April 29, 2024, 03:06:25 AM

Author Topic: Findley nets his first goal for LA Galaxy  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Findley nets his first goal for LA Galaxy
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:49:26 AM »
Galaxy fight back, come up short
Greg Daurio (MLSnet.com)

Carlos Ruiz and Kenny Cooper scored first-half goals to pace visiting FC Dallas to a 2-1 win against the Los Angeles Galaxy on Thursday night. Rookie Robbie Findley scored a late consolation for Los Angeles, but it was too little too late as FC Dallas left The Home Depot Center with its first-ever win against the Galaxy at the Carson stadium.

Los Angeles created a number of chances in the early portions of each half, but just as in Sunday's game in Houston, they failed to find their finishing touch.

It didn't take long for Kenny Cooper to get the offense revved up for Dallas. In the second minute Dallas launched a counter attack and Ruiz picked out Cooper on the left flank. Cooper dribbled in and unleashed a knuckling shot from just outside the area. The shot fooled Galaxy 'keeper Joe Cannon at first and even had him leaning the wrong way, but he managed to reach back and punch the ball clear.

Not to be outdone, the Galaxy started to press forward. In the 12th minute Cobi Jones played a ball in from the left flank and Nate Jaqua managed to get on the end of the cross with a diving header, but his effort bounced inside the goal area and over the crossbar.

Two minutes later Jones played the role of provider again. This time his cross handcuffed Dallas defender Chris Gbandi, who lost his footing on the play and slipped. Chris Albright was there to pounce on the loose ball for the Galaxy and managed to get off a close range shot, but fired the ball into the legs of an onrushing Shaka Hislop.

The Galaxy continued to dominate the early exchanges and in the 23rd minute another chance fell their way. A scramble followed a Galaxy corner kick when Dallas failed to clear their end. The ball eventually made its way to Kyle Martino at the edge of the penalty area, and he fired a dipping volley that sailed just wide of the far post.

Landon Donovan was the next Galaxy player to come close. After fighting through a slew of defenders, Donovan appeared to have broken free in the box. Just as he was about to shoot, a lunging tackle by Drew Moor snuffed out his attack.

Just two minutes later the tide turned and Dallas opened the scoring from the penalty spot. Dallas was awarded the spot kick when Galaxy rookie Ty Harden was harshly ruled to have handled to ball inside the area after Juan Toja's shot hit his arm as it headed toward goal. Ruiz stepped up to the spot and buried his shot just out of the reach of Cannon's dive to put his former team down a goal.

For Ruiz, it was his first goal against his former team at The Home Depot Center and third overall he bagged against the Galaxy. His previous two goals against the Galaxy were at Pizza Hut Park.

Moments later Ruiz tried to double his tally from a free kick 30 yards from goal. Ruiz managed to navigate his shot through the traffic in the Galaxy penalty area and on frame, but Cannon made the save look clinical.

In the 43rd minute Dallas doubled their lead. Dallas earned another free kick from almost the exact same spot, and this time Ramon Nunez played a cross into the area. Cooper lost his defender and blasted a first-time volley into the roof of the net to give Dallas a 2-0 lead.

The Galaxy came out of the locker room for the second half looking to erase the deficit early, putting the pressure on the Dallas back line. The Galaxy managed a few early corners but never really threatened Hislop's net.

It wasn't until the 62nd minute that Los Angeles really came close when Donovan managed to find some space in the box. The U.S. international aimed a left-footed shot toward the back post but lacked the accuracy required as his shot skidded out for a goal kick.

As the game wore on into the final quarter-hour the Galaxy attack began to sputter and stall a bit. Dallas clearly went into shut down mode and frustrated Los Angeles at every turn.

Still looking for a third goal, Dallas looked for the occasional counter attack and in the 79th minute, Nunez fired off an ambitious effort from distance. The shot nearly made it all the way through, but missed wide of the target.

To the Galaxy's credit they didn't give up and in the 84th minute Albright crossed the ball from the right flank to a streaking Donovan. Donovan played the ball back through to the middle to second half substitute Robbie Findley, but he fired wide.

The Galaxy finally got on the board in the 86th minute from a Donovan corner. Donovan whipped an in-swinger into the area and Findley atoned for his earlier miss, snapping a header into the bottom corner of the net.

Los Angeles put on a late charge to find an equalizer but it just wasn't meant to be, leaving the club with plenty to work in before their next league game, the SuperClasico against Chivas USA on April 28. Their next game in any competition is in 12 days time, when they take on Columbus in a U.S. Open Cup qualifying match.

FC Dallas (1-0-1) vs. Los Angeles Galaxy (0-1-1)
April 12, 2007 -- The Home Depot Center

Scoring Summary:
DAL -- Carlos Ruiz 2 (penalty kick) 35
DAL -- Kenny Cooper 2 (Ramon Nunez 1) 43
LA -- Robbie Findley 1 (Landon Donovan 1) 86

FC Dallas -- Shaka Hislop, Alex Yi, Clarence Goodson, Drew Moor, Chris Gbandi, Ramon Nunez (Bobby Rhine 82), Dax McCarty, Marcelo Saragosa (Aaron Pitchkolan 29), Juan Toja, Kenny Cooper (Dominic Oduro 73), Carlos Ruiz,

Substitutes Not Used: Arturo Alvarez, Ray Burse, Abe Thompson, David Wagenfuhr

Los Angeles Galaxy -- Joe Cannon, Ian Russell (Kevin Harmse 46), Ty Harden, Tyrone Marshall, Ante Jazic, Chris Albright, Kyle Martino, Nathan Sturgis (Mike Randolph 81), Cobi Jones (Robbie Findley 58), Landon Donovan, Nate Jaqua,

