April 28, 2024, 04:44:32 PM

Author Topic: Cricket World Cup Opening ceremony A Promotion of Jamaica or the Caribbean?...  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Glitzy start
Spectacular ceremony kicks off Cricket World Cup
BY MARK CUMMINGS Observer staff reporter cummingsm@jamaicaobserver.com
Monday, March 12, 2007

FLORENCE HALL, Trelawny - The ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 got under way yesterday with a spectacular opening ceremony at the US$32-million Trelawny Multi-purpose stadium, witnessed by a capacity crowd and an estimated 2.6 billion people across the globe.

The lavish launch, full of pomp and pageantry, began promptly at 5:15 pm against the backdrop of an unobscured view of the beautiful Caribbean Sea and the historic town of Falmouth.
And as the music from the massed bands and Corps of the Drums of the Jamaica Defence Force signalled the start of the world's third largest sporting event, Caribbean nationals in Jamaica and around the globe breathed a collective sigh of relief that months of planning were finally paying off.

EXPLOSIVE START: Fireworks light up the sky over the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium in spectacular fashion last night, signalling the start of Cricket World Cup 2007. Following yesterday's opening ceremony hosts West Indies will take on Pakistan tomorrow in the opening game at Sabina Park. (Photo: Garfield Robinson) 

It was a proud moment for the Caribbean when West Indies cricket great Sir Garfield Sobers officially declared the tournament open, amidst a spectacular fireworks display that illuminated the night sky over the newly constructed stadium.

"On behalf of the West Indies, it is my honour and privilege to declare this ninth tournament of the ICC Cricket World Cup officially opened," Sobers said to tumultuous applause.
Jamaica's Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller, who was also among the throng of government representatives of cricket-playing nations in attendance at the nearly three-hour-long ceremony, used the occasion to urge visitors to the island to share in the warmth of the country's hospitality.

"This is the land of reggae music, great entertainment and we are thrilled to embrace you in the warmth of our unique brand of Jamaican hospitality," Simpson Miller said. "While here, we invite you to share in the wonders and delights of Jamaica."
Her colleague, prime minister of Grenada and chairman of Caricom's Prime Ministerial sub-committee on cricket, Dr Keith Mitchell, in his brief remarks noted that cricket in the region is more than a game: "It is an important part of our national pride and national psyche."

A section of the capacity audience at yesterday's CWC 2007 opening ceremony in Trelawny. (Photo: Michael Gordon) 

"For us, World Cup 2007 is not just a prestigious cricket tournament. It is the realisation of a great dream. It is also the birth of a new dawn in which Caribbean countries accomplished the difficult task of coming together as a harmonious and committed unit to pursue the lofty goal and the common goal for making World Cup 2007 a resounding success," Mitchell said.

Yesterday's opening ceremony didn't come cheap. In fact, there have been numerous squabbles between Jamaica's ruling People's National Party (PNP) and the Opposition Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) over the amount of money that was spent by the country to host the event.

Jamaica, one of nine Cricket World Cup host Caribbean countries, spent at least J$8 billion to prepare the country for the tournament. Of this amount, a combined US$60 million was spent on the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium and on Sabina Park in Kingston. Region-wide, more than US$400 million was pumped into the staging of CWC.

In his opening statement yesterday, Mitchell noted that his island, which was devastated by hurricanes Emily and Ivan just over two years ago, could have regulated the tournament to an insignificant tournament, but it did not.
"In our period of national crisis we could see the importance and many advantages of hosting the World Cup. So Grenada rededicated and recommitted itself to making it a reality and success," Mitchell said.

Throughout the evening, thousands of people who travelled from near and far cheered incessantly, particularly during the rich cultural package which depicted the colours and diversity of Caribbean culture.

The splendid entertainment package showcased the talents of popular international reggae artistes Sean Paul, Shaggy, Jimmy Cliff, The I Threes, Sly & Robbie, Beres Hammond, Buju Banton, Gregory Isaacs, Third World and Lucky Dube.
The line-up also included first lady of soca Alison Hinds from Barbados; St Vincent's international singing talent, Kevin Lyttle; and calypsonians Arrow from Montserrat and Trinidadian David Rudder.

