April 28, 2024, 06:50:38 PM

Author Topic: T&T's famous cocoa  (Read 7368 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
T&T's famous cocoa
« on: March 01, 2007, 11:58:46 PM »
Trinidad Express
Thursday, March 1st 2007
T&T's famous cocoa
John Spence

Cocoa and chocolate are in the news. Medical research suggests that consumption of these products is beneficial to our health. This suggests an expanding international market for cocoa products and since many people would like to combine pleasure with healthy living this means that fine-flavoured chocolates should be in particular demand. Can this country capitalise through the fine-flavoured cocoa for which we are famous? To answer this question we need to discuss the history of cocoa in this country. But let us first refer to the findings on the beneficial health effects of cocoa and cocoa products.

The effect that has been most researched is on cardiac health. It has been suggested that flavonoids in cocoa acting as anti-oxidants have a beneficial effect on cardiac function that is similar to the effect of red wine. Based on preliminary findings a new effect has been suggested recently that the flavonoids in cocoa may increase the blood supply to the brain raising the prospect for treatment of dementia. In referring to these medical effects I am not in any way recommending medical treatments; each person should consult a physician for advice on chocolate consumption.

These reports, however, will no doubt improve the market for cocoa products. Dark (bitter) chocolates are likely to be more beneficial than chocolates with milk and/or various fillers. Flavour is more important in dark chocolates as it is not masked by the other elements. Since this country produces only fine-flavoured cocoa these new developments act in our favour.

In a previous article (Express, July 24, 2002) I discussed the history of cocoa in this country. I will now summarise the main points of that discussion.

Cocoa (fine-flavoured Criollo type) was first introduced into Trinidad in the 16th-century, centres of origin and diversity of cocoa being in South and Central America. Then in the 18th-century a disease devastated local plantations. Varieties known as Forastero which were disease-resistant, but of less fine flavour, were introduced from Venezuela. Interbreeding took place between what was left of the original Criollo and the newly introduced Forastero to produce a new type known as Trinitario. This material was selected by the planters to produce superior varieties and it is this type for which Trinidad is still famous.

In the late 1920s or early 1930s yet another cocoa disease (Witches' broom) was introduced into this country which attacked the Trinitario. This coincided with the worldwide economic depression of the 1930s and resulted in decline of the cocoa industry in this country.

Dr Pound, who worked both in the Department of Agriculture and at the Imperial College of Tropical Agriculture (ICTA), and others, made expeditions into South America to collect wild cocoa varieties resistant to Witches' broom. He had also made a selection in 1932 of 100 trees locally that are known as the Imperial College Selections (ICS) clones. Further collecting expeditions were made from Trinidad by Baker (1953-joint Anglo-Colombian expedition) and Chalmers in 1968 and 1972. Material of the Allen collection (from South America) has been moved to Trinidad and collections have been made in Belize by V. Mooledhar.

Because of the range of material assembled in Trinidad, this collection of over 2,000 accessions, is recognised as the most valuable collection in the world and is known as the International Cocoa Genebank, Trinidad (ICG,T) which is under the care of Cocoa Research Unit of the University of the West Indies.

A breeding programme, which is recognised as the most successful breeding of cocoa in the world, was started in the Department of Agriculture in 1949. W.E. Freeman continued the hybridisation through several generations over a period of some 30 years to produce the Trinidad Selected Hybrids (TSH) clones. The TSH clones are high yielding with a good measure of disease resistance while retaining the fine flavour for which Trinidad cocoa is famous.

Although this country does not officially allow the TSH material to be exported, a publication from Brazil refers to the use of a TSH clone in a cocoa breeding programme in that country. Every effort should be made to secure intellectual property protection for varieties that may be produced in the future but it is my understanding that a new variety is about to be released by the Ministry of Agriculture without protection!

There is no doubt that Trinidad and Tobago has led the world in basic and applied research on the cocoa plant and its pathogens and in spite of this the industry is in a sorry state. The annual production of cocoa in this country has declined from a high of 75 million pounds in the 1920's to between 1 and two million pounds, a level which could lead to the complete demise of the industry if drastic action is not taken.

