March 28, 2024, 10:06:54 AM

Author Topic: Thought Y2K was bad? Well DST is worse!!! (for all the Techies)  (Read 2027 times)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Well this week we in IT department is keeping very busy trying to fix our Outlook calendar with recurring meetings. The problem is, DST is starting 2 wks earlier this year...March 11 instead of April 1st, and people who are not patched meetings are showing up an our ealier after the 11...and to make matters worse..those who are patched, but accept a meeting from someone who is not meetings will then show up as an hour later  ;D yeah I am confused too. So we are busy trying to fix outlook, Blackberries and all other time dependant machines we have in office. What a nightmare!

here's a little story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17135007/

Daylight-saving glitch threatens mini-Y2K
Software bug could skew everything from Outlook to airline schedules

Daylight saving time arrives a little earlier — March 11 — and stays a little later — Nov. 4 — this year. And it’s bringing a problem along with it that could affect everything from stock trades to airline schedules to your BlackBerry.

Software created before the law mandating the change passed in 2005 is set to automatically advance its timekeeping by one hour on the first Sunday in April, not the second Sunday in March. Congress decided that more early evening daylight would translate into energy savings.

The result is a glitch reminiscent of the Y2K bug, when cataclysmic crashes were feared if computers interpreted the year 2000 as 1900 and couldn’t reconcile time appearing to move backward. If banks and other institutions aren't properly prepared, automatic stock trades reportedly might happen at the wrong hour, buildings that unlock at a certain time could stay shut, and airline flight schedules could be scrambled.

CLICK ON LINK FOR FULL STORY!!!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Thought Y2K was bad? Well DST is worse!!! (for all the Techies)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:19:39 PM »
Doesn't Microsoft have the patch for home and Business??  I thought that I say the patch there?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »
Doesn't Microsoft have the patch for home and Business??  I thought that I say the patch there?

is it an automatic update or do we have to do it manually?

as the IT geek for my home network, I'll manually have to update each computer ..

steups ...more sneakernet work
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:05:29 PM »

as the IT geek for my home network, I'll manually have to update each computer ..

It is a patch in the automatic updates. Update for Windows XP (KB931836) released on Feb 13. Luckily all my stuff I'm responsible for runs in GMT so that's not affected by the new DST.

Update for Windows XP (KB931836)
Date last published: 2/13/2007
Typical download size: 102 KB 
Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2007 due to revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com
More information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931836

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »

It is a patch in the automatic updates. Update for Windows XP (KB931836) released on Feb 13. Luckily all my stuff I'm responsible for runs in GMT so that's not affected by the new DST.

Update for Windows XP (KB931836)
Date last published: 2/13/2007
Typical download size: 102 KB 
Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2007 due to revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com
More information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931836

thanks e-man

It is was automatically installed on at least one computer .. jus have to check de rest to make sure they are there too.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
Yeah MS have the patch, and for home users and small businesses, this is not much of an issue. But big organisations who uses outlook alot and have recurring meetings, there is a big impact..we are going through that right now at my work. Also there is an order in which we have to do the patches, and not everyone was patched at the same time..so this had a few people with the wrong times in their calendars.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »
Yeah MS have the patch, and for home users and small businesses, this is not much of an issue. But big organisations who uses outlook alot and have recurring meetings, there is a big impact..we are going through that right now at my work. Also there is an order in which we have to do the patches, and not everyone was patched at the same time..so this had a few people with the wrong times in their calendars.

Big Up!

dat might not be a bad ting .. .when I was in de corporate world, there were many times when I wish some ppl never came to a meeting .. ;D

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 08:51:13 PM »
I installed the patch today for my office laptop. 3 weeks ago they told us that we had to manually change our meetings between March 11 and April 1st, and some other time btwn October-November I believe.  People were hysterical since they had to manually change several meetings.

I thought it was because Lotus Notes was shitty, but Microsoft having the same problem  ;D

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:00:59 AM »
Here we not even bothering with it that much.  Network eng and I jus pushin the patches through patchlink and everything working out so far. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:41:03 PM »
Here we not even bothering with it that much.  Network eng and I jus pushin the patches through patchlink and everything working out so far. ;D

We just started to force all the patches to machines...everything is good for single one time meetings..but the recurring meetings are the problem...especially if it was sent out by someone who was not patched. But so far so good...

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

1]; } ?>