All of the nine host venues were represented in the celebration of the spirit of the Caribbean at the function. A cast of stilt-walkers also performed at the glittering ceremony, paying tribute to the Caribbean's cricket prowess over the years.
President of the West Indies Cricket Board, Kenneth Gordon, in his remarks delivered by board member Valetine Banks, expressed confidence that the region will experience the "best World Cup ever".

He noted that the region had constructed or rebuilt 12 stadia, mobilised and invested more than US$400 million, employed more than 900 people and inspired legislation, which he said have dramatically deepened the Caribbean community.
"This is the most ambitious event ever undertaken by the collective Caribbean," Gordon said. He added that during the 49 days of the tournament, more than 100,000 visitors are expected to be in the region for the competition.

Managing director and CEO of ICC Cricket World Cup 2007, Chris Dehring lauded the governments and the thousands of volunteers in the region for what he said was their "foresight and courage" in working alongside the West Indies Cricket Board in staging the historic event.
"This evening I am immensely proud to be a West Indian," Dehring said, adding that over the next six weeks the world would see the best cricketers on earth performing.
President of the International Cricket Council, Percy Sonn, said it was highly appropriate that the tournament is being held in the Caribbean.

"The West Indies, as this grouping of the nations is known, must rank amongst the most idyllic, certainly romantic, and definitely stunning aesthetic of cricketing venues on the globe," Sonn said.
West Indies captain Brian Lara gave the players' declaration, while record-breaking Jamaican umpire Steve Bucknor read the oath on behalf of the umpires.
Sixteen teams are competing for the trophy, currently held by Australia.

The first game of the tournament - the world's third largest sporting event - begins tomorrow with the West Indies playing Pakistan at Sabina Park in Kingston. The competition ends on April 28 with the final in Barbados

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:30:24 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Who saw the opening ceremony last night? there was a discussion on i9.95 FM this morning(going on now in a way )  about the opening ceremony more promoting jamaica rather  than the diversity of the Caribbean . Several callers expressed their disgust , this bring us right back to what ah does alway say caribbean unity is a myth. Umbala stated that Jamaican  Prime Minister "Sista P" said Jamaica is the most island in the Caribbean she got up and start clapping .... Again did not see the show but was not shocked at all !!!!!  everyman look out fuh the own (except trinidadians not all). when we host carifesta everyone perform not a one sided thing...

Remember in 1979  the netball competion remember Williams say 1 from 10 leave 0....  :o

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:42:43 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Who saw the opening ceremony last night? there was a discussion on i9.95 FM this morning(going on now in a way )  about the opening ceremony more promoting jamaica rather  than the diversity of the Caribbean . Several callers expressed their disgust , this bring us right back to what ah does alway say caribbean unity is a myth. Umbala stated that Jamaican  Prime Minister "Sista P" said Jamaica is the most island in the Caribbean she got up and start clapping .... Again did not see the show but was not shocked at all !!!!!  everyman look out fuh the own (except trinidadians not all). when we host carifesta everyone perform not a one sided thing...

Remember in 1979  the netball competion remember Williams say 1 from 10 leave 0....  :o

I would like to think that all the islands represented in the team would have participated in the coordinating this event.  So where were their voices?  If Jamaica's voice was stronger, then whose fault is that.  Hopefully, T&T will do something for the games being played their.

The other issue is the confusion between Caribbean and West Indian.  All West Indian islands are part of the Caribbean but not all Caribbean nations are West Indian.  This may account for lack of unity I susppose.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
I didn't see the ceremony so I may be talking out my uhmm...knee...

It's a human thing to want your own to triumph. Look at the way the country reacted when pan was pulled out of the savannah and sent south. It was north vs south. Men lauged when the south bands fell short of the mark. Look at the way Cascade might laud it over Laventille, look at how easy it was for Panday to split the country along ethnic lines...and so on.

It is very natural for the Jamaican PM to stand when her country is applauded, why not? Let's be fair. When T&T is mentioned here, I clap louder. When our guys were in Germany we got horse correcting people that NO it wasn't Jamaica, NO it was the Caribbean, YES it was T&T! I had big noise with some Brits over our last game at the games.

Becoming a Caribbean one-ity doesn't mean you have to lose your island-ity. I think that is the mistake folks are making. Uniting gives the region more economic clout in the world and enables the region to becoming far more self-sufficient.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile

:applause: :applause:
any body have any sound or video clips,
Thanks
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
I saw a good bit of it.

