April 24, 2024, 12:39:31 PM

Author Topic: Chutney Soca Thread  (Read 29882 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Chutney Monarch !!!!! (Samraj Jaimungal ) RIKKI JAI
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »
Something to consider

The event was a Bmobile sponsored event.

Ravi B is a Digicel endorse

The voting was via text...

Bmobile had a big full page artwork ad congratulating the winner...the winner was chosen Sunday morning.

Ad agency doh work on a Sunday(esp Panorama Semi-finals)...for it to reach in papers Mon morning it had to be in place before. Maybe they took a picture of all the contestants and did the artwork before hand but still...

Finally watch something...Check and see if Kess could win Bmobile Groovy Soca Monarch with Wotless.

The tune good but if is the same text vote ting....I tellin yuh he coming second and the winner if not already an endorsee will be a new bmobile endorsee.

You feel Destra could ever win a Soca Monarch?

Alyuh watch d ting nah.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:17:58 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
I find this was very irresponsible and he should be penalised for this...he essentially was promoting violence, this should not in any way be encouraged. Tote yuh feelings but doh ask the crowd to pelt objects.

Further the promoter is an ass to have the contestants in the show perform AFTER the results. All performers should be guests. No contestant should perform ATALL...dat prejudicing the crowd.

Source Trinidad express

Ravi B apologises for behaviour
By Nigel Telesford and Innis Francis

Story Created: Feb 20, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT

Story Updated: Feb 21, 2011 at 8:00 AM ECT

Dethroned Chutney Soca Monarch, Ravi Bissambhar, has apologised to fans, patrons and Southex Ltd, promoters of the annual Chutney Soca Monarch competition, after inciting irresponsible behaviour from the fans at the end of his guest performance at the show on Saturday night.

Following the announcement of five-time winner, Rikki Jai, as the 2011 monarch, the remaining 3000-plus audience at the Skinner Park, San Fernando venue had shouted a resounding "nooooo" and began chanting Ravi B's name.

Overwhelmed by the controversial results and subsequent crowd response, Bissambhar and his band, Karma, later performed an emotional 40-minute set of popular cover songs and their original songs for the gathering during the after-competition fete. Before beginning his set, Ravi B asked the audience if they were happy with the results.

After performing a few songs, he instructed his sister Nisha B and other band members to leave the stage.

"Nisha B, Gregory, fellahs, I want allyuh to walk off the stage," Ravi B said.

He continued, "All those who say the title was between Ravi B and KI?"

The crowd shouted their approval.

Ravi B then walked to the right corner of the stage and said all those who were unhappy with the results to pelt something.

Immediately, a shower of bottles and other projectiles, including footwear, cans and cups, rained down on the stage, forcing band members and stagehands to scamper to safety. The police then brought an abrupt end to the event. Thankfully, no one was hurt during the incident.

Obviously displeased and disappointed with Bissambhar's actions, promoter George Singh then spoke privately with the young singer and his family in their dressing room for several minutes.

Afterwards, Bissambhar apologised to the officers on duty, his family and band mates.

He later told the Express: "I'm very sorry for doing that. It was irresponsible of me and people could have been hurt because of the silly suggestion that I gave the people. I got caught up in the emotions of the night and didn't think before I opened my mouth. I sincerely apologise to the fans, Mr Singh and his whole staff for my actions."

However, Bissambhar said he felt he had delivered a great performance and believed the audience did not agree with the results.

"It was heartbreaking to have put out all that energy and to have worked so hard and still lose this way. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Rikki, as someone who has paved the way for Chutney music and for me to exist today and I must congratulate him on his victory. I hope he flies the chutney flag and by extension the flag of T&T very high this year."

Yesterday, however, Riki Jai expressed his shock at Ravi B's response to the loss, saying it was distasteful how Ravi B incited the crowd to violence.

He said: "That was the ranting of a sore loser. One minute he was in front trying to create an impression for the world to see and the next minute inciting violence with the crowd."

Saying he had once been called a mentor by Ravi B, Rikki Jai added, "If that is how you treat your mentor, I don't want to see how he would treat his enemy. It is a sad day for chutney. And as a former monarch that behaviour was very immature.

"He even tried to bring KI into it, but KI came backstage soon after it happened and apologised to me for what had happened. He said 'uncle Rikki I had no part in what happen.'"

The six-time monarch said last year when he finished second in the competition he did not have any grouse with the results. He said, however, that Ravi B's comments yesterday morning were not going to distract him.

"I left the venue with the people who came with me and celebrated. That wasn't the time to deal with that kind of thing," Rikki Jai said.