Substitutes Not Used: Steve Cronin, Shavar Thomas, Josh Tudela, Kyle Veris
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Findley nets his first goal for LA Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 06:37:09 AM »
lol.... good to see Findley scoring.... but on Shaka boi....hehehehehe.... Findley yuh better score on all dem odder keepers too eh ;D ;D

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:48:14 AM »
to tell the truth, if there was one person that i wanted to score against FC Dallas and Shaka, it was this man... however at the point in which he scored (late in the game), i didnt want to see anyone deny shaka of his first MLS shutout. cheers to him anyways, and cheers to shaka for an excellent performance  :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:55:52 AM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:03:53 AM by DWarriorMan »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:13:55 AM »
that was a nice header boi ;D
All American

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Findley is off to a rousing start
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:00:34 AM »
Findley is off to a rousing start
Grahame L. Jones (Los Angeles Times)

The rookie, who has two noted athletes as cousins, finds himself among MLS' elite and meets a former president while impressing his coach.

April 12, 2007

As far as professional debuts go, Robbie Findley's will take some beating — at least in Major League Soccer.

For one thing, even before the Galaxy rookie had stepped on the field in Texas on Sunday, he shook hands with former President George Bush, who was at Robertson Stadium in Houston for the MLS season opener.

For a 21-year-old, that was memorable.

Next, Findley found himself on the bench waiting for his chance to come on against the defending league champion Dynamo.

And when, with half an hour left in the scoreless match, Coach Frank Yallop finally sent Findley in, he replaced a U.S. soccer icon: longtime Galaxy and national team star Cobi Jones.

Not bad for a youngster who was earning accolades at Oregon State not all that long ago.

Of course, Findley should be used to rubbing shoulders with the athletically gifted. He is a cousin of Sacramento Kings point guard Mike Bibby and also of Detroit Lions wide receiver Shaun McDonald.

Still, Sunday was special for Findley, who could be a spark off the bench again tonight when the Galaxy plays its home opener against FC Dallas at the Home Depot Center. "I just tried not to let the nerves get to me too much," he said Wednesday, adding that he has always had the enthusiastic backing of both cousins.

"Shaun used to play soccer before he played football," Findley said. "They're going to support me and make sure they're there for me and make sure I'm working hard and doing everything I can do to get better.

"I have no doubt that I can compete at this level."

Nor does Yallop.

"We've got a bit of a player on our hands," he said, suggesting that the Galaxy has stumbled upon a potential future star. "There are things that he naturally does well — speed, turning ability, bravery, he's very good in the air with his jumping power. Once he settles in here, he'll be a very good player for us."

Findley is unlikely to start against Dallas because Yallop wants to stick with the lineup that earned a 0-0 tie with Houston. But he does not rule out the young forward in time becoming a starter.

"But at this point he was brought on to freshen everything up, and he really did that" against Houston, Yallop said. "I liked his demeanor. He wasn't nervous. He knew he belonged there."

Galaxy standout Landon Donovan was equally impressed.

"Everybody saw on Sunday what he can do," Donovan said. "Late in a game, he's probably the last guy you want to see coming off the bench if you're a defender."

Paul Bravo, the Galaxy's assistant coach, has been tracking Findley for several years.

"Over the past two years, he's been one of the best players in the Pac-10," Bravo said. "He's worked very hard since he's come in. People have been impressed with his debut, but I think as far as the coaching staff goes, we think that he has a lot more to offer us down the road."

Robbie Findley, right, of the Galaxy is a cousin of Sacramento Kings point guard Mike Bibby and also of Detroit Lions wide receiver Shaun McDonald.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
nice placement  :beermug:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »
ha i bet allyuh the usa will call findley up for their under 23 team i bet allyuh... remember he did not make the cut in LP christmas camp ...

http://ww2.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2007/open/gp/04/041207_mls_fcdlag_gp_350.wmv&w_id=7154&catCode=mls_game_tv&type=v_free&_mp=1

check the clip

I personally don't care if he plays for the U.S, I did not see much attacking qualities from him yesterday, he needs to improve to get my vote to represent T&T
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:38:22 AM by trini airman »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:09:23 PM »
ha i bet allyuh the usa will call findley up for their under 23 team i bet allyuh... remember he did not make the cut in LP christmas camp ...

http://ww2.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2007/open/gp/04/041207_mls_fcdlag_gp_350.wmv&w_id=7154&catCode=mls_game_tv&type=v_free&_mp=1

check the clip

I personally don't care if he plays for the U.S, I did not see much attacking qualities from him yesterday, he needs to improve to get my vote to represent T&T

I am talking about our under 23 team not the senior . btw airman this is his rookie season and second match of the bench let hope telsford get a break in fire next game....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
I will keep track of his progress through out the season, if he does well well he will get my full support for T&T national team.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
I will keep track of his progress through out the season, if he does well well he will get my full support for T&T national team.
I say cap him so nobody else go get him ;D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 07:35:40 AM »
la.galaxy.mlsnet.com

With the goal, Findley became the first 2007 MLS SuperDraft selection to score in a regular season MLS game this season and the first Galaxy rookie to score in a regular season game since Michael Enfield scored in a 1-1 draw with New England on July 4, 2005.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »

check the clip

dread...that is a serious piece of judgement to make after a few minutes on the field...in only his 2nd pro-game in his rookie season...and he scored. yeah doh support him. I guess you will support all those other T&T under 23 players who lighting it up all over the world in the best leagues  ???

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 09:43:18 AM »

check the clip

He score goals right?  So what exactly do you mean by his attacking qualities needs to be improved?

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 11:10:50 PM »
I didnt know he was Trini, but should known since he is mike bibby's and shaun mcdonald of the nfl cousin

1]; } ?>