March 28, 2024, 02:14:53 PM

Author Topic: T&T v Republic of Ireland  (Read 18583 times)

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T v Republic of Ireland
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »
Contact players from that game.

Some of the players from that game, heavilly involved in Coaching now, are Brian Willimas (Petrotrin),
Ron La Forest (Ma Pau????)

Others who could be easilly found, Clayton Morris, John Granville (in England), Leroy Spann. The ASL manager, Arthur Suite.

VB
I live in Chicago and have never been to TnT, do you know a good way to contact these guys by phone or internet or letter?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
Cal the TTFF.

Ask for the Press Officer's phone number. He is Sean Fuentes.

Let him know what it is you are looiking for. I have done so in the past and he was quite decent.

I believe La Forest is coaching Mau Pau and Williams Petrotrin.

Feel free to google them as well. Petrotrin is a big oil Co. so a phone number for them should be no issue.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:35 AM »
Cal the TTFF.

Ask for the Press Officer's phone number. He is Sean Fuentes.

Let him know what it is you are looiking for. I have done so in the past and he was quite decent.

I believe La Forest is coaching Mau Pau and Williams Petrotrin.

Feel free to google them as well. Petrotrin is a big oil Co. so a phone number for them should be no issue.

VB

Dont waste your time calling Shaun Fuentes, save your phone card, is either he dont know or he cannot give out information.... he does act funny.....

Yes La Forest at Ma Pau...

http://www.socawarriors.net/pro_league_standings.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:49:58 AM by Star Child »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Alright guys, time for the three year bump and an update.

Following the last bump in 2008 I got sidetracked (thats when I started my site) and wasn't able to complete this research.  I recently picked it up again though.  I tracked down Veron Skinner, Keith Eddy, and Frank Haynes' email addresses (they all played in matches the year before this one) and emailed them all, but haven't heard back (also these guys may not have played as, as was mentioned earlier, it was apparently a B team in this games).  I contacted SW member dervaig who seemed to know Garnet Craig, but I haven't heard from him either.  I looked up Brian Williams, Ron La Forest, Clayton Morris, Leroy Spann, and John Granville but wasn't able to get any contact info (besides a three-year-old email for Spann which I don't think is working).  Anyone have any ideas on how to contact these guys?  Obviously Williams isn't at Petrotrin with them being gone and La Forest is out at Ma Pau I guess, Morris is now at T&TEC but they are new so I don't know how to contact them, and I don't know what is going on with the other two.

Any help would be much appreciated, I won't let it slip through the cracks this time  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:27:26 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »
Like I said I'm not going to let this slip through the cracks this time...surely someone at least knows how to get in touch with T&TEC?  Maybe last time was a bad time to Bump this thread as it was just before the Bermuda match.  Thanks :)

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 11:53:19 AM »
Well I'm still not giving up but unfortunately I have run out of leads.  Bakes gave me a list of contacts that helped, but it is a few years old so some of it is out of date.  I got in contact with Clayton Morris about a month ago, he emailed me back confirming that he did play in this match, but did not respond to the follow up email regarding any other players who might've played.  Tallman was nice enough to contact Brian Williams on my behalf, but unfortunately he does not remember this match.  I emailed my source at CONCACAF who I often get match data from for my website, but I don't think he has any information.  I have also tried to get in touch with John Granville by emailing some of the clubs he used to work at, but unfortunately none responded to me.  So from here on all I have left to go on is hopefully getting in contact with John Granville, Ron La Forest, or Leroy Spann, and I don't think the latter two are working with any clubs at the moment who could help me.  Shaun Fuentes maybe could help but I don't know how to get in contact with him either.  I do have some phone numbers but I can't really call as its very long distance.

