March 28, 2024, 03:58:41 PM

Author Topic: T&T U-17s running on hills... face Mexico in friendly on Sunday.  (Read 10682 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
T&T U-17s running on hills.
... face Mexico in friendly on Sunday.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Members of the Trinidad and Tobago’s National Under 17 team would have viewed W Connection’s 3-0 defeat to Mexican club giants Chivas on Wednesday night and will prepare themselves mentally for what head coach Anton Corneal hopes is a challenging warm-up affair against Mexico’s National Under 17s on Sunday afternoon.
The junior “Soca Warriors” are continuing their build up towards the CONCACAF final round of qualification for the FIFA Under 17 World Championship in Korea.
Following their recent two-match tour to Honduras, the U17s will face the Mexicans at Fatima College Grounds, Mucurapo from 4pm on Sunday and then on Tuesday from 6pm at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.  The Mexicans are the defending World Under 17 champions from 2005 and have the same coach in Jesus Ramirez. The nucleus of their current squad also comes from Chivas which Ramirez said recently is an advantage to their preparations.
“You can’t ask for better friendlies than this,” Corneal told TTFF Media on Thursday as he looked ahead to the two games. “It will give us a chance to get more exposure against a top team and one which will be similar to Costa Rica which is in our qualifying group. This will give us an idea on what part of our game we need to keep building on. We need to improve on our defense against dead ball situations better than we did against Honduras.”
Corneal, who has Hutson Charles as an assistant coach in his staff, added that there are now 24 players in camp and the final 20-man team will be selected over the next few weeks leading up to the opening qualifier against Costa Rica scheduled for April 28 in Kingston, Jamaica.
Currently the team, skippered by goalie Jesse Fullerton, has been undergoing strength endurance training with team trainer Gilbert Bateau.
“We have been doing strength endurance work but, because of the games this weekend we have curtailed it a bit and will resume after the second game.
“Part of the endurance training entails running hills and we usually do this on the Maracas and Caura Valleys three days a week for about 90 minutes in the evening,” Corneal explained.
Over the past few months, the former T&T national said he has witnessed a change in attitude by the players, adding that he is seeing an increase in desire to improve and strive for success. we will continue regular preparations after the games.
“What we have seen is a change in attitude towards preparations in training.. The players they are consciously working hard and that is a good base to have. These players want it badly. Maybe it can be a trickle down from our experience at the 2006 World Cup, They know it will take a lot of work but they are willing to do all it takes in an attempt to fulfill  their dreams.”
One new player, US-born midfielder Isiah Ferguson out of New York is expected to make his debut against the Mexicans who will arrive in the country on Saturday as they have encountered problems in obtaining visas to enter the country, similar to what was encountered by Club Chivas for last  month’s Champions Cup match with W Connection.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:37:37 AM by Flex »
Live large and prosper!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U17S RUNNING ON HILLS... face Mexico in friendly on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »

Currently the team, skippered by goalie Jesse Fullerton, has been undergoing strength endurance training with team trainer Gilbert Bateau.

“We have been doing strength endurance work but, because of the games this weekend we have curtailed it a bit and will resume after the second game.

“Part of the endurance training entails running hills and we usually do this on the Maracas and Caura Valleys three days a week for about 90 minutes in the evening,” Corneal explained.

We still doing these kinda things boy ???
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:08:57 PM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »

And what wrong wit dat exactly?

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »

i was going n ask that meh self.
beyond falling and injuring yuh self. that kinda triani good. better than gym
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 05:29:21 PM »

running hills  is not good for the joints....grass, sand, mondo track  are better options..... :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:32:15 PM by futbolfan »
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 05:44:39 PM »
running hills  is not good for the joints....grass, sand, mondo track  are better options..... :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

dat sounding real boring.  Maybe the 17 year olds prefer being outdoors...work on team bonding and get their enthusiasm up.
If you had to train hard 3 times a week at that age what you prefer...gym or maracas?

I think Jerry Rice also did(does?) a lot of cross training even up to the end of his career.
The Hard Way...his training routine.  Ah beast   :o
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:54:21 PM by dcs »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »
As a track athlete, they should have been doing this a long time ago. it takes a few months to fully gain that level of fitness, believe me if footballers mix off season track training with football training you will have a rel fit squad. but it never too late to start, well actually it is  :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 06:14:12 PM by die hard warrior »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 06:18:04 PM »
very technical statement from the coach ...we meeting the world champions and his comment is we runnin hills ? Couldn't we hear of something a little more technical than that ..... Oh yes and rocky was punching cows in de freezer to beat apollo ....
well i guess de hills must be alive .....