In my next article I shall discuss the prospects for revival of the cocoa industry in this country.

TrinInfinite

Re: T&T's famous cocoa
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:04:17 PM »
we always had de bess, it is sad 2 see how blessed our nation is and how cursed we are 2 have leaders like de ones we have...

God is de BOSS...

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »
talking about that, any forumite bought the special edition world cup chocloate they produced form trini cocoa to commenarate our first world cup?
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »
talking about that, any forumite bought the special edition world cup chocloate they produced form trini cocoa to commenarate our first world cup?

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=24413.msg268635#msg268635

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:24:56 AM »
My Dad and them, own a coffe and cocoa plantation in Manzan .Went we were small we use to go pick cocoa with them hook rods and clean the place.Dry the pods and mom use to make them cocoa balls for tea  :drool: ,that was the best tasting tea ever!!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »
My Dad and them, own a coffe and cocoa plantation in Manzan .Went we were small we use to go pick cocoa with them hook rods and clean the place.Dry the pods and mom use to make them cocoa balls for tea  :drool: ,that was the best tasting tea ever!!
i have de closest thing... block cocoa.
i does buy n bring up everytime i in trini.
 the cocoa balls u tlkaig bout my mudda use to call dat creole choclotae.
if u want the block cocoa lemme know. ;D
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
Trinidad & Tobago Newsday
March 4 2007
In Memory of Asa Wright

By ANNE HILTON Sunday,

THE MEMORIAL service and Mass for Asa Wright was the second event to mark the 40th Anniversary of the Asa Wright Nature Centre. Before the Mass Dr Victor Quesnel gave a brief biography of Ausa (which, he said, was the correct pronunciation of her Icelandic name) including some amusing anecdotes of her life in Springhill, the estate she, and her husband Dr Newcome Wright bought shortly after the Second World War.

After her husband died, Asa Wright continued to manage the estate until her health deteriorated. For some years past she had been renting rooms to ornithologists, naturalists and birdwatchers wanting to visit the Arima Valley.

Early in 1967 she had a heart attack; it was obvious she could no longer manage the estate, or cater for visitors.

Previously, there had been some discussions on setting up a Nature Centre with Don Eckelberry, a bird artist and illustrator of international repute.

It was Eckelberry who persuaded a group of naturalists to buy Springhill and establish the Nature Centre, which was officially opened on November 5, 1967.

The aims of the Nature Centre were (and remain) two: conservation and education.

The first years were extremely difficult, in 1970 the Centre had to be closed for the best part of a year but still the Centre survived.

With the construction of more accommodation, many overseas visitors now look on the Centre as a hotel — with a difference, in that it is in the middle of a tropical rain forest.

For us locals the Asa Wright Nature Centre is an oasis of peace and quiet, welcoming parties of local schoolchildren, conserving the natural beauty of the Arima Valley, reaching out to the local communities by providing jobs, helping local community groups and schools.

The education programme includes various publications (with the help of the Guardian Life Wildlife Trust) lectures (there will be two this year), the annual Art Workshop and a Schools Essay competition.

Not least among the attractions scheduled for this year is the “Taste of Excellence” Asa Wright culinary week because, as those attending the lunch following the Mass for Asa Wright all agree, local dishes prepared by the kitchen staff can stand comparison with the better restaurants in Port-of-Spain.

So ended the memorial to Asa Wright. Next month there will be storytelling for primary schools at Springhill, and the highlight of traditional cocoa and coffee production, also at Springhill. Contact the Centre for details if you’d like to know more about our famous cocoa — and excellent (if underappreciated) coffee.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 01:39:46 PM »
My Dad and them, own a coffe and cocoa plantation in Manzan .Went we were small we use to go pick cocoa with them hook rods and clean the place.Dry the pods and mom use to make them cocoa balls for tea :drool: ,that was the best tasting tea ever!!

yeah, ah hear about real cocoa tea from trinidad but never taste it  :'(  my grandmother telling me about taking the coffee beans and drying them on the roof and then roasting and making coffee so - i real digging that plantation scene but ah does bun easy  ;)

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »
My Dad and them, own a coffe and cocoa plantation in Manzan .Went we were small we use to go pick cocoa with them hook rods and clean the place.Dry the pods and mom use to make them cocoa balls for tea :drool: ,that was the best tasting tea ever!!

yeah, ah hear about real cocoa tea from trinidad but never taste it  :'( 

You real missing put there breds, my mom used to make it for me when I was small. 