Anyway this is the last time I will bump this thread unless I get new information...otherwise I will just leave the note in my signature and hope someone who has some info on this match sees it. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 02:45:02 PM »
Hard luck with the effort... yuh better sign up to VIP to call long distance and save yuh tips yes Worm, lol

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
Well I'm still not giving up but unfortunately I have run out of leads.  Bakes gave me a list of contacts that helped, but it is a few years old so some of it is out of date.  I got in contact with Clayton Morris about a month ago, he emailed me back confirming that he did play in this match, but did not respond to the follow up email regarding any other players who might've played.  Tallman was nice enough to contact Brian Williams on my behalf, but unfortunately he does not remember this match.  I emailed my source at CONCACAF who I often get match data from for my website, but I don't think he has any information.  I have also tried to get in touch with John Granville by emailing some of the clubs he used to work at, but unfortunately none responded to me.  So from here on all I have left to go on is hopefully getting in contact with John Granville, Ron La Forest, or Leroy Spann, and I don't think the latter two are working with any clubs at the moment who could help me.  Shaun Fuentes maybe could help but I don't know how to get in contact with him either.  I do have some phone numbers but I can't really call as its very long distance.

Anyway this is the last time I will bump this thread unless I get new information...otherwise I will just leave the note in my signature and hope someone who has some info on this match sees it. 

Michael Maurice may have been the second string keeper in those days. Ask him if you can find him, he's on the local scene.
If I'm not wrong Peter Granville from Tobago is related to J. Granville. Try the Tobago FA. Perhaps Doc can lend a hand there.
The W Connection Coach, Stuart Charles Fervier also played for ASL at this time. He should be close to Spann as they were ASL team mates and Spann has worked for W Conn.

VB

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »
Hard luck with the effort... yuh better sign up to VIP to call long distance and save yuh tips yes Worm, lol
Thanks, I actually quit working in the restaurant a few months ago though so no more tips.  Today was my first day of my fourth December at UPS, was an 11 hour day between orientation and actually delivering (I got a special exception to go straight from orientation because of my good history), but I'm hoping to put aside enough to go to Euro 2012 (its a longshot) so its OK.
Michael Maurice may have been the second string keeper in those days. Ask him if you can find him, he's on the local scene.
If I'm not wrong Peter Granville from Tobago is related to J. Granville. Try the Tobago FA. Perhaps Doc can lend a hand there.
The W Connection Coach, Stuart Charles Fervier also played for ASL at this time. He should be close to Spann as they were ASL team mates and Spann has worked for W Conn.

VB
Thanks a lot, I will check these out.  I have Muhammad Isa's email and he works with Maurice at Police FC so I hope he will help.  I also have Peter Granville and Fervier's emails so I will try them as well, though only Clayton Morris has responded at all out of the 6-7 players I have emailed (no surprise I guess).  I emailed Fuentes early this morning but no word from him yet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:12:17 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »
Thanks, I actually quit working in the restaurant a few months ago though so no more tips.  Today was my first day of my fourth December at UPS, was an 11 hour day between orientation and actually delivering (I got a special exception to go straight from orientation because of my good history), but I'm hoping to put aside enough to go to Euro 2012 (its a longshot) so its OK.

VB
Thanks a lot, I will check these out.  I have Muhammad Isa's email and he works with Maurice at Police FC so I hope he will help.  I also have Peter Granville and Fervier's emails so I will try them as well, though only Clayton Morris has responded at all out of the 6-7 players I have emailed (no surprise I guess).  I emailed Fuentes early this morning but no word from him yet.

Try actually calling Sean (use Skype) as I said before, I called him a few years ago to get some numbers for an interview and he was quite gracious. Also for Spann, in addition to Fervier, trying getting a phone number for W. Conn and the Southern Football Association.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 01:30:01 AM »

VB

Try actually calling Sean (use Skype) as I said before, I called him a few years ago to get some numbers for an interview and he was quite gracious. Also for Spann, in addition to Fervier, trying getting a phone number for W. Conn and the Southern Football Association.

VB

W CONN.
Phone +1 (868) 679 4721
 Fax +1 (868) 679 4726
E-mail wcfcstaff@wconnectionsportsgroup.com

SFA
Phone: (868) 652-1172
Fax. (868) 652-1172

E-mail: sfa1994@yahoo.com

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »

VB
Thanks, he actually just emailed me back and said he would look in to it and try to dig up some info, so I'm hoping he will turn something up.  Thanks for those contacts as well, I will try those addresses soon.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
Yes Sam,

those scores are the other way around.

I clearly remember the Swed and Mex. games.

TT was playing with a basci second Eleven as certain players were persona non grata with Jack.

marcelle made his debut in the Sweden game.

