March 28, 2024, 09:12:16 AM

Author Topic: No ban on Elton John  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No ban on Elton John
« on: March 15, 2007, 07:05:47 AM »
No ban on Elton John
published: Thursday | March 15, 2007

Despite calls by members of the Christian community in Tobago to ban self-confessed homosexual Elton John from appearing on the Plymouth Jazz Festival, the British singer will perform.

Three days ago the gay singer faced the possibility of being barred from entering Trinidad and Tobago as a result of a clause that exists in the island's immigration law that bars self-confessed homosexuals from entering the country.

According to the Immigration Act Sections E and F, self-confessed prostitutes and homosexuals are among those who can be blocked from entering the country.

Knighted by the queen

Sir Elton, who was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1997 for his charitable nature and contribution to music, and who headlines the event with the likes of former lead singer of the Temptations, Diana Ross, rhythm and blues singer Glady's Knight, three-time Grammy award winner Mary J Blige and LL Cool J, has stirred a silent protest by Tobagonians since the organisers made the announcement last November.

He is one of the closing acts on the three-day event, which commences on Friday, April 27 and ends Sunday, April 29.

Anthony Maharaj, chief executive officer of the festival in an interview with the Trinidad Express on Tuesday, said the singer's scheduled performance for the Jazz Festival should not have anything to do with his private life.

Maharaj reportedly said: "It was strange for me to to see the article in the Sunday Express. This country should be honoured to have Sir Elton perform in Tobago."

The controversy has received mixed reviews and readers on the newspaper website have lauded the singer, while some have condemned his lifestyle.

"Ridiculous! This is ridiculous!! Sir Elton should be allowed to perform. The man is a professional and should be allowed to ply his trade. There is more immortality in Trinidad that needs to be protested against than a gay performer. I thought Trinidad is where every creed and race find equal place, silly radicals and extremists," said the posting of a Trinidadian living in New York.

On the other hand, a reader, responding to a statement made that the attitude of the Trinidadians was Third World, said, "So we are Third World because we hold on to positive values? We have a huge problem with homosexuality in our population because unlike our foreign counterparts our free up nature and infrastructure cannot support the conditions of this lifetsyle."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: No ban on Elton John
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:18:50 AM »
eh ?

people really full ah shit ya know steups...
always remain backwards :-\

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:26:11 AM »
I would think that people in T&T would be more concerned about the kidnapping in the country and citizens who have still not been found/released since being kidnapped than one person's declared homosexulity. 

Hopefully, those people are in the minority.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:42:58 AM »
Of all places..Tobago, where man bulling man & woman for money.  All yuh ever see them on the beaches?  They like fackin pests, especially in the pubs.  Once you have money them fellas taking.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:43:33 AM »
i am not one to condone man bulling man,but the man is a legend in music.them worried about one homo entering the country,deal with de fukin crime allyuh c**ts.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
like they eh want the $ elton john go bring?

in addition to the usual "jazz festival" (where the jazz) patrons, u might have a set of bullers invading the island. them could spend money!

de tobago beachboys will make a killing plying their wood...i mean trade on bullerman.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »
No ban on Elton John

Three days ago the gay singer faced the possibility of being barred from entering Trinidad and Tobago as a result of a clause that exists in the island's immigration law that bars self-confessed homosexuals from entering the country.

he eh suppose to be here he breaking the law  :devil:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
he eh suppose to be here he breaking the law  :devil:

I guess they could waive the law when they want....they leggo the Barbados fisherman same way I suppose.

