April 25, 2024, 05:28:58 PM

Author Topic: Latapy the Showman must go on  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy the Showman must go on
« on: March 12, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
THE SHOWMAN MUST GO ON
By Neil Cameron
The Daily Record

FALKIRK boss John Hughes fantasised about what Russell Latapy could bring to his team when he signed him four years ago - but never dreamed his good mate would still be playing now.

But that's nothing compared to the Trinidadian's view on his career. Latapy would have needed a lie down and a cigarette if anyone had suggested he would sign on for another year at the age of 38.

Yet the two men were at the Falkirk Stadium yesterday talking about the former Hibs and Rangers man staying on for another 12 months in the SPL.

It makes perfect sense to the duo and, for the rest of us, it's a nice to know one of the true entertainers in Scottish football will be around for a little longer.

Big Yogi loves a joke, but he is deadly serious when he talks about what Latapy has brought to Falkirk over the past four seasons and what he can continue to do for one more year, at least.

Hughes said: "It was four years and a stone-and-half ago that I signed Russell. His brain and feet are so quick that I knew he would be a great player.

"He has one or two different rules to the rest of them but you have to get the best out of him.

"I think Russell has another year in him. He always has a massive part to play at this club and I don't just mean on the playing side.

"I don't think he realises what it does for the young kids when they play against him in training. I think he has a year left but maybe we will use him more sparingly because we have slogged him this season.

"If he keeps playing with a smile and enjoying himself then he can play on. He also likes to see the development of the kids we have here.

"I spoke to Russell two weeks ago with a thank you and an apology. The first was for all he's done for this football club and the second for all we've asked of him this season.

"Football comes naturally to him and he does play with players who are inferior to him but to still have the desire to go and do it is fantastic.

"Four years ago Russell was going to retire but he has shown great commitment to Falkirk. He's moved his family through here because he sees what's happening at the club."

Latapy revealed that the idea of playing football at the age of 39 had never crossed his mind.

He said: "I would love to stay for another season. But when I signed four years ago, when I was 33, I wouldn't have thought there was a chance I would be playing now. I would have thought I would play until a maximum of 36.

"One of the reasons I can go on is that I've been fortunate in the game and haven't had a lot of injuries. I also have technical ability and have never been one to chase around the park, so if I continue to do that then I can keep playing.

"I'm having fun. The team gets the ball down and likes to pass it. The reality is that's the only way I could play. I couldn't be in a team which plays down the channels because I don't have the legs to begin with and, in my head, I have never seen football that way."

Another reason the Bairns are extra time winners is that Latapy loves this country.

He said: "Scotland has been great to me. My family loves it here, I have made friends and have a lot of feeling about this place.

"I have been here eight or nine years now and I really love Scotland. Even when I'm away, I think of Scotland as home."

Latapy does owe Hughes for taking what doesn't look like a risk now but four years ago was something of a gamble.

And he is one who isn't surprised by the manager's football philosophy.

Latapy said: "The gaffer was a strong player and winning tackles and headers is part of the game.

"But he also knows that if you get the ball down and pass it to someone in the same shirt, then you are giving yourself a chance. That's why I like being here."

Falkirk and everyone else in the SPL should be grateful that our game has not seen the last of Russell Latapy.

L A T A P Y
     1 0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:13:07 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy the Showman must go on
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 07:44:18 PM »
"I'm having fun. The team gets the ball down and likes to pass it. The reality is that's the only way I could play. I couldn't be in a team which plays down the channels because I don't have the legs to begin with and, in my head, I have never seen football that way."

Yes he will be a great coach. . .

1. He is not full of himself; he is very concerned about others doing well. . .Great leader

2. Visionary. . . maintains a birds eye view of the entire pitch, complete with certain plays in his head

Ah think he will make a great coach. . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 08:08:28 PM »

Yes he will be a great coach. . .

1. He is not full of himself; he is very concerned about others doing well. . .Great leader

2. Visionary. . . maintains a birds eye view of the entire pitch, complete with certain plays in his head

Ah think he will make a great coach. . .

maybe so but why he dont bring that knowledge home
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »
Gold Cup time!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 09:32:41 PM »
maybe so but why he dont bring that knowledge home

I think he is itching to come home man. . . .But would you rush to come into a footballing situation the like of T&T right now???

After a few years after retirement I believe he will prove himself in Portugal and/or Scotland first then take the reins of T&T football.

Maybe it is just wishful thinking but I can see a scenario like this panning out ;D :D ;D :D
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:25:31 PM »
De general and meh idol, just keep making meh fell more and more proud of him. De Lawd alone know when de time reach, it will be ah real hard and close one tuh call fuh de T&T coaching job. Cuz meh idol seem tuh be on de right track fuh dat position, and of course Mr Dwight Yorke, he already proved tuh all of us what ah great leader and motivator he is. All dey would need, is tuh be groomed by a world class coach fuh a while, and then let them get ah chance at the head coaching job. A very interesting topic from my point of view, dat I will definitely be keeping ah watchful eye on fuh de future.  HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:32 AM »
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:45:29 PM »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile