April 27, 2024, 03:38:59 PM

Author Topic: Bad timing for Carlos  (Read 1545 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bad timing for Carlos
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »
Bad timing for Carlos
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

With the doctors ruling him out of action for at least eight weeks following his shoulder injury two weekends ago against West Brom Albion, midfielder Carlos Edwards thinks once his recovery goes well, he could return to help Sunderland finish off their campaign at the end of the season.
Sunderland’s last scheduled league game is on May 6 against Edwards’ previous team Luton Town and if they are not automatic qualifiers for the Premiership by then, then he could also line up in the playoffs for them.
“The injury has come at a very bad time for me because we are at a critical time of the season and I was at my best if I could say so much,” Edwards said. “I picked up just where I left at the World Cup and I was chipping in with three goals for the club so far. This is a setback for me and also the club because I was contributing a good amount to the run of the team but football goes on and life goes on.”
Recalling the incident in which West Brom's Richard Chaplow tumbled him, Edwards told TTFF Media, "I got the ball and passed it but he got me on the follow through. It was more of a body check and I fell exact on the shoulder. The way it happened makes me worry less now because worse could have happened. At the time he came and acknowledged me with a tap on the shoulder but I was in real pain. I don't think he meant anything by it because it's a contact game and injuries happen all the time.
“It’s just a matter of getting through the rehab and I am usually a fast healer and even though I don’t want to rush it, I hope I could be back before the season is over. I am part of the manager’s plan for the promotion push but I’ll have to settle for cheering from the sidelines for the next few weeks,” added the ex-Defence Force player.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline safcpat

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bad timing for Carlos
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 01:27:15 PM »
We are all devastated about this Carlos,
You are a huge miss in the team
Please get well soon  :'(
I like you, you remind me of when I was young and stupid

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 02:15:42 PM »
We have missed Carlos so much in the last couple of games, I hope he is a fast healer as we will need him for the promotion push to the EPL  ;D

Carlos was seen at the Stoke game on Tuesday putting his coat on and he looked in a lot of pain...bad news for Sunderland
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 04:59:29 PM »
Carlos need a bush bath :P
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Xsniper

• Xsniper
  • New Warrior
  • " May all your Children be Generals "
    • View Profile
    • Fighting Fifth Fusiliers
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 03:10:15 AM »
 :)

Speedy Recovery mate you are needed at the Stadium you have done a magical job along with your compatriots  :beermug:

;)

May all your Children be Generals
http://groups.msn.com/fightingfifthfusiliers
" Quo Fata Vocant "

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Carlos' play-off fear
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
Carlos' play-off fear
The Northern Echo

16 Mar 2007

ONLY one clean sheet in five Championship matches has not dented Sunderland's promotion chances, but Carlos Edwards wants a return to miserly ways to ensure promotion is achieved during his absence.

Edwards has been ruled out for at least six weeks with a shoulder injury sustained in the showdown with West Brom on March 3, meaning his return could coincide with the play-offs.

But the Trinidad & Tobago winger wants the Black Cats to have a place in the top two wrapped up before then, preferring that to having the uncertainty of an end-of-season knock-out to concentrate on come May.

advertisementHe feels the sort of defensive displays that became the norm in the early part of 2007 are required. In the first seven games this year Sunderland kept six clean sheets.

Regular repeats of conceding two sloppy goals, as they did in the draw with Stoke City on Tuesday, could scupper Roy Keane's prediction that a couple of goals every match should result in Sunderland going up.

Keane's defensive options against Hull City tomorrow could be restricted if Jonny Evans is not passed fit. He was taken off on Tuesday with blurred vision and has been diagnosed with a whiplash problem.

"The manager has said if we score two goals every game we'll be promoted. I'm not too sure where he got that from - what if we concede three?" said Edwards, who had been in outstanding form before his injury, scoring three and assisting numerous others.

"The clean sheets we've kept are a positive but we need to start scoring goals. We're full of confidence and we know exactly what we have to do to get a result. The table is very close so every win makes a big difference."

But, while Edwards feels helpless in not being able to contribute to the promotion push, he believes Keane's influence is continuing to rub off on the squad he has formed.

"The gaffer's played under some of the best managers in the game and he just wants his players to do the same things he did - work hard and enjoy themselves," said the former Luton man.

"He just tells us to go out and enjoy it. When you're enjoying it you play better. Everyone has their own way they would like their teams to play. He wants us to try to play football and enjoy it. But he also wants us to win."

Antony Stokes has been named in the Republic of Ireland squad for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Wales and Slovakia on March 24 and 28.

West Brom boss Tony Mowbray may have to dip into the transfer market after skipper Curtis Davies was ruled out for the rest of the season.

The 22-year-old central defender suffered a broken metatarsal during the first half of the Baggies' 3-2 defeat to Crystal Palace at the Hawthorns on Wednesday.

The Baggies are now seven points adrift of second-placed Derby and Mowbray admits Davies' injury is a ''big blow'' to his side's promotion hopes.

He said: ''Curtis has been an inspiration to us defensively. I'm sure I'll be making some calls and checking on the availability of one or two players as we are pretty thin on the ground.'

1]; } ?>