And watch how they would never make a move to change the law eh.   ::)

Offline Daddyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »
just make sure you dont bend over when he walks past you at the airport :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
If we had some bacon,we could have some bacon and eggs........................................................................................................................................................if we had some eggs.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 06:27:05 AM »
backward people.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 08:04:27 PM »
backward people.
wha happen jefferz yuh vex wid day law

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 07:39:41 AM »
backward people.
wha happen jefferz yuh vex wid day law

Is he same people who make the laws..ent?
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »
this story make it to the NY Post gossip pages.  I think it's misleading: it makes the opinion of one group appear to be consensus.  what denomination is the 'archdeacon of Trinidad & Tobago' affliliated with?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03182007/gossip/pagesix/temptation_island_pagesix_.htm

March 18, 2007 -- ELTON John is getting heat from the Caribbean island of Tobago. The rocker is supposed to play at the Plymouth Jazz Festival next month, but church officials want him banned, saying his presence could make locals want to sample homosexuality. Philip Isaac, archdeacon of Trinidad and Tobago, told the London Standard: "His visit to the island can open the country to be tempted towards pursuing his lifestyle." Festival reps insist the Rocket Man will perform.

and this is an article in the Independent

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2362756.ece

Elton John concert will corrupt Tobago, Archdeacon claims
By Geneviève Roberts
Published: 16 March 2007
Sir Elton John's appearance at a jazz festival on Tobago next month is expected to attract tourists from across the Caribbean, the US and Europe to the island.

But one man not looking forward to the performance is the Archdeacon of Trinidad and Tobago, the Venerable Philip Isaac.

The Archdeacon has suggested the singer and anti-Aids activist should be banned from the Plymouth Jazz Festival, because his presence may tempt islanders into homosexuality.

In what is believed to be the first campaign to stop the singer performing because of his sexuality, the Archdeacon said Sir Elton's lifestyle did not conform the biblical teaching that a "man should not lie with a man".

"The artiste is one of God's children and while his lifestyle is questionable he needs to be ministered unto. His visit to the island can open the country to be tempted towards pursuing his lifestyle," the Archdeacon told the Jamaica Gleaner newspaper

According to the island's immigration law, self-confessed prostitutes and homosexuals can be barred from entering the country. But it is thought that no one has ever been turned away at immigration. A Tobagan lawyer, Anand Ramlogan, has been consulted and has confirmed there is no law criminalising sexual orientation on the island.

Promoters of the Plymouth Jazz Festival said that Sir Elton would headline the event, despite the Archdeadon's comments.

Anthony Maharaj, the chief executive officer of the festival, said the singer's performance should not have anything to do with his private life and insisted the show would go on even if there were protests by church groups outside the event.

"Elton John is coming as what he is, one of the world greatest performers," Mr Maharaj said. "His band has performed in every country around the world. In Christian countries like Rome [sic] there has never been an objection. He is not coming here to preach about what lifestyle people should have. This country should be honoured to have Sir Elton John perform in Tobago."

He said the three-day event, where Sir Elton will perform alongside the former singer of the Temptations Diana Ross; the three-time Grammy award winner Mary J Blige and the rhythm and blues singer Gladys Knight, would draw tourists from across the world to the island. Tobago is currently trying to market itself as one of the most attractive destinations in the Caribbean. Sir Elton declined to comment on his appearance at the event, though it is understood that his scheduled performance - which will close the event which runs from 27 to 29 April - will go ahead as planned, despite any planned protests from the church.

Last year, he said that religion should be banned because it "promotes the hatred and spite against gays". He said: "I love the idea of the teachings of Jesus Christ and the beautiful stories about it, which I loved in Sunday school and I collected all the little stickers and put them in my book. But the reality is that organised religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

Alan Wardle, a spokesman for the gay equality campaign group Stonewall, said: "Most people in Tobago would be glad to see a singer like Elton perform. But I think his days as a 'tempter' are long behind him."

Homophobia and the Caribbean

* Brian Williamson, co-founder of the Jamaica Forum for Lesbians, All-Sexuals and Gays, was murdered at his home on the evening of World Aids Day in 2004.

* The lyrics of self-proclaimed king of dancehall Moses Davis, better known as Beenie Man, include "Well I'm think of a new Jamaica, me come to execute all of the gays". Protests against him performing in the UK last year led to the cancelling of his concert in Bournemouth. He says he is not homophobic, but that the word "gay" in Jamaica refers to rape, not consenting sex.

* Many islands have laws stating homosexuality is illegal, including Guyana, where males face life imprisonment for homosexual activity, and St Lucia, where it is 10 years.

