April 29, 2024, 09:02:59 AM

Author Topic: "Concentration is the key to victory"... Connection's Elijah Joseph  (Read 2354 times)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
"Concentration is the key to victory" Elijah Joseph       
Tuesday, 27 February 2007 
Joel Villafana...Reporting live from Guadalajara Mexico

www.ttproleague.com

GUADALAJARA, MEXICO: He is just over four feet in height, but he is highly regarded as one of the best defenders in Caribbean football today and will be W Connection's tower of strength at the back when the Caribbean Champions face Mexicans Champions Chivas on Wednesday night in the CONCACAF Champions Cup Quarterfinal.

Elijah put in a sterling performance in the first leg of the home and away tie in front of his home fans at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium and played a major role in Connection stunning the Mexican Champs 2-1 in the first leg tie.

The 28 year old St. Lucian defender, so clinical in what he does is often overlooked, but as in the first leg encounter against Chivas, where he stood tall, the W Connection defender knows very well he will have to be at his very best for the second leg on Wednesday night at the Jalisco Stadium in Guadalajara.

After a morning training session on Tuesday, the diminutive defender admitted to ttproleague.com, he will have to turn it up a notch come Wednesday night against Chivas.

"First of all I was very happy with my performance in the last game at home, but this game coming up I know it will be a harder game and I will have to concentrate harder and ensure I am at my best."

"We are playing away from home, Chivas have a lot of passionate fans and I am sure they will come out in their numbers, so this will be a bit difficult to cope with, so it will call for a lot more hard work, I will have to be focused completely on the job at hand," said Joseph

"It's not the first time we will be playing in this sort of atmosphere, as we faced Toulca a few years ago in Mexico, but this time around we have a number of young players in the squad and with the chanting and noise I am expecting, it will be a challenge for the team, but I am confident the boys will deal with it and rise to the occasion."

The key to the game according to the St. Lucian defender; "We just have to play our roles, each player must carry out his function in the game, and we must concentrate individually and collectively and I am confident, if we play according to plan we will be victorious."

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:57:05 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
W Connection "Young Guns" ready to step up
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:38:18 PM »
W Connection "Young Guns" ready to step up       

www.ttproleague.com

GUADALAJARA, MEXICO: With more that 75% of this W Connection outfit under the age of 25, and no less than 10 players on the squad all coming through the club's youth programme, ttproleague.com spoke to 20 year old goalkeeper Kerwyn Beckles and young utility player Kern Cupid on what is undoubtedly the biggest game of their careers so far.

Both Beckles and Cupid will unexpectedly take their place in Coach Stuart Charles Fevrier's starting line up to face the experienced Mexican Champions Chivas in the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup Quarterfinal.

Beckles made a sudden entrance in the first leg of the home and away tie when first call goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams was ejected from the game after receiving a straight red card for handling the ball outside his area.

While Cupid will have to step into the all important defensive midfield role in place of Colombian born Christian Viveros, who got stuck in Colombia after being denied a Mexican visa.

Viveros however, is expected to arrive in Mexico on Tuesday night, along with Viana ahead of the match on Wednesday.
The two young Connection players did not seem to be overawed by the task at hand.

Beckles said, "Preparation for the game went well, so I am confident not only in myself, but for the entire team and I hope we can go out there and pull off another victory for our club, and our country."

"We have gotten accustomed to the climate and we know how it feels and how to pace ourselves, so I think we can get the job done," said the 20 year old goalkeeper.

Looking back at when he was called into action during the first leg match, he said he was surprised, but gave it his best shot, "While in camp I have always kept an open mind, because I know anything could happen in football, so when I saw Jan got that red card, I just told myself I just need to go out there and do my best and that's what I did, and in the end I made my club and country proud.

The young keeper informed ttproleague.com of the big role national goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams is playing in his career.

"He keeps telling me to remain focused, concentrate on my game ignore all the negativity and focus on the positives and most importantly train hard, he has really kept me focused on the game against Chivas and even beyond, having Jan so close to me, I just want to follow in his footsteps and one day hopefully make the national senior team as well."

As for young Kern Cupid, he is also confident of a W Connection victory come Wednesday night.