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 06:24:09 PM »
very technical statement from the coach ...we meeting the world champions and his comment is we runnin hills ? Couldn't we hear of something a little more technical than that ..... Oh yes and rocky was punching cows in de freezer to beat apollo ....
well i guess de hills must be alive .....
:)
Two islands are better than one.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »
Running hills is not just like that. It could mess your knee up really bad. Running hills is what you do during the off season, not when you getting ready for an internatioanl game. BUt, I guess they know what they doing.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline DeLasTrini

• New Warrior
  • Don't blink on me. Or u just might miss my goal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:44:15 PM »
Running hills is not just like that. It could mess your knee up really bad. Running hills is what you do during the off season, not when you getting ready for an internatioanl game. BUt, I guess they know what they doing.

That is quite true and why run hills so close to game day. The logic on that one escapes me.
As a track athlete, they should have been doing this a long time ago. it takes a few months to fully gain that level of fitness, believe me if footballers mix off season track training with football training you will have a rel fit squad. but it never too late to start, well actually it is  :D

Funny you should say that because myself and few of my mates do the same thing.

The one thing that saddens me with reading all the post on the chivas/west connection game is the bitterness and inabilty to take the good and bad with it. I watched that game on FSC that night to gauge the abilities of 1 of the best club teams from Trinidad. What did i personally think of the game. I was embarrased yes. Some have stated we lack Fitness, Technically and Positionally unaware etc etc. Heck i don't know if they were mentally shaken that they were playing chivas at there ledgendary stadium. So what? I don't think there heads where in the game  and they were beaten mentally in the game. In the first 15mins of the game I thought they were going to frustrate Chivas by defending against them and disrupting there play and go for the first strike early on. Chivas made lots of mistakes in the first 15 minutes that our team failed to capitalize on that left me thinking to myself what are they doing.
I personally was hoping the first half would have been scoreless cause i know personally how mexican teams get frustrated when they can't get that early goal to feed the energy. Though as i continued to watch this game to the very end why is it we started playing when the match was almost over.
That should have been the way we should have been playing from the first whistle like they walk in your house and slap your mother. The other thing that had be puzzled is why didn't we play at least a 1- 5 -3. Since these guys like to control the middle after working the ball from the back. With in the 5 minutes of play and I saw them running the wings and kept switching the field of play I knew we were going to concede. You can probably swear or attempt to belittle me but it was plain as the nose for all to see that night where we need to brush up on. If it means over the course of the next 20 years for us to develop programs like they have in place in the USA or Netherlands then so be it.
I know we have huge amounts of talented players in T n T cause i have ran into few while i have been up here playing. I would love to see more of the clubs in TnT have more trips to south and central america and also to USA to play against some of the teams here. 
What's the Meaning of the Word Quit. I don't know the meaning of it. Trini to the Fullest.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 10:33:18 PM »
They actually getting ready for a tournament later in the year. The game against Mexico is an interlude.
TnT Patriot

Offline DeLasTrini

• New Warrior
  • Don't blink on me. Or u just might miss my goal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 10:58:46 PM »
They actually getting ready for a tournament later in the year. The game against Mexico is an interlude.

ty for pointing that out mate. Much appreciated. :beermug:
What's the Meaning of the Word Quit. I don't know the meaning of it. Trini to the Fullest.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »

That is how Costa Rica NT and Costa Rica U-21 does train. Not sure about their U-17. To make it even more intense they run up the hills with weights. Of course they started out more humbly but to reach and maintain that level of intensity they came a long way...must have real powerful limbs by now. It reaps dividends as they play a very energetic game and their NT is fairly successful on the international level

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »
i getting so sick ah this board eh

couple months ago we wouldnt be playing no friendlies, no training, no preperations

corneal and dem read de board and say ok lewwe do somthing

costa-rica was training fuh de WC and running up ah hill and everybody on this board praise them now we doing it and it bad

change all allyuh name to coach nah

stupesssssssssssssss........................................................................... go tnt
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 04:19:33 AM »
Good work with the preparations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that Hill running in Maracus is GREAT !!!!!!!!!!