* In 1999, the Cayman Islands prohibited an American cruise ship carrying 900 gay men from making their one-day stop.

* The head of the Jamaica Labour Party, Bruce Golding, said during his 2006 election campaign that "homosexuals would find no solace in any cabinet formed by him" according to Jamaica's Sunday Herald. During the 2001 elections, his party used the song "Chi-Chi Man" by T.O.K. Its lyrics celebrate the killing of gay men.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:35:44 PM by daryn »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 12:33:52 PM »
fya bun den to bloodclaut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
battyman fi dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
war..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »
Tourism boost for Tobago economy
Festival draws over $65 million
Elizabeth W Allard Sunday, May 20th 2007

Well over 65 million dollars has been generated in the Tobago economy following the staging of the 3rd Plymouth Jazz Festival, said Tourism Secretary Neil Wilson, at the Weekly Executive Council media briefing.

Wilson said he had estimated about 65 million would be spent in Tobago over the three days of the Jazz Festival. However information being professionally calculated by Leisure Hospitality and Tourism International Association the figure at present has well surpassed 65 million that,

The association has worked in collaboration with PRDI to sample 1,000 respondents with respect to the quality of the event, the funds spent by visitors on services while on the island, the standard of service delivered at the destination, the quality of the infrastructure provided etc.

While the study has not been completed findings confirm that original estimates were very conservative with a final report expected  in time for the next sitting of the Assembly.

Promoters of the Festival are considering an additional day of pure jazz featuring both local and high profile foreign jazz artistes, as it is proposed that quality events will be held in Tobago during Jazz Week and at the same time increase the jazz component of the festival.

The Express contacted CEO of festival organisers CL Communications Tony Maharaj who confirmed that while additional days will feature several jazz acts the three days of the Plymouth Jazz Festival will remain. This year, it has been estimated that approximately 40,000 persons attended the shows over the three nights, while 43,795 passengers travelled between Trinidad and Tobago and 3,210 to and from foreign countries.

As a result of a visit to Turkey two months ago by the Assembly, a group of 29 Turks visited Tobago for the Festival and several others have indicated their intention to visit later this year.

Domestic travel by air and sea combined in 2006 reflected an increase of over 150,000 more than what was achieved in 2005, and over the first four months of 2007 there has been an increase of 34,243 over 2006 numbers.

Wilson further added: "To date 467,457 passengers have utilised the sea and air services on the domestic route, and on the basis of these figures it is projected that approximately 1.4 million persons would have traveled between Trinidad and Tobago by December 31."

Wilson also revealed that the Blue Haven Hotel recently won the prestigious Sustainable Tourism Award from the Caribbean Tourism Organization which will be presented at the Governor's Ball on May 23 at the Casuarina Hotel and Spa.

In addition to this the Main Ridge has again been nominated for the World's leading Eco Destination, while the Blue Haven Hotel, Coco Reef and Gran Courland have all been nominated again for Caribbean Awards with the Tourism Office at Crown Point again nominated for Caribbean's best tourist office.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »
Right so for next year Jazz Festival in Tobago hosted by Ellen and or Jay Manuel

steups... 3rd world mentality ::)

now i don't know eh, but wasn't Elton John the headliner of the Festival? even surpass Diana Ross and Mary J Blige ???

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 09:39:13 PM by Rookmin V. Maharaj »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 12:46:45 AM »
Of all places..Tobago, where man bulling man & woman for money. All yuh ever see them on the beaches? They like fackin pests, especially in the pubs. Once you have money them fellas taking.
NO shit! for real? yuh mean tuh tell meh it have rent ah dread in bago ? and dey buggarin too? W T F. black man well f#@kin lost wee. and here i was beating meh chest and bragging to my yarddie friends, that we in T&T doh run after dem old washout dutty looking horney tourist, like allyuh rent ah dread bredders in negrill, mo bay, and ocho rios.( that's me breaking balls)  just when i thought it was these other little small island man who does monkey dey self for tourist, flipping on the beach and making deh self a fakin nussence, these bago men doing the same!! shame on them!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>