–With reporting by Anna Ramdass

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 01:46:04 PM »
Dat $2 milly have contestants in all dem events behaving like wajanks!!!!  Another stupid idea from the win-the-popularity-contest government.  Kamla stand up on a platform and ketch ah glad the Saturday before election last year and make this stupid promise.  OK so she feeling obligated to carry through with the promise.  Well at least split the $ 2 million among all the receipients of a prize.....so with first place getting $2 milly and 2nd place getting $100,000 as in this case, that $100,000 must be feeling like a $1.00 bill today eh Ravi boy........real dotishness, but I've come to expect nothing else from this government by vaps administration..... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
Dat $2 milly have contestants in all dem events behaving like wajanks!!!!  Another stupid idea from the win-the-popularity-contest government.  Kamla stand up on a platform and ketch ah glad the Saturday before election last year and make this stupid promise.  OK so she feeling obligated to carry through with the promise.  Well at least split the $ 2 million among all the receipients of a prize.....so with first place getting $2 milly and 2nd place getting $100,000 as in this case, that $100,000 must be feeling like a $1.00 bill today eh Ravi boy........real dotishness, but I've come to expect nothing else from this government by vaps administration..... ::)

Not a bad idea at all, however the organization and disparity between 1st and 2nd could have been better

However regardles, bottom line is that Ravi B reacted poorly.

Good point Touches being it run by BMobile
whey boy!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 05:33:48 AM »
Ravi should hold a ban from all competitions for a minimum 2 years, a strong message must be sent to discourage any artist from making those kinda statements.

I actually prefer 3 years from all competitions.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 05:50:12 AM »

Not a bad idea at all, however the organization and disparity between 1st and 2nd could have been better

However regardles, bottom line is that Ravi B reacted poorly.

Good point Touches being it run by BMobile

Yes I agree the idea is a good one however the execution is poor because its not tied to any policy or strategy.  It was just something Kamla thought up the Saturday morning before the elections last year......

And yes Ravi should hold a burn......idiot!!
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 07:00:03 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cL0s_Jih1wg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cL0s_Jih1wg</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cL0s_Jih1wg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cL0s_Jih1wg</a>

He's ah rel kakahole.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 06:11:10 PM »

Ravi boi..ah didn't look out fuh yuh dey at all :-[
WTF were u thinking  ???

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Something to consider

The event was a Bmobile sponsored event.

Ravi B is a Digicel endorse

The voting was via text...

Bmobile had a big full page artwork ad congratulating the winner...the winner was chosen Sunday morning.

Ad agency doh work on a Sunday(esp Panorama Semi-finals)...for it to reach in papers Mon morning it had to be in place before. Maybe they took a picture of all the contestants and did the artwork before hand but still...

Finally watch something...Check and see if Kess could win Bmobile Groovy Soca Monarch with Wotless.

The tune good but if is the same text vote ting....I tellin yuh he coming second and the winner if not already an endorsee will be a new bmobile endorsee.

You feel Destra could ever win a Soca Monarch?

Alyuh watch d ting nah.

but wasnt that how it was last year? didnt b mobile sponsor it last year? wasnt voting via text? and didnt ravi b win d title last year?

i think the international voting is what f**k up the other contestants. rikki jai is a chutney stalwart, around plenty years. foreign based trinis who love chutney know rikki jai. ravi b is a now come. i love ravi b, but he behave like an ass
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Chutney Soca Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 06:04:29 AM »
It have no way Ravi, Kes or Destra could win any kinda Bmobile Soca Monarch Competition.

Only Kes have a Chance in Groovy but Benjai and "Trini" go beat him.

Source Trinidad Express

Digicel texters unhappy over Chutney Soca snub

Story Created: Feb 23, 2011 at 2:47 AM ECT

Story Updated: Feb 23, 2011 at 2:47 AM ECT

Customers of mobile provider Digicel complained yesterday they were not allowed to vote by text message for the performer of their choice during Saturday night's Chutney Soca Monarch competition at Skinner Park, San Fernando.

Digicel communications manager Penny Gomez said a number of Digicel customers complained to the company that they were unable to send text messages to vote in the competition.

She confirmed to the Express yesterday that Digicel customers could not vote using their mobile handsets.

The competition was sponsored by State company TSTT's bmobile service which provides cellular services to customers across the country.

Gomez said that competitions like the Chutney Soca Monarch had cultural significance and were of national interest and Digicel customers "felt disenfranchised and were very upset because they were not able to vote".

Several customers registered complaints on Digicel's Facebook page about not being able to vote, the Express observed.

Asked about Digicel's recent Rising Stars contest, which allowed only Digicel customers to vote for the winner, Gomez said the company has written to the authorities saying it would have no problem if the competition was open to mobile customers of both TSTT and Digicel.

Digicel will continue to sponsor dethroned Chutney Soca Monarch Ravi Bissambhar (Ravi B) who called on fans to throw objects on stage if they were unhappy with the results Saturday night.

