April 23, 2024, 06:07:59 AM

Author Topic: Arsenal Punished  (Read 2791 times)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
Arsenal Punished
« on: March 07, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=211973&cc=5901

Arsenal v PSV Eindhoven: Alex sends Gunners out

Arsenal's hopes of silverware were ended for another season as PSV Eindhoven secured a draw at Emirates Stadium to progress into the last eight of the Champions League.

Manager Arsene Wenger had warned his side needed to tighten up at set-pieces, but that again proved to be their Achilles heel this evening as defender Alex - who had earlier scored an own goal to level the tie - powered in a bullet header with just seven minutes to go to seal the Gunners' fate.

Even the introduction of talisman and captain Thierry Henry for the final 25 minutes was not enough to see last season's beaten finalists through.

While third place in the Barclays Premiership remains very much a realistic goal for Wenger's men, tonight's result will leave the club without a trophy for the second season running.

Following a cagey opening, the first chance of the match came on eight minutes.

Kolo Toure - currently serving a domestic ban - broke down the right, and brushed past fellow Ivory Coast international Arouna Kone before cutting back into the box.

However, with team-mates queuing up, the defender could only slice his shot horribly wide of the near post.

There was an early warning for the Gunners when Peru striker Jefferson Farfan held off the attentions of stand-in centre-back Gilberto on the right of the Arsenal box before drilling a low strike into the side netting.

At the other end, Cesc Fabregas' chip into the area almost picked out Emmanuel Adebayor - but the beanpole Togo striker, also currently suspended for domestic games, was just beaten to the loose ball by keeper Gomes.

Toure, playing a right-back, was getting forwards at every opportunity.

On 22 minutes, his fierce angled drive was beaten away by the PSV keeper.

Arsenal were pressing now, and a neat interchange of passes saw Adebayor dash to the goal-line.

Fabregas' shot from the cut-back was blocked - and Julio Baptista volleyed just over.

Despite all of Arsenal's dominance, the home side were unable to find a telling pass.

As the half-hour mark passed, PSV captain Phillip Cocu sent a free header wide when picked out in the centre by Edison Mendez.

With five minutes left of the first half, the visitors felt they had a claim for a penalty.

Gilberto struggled to clear a backpass and only managed to fall over before Farfan then followed him on to the turf in a tangle of legs.

Luxembourg referee Alain Hamer, though, was having none of it and waved play on.

Wenger knew he had just 45 minutes to keep alive the dream of a second successive Champions League final appearance.

His half-time team-talk looked to have had the desired affect as it was a bright start by the hosts.

Baptista and Sun Xiang tussled on the edge of the penalty area, and the Brazilian took a tumble - but again the referee was unmoved.

Arsenal pulled themselves back into the tie on 58 minutes following a period of sustained pressure.

A corner from the left was flicked on at the near post by Adebayor into the six-yard box where Alex, facing his own goal, diverted the ball into the net.

The Gunners almost snatched the overall lead in the tie when Fabregas' long ball up field was completely missed by Carlos Salcido and Adebayor raced clear - but Gomes was out quickly to make a smart save.

Fabregas then fired over from 12 yards, before at the other end Mendez shot wide following good work down the PSV right.

With 25 minutes left, Wenger turned to Henry, who replaced Baptista.

It needed a flying save from Gomes to keep out a curled free-kick from the Arsenal captain as the home side continued to press for a winner in normal time.

Disaster struck, however, with seven minutes to go.

A needless free-kick conceded out on the left touchline by Alexander Hleb was whipped into the area by Mendez.

Alex got up above everyone to bullet a header into the far corner to send PSV into the quarter-finals and Arsenal crashing out. 
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal Punished
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 05:22:04 PM »
fickle Arsenal can never win d big games  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:31:03 PM »
I too gald.  Nothing this year!
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
this is the only thing that could make meh smile after Barca lose yesterday

it good

Touches is only one thing I have to say
MUUUUUUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Més que un club.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »
touches normally i would ask questions about the famed world class youth system of arsenal that has not given the expected results but I am sure Wenger will make some rediculous excuse by morning which would make anything I say obsolete. the world´s worst loser and worse excuse maker award is hands down the property of Arsene ..... Ah well there is always Fabregas the young sensation...oh but he was a product of the barca youth plan wasn´t he ?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:26:28 AM »
Jah John what will you say is results. Do you simply mean winning? If its a simple matter of winning a game then maybe you are right. But there was plenty of evidence to show the youth system is way ahead of most. After all the same youths destroyed Liverpool, Totenham etc in the Carling Cup (where the majority of youngsters played) and got to the final. So if by not winning the Carling Cup they are failures, then the entire youth system in the Premiership outside of Chelsea (who have no youth of their own) are failures. Ajax has not won in years either so their entire youth system is a failure as well. etc etc.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 08:49:09 AM »
I just want to know, with all the biggin' up for arsenal's so-called youths, really came up through their youth system?  Most of their players were bought, just like Chelsea's.  Fabergas, flamini, abou diaby, clichy, aliadiare, are all foreigners.  Theo Walcott is the only "youth" on arsenal's squad that is home-grown.  Oh, sorry, they bought him, too.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
Coach is an arse plain and simple the epl obviously out of reach and champions league could never be a certainity, cause too much strong teams were still in it, i was certain he would of pushed for the fa cup and the worthington cup  by fielding his strongest sides but no. ???

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »
men on here only flappin they beak.  this side arsenal has now is a young side, and slightly inconsistent.  if they are allowed to gel and grow it going to be pressure for real teams out here. 

also, men dont realise that plenty players who are NOT playing for arsenal now are products of the youth system (upson, pennaant, a. cole to name a few).

i am not worried, i am giving this team 2-3 years to see real results.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »
men on here only flappin they beak.  this side arsenal has now is a young side, and slightly inconsistent.  if they are allowed to gel and grow it going to be pressure for real teams out here. 

also, men dont realise that plenty players who are NOT playing for arsenal now are products of the youth system (upson, pennaant, a. cole to name a few).

i am not worried, i am giving this team 2-3 years to see real results.

Yes, and those players aren't at Arsenal anymore eh? That's the whole thing about Le Arse... people going on and on about their youth "system" yet where are those players in the Arsenal first team (except Cashley Cole who really did have a good Arse career). This youth system is a myth... who are the Academy/reserve players who are transitioning to the first team (I ask because I genuinely don't know and would like to find out)?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »
tough luck guys.... lets pick it up and go at it again

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 09:28:06 PM »
hard luck arsenal at least all have millions still in all organisation unlike some ferderations we know
football in meh veins football in meh blood

1]; } ?>