March 28, 2024, 11:16:35 PM

Poll

Should teams ranking go up only if they beat a team higher in ranking?

Yes
7 (41.2%)
No
10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: FIFA Ranking Thread.  (Read 295369 times)

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA October Ranking
« Reply #960 on: October 24, 2007, 04:58:46 PM »
please stop posting these rankings they are use less

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 24, 2007, 05:05:26 PM »
But if anybody could tell me who vincy play to jump up 24 places it will be appreciated.

Vincy hasn't played anyone since May. However its completely normal under the system that they moved up.
Here's how it goes: Vincy has the habit of not playing games for long stretches.
Before their friendly in May, their last game was in the Digicel Cup. Before the friendlies and the digicel cup qualifiers last year from August to October, they hadn't played before January of 2005. They also didn't play any games in between April 2001 and February 2004.

What this means is that inevtably, they have trouble filling up their quota of 5 games per yearly ranking period somewhere along the line.

Therefore when the results came out in September, their year y- 1 stats (sept 2005- sept 2006) only contained the results of the 2 games played during that time (2 friendlies, with 1 draw). However, as per the ranking calculation rules, it was still treated as if they had played 5 games, hence almost minimal points gleaned during that period.

When the results came out in October however, certain of their year y stats (october 2005-october 2006) were pushed back to year y - 1 (and most notably their 2 digicel cup qualifier wins over Jamaica and St. Lucia). Having now 'played' 6 matches during that period, and having gained 2 supplementary competitive (2.5 multiplier) wins in the period, their points gained increased by about 120 on just that period alone. Their subsequent points lost in the other years didn't do enough to devaluate this increase.

Their being ahead of Jamaica, Trinidad and Guatemala has more to do with these 3 teams continuing to lose points than any real statistical progress by SVG though.

This is where the major problem of the FIFA rankings appears. On insisting that all teams be treated as if they play with the same regularity, some statistical anomalities such as SVG's rise will always appear. The only consolation is that they will very likely fall just as drastically for no apparent reason like they did as recently as the beginning of the year.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:53:34 AM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 24, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »

If utility was a criteria for posting anything on this board, 98% of our members would be deleted
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 24, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »

If utility was a criteria for posting anything on this board, 98% of our members would be deleted

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #964 on: October 24, 2007, 06:17:13 PM »
But if anybody could tell me who vincy play to jump up 24 places it will be appreciated.

When the results came out in October however, certain of their year y stats (october 2005-october 2006) were pushed back to year y - 1 (and most notably their 2 digicel cup qualifier wins over Jamaica and St. Lucia). Having now 'played' 6 matches during that period, and having gained 2 supplementary competitive (2.5 multiplier) wins in the period, their points gained increased by about 120 on just that period alone. Their subsequent points lost in the other years didn't do enough to devaluate this increase.

I knew it :idea: :idea: :idea:  It's Jamaica's fault ( :heehee:)
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #965 on: October 24, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
hmmm

if dese rankings are meaningless .. .then how do we compare teams? do we only rely on de standings in international tournaments?

until a superior system is created, dese rankings still paint de best picture , imperfect as dey may be ..

By head to head competetion...how much time mexico cut we arse...when last we beat usa or how much time we beat up antigua,grenada,st vincent... dias how. ;)
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 25, 2007, 08:50:43 AM »

I knew it :idea: :idea: :idea:  It's Jamaica's fault ( :heehee:)
;D. It's really Jamaica's fault. Because as Midnight said: SVG beat Jamaica 2 times in the Digicel qualifiers. :rotfl: :rotfl:
I'm just trying to remember the 2nd time.
jjbrown

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 25, 2007, 09:05:16 AM »
hmmm

if dese rankings are meaningless .. .then how do we compare teams? do we only rely on de standings in international tournaments?

until a superior system is created, dese rankings still paint de best picture , imperfect as dey may be ..

By head to head competetion...how much time mexico cut we arse...when last we beat usa or how much time we beat up antigua,grenada,st vincent... dias how. ;)

buh ay-ay .. dat almost sound like a FIFA ranking system ...  :D
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline jonny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA November ranking
« Reply #968 on: November 23, 2007, 03:41:21 AM »
New FIFA ranking for November :

15 Mexico -
19 USA down 1
54 Honduras up 1
55 Canada down 4
66 Panama down 66 Haiti up 2
69 Costa Rica down 3
70 Cuba down 6
77 St Vincent down 4
83 Trinidad & Tobago down 5
93 Guyana down 1
98 Jamaica up 5
104 Guatemala down 4
124 Barbados down 31
138 Bermuda down 4
141 El Salvador -
147 Dominican Rep up 1
150 Suriname down 6

Concacaf

World

« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 04:39:53 AM by Flex »

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA November ranking
« Reply #969 on: November 23, 2007, 11:30:56 AM »
CFU Rankings: November 2007

1) Haiti
2) Cuba
3) St. Vincent and the Grenadines
4) Trinidad and Tobago
5) Guyana
6) Jamaica
7) Barbados
8 ) Bermuda
9) Dominican Republic
10) Suriname

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 23, 2007, 12:40:53 PM »
We should hit 100 -110 coolo breezo by nex' month. Good going Jackula, Scamps and Rodent.  :applause:
Wit these rankings way below 70 and etine to geh wuss, local players Glenn, Peltier, Guerra, Baptiste, Wolfe, Toussaint, Hyland,  and others like Tinto, Daniel etc could say goodbye to any prospects for UK contracts lower leagues or otherwise unless de lawyer real good.

Keep it up.  :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 23, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
D rankest doh matter once dey get a glowin endorsment from Wim dey safe
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 23, 2007, 05:36:16 PM »
Although we love to bash these rankings, they do have significant implications in addition to getting work permits for the UK.