It had Indian dancers, moko jumbies, "flame throwers", Machel open the performances:
The dance choreography, the costumes, what was looking like King and Queen costumes...I even heard Warrior Spirit was one of them and our Carnival King was there.

Yea it had plenty Reggae artistes but I was satisfied there was representation. Lara said the players pledge, and Sobers opened the WC.  Rupee, Shaggy and Patrice Roberts sang the official song.

U can't really be surprised there was a heavy JA signature cuz it was held there and we all know they proud of their culture.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD
Machel and Caribbean stars start the show
An itinerant series by Andy Johnson

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
I saw a good bit of it.

It had Indian dancers, moko jumbies, "flame throwers", Machel open the performances:
The dance choreography, the costumes, what was looking like King and Queen costumes...I even heard Warrior Spirit was one of them and our Carnival King was there.

Yea it had plenty Reggae artistes but I was satisfied there was representation. Lara said the players pledge, and Sobers opened the WC.  Rupee, Shaggy and Patrice Roberts sang the official song.

U can't really be surprised there was a heavy JA signature cuz it was held there and we all know they proud of their culture.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD
Machel and Caribbean stars start the show
An itinerant series by Andy Johnson
triniman did u see the opening ceremony?
do u argree wihtt he i95 discussion?
because in no way was the presentation ja biased.
comments based on jus specualtive information dangerous. insofar as it possible comments should eb made on first had evidence. see and decide for your self. 
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
I won't even try to sugar coat this. That show was a Jamaican showcase with a few guest artistes. They sang the Jamaican anthem instead of the new Caribbean anthem or at least Rally round the West Indies. Prime Minister mentioned the Caribbean as an afterthought. I won't lose any sleep over this but I can't say that I was pleased at all.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
man dat ting was ah jamaican ting straight wid one two items from de c'bean. ah mean tuh say all dem calypsoes dat were sang about cricket n dey cudna give ah man ah bligh and wah bout dem chutney dancers all seem tuh be blak wid de exception ah one(like dey cudna hook up ah shiv shaki or one ah dem guyanese group) really n truely dat was ah reggae/dancehall show wid some carnival mas involve no soca artiste got a fair run n there were only ah few(machel wid alison hinds and kevin lyttle), not even dah famous jazz player from st. lucia was there, no steel band(from wat i saw i'm hopin dat i missed it) and wen dey finally brought out some bamboo i tort i was goin n see some limbo which i didnt(also hopin i missed dis part too)lol

all n all probably de best tuh date but cud have been alot better

sorry fuh de ressah island dem
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
You know, whole year around the urban stations play hip hop, R&B, dancehall and no one complains about representation of local music. From December 26th to Ash Wednesday they play only current soca and that is considered appreciating our local music. Thank goodness for 105.1 and Iwer. At any rate, how often do you see a group of West Indians and the music of choice among them is dancehall or reggae? Doesn't dancehall and reggae represent a large part of West Indian culture?

I don't see why the big fuss for the composition of the show. While the performing artists were predominantly Jamaican the costumes and dancing was not. Why harp on one thing and ignore the other? My major complaint about the show was that it was a bit too long, but that was me remembering the opening ceremonies I've been to and how I felt about sitting in the stands through all the performances. All in all, not a bad show.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
D planet football man comments

Peter R 
Posted Today @ 2:44:36 PM       

Reggae Junior

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:08:31 PM
 I saw most of the show myself and I am not surprised that Nam's response is as it is, nor other negative comments that I overheard and were in fact said to me... which went "allyuh Jamaican don' know it have odder islans.. blah blah blah"; oh just shut up an go heng yuh head whe de sun don' shine was my inner response; but I didn't say much other than " so what" " the show was in Jamaica" " whe unuh expek? a Trinidadian show?" ; after all you have to have some diplomacy.

The fact is, as Jack Warner said, the locals in T&T NOT even putting on any kind of cultural shows/ village to showcase their own culture during the matches being held in T&T.. "so unuh tap complain".

