April 29, 2024, 02:32:44 AM

Author Topic: Calypso trio keeping Sunderland on song to strike  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Makm

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Calypso trio keeping Sunderland on song to strike
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:32:03 AM »
Calypso trio keeping Sunderland on song to strike

West Brom 1
Sunderland 2

Stewart Jackson

THE Trinidad and Tobago flags being waved among Sunderland's celebrating supporters are a sign of bigger things to come.

With three of their countrymen starring for Roy Keane's unstoppable Sunderland side - Dwight Yorke, Stern John and Carlos Edwards - the Soca Warriors Supporters Club have written to the club requesting 200 seats for the forthcoming home game against Wolves.  :o

What's more, they want to bring a steel band over to Wearside for an even more authentic taste of home for the Caribbean trio.

Wolves should beware - if a couple of flags can inspire a goal each from Yorke and John, who knows what the addition of live music will do.

Keane believes Yorke has added the experience and quality Sunderland required to mount their promotion push.

"I thought Dwight would add a bit of quality, a bit of experience, a calm head, be good for the dressing room, and he's done all these things," said Keane.

"He has played at the top level. People question the age of him but he's had no major injuries. He's never been the quickest but he's quick with his brain."

John, who signed from Coventry in the January transfer window, said: "Dwight and Carlos had settled in pretty well when they came here and so did I. But then when you look in the stand and see the Trinidad and Tobago flag, it gives you goose bumps. It makes us want to repay the fans."

The former Birmingham striker revealed that Keane had sought the advice of Yorke, his former Manchester United comrade, on whether he would make a suitable addition to the revolution at the Stadium of Light that has seen Sunderland go 10 League games unbeaten in 2007.

"The gaffer asked Dwight about me and he told him how I play," he said. "Dwight and I have played with each other for so many years and we complement each other."

Keane added: "Stern gives us something a bit different. He's got a physical presence and his hold-up play is excellent. His contract was up and I thought he was good value for us."

Edwards had a rather less enjoyable afternoon than his compatriots, departing with a suspected dislocated shoulder after he had been clattered on the edge of the box by Richard Chaplow.

By then the visitors were already one up, Danny Simpson driving in from the right touchline to feed John on the edge of the box before the striker's weighted lay-off was slotted home by veteran Yorke. John headed home Sunderland's second when he found himself totally unmarked at a corner, and only then did Albion begin to show signs of being a side third in the table.

That did not stop their manager, Tony Mowbray, from launching into a bizarre post-match rant that his side had deserved to win.

"I would be hopeful that we will finish with more points than Sunderland if that's the standard of the sides," he insisted.

Darren Carter's 20-yard goal with 15 minutes remaining should have set up a tense finale, but the best chances fell to Sunderland on the counter-attack, most notably when Dean Kiely saved David Connolly's header at point-blank range.

Albion suffered insult to injury when Paul Robinson was sent off late on, harshly judged to have clipped Liam Miller's heels when clean through.

"And now you're gonna believe us, we're gonna win the league," sang Sunderland's fans. The only thing missing was the accompaniment of a steel band.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Calypso trio keeping Sunderland on song to strike
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:41:11 AM »
Maybe your Fans could try and incorporate parts or all of this song into the proceedings of that day  ;) ;)

Makem and all Sunlun fans! Take note of this song and make it the Sunlun anthem. If you do as I recommend and have 40,000 at the Stadium of light singing then I guarantee you promotion to the premiership and goals galore. It is brilliantly designed to suit your side as the syllables for soca (Sooooooooooooca) can be replaced by Sunlun (Suuuuuuuuuuuuunlun). It also refers to the colours of both teams. Please also contact Mr Maximus Dan (speak to the moderators) and get him to perform at the Stadium to sell out audiences. Use the "oh oooh oh oh oh" to great effect all during the game! The third "oh" is the one that is really sung in prolonged fashion for 2-3 seconds

Football: Fighter - Soca Warriors Anthem World Cup 2006
http://www.ttgapers.com/Article1502.html
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:50 PM 

Here it is in all it's glory! The tune that has been ringing out in Trinidad and Tobago for this historic World Cup campaign! I am a SOCA WARRIOR! Check the lyrics and also FREE download of the tune written and recorded by Maximus Dan.

Fighter - by Maximus Dan

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls
Good afternoon
And we are gathered here for the game of your life (lovely! lovely!)
I want to see yuh put yuh flags up in de air right now
Sing!

(Chant)
Oh oooh oh oh oh!  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:
Oh oooh oh oh oh!  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:
Oh oooh oh oh oh oh oh oh oooh oh oh oh!

Chorus:
I am ah soca (say suuuuuuuuunlun) warrior
I say win or lose I am ah fighter
I'm ah soca (suuuuuuuuuunlun) warrior
I come to shine meh nationality brighter
I am ah soca warrior
I'm ah soca warrior

We will attack
We will defend
We going to pressure dem to de very end
And any opposition dat we meet, hear me now
We go defeat dem by we feet
We go shine with all we might
90 minutes of red, black and white   ;D, hear me now
Anytime you see we in we uniform
To get de victory is ah norm

Well, I'm ah soca (suuuuuuunlun) warrior
I'm ah soca warrior
I am ah soca warrior
I'm ah soca warrior

Show them ... up on de field
Let dem know de position done seal
Every tackle, every pass, hear me now
We have dem eating off the grass
We never say it would be easy
To the battle almighty Father lead we, hear me now
Anytime yuh see we in we uniform