The draw for the WC qualifiers is 2 days away and rankings are used...

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/preldraw/2010%5ffwc%5fpreliminary%5fdrawinformation%5fnorth%5fcentral%5famerica%5fcaribbean%5fe%5f28448.pdf

We will enter the competition in the second stage.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 23, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
Although we love to bash these rankings, they do have significant implications in addition to getting work permits for the UK.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/preldraw/2010%5ffwc%5fpreliminary%5fdrawinformation%5fnorth%5fcentral%5famerica%5fcaribbean%5fe%5f28448.pdf

They used May's rankings...it was set quite a while ago

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #974 on: November 23, 2007, 08:27:23 PM »

They used May's rankings...it was set quite a while ago

yeah, but the current ranking can determine who is playing who in the next round since that's what the officials will have to go by.

The May ranking was simply used to determine the teams that needed a bye in the first round. I am not sure they have said that they will use the May ranking for the second round and the group plays. This current ranking is probably going to influence certain decisions in this regard.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:33:26 PM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: November 23, 2007, 08:46:25 PM »
I think both of you got it wrong. I will eat my words if i misunderstood, but the 'rankings' to which they refer in the document are the seedings - which have been elaborated from the MAY fifa rankings.

STAGE ONE
 The 23 PMAs ranked 13 to 35 constitute the 23 Stage One teams.
 The stage consists of 12 sub-groups played as 11 home-and-away series and one bye, St. Vincent and the
Grenadines.
 The winners and St. Vincent and the Grenadines advance to Stage Two and meet the highest ranked teams in their respective groups.

I believe this is what you were referring to, as it is the only mention to rankings that are not the May rankings. However, it seems to suggest that in each 3 team pseudo group you will have two teams in the bottom 12, plus one in the the top 12.Team 36 will play team team 14 for instance, and the team that has been drawn into their group (team 5 for instance) will play the winner.

No mention nor need for any new rankings. I am also 99% sure that the *pots* for the semifinal draws (if any explanation is indeed given) will continue to use this seeding system. The mere fact that it did not draw any serious opposition from the hex/semi final countries of last cycle has already validated it. and in any case, concacaf isn't deep enough for the pots to have much of an impact once mex usa and crc are separated (as they will be)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 23, 2007, 09:12:29 PM »
My pet peeve is people not researching the facts and then pulling information out of nowhere!!

It does really grind my gears, especially in dis information age!  >:(

Midknight you is a real "pedant" ... but I for one appreciate that....

The pots and seeds have been set since May! It ent changing unless Jack ketch a vaps (which could happen)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

d_#1Trinba

« Reply #977 on: November 24, 2007, 12:36:48 PM »
tnt we want the goooooooooals

Offline jonny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA Ranking December
« Reply #978 on: December 17, 2007, 03:27:20 AM »
New FIFA ranking for December out today :

15 Mexico -
19 USA -
53 Honduras up 1
55 Canada -
67 Panama down 1
69 Haiti down 3
70 Costa Rica down 1
71 Cuba down 1
81 Trinidad & Tobago up 2
97 Jamaica up 1
101 St Vincent & the Grenadines down 24
106 Guatemala down 2
128 Barbados down 4
128 Guyana down 35
134 El Salvador up 7
147 Bermuda down 9

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=23914&rank=164

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:30:18 AM by jonny »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA Ranking December
« Reply #979 on: December 17, 2007, 04:41:35 AM »
So let me get this straight...El Salvador lost to Jamaica and jumped 7 places up...while Jamaica lost 1 place down.  :rotfl:

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 17, 2007, 07:56:34 AM »
So let me get this straight...El Salvador lost to Jamaica and jumped 7 places up...while Jamaica lost 1 place down.  :rotfl:

Kaka hole, maybe El Salvador played other games and won too, you won two game vs El Salvador and Guatemala when you won those games was JAM under them in the FIFA ranking ? because sometime if you play a weaker team in the FIFA ranking you dont normaly move up.

This FIFA ranking thing is bogus anyways....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 17, 2007, 07:58:49 AM »

CONCACAF's Group of Death has 3 of the top 4, highest ranked teams.  And there is no way Jamaica is as bad as their rankings.  Will be very tough.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 17, 2007, 08:10:59 AM »
At least dey have us above St Vincent now :rotfl:

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 17, 2007, 08:34:43 AM »

Kaka hole, maybe El Salvador played other games and won too, you won two game vs El Salvador and Guatemala when you won those games was JAM under them in the FIFA ranking ? because sometime if you play a weaker team in the FIFA ranking you dont normaly move up.

I believe Jamaica was the last game el Salvador played. But anyway...the rankings are what they are.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #984 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:41 AM »

I believe Jamaica was the last game el Salvador played. But anyway...the rankings are what they are.

WOW is that an agreement :o make this one for the books
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 17, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »
Correction. Jamaica moved up 1 place from 98 to 97.
jjbrown

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 17, 2007, 07:27:07 PM »
now that is progress.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 17, 2007, 08:12:17 PM »
now that is progress.
Slowly, but surely. Horace Burrell and Rene Simones will restore the Reggae Boyz back to their rightful place in CONCACAF.
jjbrown

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 17, 2007, 10:38:29 PM »
now that is progress.
Slowly, but surely. Horace Burrell and Rene Simones will restore the Reggae Boyz back to their rightful place in CONCACAF.

where is that, anywhere behind tnt ??
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline jonny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA Ranking February
« Reply #989 on: February 13, 2008, 03:37:05 AM »
16 Mexico -1
26 USA - 6
50 Honduras +4
58 Canada - 2
63 Panama +1
71 Costa Rica -2