"It's a big game, but I am confident in my own ability and the team's ability, in all our preparations leading up the this game the coach keeps telling us we can match anyone we play against, and we proved that in Trinidad when we beat Chivas, so I am hoping to take my opportunity in this game and play my role to help W Connection win."

The young attacking minded defender ruled out the possibility of overconfidence, he said, "We have to keep our feet on the ground, we always know we were capable of defeating Chivas even with 10 men, we will be confident, but we won't get overconfident, I am sure the team will remain focused and hopefully we can come out victorious."

"It's a big game for me personally, knowing Fox Sports will be there, knowing the stature of the game in itself, so with all that in mind I am looking forward to going out and doing my best, I want to make the club proud and by extension the country, including all the fans back at home, and I want to prove to the coach he made the right decision in putting the confidence in me to start the game."

He ended, "I honestly believe we can do it, the team has the potential, and with the responsibility of Trinidad and Tobago's football on our shoulders, I feel we will go out there and play with our heart and soul to get the result we need."

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Connection ready...Fevrier in cautious approach
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:38:46 PM »
Connection ready...Fevrier in cautious approach       

www.ttproleague.com

GUADALAJARA, MEXICO: All is set and ready. Vibe CT 105 W Connection are getting ready to play what is arguably the biggest game in their club's history when they face Chivas of Guadalajara on Wednesday night at the Jalisco Stadium in Guadalajara in a CONCACAF Champions Cup Quarterfinal second leg match.

Much to the surprise of many football fans throughout the CONCACAF region the "Savonetta Boys" will go into this all important clash holding a one goal advantage, after their shocking 2-1 win over Chivas at home at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella Trinidad.

Wednesday's second leg tie will kick off at 9 p.m. (Mexico time), 11 p.m. (T&T time) at the Jalisco stadium in Guadalajara.

The boys from Couva arrived in Mexico seven days ago and according to the team's manager Raymond Mc Lean this was an important decision by the club's management.

"The guys have all settled in well, the senior players have all been here before and have helped the younger guys settle in over the last week or so. It was very important for us to be here and acclimatize to the conditions here and we will be ready for the game."

The team is staying at the Primavera Hotel and Sports Club located on the outskirts of Guadalajara, which is some 45 minutes away from the Jalisco stadium.

The facility is a top notch one resting on over 500 acres of land, it comprises of hotel accommodation, at least three football training fields, along with a number of other training facilities including an Olympic size pool.

The TT Pro League "Manager of the Year" told ttproleague.com everyone on the squad is very focused on the job at hand, "It is a very important game for not only W Connection, but important for the country, and for professional football in Trinidad, so we will be going all out to get to the semi-final of the tournament."

As to whether overconfidence will step in to the ranks, Mc clean said, "The Technical Director has been instilling in the boys that there is no room for overconfidence, because Chivas is the top club in Mexico, we cannot take them lightly and they will be coming out to defeat us after we surprised them back home, so I believe the team will be confident, but will not get carried away come game night."

"This is the biggest game in W Connection's history," continued Mc Clean, "When I first came to the club, the President David John Williams said his dream was to see the club in a CONCACAF Club Championship final, and this is a stepping stone towards that, so the match tomorrow is very important as a semi-final place is up for grabs."

Meanwhile Technical Director Stuart Charles Fevrier told us the team has settled in well and everyone is ready for the match, but expressed some disappointment with not having two of his key players here in time to prepare with the team.

"We have settled in well, we have been here close to 8 days we have been doing night sessions, as we prepare for the time the game will be played," said the St. Lucian born coach, "Our only problem is that Ronaldo Viana and Christian Viveros were denied Mexican visas for no real apparent reason and that was a disappointment for us as they were not able to prepare with us."

Viana, a Brazilian midfielder did not feature in W Connection's first leg victory over Chivas at home because he was on a trial with a South Korean club in Brazil, however, Colombian born Viveros played a crucial role in midfield and now may not start the game.

"We are hoping they come in tonight, and if they do we will include them in the squad, and put them on the bench, the good thing is that while in Colombia they were training with a Colombian club team, said Fevrier.