I am ah soca warrior
I'm ah soca warrior
I'm ah soca warrior
I'm ah soca warrior
Ah come to shine meh nationality brighter

(Chant)
Oh oooh oh oh oh
Oh oooh oh oh oh
Oh oooh oh oh oh oh oh, oh oooh oh oh oh

Oh oooh oh oh oh (Warrior! Warrior!)
Oh oooh oh oh oh

Still in abundance
Fit like a fiddle
So long we wait to hear de whistle
From down de way or thru de middle, hear me now
Every net ah get a riddle
We committed to de mission
Ready for any, kind ah situation
Hear me now
Anytime yuh see we in we uniform

(Chant)
Oh oooh oh oh oh
Oh oooh oh oh oh

Oh oooh oh oh oh (Warrior, warrior 2x)
Oh oooh oh oh oh oh oh (Warrior, warrior 3x)

We will attack, we will defend
We going to pressure dem to de very end
And any opposition dat we meet, hear me now,
We go defeat dem by de feet
We go strive ... (we go strive, with all we might)

For the audio: Fighter - by Maximus Dan

Actual song audio here    http://www.toronto-lime.com/music/2006/fighter.htm
Courtesy file searching by WestCoastTrini
Must listen with good bass speakers  ;D

Mackem, Makm, Quinderland, Cartman, De mon, T&T Three, Gaz Wilko, G Force, safc4life, turnip and the rest of the Sunlun posse!!!!! ............ Get the song rolling for saturday!!!!!!!!!!........I am a Suuuuuuunlun Warrior...I say win or lose I am a fighter...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:47:49 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:38:14 AM »
Nice read. things lookin good, ah hope they let us bring d steelpan
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:41:04 AM »
Well I need tuh know how I can get my tickets I eh coming until ah sure ah could get it. From germany.

Talk tuh meh RTG.

Ah want tuh buy meh tickets next week.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:34:35 AM »
To ensure no mix ups occur, I am going to arrange for people to "book" their tickets from now, and you just pay for them at the gate. Just identify yourself as a Trini supporter (like they wouldn't be able to tell  ::)) and there should be a separate batch for us, to ensure we get seats in the same area.

As for train tickets, everybody BOOK YOUR OWN! If you want me to buy them for you outright, send money and I will do. But I strongly advise that you book your own by either going to the National Rail website or calling them. That is after you decide if you wanna stay and party after the game and return to London early Sunday morning, or if you wanna get back to London by midnight.
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 07:35:13 AM »
Well I in Germany do I get any special treatment ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:39:45 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....lovely, lovely!  ;D

Represent good fellas! Ah real happy for allyuh  :beermug:

Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »
Well I in Germany do I get any special treatment ;D

PM me, we'll talk

gives Love.

[

Offline lp

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 09:31:36 PM »
To ensure no mix ups occur, I am going to arrange for people to "book" their tickets from now, and you just pay for them at the gate. Just identify yourself as a Trini supporter (like they wouldn't be able to tell  ::)) and there should be a separate batch for us, to ensure we get seats in the same area.

As for train tickets, everybody BOOK YOUR OWN! If you want me to buy them for you outright, send money and I will do. But I strongly advise that you book your own by either going to the National Rail website or calling them. That is after you decide if you wanna stay and party after the game and return to London early Sunday morning, or if you wanna get back to London by midnight.

RTG.
What about the deal with the London branch of Sunderland supporters that was mentioned on the other thread. If I remember correctly. it was £36 return travel. Has that fallen through or was it a mis quote?

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=25497.msg282123#msg282123
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:42:21 PM by lp »

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 06:55:07 AM »
They have clarified to say that they only have 40 spaces, and as it's usually about 30 of them that means they may be able to take 10 people. So dat is first-come-first-served going on there.

gives Love.

[

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »
They have clarified to say that they only have 40 spaces, and as it's usually about 30 of them that means they may be able to take 10 people. So dat is first-come-first-served going on there.

RTG, make sure the "they" that yuh talking to is not some small fry eh. A senior executive somewhere must be able to  be more considerate and  make special arrangement for a group like yours some of whom can be said to be coming from abroad. Remember, dis is a home game in a huge stadium holding 49,000 and which is not getting more than 35,000 attendees yet this season.

Therefore, if you want to bring a 200-posse section, dat really should not be a problem, especialy if it is not in the area where the most valuable seats are. C'mon ! Allyuh cyah be scattering all over de place. Somebody get hold of General Yorke  (Tallman, Flex, palos?) and ask him to speak to Keane and Quinn. If Lord so and so say he bringing his friends and family, they eh go put them on to some 2 by 4 low-on-de-totem-pole ticket booth lady to accomodate them and offer the standard response.

You fellas are dignitaries and you have to see yourself that way, not li'l unwelcome refugees  >:( (at least not supposed to be)  :-\
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:04:19 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »
i think u should give people a cut of time to confrim. u know trini notorious, they like to tlk talk talk and den no one eh turn up. especially note the ones in northamerica..lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline lp

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I however agree with dreamer that we should make sure we are talking to someone at the top. From the posts above, I realise that the problem is not with match tickets though, but with transit from Lon-Sndl. It's a big difference having to pay £36 as opposed to £80, especially with multiple heads. Anyhow we will see how it goes, thanks for the effort that you are putting in.

1]; } ?>