Them youths have to put ankle weights on they foot and run to build speed and strength.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:45:33 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 07:08:34 AM »

couple months ago we wouldnt be playing no friendlies, no training, no preperations

costa-rica was training fuh de WC and running up ah hill and everybody on this board praise them now we doing it and it bad

stupesssssssssssssss........................................................................... go tnt

Well said morvant, yuh save meh ah post!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U-17s running on hills... face Mexico in friendly on Sunday.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 07:53:45 AM »
A frequent lament read on this discussion board is for local coaches to modernize their training methods. With that in mind, in the late sixties we were running hills regularly. Now in the late 70's - early 80's, we were moving away from that type of endurance work to sport specific work. I am by no means a sports or exercise physiologist, but I would think that 3 days running hills would not improve their football which to me is of paramount importance.
As the coach he should be aware of periodization - micro and macro cycles, when to taper the loading to allow for maximum effort on match day. So this in short is my perspective for raising the question if we still doing these things, to see what other think. The fact that the question raises the dander of some is only amusing to me :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 08:23:17 AM »
The man mention that they running hills and folks assuming that is all they doing for training.  The quote was
Part of the endurance training entails running hills and we usually do this on the Maracas and Caura Valleys three days a week for about 90 minutes in the evening,” Corneal explained
Stueeps. A man say that not going to improve their football...allyuh good oui.
They used to do pushups on the 60s also, does that mean its no longer an effective part of a workout routine?

I am sure there is more to the preparations than just running hills.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
A frequent lament read on this discussion board is for local coaches to modernize their training methods. With that in mind, in the late sixties we were running hills regularly. Now in the late 70's - early 80's, we were moving away from that type of endurance work to sport specific work. I am by no means a sports or exercise physiologist, but I would think that 3 days running hills would not improve their football which to me is of paramount importance.
As the coach he should be aware of periodization - micro and macro cycles, when to taper the loading to allow for maximum effort on match day. So this in short is my perspective for raising the question if we still doing these things, to see what other think. The fact that the question raises the dander of some is only amusing to me :devil:

Doc, sometimes you have to go back in order to move forward. This have nothing to do with modern times. A little extra running up Maracus hill is excellent. I am sure the team is doing gym work as well and other modernize stuff to your acceptabilities... or that I hope....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:34:16 AM by Flex »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 08:37:36 AM »
With the right equipment (shoes in particular) and supervision, a well designed hill work out is very good for endurance. Grass (and maybe sand) workouts are easier on the joints, but I imagine that it's more difficult to find a sandy or grassy incline for a hill workout.

Repeated road running without proper equipment, could cause shin splints, stress fractures & joint wear & tear....but I think it goes without saying that the coaching staff knows about this.....

so let's not get carried away.

GO T&T !!!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »

this board have de best coaches in de world
sittin on the lard ass cyah trap ah ball to save thye life.
 :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 09:43:54 AM by THE Polished Hoe »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 09:43:39 AM »

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
   Breds nobody can please these guys.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 09:44:53 AM »
wait nah...ent wim and jan  also involved in this u-17 programmes....so allyuh saying anton doing crap and wim watching and saying nothing???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »
I think the harmful part of hill running is the downhill run.

So if they walk down or get a ride from the top it shouldn't cause any problems.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 10:26:27 AM »
I am sure or would like to think, at least, that anton knows exactly what he's doing with this.  He has been coaching long enough and under the tutelage of men like Leo, he MUST be doing everything up to modern-day standards. Whatever issues I may have with anton have nutting to do with how he running this team.  I actually believe he will do quite well with them.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »

I not sure bout dat nah...although more power is generated around the joint, the mechanics are not necessarily different...Uneven trrain however would be more detrimental, but I don't think it matter detrimentally, if incline or not..I could be wrong

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/208/10/1963

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
I don't care what modern day training and facilities it have,can anyone tell me what's wrong with running Hills?you want to tell me those ppl living on the hills in Lavantille all have bad knees?(smile)the past players that suffer with their joints today i'm sure it's not because of running hills because how many of them ever did,Ronaldinio and Ronaldo does do Gym and look at the size of them fellas,it have pros and cons of everything.

I used to train for Football like a marathon runner(Maracas Hills was my domain) ,it was when those English Coaches we hired came to T&T they introduced weights in our training,Sammy Llwelyn was a top long distance runner in the country(one of our best Footballers),i did a bit of weights when i worked with our U16 team with Latapy,Faustin,Marcel etc etc

I think we had this topic some time ago and a lot of these questions came up,at what age should kids start using weights?how much weights should they use?what period before a tournament should they use weights?how many teams in T&T have access to weights?

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 11:36:35 AM »
jes make sure dey wearing the proper running sneakers and not no samba or tugs.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

Okay maybe I am ahead of myself but if we have atleast 3months before de real games or even two this is de off-season?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know