULD SHOW THEM THAT TAPE FROM THAT MEXICO GAME WHEN YUH LOCK UP THE MAN BACK WITH THE BEAT ON THE WING!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
Beep-ah bleepin-Beep boooyy.... :rotfl:

ah jus imagine-ing dem lef-backs settin trap like d coyote.....watch yuh cont-ents yes

1]; } ?>