The closest thing I ever came to it was a spiced cocoa mix that I found, it was more expensive than regular cocoa (about $10 for two ounces) but it was worth it.  It was flavored with cinnamon, cardamom and red pepper and was really good.

I studied Agriculture at UWI and I spent some time at the cocoa research unit.  I always dreamed about saving enough money to start a business specializing in fine chocolates using the local cocoa, something to rival the Belgians and French.  I don't see why should be the only one to exploit our cocoa.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »
ah tell allyuh check meh ah have....and ah eh go buss allyuh eye with price  :angel:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 12:56:06 AM »
Trinidad Express

Trinidad Cocoa fetching $26,000 per tonne
but archaic state control of industry no incentive to boosting paltry 800-tonne production

By Raffique Shah

Wednesday, April 4th 2007

COCOA prices are soaring on the world market as global shortages loom large on a drought-stricken West Africa horizon. The International Cocoa Organisation projects a shortfall of 100,000 tonnes of the prized beans this year, although producers say it could be as much as 250,000 tonnes. A surge in demand for "dark" chocolate has fuelled prices that range from US$2,000 for "bulk cocoa" to US$4,200 per tonne for "fine" beans like those produced in Trinidad and Tobago and a few other countries. The premium "fine" cocoa comprises a mere five per cent of global cocoa production, and is used in the main for flavouring gourmet chocolates marketed at exorbitant prices to discerning consumers.

But this rise in demand for Trinidad and Tobago's much sought-after "Trinitario" brand has hardly benefited either local cocoa farmers or the country's coffers. If anything, the industry is stagnated. And blame for this has been placed on the archaic and very restrictive Cocoa and Coffee Act of 1962. This law created the Cocoa and Coffee Board which exercises tight control over all aspects of the industry, especially marketing the beans. Farmers can sell only to licensed agents, who in turn make commissions for merely drying wet beans. Also, of the four big cocoa farmers in the country, only one has had permission to sell his beans directly to a foreign chocolate manufacturer.

Sources at Board told Business Express that annual production of our premium cocoa stood at around 800 tonnes in 2006, with no increase forecasted for 2007. This is no more than what little Grenada produces. This country's revenue from cocoa exports in 2006 was estimated at TT$18 million. Potential earnings, if all existing plantations are fully rehabilitated, are estimated at between TT$60 million and $100 million. And with sugar cane in its final days, if conditions are right for farmers to switch to cocoa, overall revenues could be much higher with returns per acre more than three times what those in the sugar industry made.

"There are many reasons why cocoa production has declined this badly," said the Board official. "The Government, through the Agriculture and Food Production Ministry, has introduced many incentives to stimulate the industry. But for plantations that have been allowed to run down for many years, it's a tall order. Labour is problem number one. This adversely affects agriculture across the board, but no crop more so than cocoa. There are many instances in which farmers have abandoned their fields for lack of labour. People simply do not want to work on cocoa estates. We've had our share of adverse weather problems, too. Over the past few years the shifting weather patterns have been unkind to cocoa in particular. Bad husbandry does not help, and many farmers fail to inter-crop, missing the opportunity to increase their returns per acre. Also, for someone who wants to seriously enter the cocoa business, which includes drying and even roasting facilities, the capital costs could be high."

Still, there are a few individual farmers who are doing extremely well. A local industrialist who bought out the old Agostini Estate in Gran Couva and rehabilitated it has etched the central village's name on the gourmet chocolate market. Last week, in a Guardian (UK) article titled "Black Gold", it was stated: "Valrhona is a reticent French company that makes Grands Crus such as Guanaja, Manjari and Caraïbe, each a different blend of beans from countries including Venezuela, Madagascar and the Caribbean, and the 64 per cent vintage bars from named plantations in Venezuela, Madagascar and Trinidad." One such vintage brand is named "Gran Couva".