A Mucurapo Jr. Sec. Keeper (Ali??) made his debut vs. Mex.
VB

Was you joking vb? Or was Jack playing his games 26 years ago?

All players involved in the Premier League were banned from the National Team. Believe me, I know. It was a dark time in our football & it looks as though the eclipse has returned.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
All players involved in the Premier League were banned from the National Team. Believe me, I know. It was a dark time in our football & it looks as though the eclipse has returned.
Do you have any guesses for players who might have played in this match?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »
Now that I think about it, the ban came after 1982. If I am not mistaken the ban came later, maybe 1984-85. The qualifications for 86WC were sold. Two games in Costa Rica & Two in the USA. Coops and Doc may remember more on this.
Why I say that is because Flamengo & Corinthians came in 82, it was the second season for the Premier League. Jan Zawartkrusi a Dutch man was brought in as TD, in October. Roderick Warner as coach. The T&T Squad for that year was made up of mainly the following:
Granville, Maxwell, Spann, Nelson , Alexander, Puckerin, Garcia, Williams, Rahim, De Silva, Spann, Morris, John, T. Williams, Denoon, Haynes, Alibey

All were in the Premier
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
Thanks a lot Observer, I will try to get in touch with those guys,

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
Well I finally got the information thanks to Stuart Charles-Fevrier (who got the info from Leroy Spann).  Thanks to all who have helped me in the search, it was much appreciated.  I may try to write an article on this with info from both sides, we'll see.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »
Happy St. Patricks Day, everyone!!

Just got a request for information on this match in my inbox. I guess we still don't have much on it. I'll send him what I have.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
It was actually Don himself who just contacted me.

So just to summarize what we have on this.

30 May 1982
Arima, Arima Municipal Stadium, attendance approx. 6000

T&T scorers: Ralph Nelson & Frank Haynes
Rep. of Ireland scorer: Liam Brady

T&T squad: Ralph Nelson, Frank Haynes, Clayton Morris

Rep. of Ireland squad: Seamus McDonagh (Bolton Wanderers), Eamonn Deacy (Aston Villa), Mick Martin (Newcastle Utd), Mike Walsh (Everton), John Anderson (Preston North End), Gerry Daly (Coventry City), Tony Grealish (Brighton) capt, Liam Brady (Juventus), Johnny Walsh (Limerick Utd), Gerry Ryan (Brighton), Brendan O'Callaghan (Stoke City)
Subs: Mick Fairclough (Dundalk) for B O'Callaghan, Sean O'Driscoll (Fulham) for Deacy, Kevin O'Callaghan (Ipswich Town) for Ryan
Manager: Eoin Hand

Sources:
http://socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/senior-team-news/fixtures-results.html?view=matchreport&id=146
http://www.kickinmagazine.ie/international/30582trinidad.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20071119125938/http://www.kickinmagazine.ie/international/30582trinidad.htm
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=2546.msg784571#msg784571

There is a match report in the Irish Press newspaper of June 1, 1982 available at http://www.irishnewsarchive.com. The preview says "Irish Tour Ends In Shambles. Trinidad & Tobago 2. Ireland 1. IRELAND finished its shoddy tour of South America with another defeat—this time by Trinidad"

You have to pay to get the full story and I'm sure there are other papers there with a report.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 05:35:08 PM by E-man »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2012, 10:48:44 PM »
Thanks E-man,

I finally got back in touch with Donal about a week ago and sent him the T&T information I was missing.  He said he was still interested in finding the full T&T line up but is quite busy at the moment (battling bears up in the Canadian wilderness I assume).  Do you think the TTFF would even have the information in their archives?  I believe the federation was still the TFA back in 1982 (not sure there) so I figure when it got rebranded (or whatever happened) it could've been lost then.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
I see VB has been looking in to some historical matches and that reminded me of this match.  Unfortunately, I can't say I've done too much research in the past 7 years, but maybe I can give a little more info.

Regarding the match against ASL (apparently played at Queen's Park Oval 24 hours before the Irish team left for home), the Irish news reported 3-1 with Kevin O'Callaghan, Gerry Ryan, and Sean O'Driscoll scoring for Ireland.  When I contacted Stuart Charles Fevrier and he initially gave me the goalscorers back in 2012 (I believe he checked with Leroy Spann to get the info), he had told me Ireland won this one 4-0.