He admitted this has affected the plan somewhat, "Viveros has been a starter in the defensive midfield, and we will miss him, but all our players are very much capable, I have confidence in all my players and I will be replacing him with Kern Cupid and I am backing Kern to come in and do the job."

As regard the game plan, the 2006 Caribbean Club Championship winning coach says, "I don't think we can come here and play an open game, Chivas are a much more experienced team and that is the fact and they are at home, so we will have to play a counter-attacking game."

"We have a 1-0 advantage and our main aim is to preserve that advantage, so our top priority is defence, because if we can maintain our advantage then we are assured we will be through to the next round, and that's our objective."

Coach Fevrier is proud of his charges thus far, but admits a lot of work still needs to be done for Caribbean teams to compete consistently at this level.

He claims, "We (W Connection) have always given a good account of ourselves at the CONCACAF level, we still feel we have a lot of work to do to be consistent at this level, so this is why this gave is so important to us, because we have a lot of young players in this present squad that have come through our youth system and we want to prove to ourselves, to the country and all the detractors that we are capable of playing at this level and doing well.

He concluded, "This is a responsibility that we take very seriously, we want to show the rest of clubs in the Pro League that we can all compete at this level and achieve success."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Connection ready...Fevrier in cautious approach
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:00:49 PM »
This reminds me of d Bahrain game
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Connection ready...Fevrier in cautious approach
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »
I wish Connection the best of luck.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "Concentration is the key to victory"... Connection's Elijah Joseph
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:41:40 PM »
I coulda swear Joseph was younger. At that age he might be in Connection defense for the rest of his career. Any youth man waiting on his spot may have a long wait.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
"Concentration is the key to victory" Elijah Joseph       

www.ttproleague.com

GUADALAJARA, MEXICO: He is just over four feet in height, but he is highly regarded as one of the best defenders in Caribbean football today and will be W Connection's tower of strength at the back when the Caribbean Champions face Mexicans Champions Chivas on Wednesday night in the CONCACAF Champions Cup Quarterfinal.

Elijah put in a sterling performance in the first leg of the home and away tie in front of his home fans at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium and played a major role in Connection stunning the Mexican Champs 2-1 in the first leg tie.

The 28 year old St. Lucian defender, so clinical in what he does is often overlooked, but as in the first leg encounter against Chivas, where he stood tall, the W Connection defender knows very well he will have to be at his very best for the second leg on Wednesday night at the Jalisco Stadium in Guadalajara.

After a morning training session on Tuesday, the diminutive defender admitted to ttproleague.com, he will have to turn it up a notch come Wednesday night against Chivas.

"First of all I was very happy with my performance in the last game at home, but this game coming up I know it will be a harder game and I will have to concentrate harder and ensure I am at my best."

"We are playing away from home, Chivas have a lot of passionate fans and I am sure they will come out in their numbers, so this will be a bit difficult to cope with, so it will call for a lot more hard work, I will have to be focused completely on the job at hand," said Joseph

"It's not the first time we will be playing in this sort of atmosphere, as we faced Toulca a few years ago in Mexico, but this time around we have a number of young players in the squad and with the chanting and noise I am expecting, it will be a challenge for the team, but I am confident the boys will deal with it and rise to the occasion."

The key to the game according to the St. Lucian defender; "We just have to play our roles, each player must carry out his function in the game, and we must concentrate individually and collectively and I am confident, if we play according to plan we will be victorious."

Is this a typo or for real? ???
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 08:49:58 AM »
He is just over four feet in height

Must be a typo....The man cannot be a little over 4ft...
I wonder if these fellas is re-read they article before publishing

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:36 AM »
he must be a dwarf (my precious)  :P
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 10:51:17 AM »
Elijah Joseph is not 28

He around the same age with Earl Jean, could even be older

and he not 4 ft......
 ??? ???
he is about  5'6 or 5'7

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 02:50:37 PM »
Elijah Joseph is not 28

He around the same age with Earl Jean, could even be older

and he not 4 ft......
 ??? ???
he is about  5'6 or 5'7

He's 32 years old. Earl Jean is 35 and this may be his final year with connection. He's a good player though. He played in England a few years back.
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

1]; } ?>