A Board official said while it oversees and growing, buying and marketing of the country's cocoa, individual farmers are being encouraged to link up with established chocolate manufacturers where their beans, once they maintain quality, fetch higher-than-premium prices. But he warned that there are counterfeit "Trinidad" chocolates on the world market. "Those in the business know that Trinidad cocoa, popularly known as 'Trinitario', grown mainly in some Caribbean and South American countries, commands premium prices, more than twice that of bulk cocoa. The main reason for this wide gap is that 'fine' or 'flavour' cocoa comprise a mere five per cent of world cocoa production. This 'black gold' is mixed with bulk cocoa to produce the more expensive brands of chocolates and cocoa beverages. We therefore have to guard against counterfeit cocoa being sold as originating in Trinidad in order to maintain our integrity."

The decline in production is worrying to the Ministry of Agriculture and the Cocoa and Coffee Board. Few farmers have struggled against the odds to rehabilitate abandoned estates or establish new ones. A major problem in rehabilitating old, sometimes abandoned estates is that the trees, especially those from old varieties, must be shaded by use of larger trees like the immortelle.

In new plantations, using new varieties developed locally, farmers use banana and cassava trees to provide shade until the cocoa plants are strong enough to stand on their own. The "shade" trees also provide the farmers with interim revenues as they wait for the cocoa trees to mature-usually in three to four years. New varieties developed by the Cocoa Research Unit (CRU), headed by Dr David Butler and falling under the aegis of the UWI, have fast-tracked their maturity, allowed for plants to be grown closer-around eight feet apart, yielding higher density than old farms in which trees were planted around 20 feet apart.

But control of buying beans by selected agents remains a disincentive, according to several farmers with whom Business Express spoke. "There seems to be no fixed basis on which beans are graded," they said. "Most of the beans we take to the agents are classified as Grade II, for which we receive less money. Also, because most cocoa farmers cultivate small acreages-five to ten-we do not have the capital or means to dry the beans. We therefore sell wet beans which fetch less than $4 per kilo. Properly dried beans, on the other hand, fetch between $10 and $18 per kilo. So we are at a serious disadvantage."

There are international standards set for grading beans. The International Cocoa Standards, according to a publication, require cocoa of merchantable quality to be fermented, thoroughly dry, free from smoky beans, free from abnormal or foreign odors and free from any evidence of adulteration. It must be reasonably free from living insects, broken beans, fragments and pieces of shell and foreign matter and reasonably uniform in size. Throughout the world the standards against which all cocoa is measured are those of Ghana cocoa. Cocoa is graded on the basis of the count of defective beans in the cut test. Defective beans should not exceed the following limits:

Grade I

- Mouldy beans, maximum 3%

by count;

- Slaty beans, maximum 3% by count;

- Insect-damaged, germinated or flat

beans, total maximum 3% by count.

Grade II

- Mouldy beans, maximum 4%

by count;

- Slaty beans, maximum 8% by count;

- Insect-damaged, germinated or flat

beans, total maximum 6% by count.

Cocoa production in this country, according to Ministry of Agriculture statistics, has fluctuated over the past few years. The table below shows total production, domestic exports and the value of exports for the years 1998-2002. See Table 1.

By 2006, production had declined to 800 tonnes, with a similar volume expected in 2007. Both the Board official and farmers who spoke with Business Express believe that if government and farmers can get their act together, this country stands to make significant earnings from the cocoa industry. Besides the rejuvenated Agostini Estate in Gran Couva, two other major, new estates are changing the face of the industry. CL Financial's head Lawrence Duprey, through Prism Agri Estates, has established a huge farm at Cumuto called La Louisa Estate. The company also bought La Maraquita Estate in Gran Couva, and two other estates in Moruga. Another Sangre Grande farmer currently has 35 acres under intensive production. "I have an additional 180 acres I can easily bring under cocoa production," said the Sangre Grande farmer. "But the restrictive laws that govern the industry are the major disincentive to people like me."