I did also access the article E-man mentions in the above post a while back (I have it saved if anyone is interested).  It did not provide much information at all, other than Liam Brady scored first, T&T equalised just before half time, and got the winner 15 minutes from the end.

Earlier this year, RTE ran a radio documentary on Ireland's tour to South America/T&T in 1982 and it is available here: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVMX9IR9aWQ
The only thing of real substance I remember learning was that Johnny Walsh, who got his first and only cap against T&T, was given two caps by the FAI, for his matches against Trinidad and Tobago

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2022, 02:07:04 PM »
Soccernostalgia Question: John Walsh of Limerick made his only appearance vs. Trinidad and Tobago on May 30th, 1982 at Port of Spain (1-2 loss). What can you tell of the background to his selection?

Mr. John O’Carroll Response: Firstly the background. Having narrowly failed to qualify for the World Cup finals in Spain, as a consolation the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) organised a tour of South America at the end of May in 1982. The intention was to play four games, against Chile, Peru, Argentina and Brazil who had all qualified for the World Cup finals. An added bonus was that the game v Brazil was to be played in the Maracana Stadium. Shortly after the announcement of the tour, the Falklands War began and Argentina quickly became outcasts in the eyes of the English. This impacted on the Republic of Ireland team because with the exception of Liam Brady, all the Irish players were playing in the English League at this time. The FAI took the view that Ireland was neutral in the Falklands dispute and as such should be able to call on their English based players to tour without English interference. The Irish manager, Eoin Hand, unsuccessfully attempted to get the English clubs to release their players. The English clubs had no issue with the Republic players going on the tour provided the Republic did not play Argentina. Some in the FAI wanted the Argentina game to go ahead and even suggested calling up players from the League of Ireland (the amateur part time Irish domestic league) to make up numbers for the squad. Eventually the pressure over the Argentina game wore the FAI down and Argentina were taken off the itinerary. A game was hastily arranged v Trinidad and Tobago instead.

By the time the Argentina game was cancelled however it was just two weeks before the tour. Peru had also withdrawn from playing Ireland for unknown reasons. As a result, Arsenal and Manchester United had already embarked on post season tours and their Irish players had gone with them. In 1982 it wasn't possible to hop between destinations at short notice! Tottenham were featuring in a replayed FA Cup Final so their players - Chris Hughton and Tony Galvin - were also unavailable.

With so many players unavailable, Eoin Hand resorted to picking the best League of Ireland players and some lower league English players with Irish ancestry. Eoin was also managing Limerick United at this time and they had just won the FAI Cup (the domestic cup competition of the Republic of Ireland). John Walsh was a prominent member of the Limerick team and Eoin Hand rated him highly as Eoin was John's manager at club level. As a result, John Walsh made one appearance against Trinidad and Tobago.

The Trinidad and Tobago game has always been shrouded in controversy. Even today several players who played in this game and also the manager Eoin Hand are still adamant that this game was not a full international. No press or media were present for this game so the only information we have on the game was from the Trinidad FA. The Irish maintain that on arrival in Trinidad they played two games - one against a club side and the other v Trinidad and Tobago. The Irish say that they beat Trinidad and Tobago but lost the game to the club team and that the Trinidad and Tobago authorities switched the match results!

John Walsh was a carpet salesman in Limerick and said that when the caps for this Trinidad and Tobago game were awarded afterward, he received a cap with the number 2 on it. He maintains that the FAI thought that Trinidad and Tobago were two separate football teams and as such, one game was against Trinidad and the other was against Tobago!

Mick Fairclough of Dundalk and Sean O'Driscoll were also capped twice each on this South American tour. Neither player was capped previously or capped afterwards.

http://soccernostalgia.blogspot.com/2022/02/republic-of-ireland-jackie-chalton.html
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2022, 11:31:55 AM »
For those interested, I went to the Library in Washington DC to try to find information on this match -- it seems the Trinidad Guardian didn't really run any report on it.  Not sure what other papers were around then, but, either way, the library here doesn't have them.

I did get some info on the match they played against the ASL side though, posted it here on a stats account I run.
https://twitter.com/StattoLOI/status/1582423723453599745

1]; } ?>