BTW it was the VP of the WICB who said Jamaica was the most beautiful of the nine host islands and I do not think he is a Jamaican; obviously he has visited them all and along with a whole lot of truth also pandered to the largely Jamaican audience... so flipping what? if it was in T&T dem woudda talk bout "greatest show on earth reh reh"; kill wi wid soca an chutney; have plenty carnival parade a gwaan etc. etc. The fact is JA got the opening ceremony; any complaints tek it to unuh respective PMs.

It indeed was largely a Jamaican concert, at least fifty percent but nobody coudda seh dem get lef out including a couple Irish acts and South African (that I saw)... the show itself started slow, the TV feed was very bad but as the show went on the sound improved and with the setting of the sun the show picked up pace and was quite entertaining.

One criticism I thought was Sean Paul's choice of song in his medley when he sang/deejayed about "...  you mekkin me feel HORNY..." and "...givin me blue balls..."

Other than that I wouldn't say fantastic, but the small minders will always complain.

If the small minders would only recognize that it is in THEIR very complaining that the insularity reigns.... SSDD

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ask any white man or Asian about the Caribbean, not the West Indies, and they would tell you it's Jamaica.  The Jimmy Cliff's and Bares' are more famous then our artists.

This eh about we.  It's about TV revenues and tourism.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I watched most of it and while it did cover Jamaican artist frequently it had its decent share of other T&T artitse. Caribbean music is reggae and calypso which featured heavily and I felt this captured the rythm of the region, however some other islands could have been better represented (Might be due to other factors as well) Honestly reggae is the better known of the two artforms globally. My folks on the other hand might say something completely different.

ps....the show was in Jamica too so it was expected  ;D

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Saw the opening ceremony on TV last night and personally I thought it was excellent and amazing... Finally it feels like a world cup is taking place in the Caribbean...

Just a few observations..

1. A few too many reggae acts for my liking.. Granted the opening ceremony was in Jamaica I would have liked to see some other West Indian/Caribbean genres take centre stage like music from the smaller islands and French speaking islands..

2. That indian dance group wasn't too choreographed and in timing.. Not to discriminate but too many black girls in de troupe who moving not enough head and too much waist... I wouldve preferred to see the Shiv Shakti dancers rather than the Shiv Shaka dancers..   Grin

3. David Rudder bring de house down with High Mas, but he coulda sing Rally Round the West Indies... In my opinion, the greatest cricketing moment for the West Indies is a place befitting a timeless masterpiece of music dedicated to West Indian cricket.

Other than that was an amazing spectacle....

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i watch the cermony too...it was really done well

ah feel ah tear of joy when ah see rudder come on stage, de man had de whole stadium moving.  :'(

:beermug: :beermug:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Anything that was lacking in the opening ceremony may have been the fault of other countries including T&T.
Might be possible that the other countries just didn't contribute as originally agreed?

Trinidad Express
Rickey Singh
Wednesday, March 14th 2007
Questions on cricket's 'culture show'

:
It may be tempting to heap criticisms on the host country's Local Organising Committee (LOC) until time is taken to speak with its representatives.

In so doing one can learn of the Caricom states, foremost being Trinidad and Tobago, that had featured significantly in early preparatory arrangements for support in important areas for pan music, carnival bands and the East Indian cultural component (along with also multi-cultural Guyana) but failed to deliver.

Late decisions to avoid participation in the CWC 2007 cultural show by some countries contributed to some of the problems that had to be hurriedly overcome.

:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:30:52 PM by dcs »

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Late decisions to avoid participation in the CWC 2007 cultural show by some countries contributed to some of the problems that had to be hurriedly overcome.

:

that's effed up!!!!!  i wonder who was on the cards to perform and whose decision it was to cancel?
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
What I thought was pro-Jamaican and did not reflect the multi-island spirit that is the West Indies was the Jamaican PM's saying, "Welcome to Jamaica!" at the end of her speech.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What I thought was pro-Jamaican and did not reflect the multi-island spirit that is the West Indies was the Jamaican PM's saying, "Welcome to Jamaica!" at the end of her speech.

That I can agree with.

She should have at least said welcome to the West Indies, even if she also said welcome to Jamaica.
No excuse for that.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Insularity killing us! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The whole thing is just much of a muchness.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The whole thing is just much of a muchness.

???

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That was a fantastic opening ceremony with a good mix of everything on the whole and i have to echo Chris Dehring's words- 'it makes me proud to be a West Indian' after watching that.

1]; } ?>