Asked to elaborate, he said he has installed two driers, one diesel-powered and the other electrical. "But I cannot offer the extra drying capacity I have to other farmers, according to law. In the classical case of the law being an ass, my equipment lie idle while small farmers are forced to take their wet beans to official 'agents', many of them shopkeepers of the old days. They simply buy the wet beans and dry them using sunlight, which itself is an archaic process. But they make commissions as 'middle men', while the farmers who toil in the estates get the dregs, literally. If government is serious about this industry, especially as sugar cane seems to be in demise, it must remove these restrictions-both the Act and the Board."

For the smaller farmers who sell their beans "wet" to agents, they fetch a mere TT$3.78 per kilo. This means from an acre of aged trees with little husbandry, farmers can hardly hope to earn more than $1,800. "There is no way we can survive on this pittance," said several small operators. "Government should facilitate us in becoming cooperatives and acquiring modern drying facilities. Only the agents and a few big farmers can afford those." Properly dried beans fetch between $10 per kilo (Grade II) and $18 (Grade I). The difference between selling wet beans and dry can mean, on a per acre basis, as much as $7,000. "That's a significant sum," said the smaller farmers.

But larger farmers, too, are crying out against controls the Board has over the growing, buying and selling of cocoa. They have found support in prominent agriculturist Professor John Spence, who thinks the Board is an anachronism in today's cocoa market. In a series of articles currently being featured in the Daily Express, Spence outlines the restrictions imposed on farmers by the Board, and argues: "Government intervention should have three objectives: (1) to provide a market of last resort to small growers (2) to monitor quality (particularly flavour that is not now considered) and (3) to provide research services through government agencies (in collaboration with CRU and including the continued creation of elite varieties). The Cocoa and Coffee Industry Act should be immediately repealed and replaced by new and less restrictive legislation (if necessary) that would achieve the above objectives."

The Sangre Grande farmer said new varieties he has focussed on, and which are available to those wanting to get into cocoa production, mature in as little as four years. "While the plants are growing, I use plantain and banana trees, as well as cassava, for shade. These crops give me good short-term revenues. After about four years I reap around 200 kilos per acre. But by year six I get as high as 1,000 kilos per acre. Since I have my own drying facilities, and I maintain good quality beans, I can gross around $18,000 per acre.

"If I add what I earn from inter-cropping, that's another $5,000 or so per acre. There is no other agricultural crop from which one can earn this type of returns. What turn me off from putting the remaining 150 acres into cocoa are the Government-imposed restrictions that make life for the cocoa farmer a rough one. If only they would free up the industry, control the quality of the beans to retain our integrity, but allow us to dry, roast and market our cocoa as we see fit, we can have a very thriving, very profitable export crop. Besides, there are immeasurable downstream prospects, as the Grenada Chocolate Company has shown."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:47:34 AM by dcs »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 09:09:06 AM »
nice article dcs. cocoa prices exploding now. sound like things would be alot easier if the govt move a little smarter.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 09:25:36 AM »
I see de headline and ah tell mehself dis have to be something interesting bout Cocoapanyol  ;D
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »
I see de headline and ah tell mehself dis have to be something interesting bout Cocoapanyol  ;D

I was about to say de same damn thing  ;D
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 10:38:11 PM »
um de name said T&T FAMOUS  coco not sw.net  :-X :-X...etc etc  ::)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »
alyuh feel alyuh alone have coco i have coco to , coco balls and coco long alyuh know anbody need coco this part of ny tell them call me .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »
Cocoa Tea waz de best ;)
my family had a plantation up before Waller Field
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 09:34:26 AM »

King cocoa is back with a bang
but we need to grab the opportunity to go fully downstream

Trinidad Express
Wednesday, April 11th 2007
By Raffique Shah

WHEN local business magnate Lawrence Duprey gets involved in any venture, other investors, industrialists, and in this case cocoa farmers, take notice.

Duprey, who was largely responsible for taking CLICO, the insurance giant, into new, billion-dollar ventures stretching from downstream energy plants (CL Energy is the biggest private sector firm of its kind in the Caribbean), financial services and the alcohol business, to buying up old cocoa estates, people take note. For many years cocoa was considered all but dead. Now, agriculturists and industrialists are looking with interest at what Duprey is doing in cocoa.