Samraj "Rikki Jai" Jaimungal won the $2 million first prize.

Bissambhar has apologised twice for his statements.

Gomez said he will perform today during Digicel's Digifit Carnival Burn workout session at the Queen's Park Savannah, Port of Spain, along with other Digicel-sponsored artistes Destra Garcia and Kees Dieffenthaller.

—Curtis Rampersad

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 07:28:43 AM »
I doh think the result last year was totally based on text votes. I could be wrong.

But last year Ravi B tune was big. De only competition he really had was Rikki.

Dis year me eh really hear no chutney....or nuttin dat i think deserve to be in memory. And i wasnt home to take it in. So i cyar comment on who woulda, coulda or shoulda win.

Dahs how it play off...dahs it. Not much i could do bout it.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
I doh think the result last year was totally based on text votes. I could be wrong.

I think it was.  Soca Monarch allows for part votes and part judges points to decide the winner.  I don't think that is the case with Chutney Soca, but I stand to be corrected.....

Dis year me eh really hear no chutney....or nuttin dat i think deserve to be in memory. And i wasnt home to take it in. So i cyar comment on who woulda, coulda or shoulda win.

Yuh eh miss nutten.  Last was rum, this year is rum, next year go be rum too.........boy that genre of music's expiry date has long gone.....but let me doh say nutten lest I be accused of not keeping up with the times.  If Kamla keep this dotish $2 million 1st prize thing, next year ah making a Chutney bout Scotch and Coconut Water and mash dem up..... ::) ::)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:14:02 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »

I think it was.  Soca Monarch allows for part votes and part judges points to decide the winner.  I don't think that is the case with Chutney Soca, but I stand to be corrected.....

Yuh eh miss nutten.  Last was rum, this year is rum, next year go be rum too.........boy that genre of music's expiry date has long gone.....but let me doh say nutten lest I be accused of not keeping up with the times.  If Kamla keep this dotish $2 million 1st prize thing, next year ah making a Chutney bout Scotch and Coconut Water and mash dem up..... ::) ::)

I coming with straight Puncheon so iz real fire.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »

Big Mag or you singing...?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »

I singing and Big Mag on guitar..... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
chutney is a joke and an embarassing bastardization of soca music.

rum, rum, rum to the same melody in every song. absolute rubbish.

who vex, vex.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 07:15:20 PM »

who vex, vex.

here we go again...
 ::)

soca is only about wining and bumper over de same riddim

who vex, vex and who enjoy it, enjoy it
whey boy!

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »

I singing and Big Mag on guitar..... ;D

He guitar up for auction to pay the warriors
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »

who vex, vex.

I tired ah de 'rum' talk too... just like I used to be tired ah de "rag and flag" songs from a couple years ago.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »
good point allyuh.

i go write an ol fashion kaiso bout this now.

"ras shorty go spin rong in he grave
they only want to sing bout jump and wave
or mih gyul lef mih so i drinking rum
and i cyah get a wine on a bum bum..."

to be continued

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »

who vex, vex.

I tired ah de 'rum' talk too... just like I used to be tired ah de "rag and flag" songs from a couple years ago.
But like they getting better .
classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zovb6FPeTJo&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8nFzqa1ik&feature=related

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
2011 Chutney Soca
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
De best tune ah hear so far is Tanty Man by Hunter. Ah hate de video, but de song nice.

Rickki Jai song is shit, how he win with that ?

Ravi B does use alot of old indian song rythems, but he songs better than Rickki Jai's.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:55:20 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Chutney Soca
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »
The quality and range of chutney-soca songs last year was much better than this year's!

Too much songs this year about drinking rum & horning, these two topics have gotten boring and monotonous now!!
Are Indo-Trinis not concerned about anything else?! For goodness sake!!   :-\
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »
no joke thing all dem chutney singers need to be taken outside and get beat.. Dey taking real nice indian song and f**king it up...
war
Black Lives Matter..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
The quality and range of chutney-soca songs last year was much better than this year's!

Too much songs this year about drinking rum & horning, these two topics have gotten boring and monotonous now!!
Are Indo-Trinis not concerned about anything else?! For goodness sake!!   :-\

::)
whey boy!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »
SocaKrapo...

Post de song Rickki Jai win with..

Because I know de song, but I just cant believe he win with that song, I just need a confirmation...

They cheat for Rickki Jai..

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:14 AM »
Get meh name right nah Sam!  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fC8XL3rW7QA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fC8XL3rW7QA</a>
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:05:03 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2011, 05:43:33 AM »
I had a feeling so !!!!

That Rickki Jai song is SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big tata.....

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2013 Chutney Soca
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
I really make this thread b/c of the gyul wining in the corner in this video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ARiQkiEwqJk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ARiQkiEwqJk</a>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:07:03 PM by Socapro »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>