June 16, 2024, 02:30:35 PM

Author Topic: Lloyd Best Dies  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lloyd Best Dies
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:56:22 PM »
Heard on the news today that Lloyd Best died after a long battle with cancer He was 73

http://guardian.co.tt/news7.html   
A GREAT LOSS
    * T&T loses iconic intellectual.
    * Best kept working through his illness.
    * A Caribbean nationalist with a broad view of the world

BY CAROL MATROO

MERE days after the deaths of two icons—journalist extraordinaire George Radcliffe John and calypsonian The Mighty Terror—another great mind has been called to the Great Beyond.

Educator, politician and economist Lloyd Algernon Best lost the battle after a long bout with prostate cancer.

He was 73. He celebrated his birthday on February 27.

His wife, journalist Sunity Maharaj, said Best died at 2.20 pm in his bed, within the loving embrace of his family.

Best’s death was the third of prominent Trinidadians since last week, when veteran journalist George John and calypsonian Fitzgerald “The Mighty Terror” Henry passed on.

Even though he was in failing health, two weeks before his death Best was hard at work with his colleague Dr Eric St Cyr completing his newest work titled Economic Policy and Management Choices: A Contemporary Economic History of Trinidad and Tobago 1950-2005.

Principal of the University of the West Indies, St Augustine, Dr Bhoendradath Tewarie said Best knew he was on his final journey.

Best was a lecturer at UWI for many years.

He knew his time was near and he knew he was going. He said goodbye to me in a way I would always remember.

I went to see him last week and had a wonderful, but brief conversation and exchange. I am really happy that I went,” Tewarie said in a telephone interview yesterday.

He described Best as a “warm human being, extremely generous in spirit, discerning and intuitive.

He was a thorough Trinidadian, but a genuine Caribbean nationalist.

He was also very cosmopolitan and had a broad view of the world, could always compare and connect things and evaluate things in a way that was unique and vital.

It’s not the kind of mind you get every day, perhaps one in a million,” Tewarie said.

Best leaves to mourn his wife Sunity, and his six children, Robert, Jean-Jacques, Stuart, Kamla, Carmel and Ayiti-Carmel.

Guardian editor-in-chief Dominic Kalipersad, who knew Best for many years, said:

Lloyd Best was an intellectual icon, a great Caribbean thinker, who influenced economics, politics and culture in a profound way.”

Funeral arrangements are to be announced.

LLOYD BEST was among an elite clique of the best political and economic brains in the country.

His theories and analyses were impressive, although he sometimes boggled many with his intellect.

Best was educated at Tacarigua Anglican School and later at Queen’s Royal College.

He graduated from the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford, England.

In 1957 Best joined the Faculty of UWI in Mona, Jamaica, and remained in academic employment until 1976, when he resigned to work full-time at the Tapia Central Office, of which he was the founder.

Best had an extensive and productive career which enriched and empowered the lives of many.

Among the endless list of posts that he held, Best was a lecturer in economics and a visiting professor, Institute of International Relations, at UWI.

He was also Guest Fellow, Institute of Policy Studies and Guest Scholar, Latin American Programme, Woodrow Wilson International Centre for Scholars, Smithsonian Institute, both of which were in the United States.

He was a founder of the Tapia House Movement, founding member of the New World Movement, a founding editor of the New World Quarterly and publisher of Tapia.

Best was also the leader of the Opposition in the Senate in 1974-'75 and 1981-'83.

Before his death, Best held the positions of publisher and managing director of the T&T Review and was the retired director of the T&T Institute of the West Indies.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:58:58 PM by Patterson »

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd Best Dies
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »
yeah so did i.
one of trinidad and the caribbeans best and brightest.
best economist the carbbean ever had
RIP mr best
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:01:57 PM »
yeah so did i.
RIP mr best

I really enjoyed listening to his discussions and analyses.........i actually understood what he used to be talking about..... not over yuh head like the other intellectuals like selwyn ryan......used to look forward to his columns
RIP Mr Best

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »
yeah so did i.
RIP mr best

I really enjoyed listening to his discussions and analyses.........i actually understood what he used to be talking about..... not over yuh head like the other intellectuals like selwyn ryan......used to look forward to his columns
RIP Mr Best

um he use to eb talkign english?? ???
lol to much heights with ryan oui...
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:16:15 PM »
wah was the name ah the political party he started , alyuh feel he would ah make ah good PM ?
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »
this is a great loss...death really does come in threes...terror, george john now best.   

p.s. personally i don't find selwyn ryan too hard to understand, i like his columns actually

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
wah was the name ah the political party he started , alyuh feel he would ah make ah good PM ?

Tapia House Movement/Group.... that evolved into the present day Trinidad and Tobago Institute of the West Indies (TTIWI)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:19:35 PM »
R.I.P  Lloyd Best O.C.C.

1 more from the Golden era gone.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »
RIP Dr. Best.....fellahs put aside allyuh masculinity and get yuh prostate check. Yes, it kinda uncomfortable but in the end is yuh health and life yuh talking about.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 09:45:53 PM »
RIP...probably one of the first political and economic writers that I used to read from de time i was 12.. In my limited experience he used to seem to make plenty sense
Back in Trini...

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »
Yuh have to wonder why he never got his chance in politics...a brilliant man with a genuine heart.  :(

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »
Yuh have to wonder why he never got his chance in politics...a brilliant man with a genuine heart.  :(

This makes me real sad...We just lost one of the most intelligent men from our ranks...RIP LB
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:11:21 AM by noname »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 12:10:35 PM »
allyuh, this man deserve a proper entry in wikipedia. when i get some time i will start to compile some references.

1]; } ?>