Over the past few years, a company named Prism Agri Estates Ltd, owned by Duprey, has bought four estates-the biggest in Tamana, another in Gran Couva, and two in Moruga. The total acreage of the four estates amounts to 1,650. On La Louisa (Tamana), where an abandoned estate is undergoing a virtual metamorphosis, using new varieties of the "Trinitario" fine cocoa developed by the Cocoa Research Unit (CRU). Trees at La Louisa are planted at around 1,000 per acre, utilizing new technology of having trees around six feet apart. Each tree, at maturity, produces one-to-two kilos of dried beans. Shade comes not from immortelle and other huge trees, but from commercially viable plantain and banana trees, which, in addition to protecting the young cocoa, bring in "interim" revenue. This is necessary since cocoa takes a minimum of three years before it begins to produce beans. It matures in five-to-seven years, and with good husbandry, can remain productive for as long as 30 to 40 years.

Why is Duprey so interested in cocoa? For that matter, why are three other relatively big businessmen venturing into cocoa at a time when smaller farmers are crying foul over the restrictions of the Cocoa and Coffee Act, and the controlling Board it spawned? The answer lies not only in a global scenario that shows increasing demand for the "holy bean" (it was so considered by the Mayans). It probably lies in a small chocolate company-really an old estate house-located in the mountainous region of Grenada. The story starts with an American named Mott Green who moved to the Spice Isle in 1988. When he first tasted what Grenadians (and some Trinidadians, too!) called "cocoa tea" (our "creole chocolate"), he was bowled over by its rich flavour.

By 1999, Mott had teamed up with small Grenadian farmers, established a cooperative-type, 100-acre cocoa farm, and transformed a two-storey house into a cocoa factory. It is one of the few field-to-factory chocolate producing facilities in the world. More than that, he went organic (no use of chemicals or fertilizers), acquired a solar-powered drier, and, presto, the Grenada Chocolate Company was born. Maybe because the industry is not as state-controlled in Grenada as it is here, Mott broke all the rules of the international "cocoa cartel", using the fine (yes, "Trinitario") cocoa not to sell as beans, but to make some of the tastiest and most expensive organic chocolate bars in the world.

An English fine chocolates dealer, Chantal Coady, intrigued by Mott's sample, visited Grenada. In a rave review of Grenada's organic chocolate, she wrote in The Guardian: "To call it a factory is stretching things. It is a domestic house, used purely for chocolate making. Behind is a plot of land where cocoa grows. All of this in 30C-plus temperatures and high humidity: breaking all the rules. And yet here was some of the best chocolate I have ever tasted: organic, ethical and made with solar-power right where the cocoa grows. The whole operation defied belief. A co-operative system ensures that all the workers, from the farmer to the chocolate maker, are paid the same rate. Not surprisingly, it is some of the most expensive chocolate in the world, at around £45 a kilo."

Therein lies the motivation for Duprey and other business magnates to enter the cocoa business and the answer to our Government groping for a way to stimulate the industry. While even those involved are skeptical about producing chocolates locally, preferring instead to link up with some of the prestigious chocolate manufacturers in Europe, Mott has proved that the unique "Trinitario" quality can be maintained (he uses only "fine" beans in his chocolates), that richly-rewarding niche markets can be found, and most of all that such ventures can be beneficial to Caribbean cocoa farmers and chocolate manufacturers.

Speaking with Business Express from his factory, Mott said the Grenada Chocolate Company was in the process of restructuring following the ravages of Hurricane Ivan. "We have installed new equipment, overhauled our factory, and in the fields, planted new trees to replace the ones destroyed by hurricanes." He said he was currently producing around 300 kilos of chocolate per week, but has the capacity to climb to 600 kilos soon. Eventually, the new equipment will enable the company to process 1,400 kilos per week.

How much of this is marketed abroad? "Around five per cent!" Mott said. "We simply do not have the capacity to process and export more. We have enquiries all the time, even from other Caribbean islands. But right now we cannot even satisfy the local market." A four-ounce bar of his chocolate retails for around EC$10 (TT$23). This translates into US$31/TT$200 per kilo. In the few shops in America and the UK where precious little is sold, the bars are sold wholesale for around US$2.75. "In exporting chocolates, one has to be mindful of the demands of shipping certain temperatures must be maintained. Marketing one's brand is also a challenge. Fortunately we have overcome that in the sense that our reputation has preceded us."

Based on the assumption that farmers enjoy no more than 30 per cent of the retail price Grenada Chocolate fetches, that amounts to a whopping TT$100,000 per acre! And this "guesstimate" does not include income from inter-cropping with high-value produce like ginger, bananas and plantain. It should be noted that none of our local chocolate manufacturers uses local chocolate. From Associated Brands to the smaller companies, they all import chocolate paste made from "bulk cocoa", which is much cheaper than "fine" cocoa, and does not have flavour that the chocoholic-world craves for. These companies cater for the mass market, not for the rich taste connoisseurs crave for.

In 2001, a number of institutions and renowned chocolate manufacturers (Lindt, Guttard, among others) paid for a study by the CRU. It was meant to assess cocoa flavour and standardize the definition of "fine" cocoa. Darin Sukha, Joint Research Fellow at the CRU, said the study was completed in 2006. He said: "The results of the project will contribute to improving the competitive position of fine/flavour cocoa as a distinctive product and, once established, fine/flavour cocoa should be able to retain and/or increase the premium which it typically commands on the market."

Sharing some of his thoughts with Business Express, Sukha said the irregular weather patterns we experienced over the past three years led to stagnation, and even a decline in production. "Cocoa trees throw off most of their flowers as it rains during that period. Bear in mind the 'cocoa year' runs from October to September, so rain in January or February does not help. Thus far this year we have seen better weather, so we can expect a better crop." He said local farmers who currently endure low yields, can, by good husbandry, triple their yields, hence their earnings. Regarding local producers trying to get into the chocolate manufacturing end of the business, Sukha said it was tough to enter. "There's certification to consider, which is controlled by the international bodies. Then there are start-up costs for driers and manufacturing equipment. One must consider, too, economies of scale, which could prove to be a disincentive to going straight to manufacturing chocolate."

He said, though, that we were losing great opportunities by not exploiting beans that are not fit for sale. "Cocoa is graded mainly by bean size. Those that do not 'make the cut', which include broken beans, go to waste. We can make 'creole chocolate' from these beans, and that's not only tasty as a beverage, but can be marketed beyond our shores." He said because of the huge increase in demand for cocoa beans, chocolate bars and beverages, many countries are trying to "clone" the much-sought-after "Trinitario" beans. Professor John Spence pointed out in his series on cocoa that we have the only International Cocoa Gene-bank in the world, located at the CRU. This Unit has thus far come up with selected hybrids that are high-yielding, disease-resistant, and maintain a unique flavour.

The Ministry's programme of incentives for cocoa farmers include a four-dollar-per-kilo increase for dried beans ($14 to $18), improvement of access roads, grants of $4,000 per hectare for new plantations and $2,000 for rehabilitating old estates, as well as subsidies for equipment, etc, that most farmers enjoy. Still, the industry has failed to make the quantum leap that was expected when the initiative was introduced a few years ago. "What government must do is remove the restrictions that the Cocoa and Coffee Act, and the Board, imposes on us," said one big farmer. "This, if coupled with educating people who are now getting into the industry, and with entrepreneurs who are willing to go all the way downstream, will really see us enjoy the benefits we deserve. Make no mistake about it: King Cocoa is back with a big bang. We cannot afford to miss the boat this time around. And the impending closure of the sugar industry gives us a great opportunity to replace it with a crop that brings returns far beyond most agricultural produce. We have the land space, we have the planting material. If we miss out on this surge in demand for our prized 'Trinitario' cocoa, we'd be fools."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:19:33 AM by dcs »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
More Than Chocolate - T&T's Cocoa the Best in the World
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
http://www.islands.com/articles/trinidadian-chocolate

excellent read...

my great grandfather's estate in maracus valley use to produce some of the best cocoa in TT... its a pity the family never continued the business.. >:(

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: More Than Chocolate - T&T's Cocoa the Best in the World
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
My brother and I started our business 3 years ago and we are doing well, we have a distribution here in Maryland.

1]; } ?>